Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment .. ?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi Ya'll ..

Im a big lover of hip hop and rap and i've always wasnted to create my own beatz and stuff .. Was just wondering were i could get equipment and what you would recommend for a starter .. If you know any good websites or any shops in the Dublin region please let ma know :D

Tnx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

a laptop with a USB soundcard, and a bunch of software.

Thats all you really need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Beg to differ, lot of hip hop guys I've run into use something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC3OU7mfQj8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i use an mpc 2000xl to make hiphop, imo its the best mpc for a beginner in terms of balance of quality and price, you should pick one up used off ebay for about 500

the main pieces of equipment commonly used to make hiphop are the asr-10, sp1200 and the various other mpc models, amongst many others of course

compression is also very important in hiphop as a genre

if you decide to go with software then check out fl studio, its cheap and has a low learning curve, there is also a demo available

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Spell all plural wordz ending with Z, wear over sized hoodiez, olde skool Nike Air & a baseball cap at a jaunty angle and hey presto. Oh, one other thing, BUY AN MPC!!!
    MC Frob has spoken. :cool:

frobisher wrote: »
    Spell all plural wordz ending with Z, wear over sized hoodiez, olde skool Nike Air & a baseball cap at a jaunty angle and hey presto. Oh, one other thing, BUY AN MPC!!!
    MC Frob has spoken. :cool:

maybe thats where i'm going wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

ALSO RTFM! I mean, read stickies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

u forgot the bling frob

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

honestly dont waste all your money on hardware.an mpc isnt a necessity.go all software and your money will go further and you wont be restricted in the slightest.
    people need to move with the times

seannash wrote: »
    honestly dont waste all your money on hardware.an mpc isnt a necessity.go all software and your money will go further and you wont be restricted in the slightest.
    people need to move with the times

a decent software package costs just as much if not more than an mpc and makes the music making process ten times less interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Neurojazz wrote: »
    u forgot the bling frob

Damn! How could I forget! Whatever you do, be sure to bring the bling! :p

But in seriousness, I know alot of guys making hip hop on all sorts of equipment. Everyone one of them loves their MPC above all else, except maybe their decks. It is one of the definitive tools of the trade. Can you use other gear? Of course you can. Try the options for yourself and make an informed decision. THen go buy an MPC. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Strange that the best peice of music i've ever heard in my life was played right out of an mpc2000, but i'd say that if your making music at home, get a computer and some trigger pads to have the same feel. If you plan to go out and party, go for a mpc... they are fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

indough wrote: »
    a decent software package costs just as much if not more than an mpc and makes the music making process ten times less interesting
    look at the price of soft synths compared to hardware ones.plus theres tons of freeware apps out there too

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭YungJoshy

Ok people i think im going to go with the Mpc200xl .. seems 2 farely basic .. Do i need anythin else .. ? maybe a Keyboard 4 like the string sound and stuff .. ?

Advertisement