Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Article

• 28-05-2008 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Eircom League Focus: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/features/eircomleague/

Really everyone must read this.

Everyone that has posted in this thread so far I mentioned in my original post, but I didn't want to sound like I was sucking dick, so I left out the names of people we should follow. I also didn't want to leave out any names that I might have forgot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Very good read. And you really have to agree with most of what he's saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fair play dude, thanks for posting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

A nice read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I was just about to post that article. Quality read, even if it was written by a cricket fan.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

In fairness, everything he says is right on the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Even if your a staunch Irish EPL/Serie A/La Liga fan you couldn't possibly say that this article is not right on the money.

I actually agree with GavinShels signature on reflection.

I actually agree with GavinShels signature on reflection.

Why thank you, I thought it up all by myself during a Maths exam in school or something.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Interesting read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Great read but what exactly is new or ground breaking about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

?

• Advertisement

Someone's actually said it in the media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Here's another excellent read from the Indo that's got an airing on football365 and elsewhere... ManU fans, and bandwagoner and barstoolers, look away now. :p

Man Utd men share in the miracle of martyrdom

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Interesting read.

Very good article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I read that, and even as a Man United fan, I can see the point. And I know the exact people they speak of.
    (my ''other'' team are Stuttgart, so don't be saying I'm a glory hunter)

Another great article, but I prefer the first as it sums up the Irish football culture to a tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I read that, and even as a Man United fan, I can see the point. And I know the exact people they speak of.
    (my ''other'' team are Stuttgart, so don't be saying I'm a glory hunter)

I do find it ironic how you've gotten the point but automatically assume its not about you.

DSB wrote: »
    I do find it ironic how you've gotten the point but automatically assume its not about you.
    Well I mean my family never supported Irish clubs, it was always English clubs (and Stuttgart), so it would have been strange for me to support any team.
    Also, in Crumlin we haven't got a ''local'' team.
    ...In saying that, I am giving it a try. I can only make it to 1 - 2 Stuttgart matches a year, so I miss live football. So, I'm going to my 1st Shels match on Friday!

Well I mean my family never supported Irish clubs, it was always English clubs (and Stuttgart), so it would have been strange for me to support any team.
    ...In saying that, I am giving it a try. I can only make it to 1 - 2 Stuttgart matches a year, so I miss live football. So, I'm going to my 1st Shels match on Friday!

In Wexford?

I didn't mean to be harsh about it or anything. I was just pointing out that I'm sure 99% of the people in question would give the same sort of response. Class that you're coming to the match on Friday. See you there.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    In Wexford?

Wexford is a home game.

In Wexford?
    No it's Wexford Youths in Tolka, is it?

No it's Wexford Youths in Tolka, is it?

It's in Tolka, don't mine Des he hasn't made many matches this year.:rolleyes:

Well in all fairness does every area have to have a team at their doorstop to support. Sure takes me an hour some weeks to get to Tolka but well I don't care. Sure Tallaght will be up and running soon.;)

Gav lives in Marioland and Luigi wouldn't set up a local team so he had to settle for Shels.

Sure Tallaght will be up and running soon.;)
    And get the 77?!
    Hahahaha yeah I'd be lucky if I came back with a toenail.

Well I mean my family never supported Irish clubs, it was always English clubs

This is what the EL 'Ultras' cant fathom, a lot of Irish people just dont jump a bandwagon, people are influenced by family, friends etc. in following a team or league. Following English clubs isnt a fad, its a long held tradition.

hunter164 wrote: »
    Gav lives in Marioland and Luigi wouldn't set up a local team so he had to settle for Shels.

Not at all, all due to my dads mate Joe Reynolds (one of Shels best ever defenders I'm told).

This is what the EL 'Ultras' cant fathom, a lot of Irish people just dont jump a bandwagon, people are influenced by family, friends etc. in following a team or league. Following English clubs isnt a fad, its a long held tradition.
    Yeah thats how it was for me (and a lot of other people).
    eg. I ''inherited'' Man U from my Uncle, my brother got it from me etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

hunter164 wrote: »

Then as much as it pains me to say, he should support the Super Mario Bohs. :(

I still can't believe they brought that embarassment of banner to a game.

Not at all, all due to my dads mate Joe Reynolds (one of Shels best ever defenders I'm told).

Gav don't lie right we all know the "Tenters" is a magical place.....

Nah I'm only buzzing the "Tenters" is real.

I don't think anyone was debating whether following English clubs was a new thing.

I don't think anyone was debating whether following English clubs was a new thing.

Nope but the tone of it appears to be debating whether its a bad thing or not (its not)

Nah I don't think liking the Premiership is wrong, living the life of a football fan through a TV is a bit detached from reality though.

Nah I don't think liking the Premiership is wrong, living the life of a football fan through a TV is a bit detached from reality though.
    Well I mean if you're ''born into it'' and you aren't loaded, you don't really have a choice about watching the club you support on TV or not

• Advertisement

Well I mean if you're ''born into it'' and you aren't loaded, you don't really have a choice about watching the club you support on TV or not

So in essence you're not actually supporting the club at all?

So in essence you're not actually supporting the club at all?
    Well I mean it feels like you do. I would be of the opinion that watching football on TV is a pale imitation of the live experience too. But realistically I can't be going to Manchester every weekend.

Well I mean it feels like you do. I would be of the opinion that watching football on TV is a pale imitation of the live experience too. But realistically I can't be going to Manchester every weekend.

Thats pretty much the exact same way I feel to be honest. I mean I like Villa and I watch their games on TV and own the jerseys, but as far as being an actual fan, Shels are my team.

Well said but you shouldn't buy the jerseys.

Thats pretty much the exact same way I feel to be honest. I mean I like Villa and I watch their games on TV and own the jerseys, but as far as being an actual fan, Shels are my team.
    Thats me there (except haven't been to a match yet). But I mean I watch all the Man U and Stuttgart I can, and I try to go over a fair bit. (it's tough to get other Irish Stuttgart fans to go with :p)

• Advertisement

Thats me there (except haven't been to a match yet). But I mean I watch all the Man U and Stuttgart I can, and I try to go over a fair bit. (it's tough to get other Irish Stuttgart fans to go with :p)

Why do you support Stuttgart anyway? Or if it was inherited from a family member, why do they?

Why do you support Stuttgart anyway? Or if it was inherited from a family member, why do they?
    Heh, cos we originally came from near Stuttgart (around 1900) so since then it's just been tradition! And plus for a while they were the most unfashionable club in Germany, which I think drew a few back ;)

Leave early on Friday to get to Tolka.

Celine Dion is playing in Croker that night.

Traffic wil be a bleedin' nightmare.

Leave early on Friday to get to Tolka.

Celine Dion is playing in Croker that night.

Traffic wil be a bleedin' nightmare.
    I'm getting the bus and then walking with a friend so I'd say it'll be grand.
    Bleedin Celine Dion...

I'm getting the bus and then walking with a friend so I'd say it'll be grand.
    Bleedin Celine Dion...

I'm telling you, it won't.

The busses will be packed.

Leave early.

The bus has to get down O'Connell Street then up Dorset Street/Drumcondra Road.

Nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Nothing new or ground breaking and people dont want to be told that they are hypocrites or glory hunters.

bohsman wrote: »
    people dont want to be told that they are hypocrites or glory hunters.

Kinda stating the obvious there.

bohsman wrote: »
    Nothing new or ground breaking and people dont want to be told that they are hypocrites or glory hunters.

stop sucking lemons;)

-yours truly, hypocritical glory hunting Villa fan.

"Kinda stating the obvious there."

Yea but if you read any of the countless glory hunter v holier than thou threads over the years very few seem to realise that.

stop sucking lemons;)

-yours truly, hypocritical glory hunting Villa fan.

Im saying its a bad article, Ed Leahy is calling Utd and Celtic fans glory hunters, not me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement