Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Article

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Draupnir wrote: »
    Well then Des, I think you have settled this, Ireland produces notoriously poor quality bananas. Must be all the rain and cold weather. :)

Best comeback I ever read on Boards.

Well done. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I concur Mr.Alan. Des can testify to my appearance at a table quiz in Tolka Park once to support Shelbourne when they were trying to raise funds. I would have a more natural affinity for Bohs though, which is the main reason I wouldn't go to Tolka Park.

The main reason I don't go to Dalymount anymore is because I don't like the atmosphere created there which to me is too hostile and has always made me slightly uncomfortable rather than enjoy myself. I would always look out for Bohs in results and the media however. I think this points to me being a potential match goer again should the Dalymount (or new stadium) experience change for the better.

I must investigate a game soon to see if it's different since I last went.

DesF wrote: »
    Best comeback I ever read on Boards.

Well done. :D

Cheers, can I have a game next Tuesday now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Secondly, why does it bother eL fans so much that some people prefer to support the EPL? Surely if you like the eL and support a club in that league, that should be enough for you? Does this argument crop up so regularly and cause so much problem for eL fans because you know that without increased support the league will never grow enough to compete in Champions League's etc. therefore you hope that continuous badgering of EPL fans will help your club achieve your dreams for them?

Well here's a very simple answer money. Both Shamrock Rovers (Irelands' most successful club) and Shelbourne (Irelands' third most successful club) were on the brink of dieing in the last 5 years, not to mention 3 clubs not being so fortunate (Dublin City, Limerick FC and Kilkenny City).

Shelbourne and Ollie Byrne tried to work miracles and get Ireland to a decent standard of football, he took a chance and look were we are now, because the thousands who turned up for a Champions League games never returned.

Cheers, can I have a game next Tuesday now?

Will you be there?

If you are, you'll probably get a game alright.

The main reason I don't go to Dalymount anymore is because I don't like the atmosphere created there which to me is too hostile

It's a football stadium not a tennis match, try going and supporting a Polish or Italian side and see what hostile is.

Well here's a very simple answer money. Both Shamrock Rovers (Irelands' most successful club) and Shelbourne (Irelands' third most successful club) were on the brink of dieing in the last 5 years, not to mention 3 clubs not being so fortunate (Dublin City, Limerick FC and Kilkenny City).

Shelbourne and Ollie Byrne tried to work miracles and get Ireland to a decent standard of football, he took a chance and look were we are now, because the thousands who turned up for a Champions League games never returned.

Dublin City, from what I could tell, failed for two reasons. Firstly that nobody went to watch them because they were a blow in club with no history and secondly, existing eL fans derided them for being a blow in club with no history.

Limerick should be able to sustain a major professional club but Kilkenny is too small in my opinion.

The other thing that is destroying the eL is themselves. Think about the size of the catchment area's involved. It's no surprise that Cork do so well. Imagine if there was only 1 or 2 Dublin clubs.

Then think about England, a top level team in Kilkenny is like a top level team from Warrington.

It's a football stadium not a tennis match, try going and supporting a Polish or Italian side and see what hostile is.

Fair point, I probably wouldn't enjoy those either if they are worse. I generally don't go to places where I get the feeling I might get caught up in a huge row.

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen in England by the way, I am quite sure it probably is the case, but that hasn't been my experience. I am just pointing out why I don't go to Dalymount and I won't try a different club because I wouldn't be able to attach myself to another club having grown up with Bohs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Fair point, I probably wouldn't enjoy those either if they are worse. I generally don't go to places where I get the feeling I might get caught up in a huge row.

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen in England by the way, I am quite sure it probably is the case, but that hasn't been my experience. I am just pointing out why I don't go to Dalymount and I won't try a different club because I wouldn't be able to attach myself to another club having grown up with Bohs.

Ironically enough, you were exactly the fan that Rocky Seery was targetting for Home Farm/Dublin City. :D

Dublin City, from what I could tell, failed for two reasons. Firstly that nobody went to watch them because they were a blow in club with no history and secondly, existing eL fans derided them for being a blow in club with no history.

Limerick should be able to sustain a major professional club but Kilkenny is too small in my opinion.

The other thing that is destroying the eL is themselves. Think about the size of the catchment area's involved. It's no surprise that Cork do so well. Imagine if there was only 1 or 2 Dublin clubs.

Then think about England, a top level team in Kilkenny is like a top level team from Warrington.

Dublin City ye you're right. But Limerick and Kilkenny should've been able to.

It's the FAI actually destroying the league, after the Genesis report was published on the league, the FAI said they would produce more culchie teams, yet they introduce Sporting Fingal into the league (because of points) when a reality check would have told them to introduce Mullingar Town FC into the league (most likely they'll be in the First Divison next season).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I would monitor the chocolate bar's stock value if I invested in the company though and I would certainly be interested in their performance or success over their rivals if I visited their factory a bit and kept up to date on how their staff were performing as a result of my investment. Would you agree?

I think you can see what I am getting at here?

Not really. Making a business investment for profit is fundamentally different to supporting a football club.

Dublin City ye you're right. But Limerick and Kilkenny should've been able to.

It's the FAI actually destroying the league, after the Genesis report was published on the league, the FAI said they would produce more culchie teams, yet they introduce Sporting Fingal into the league (because of points) when a reality check would have told them to introduce Mullingar Town FC into the league (most likely they'll be in the First Divison next season).

To be fair, there is not much they can do if rural teams don't apply.

What needs to be done is insist that promotion and relegation from the LoI and provencial senior leagues happen. Kilkenny shouldnt have to go through all that and drop 5 divisions, they should have been relegated. Junior football needs to cop on and step up.

To be fair, there is not much they can do if rural teams don't apply.

What needs to be done is insist that promotion and relegation from the LoI and provencial senior leagues happen. Kilkenny shouldnt have to go through all that and drop 5 divisions, they should have been relegated. Junior football needs to cop on and step up.

Rural teams did apply, the likes of Mullingar Town FC, Kerry League, etc...

I have to disagree with the 1st Divison promotion and relagation, I feel it makes it more competitive that the SL and the LOI.

Yup as far as I know Waterford is the only team with full links to a good load of junior football clubs.

Rural teams did apply, the likes of Mullingar Town FC, Kerry League, etc...

I have to disagree with the 1st Divison promotion and relagation, I feel it makes it more competitive that the SL and the LOI.

Yup as far as I know Waterford is the only team with full links to a good load of junior football clubs.

Mullingar said they would in the late 90's, but never actually formally applied when the time came. Kerry have never applied either.

I would much rather them in there, but the simple reality is Fingal were the only viable team to ask to be considered.

Why would you not like a proper pyramid system?

Mullingar said they would in the late 90's, but never actually formally applied when the time came. Kerry have never applied either.

I would much rather them in there, but the simple reality is Fingal were the only viable team to ask to be considered.

Why would you not like a proper pyramid system?

Mullingar did apply, my Dad used to play for them and knows committee members and they said they did.

What do you mean by a pyramid system?

The Senior Leagues should feed directly into the Eircom League system.

Premier
    1st
    A
    then the regional senior leagues

with promotion and relegation on all levels.

Like in England with the conference north and south feeding into the conference, feeding into the fourth division and so on.

Aw right, ye it should be like that. But thinking about it no LSL or any other Senior League team have stadiums or facilities example I was in Letterkenny for our friendly with them pre-season and they play in the USL and they play in a Sports Centre with no facilities or anything, no room even to expand.

Mullingar did apply, my Dad used to play for them and knows committee members and they said they did.

When?

What Dessie says. Basically, teams in the Leinster and Munster Senior leagues in particular should be made step up and out of their comfort zones.

Either regionalise the first division or (ideally for me) have a third division with much relaxed criteria for stadia. The A league in theory should facilitate this. The Kildares, Monaghans and Kilkennys would yo-yo, but thats basically their level.

have a third division with much relaxed criteria for stadia. The Kildares, Monaghans and Kilkennys would yo-yo, but thats basically their level.

Is this not what the A-Division is going to be?

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Is this not what the A-Division is going to be?

you got me before the edit.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i've been living close to Tolka for a year now and i havnt seen much notice of any games, either as leaflets or billboards etc. I have been to a number of EL games as i really love the buzz of live football but my point is that they dont really entice people to come to these games.
    Surely in this country the way to get crowds is to market the games as a social outing, e.g the greyhounds.

i know its not the same but i have a point buried in there somewhere!

When?

Start off 2007.

prendy wrote: »
    i've been living close to Tolka for a year now and i havnt seen much notice of any games, either as leaflets or billboards etc. I have been to a number of EL games as i really love the buzz of live football but my point is that they dont really entice people to come to these games.
    Surely in this country the way to get crowds is to market the games as a social outing, e.g the greyhounds.

i know its not the same but i have a point buried in there somewhere!

Why if you havne't noticed there is 2 big signs on Richmond Rd, one facing Grace Park Rd and the other facing the houses opposite Tolka, both with the next game and time on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Shels are also trying to promote themselves a lot more lately in order to get more fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

First, if you had a choice of two shops in which to buy your banana's and one of those shops sold some of the best banana's available anywhere in the world whilst the second shop sold reasonably ok banana's, which shop would you go to? Would the fact that other people you know like the reasonably ok banana's make a difference?
    In this case, one of the shops is selling bananas, the other is selling (moving) pictures of bigger,fatter, yellower bananas.
    At the end of the day, I don't care what team you support, what cinema you go see movies at, what chipper you like, what chocolate bar you buy. I know what ones I like though and I enjoy them all.
    That's as close as it gets to explaining what is happening, because that is nothing more than consumerism. My sheckles, as seen earlier in this thread, my choice.
    Which is fine... it's a free country and all that... but how does it square with swearing undying allegiance to ManU or Celtic, dressing up as one of their players, and referring to them as 'we'?
    If we are talking on the same level as chocolate, chips, bananas and cinemas, then you should change teams every week according to who is providing best value for money. But you don't.

• Advertisement

hunter164 wrote: »
    Shels are also trying to promote themselves a lot more lately in order to get more fans.

Most clubs do promote themselves to get more fans, a footbal club is a business which needs promotes, usually more fans equal more money.

SectionF wrote: »
    In this case, one of the shops is selling bananas, the other is selling (moving) pictures of bigger,fatter, yellower bananas.

That's as close as it gets to explaining what is happening, because that is nothing more than consumerism. My sheckles, as seen earlier in this thread, my choice.
    Which is fine... it's a free country and all that... but how does it square with swearing undying allegiance to ManU or Celtic, dressing up as one of their players, and referring to them as 'we'?
    If we are talking on the same level as chocolate, chips, bananas and cinemas, then you should change teams every week according to who is providing best value for money. But you don't.

How are Bohs anymore 'we' to you than United would be 'we' to me? You don't play for the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

By paying a few quid a year to become a member and be part owner of the club?

So does that mean that Shelbourne fans cant call Shelbourne "we"? It's becoming even more difficult to be a supporter of anyone based on this logic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

tbh you're asking the wrong person, outside of the terraces Id rarely refer to Bohs as "we".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

How are Bohs anymore 'we' to you than United would be 'we' to me? You don't play for the first team.
    In addition to membership, Bohs are 'we' because we are from the same place and share a past and, in the case of some clubs, values. They, the players, walk like us, talk like us, and know the things we know. The only difference is that they play better football.

Advertisement