Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Tocco

Options
  • 28-05-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Kinda have me heart set on getting one of these Samsung Tocco phones,
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/Samsung/Tocco?lastPage=/mobile_phones/Pay_Monthly/Samsung
    Of course trying to get info out of O2.ie is like gettin blood from a stone, no help! Doesn't seem to be a release date for them in Ireland.
    Only other option at present seems to be a sim-free job
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=163659
    Not payin the guts of 500quid tho, don't want one that badly, I presume they spelt it wrong on expansys, they've called it a tocca instead of tocco, as far as I know it was a last minute name change by Samsung anyway so won't hold it against em.
    Can anyone out there offer me any alternatives? Another place to buy, that is although I'll even take suggestions for a similar phone (except iphone)

Cheers,

Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I recently bought a k850i off ebay & saved quite a bit over the price on expansys. Its an option to consider. Make sure you select the right seller though & read all the fineprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Yeh, should've mentioned I already tried ebay & amazon, Not a single one on there, its a new phone tho so mayb some will start to pop up on ebay as they become more available.

I tell a lie, I found one on amazon under samsung F480 (model no of samsung tocco) Only $650!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wheelp

apparently we're getting it 1 July, and it has gaeilge on it as a language
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single11131

Good man wheelp! Strange that O2 told me that they had no plans to release this phone in Ireland..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 John Reavey

Nearly there! Vodafone have it on their June '08 brouchure, but not on the web site!!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Its not a bad piece of kit. Since going home for the summer I've started working for o2 in northern ireland. We're doing the F-480 free on a £35 a month contract. God know what it will cost when O2 or Vodafone Ireland release it. I find it quite strange that vodafone are getting it - what with o2's history of stocking the Prada and Armani, one would have assumed that the f-480 was the next logial step!

I bought a Tocco sim free on ebay yesterday, will be gettin it soon.
    Samsung are now going to release a newer version of the Tocco already!
    Samsung Omnia
    http://www.t3.com/news/samsung-omnia---looks-just-like-the-tocco?=36018

It wil include wifi which the Tocco doesn't have

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I bought a Tocco sim free on ebay yesterday, will be gettin it soon.
    Samsung are now going to release a newer version of the Tocco already!
    Samsung Omnia
    http://www.t3.com/news/samsung-omnia---looks-just-like-the-tocco?=36018

It wil include wifi which the Tocco doesn't have

Includes GPS - It's the iphone 3G that I never wanted to get from O2.

Got my Samsung Tocco today off ebay and its locked to the Orange network despite it being advertised as unlocked, pain in d arse!
    This site claims to be able to crack unlock codes and email them for £4
    Is it worth a shot or should I just try and send it back for a refund?
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

neilled wrote: »
    Its not a bad piece of kit. Since going home for the summer I've started working for o2 in northern ireland. We're doing the F-480 free on a £35 a month contract. God know what it will cost when O2 or Vodafone Ireland release it. I find it quite strange that vodafone are getting it - what with o2's history of stocking the Prada and Armani, one would have assumed that the f-480 was the next logial step!

Sher the armani is available on vodafone ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Got my Samsung Tocco today off ebay and its locked to the Orange network despite it being advertised as unlocked, pain in d arse!
    This site claims to be able to crack unlock codes and email them for £4
    Is it worth a shot or should I just try and send it back for a refund?
    :(

happened me with a stupid e65 locked to 3 UK that was "unlocked". I'd chance entering a code from that website, or try **** **** is €25 vs the website you've listed but **** is good enough. Chance entering two codes/one from each-if not horse it back to the seller "unused" as they had an incorrect listing!(ebay listing error)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    happened me with a stupid e65 locked to 3 UK that was "unlocked". I'd chance entering a code from that website, or try **** **** is €25 vs the website you've listed but **** is good enough. Chance entering two codes/one from each-if not horse it back to the seller "unused" as they had an incorrect listing!(ebay listing error)

**** is another new cash grabbing website from ****.You don't want to risk your phone with this crowd.

Firstly contact the person on ebay and wait for a response.They don't want you to give them a negative feedback,so its in their best interest to help you out in this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I got a w880i off ebay which was advertised as unlocked but wasn't. Got onto the seller and they paid the €50 it cost to get it unlocked at the time.

I got £20 off the one I bought it off for unlocking it. Seemed like a genuine mistake, she said she had tried other sims in it and they worked.
    Tocco is a good phone,takes a while to get used to sending txts using a touch screen tho.
    Newer (and more expensive) version of the Tocco is out soon, the samsung Omnia

• Registered Users Posts: 24 irobmw

Try this to unlock it...

Put in a SIM from the network it's locked to

Power on and go to the dial screen

Enter #7465625*638*00000000#

Press 'Send' or 'Call'
    The display will state Network Lock deactivated.

Dont try it more than twice if it doesn't work --- or it'll lock the phone out from ever being unlocked!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Hi irobmw

There is a service on the vodafone website that allows to obtain an unlocking key if you are a vodafone customer logon and look for NACE you then enter the IMEI code and it gives you an unlock code.

I preume the other networks would have something similar.

hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

I fancy the Tocco myself and have been checking out eBay. There's a "reputable" seller who sells the Tocco unlocked.
    Does anybody know if it works with the 3 network here? And if so, will I be able to use Skype and MSN Messenger if I buy a phone that doesn't come with these pre-installed?
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lunabu wrote: »
    I fancy the Tocco myself and have been checking out eBay. There's a "reputable" seller who sells the Tocco unlocked.
    Does anybody know if it works with the 3 network here? And if so, will I be able to use Skype and MSN Messenger if I buy a phone that doesn't come with these pre-installed?
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You'd have some fun trying to get all the 3 apps running on it, I've the viewty on 3 and it's an great touch screen, works a treat on 3, there doing it now from free as an upgrade....might be worth a look.......don't see much difference between it and the tocco (except the inclusion of the Irish Language)

Thanks for your quick reply :)
    If I did decide to go for it, would you assist me with some advice on how to get the 3 applications onto the phone?
    I've had 1 1/2 years of "fun" with the 3 network with regard to their "broadband" modem and I'm trying to avoid their customer service as much as poss. :P I also reckon that they wouldn't have the answers to any software questions.
    There's no desperate urgency as I'm going on hols on Wednesday (yippee!!!), but I will be looking into this again towards the autumn. Thanks! :)

3 support won't give you any help with the Tocco, they will only support their own phones...

I don't believe you will be able to get all the 3 apps running on it, some of them seem specialy built for the Viewty....you'd save yourself a lot of messing by just going with the LG instead of the Samsung..

• Advertisement

Ah, that's a pity! I do like the Tocco though and was hoping it might be poss. to download the 3 applications to that phone. Maybe 3 themselves will have it in the future, but I don't feel like waiting for the off chance...
    It would work with 3 though, wouldn't it? Apart from the applications maybe? I do have another good phone on 3 (the Nokia E65), so Skype wouldn't be a problem.

yea it should work on 3 no problem.....but what's wrong with the Viewty, I can't see much of a difference between them....both 5mp and both touch screens, and the viewty has all the apps you want built in....

Well, I was taking your advice on board and had a look at the specs of both and the comparisons. To be honest though, the Tocco appeals more to me than the Viewty plus the technology is several months newer. Taking into consideration that every new device we buy here is already obsolete (in Japan they are, believe, 2 years ahead of us technology-wise), I prefer to buy a newer phone if I spend this kind of money.
    Will monitor the situation for a few weeks and then make a decision:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eposhea

Hi Guys,

i may be kinda off topic here, but this thread is being viewed and replied to more often than others on the Subject. this is first post to the site, so bear with me if i am posting to wrong thread. Regards the Samsung phones...does anyone know if the Samsung Omnia is coming out on Vodafone IRL? THe tocco has reduced in price dramatically (indicating they are trying to get ri of them before the Omnia comes out??!?) and Vodafone Uk have it in stock, just wondering if anyone knows if the Omnia is coming to ireland soon?

Cheers

I had a reply from the 3 Customer Service regarding my question:
    The Tocco will be coming out on the 3 network in Ireland this autumn (End Sept/Early Oct) and is in the testing stages at the moment.
    Reckon I'll wait till then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Hmm, gonna pick this or a N95 up today. Any thoughts from Tocco owners re: usability etc? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Hmm, gonna pick this or a N95 up today. Any thoughts from Tocco owners re: usability etc? Thanks.

Got one for the missus last week and i'm impressed with it. She loves it which surprised me. She's not a gadget fan. Touch screen works well and it's quick, battery life is good and camera is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

irobmw wrote: »
    Try this to unlock it...

Put in a SIM from the network it's locked to

Power on and go to the dial screen

Enter #7465625*638*00000000#

Press 'Send' or 'Call'
    The display will state Network Lock deactivated.

Dont try it more than twice if it doesn't work --- or it'll lock the phone out from ever being unlocked!!!

I got a Tocco from Vodafone the other day. I am very impressed with it. It's a nice phone and very gadgety

I tried the code supplied and it unlocked it no problem.

I've put my 3 sim into it and it is working perfectly.

As a side note, the Vodafone signal is far better and more reliable than 3, in the house I'm only getting one bar on 3, whereas I get 5 bars on Vodafone. The Vodafone signal is also far better around town, including the Jervis Centre which seems to be a 3 blackspot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Maybe 3 themselves will have it in the future,
    Tocco will be out on 3 in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I had a reply from the 3 Customer Service regarding my question:
    The Tocco will be coming out on the 3 network in Ireland this autumn (End Sept/Early Oct) and is in the testing stages at the moment.
    Reckon I'll wait till then :)

Hi Lunabu, I work for Carphone Wearhouse and I also have the Tocco (unlocked) When it comes to security the 3 network tops them all, 3 sim card will only work in a 3 phone, even if the phone you have is unlocked, itll reject the sim unless its a 3 phone... but some cases it does work although the signal would be pretty rubbish... Trial and error really!!

Advertisement