Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Tocco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hmm maybe I am reading this wrong, but did you say 3 sims only work in 3 phones?

Really?

So far all my phones (that were unlocked) worked no probs at all with three and with full signal. Even the phones I got on Ebay like the N95 and i900 work 100%

(yep you have to get MMS and WAP settings yourself but they did all work.

Not being smart ass here just kinda hope your wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

god's toy wrote: »
    Hmm maybe I am reading this wrong, but did you say 3 sims only work in 3 phones?

Really?

So far all my phones (that were unlocked) worked no probs at all with three and with full signal. Even the phones I got on Ebay like the N95 and i900 work 100%

(yep you have to get MMS and WAP settings yourself but they did all work.

Not being smart ass here just kinda hope your wrong.

How old is your 3 sim card?...

As far as i know the newer models we got in store dont... Thats why we cant sell 3 sim cards over the counter, only the 3 store can...

Not the biggest fan of 3 anyway... horrible customer service... Their head office is in india and they read from the script so its sometimes hard to explain a problem to them :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Hi Lunabu, I work for Carphone Wearhouse and I also have the Tocco (unlocked) When it comes to security the 3 network tops them all, 3 sim card will only work in a 3 phone, even if the phone you have is unlocked, itll reject the sim unless its a 3 phone... but some cases it does work although the signal would be pretty rubbish... Trial and error really!!

That's really funny. I bought a 3 phone from you guys and guess what - you are right - the sim doesn't work in a non-3 phone and I returned it. Then I was advised to get a phone form 3 themselves, and lo and behold, that sim works in my non-3 phone.

I guess 3 doesn't trust you with their sims...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Walkman wrote: »
    Tocco will be out on 3 in 2 weeks.

saw it on the list when I was putting through broadband but couldn find it on the website, any idea how much till be?

As far as i know the newer models we got in store dont... Thats why we cant sell 3 sim cards over the counter, only the 3 store can...

Not the biggest fan of 3 anyway... horrible customer service... Their head office is in india and they read from the script so its sometimes hard to explain a problem to them :/

I think what 'jimmycrackcorm' said is right, I also got my phone from three themselves (over the net). It was last year by the way. Could it be they use different sim security on shop sims?

Very happy I didn't buy it from a store now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Their head office is in india
    I think you will find their headoffice is in Dublin not India. The sim you get with a phone and a sim you buy from the store are the same only the barcode on the back is different. The signal with a unlocked n95 or 3 branded n95 will be the same but you are right it will be trial and error as to what handsets the sim will work in. As a rule if the handset is on 3 and you have an unlocked version you will be ok for talk and text although all planet 3 services will not work as you need the 3 software on the handset for all applications to work.

Planet three works fine, you just have to put the address in yourself and save as your homepage.

It's things like 3's Skype and MSN/windows messenger that sometimes dont work on non branded phones.

Even my web add on (1GB for €10) works super on my Samsung i900.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

Tocco is only 49 euro on O2 when you sign up to bill pay (which can be as little as 15 quid a month on some plans!)... actually I think it's free in September.

I just started working at O2 today, was shocked!

I'll be getting me one of those...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Tocco is only 49 euro on O2 when you sign up to bill pay (which can be as little as 15 quid a month on some plans!)... actually I think it's free in September.

I just started working at O2 today, was shocked!

I'll be getting me one of those...

I hope you enjoy the free Tocco on your €15 plan, it'll be a long long time before you get another phone out of 02.......i'll probably have 3 upgrades before you even get one.....;)

Just for the record, 02 are a rip and there ****e for data plans, welcome to the Jungle Kid:D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Is there a firmware update for the Tocco on the way or already out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I got a Tocco for €49 the other by switching to Vodafone from O2, it's only a 12 month contract too which ain't bad.

Does anybody know how I set up the internet on the phone? I got a data bundle with my package but when I try to connect to the internet it just says "Service Unavailable"

Hi Lunabu, I work for Carphone Wearhouse and I also have the Tocco (unlocked) When it comes to security the 3 network tops them all, 3 sim card will only work in a 3 phone, even if the phone you have is unlocked, itll reject the sim unless its a 3 phone

I don't know who told you that but it's complete Rubbish....

A sim is a sim, there are no magic sims out there that know if your using a 3 phone or not, If a 3G phone is unlocked, chances are a 3 sim will work in it. If it's a 2G phone the sim is unlikely to work but still can the odd time.....

I don't know who told you that but it's complete Rubbish....

A sim is a sim, there are no magic sims out there that know if your using a 3 phone or not, If a 3G phone is unlocked, chances are a 3 sim will work in it. If it's a 2G phone the sim is unlikely to work but still can the odd time.....

+1
    3 use certain sims (USIM) that normally only work in a 3G phone- but this should work in an unlocked 3G phone and the odd 2G as Drunkmonkey has stated already

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    +1
    3 use certain sims (USIM) that normally only work in a 3G phone- but this should work in an unlocked 3G phone and the odd 2G as Drunkmonkey has stated already

Carphone employees, don't you just love 'em:D

Carphone employees, don't you just love 'em:D
    Ah bless they try though:P!

Just to let you fellow Tocco owners know, you can upgrade your firmware yourselves, I've done so following the instructions on this excellent thread;

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=573699

I'm now using F480XEHJ1
    If you want to check your current version, type *#1234#
    My new version has more wigets and less dropped calls. :)
    It also supposedly has better picture quality and faster menus but I have noticed no change in these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Just to let you fellow Tocco owners know, you can upgrade your firmware yourselves, I've done so following the instructions on this excellent thread;

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=573699

I'm now using F480XEHJ1
    If you want to check your current version, type *#1234#
    My new version has more wigets and less dropped calls. :)
    It also supposedly has better picture quality and faster menus but I have noticed no change in these.

If you do your own firmware upgrade on an imported tocco, watch out; if it was unlocked and then sold to you, then flashing a new firmware can potentially relock the phone to the original sim card. I'm holding off on flashing my wife's tocco until I know more (it was unlocked in Singapore then sold on to me).

Hi Beaver, never heard that before. When you flash your phone you must remove the sim, its all explained in the GSM forums. My phone was bought on ebay from the UK, it was locked to the orange network. I got it unlocked in Dublin city.
    I forgot to mention as well that by flashing new firmware, you 'debrand' your phone which gets rid of all those annoying mobile phone providers (in my case orange) graphics/logos popping up when you turn on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I forgot to mention as well that by flashing new firmware, you 'debrand' your phone which gets rid of all those annoying mobile phone providers (in my case orange) graphics/logos popping up when you turn on your phone.

I've never done this before so just want to check is it just the branding that goes? Do i need to get vodafone live settings etc again?

My MMS and sms and internet settings were all fine after the the flash. I'm on O2.
    Instead of the vodafone branding, it will just say samsung after turning on the phone after the flash, thats the only thing that should change.

• Advertisement

Hi Beaver, never heard that before. When you flash your phone you must remove the sim, its all explained in the GSM forums. My phone was bought on ebay from the UK, it was locked to the orange network. I got it unlocked in Dublin city.

Its mentioned by a few people on a few different posts on that thread. It seems that if your phone was not correctly unlocked in the original country, then reflashing a firmware can actually bring back the original phone lock.

Incidentally, if I was to flash the phone and it got locked again, can anybody recommend some place in Cork to get it unlocked? Googling hasn't provided satisfactory results.

Cheers

Hi Beaver, I used these guys to unlock my phone.

http://www.gsmsolutionsltd.com/services/unlocking.html

I went to their premises in Dublin and got them to do it, but they offer an online service where you can do it yourself, alternativly you can post them your phone and they will do it for you.

I went to their premises in Dublin and got them to do it, but they offer an online service where you can do it yourself, alternativly you can post them your phone and they will do it for you.

Thanks for that! Hopefuly won't have to get it unlocked again, but good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Thanks for that! Hopefuly won't have to get it unlocked again, but good to know.

Gsmsolutionsltd.com are well dodgy SUNDAY MIRROR: INVESTIGATES Stolen phone? Give me a call

plus you might want to google their site **** before handing over your mula ,they seem to like taking peoples money and not giving out unlocking codes in return:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

when will the hugo boss version of this phone be out in ireland ?

i already have this phone would it be possible to send it away abd have the cover changed to the hugh boss cover , and firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

CRAIG07 wrote: »
    when will the hugo boss version of this phone be out in ireland ?

i already have this phone would it be possible to send it away abd have the cover changed to the hugh boss cover , and firmware?

From http://www.zimbio.com/New+Mobile+Phones/articles/3155/Samsung+F480+Tocco+Hugo+Boss+Edition+Review
    The Samsung F480 Tocco design remains untouched apart from the addition of the Hugo Boss logo on the front. However the user interface has received a make over of sorts featuring themes and wallpaper designs that have been heavily influenced by the famous fashion house company. In addition to this a limited edition Bluetooth headset has been specially designed to compliment the Samsung F480 Tocco Hugo Boss.
    So the only thing different with the HB version is a logo and some different themes?

Why would you bother?

sxt wrote: »
    Gsmsolutionsltd.com are well dodgy SUNDAY MIRROR: INVESTIGATES Stolen phone? Give me a call

plus you might want to google their site **** before handing over your mula ,they seem to like taking peoples money and not giving out unlocking codes in return:(

:eek: Wow can't believe I recommended them, I had no problems at all with em

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

when you are viewing the pictures, it is the fourth option on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 8r0

irobmw wrote: »
    Try this to unlock it...

Put in a SIM from the network it's locked to

Power on and go to the dial screen

Enter #7465625*638*00000000#

Press 'Send' or 'Call'
    The display will state Network Lock deactivated.

Dont try it more than twice if it doesn't work --- or it'll lock the phone out from ever being unlocked!!!
    Perfect - thanks! Worked first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Hi I tried that unblocking code on my Tocco but it didnt work. After I put in the * it changed the numbers to --- and then said that it was incorrect network code.

I am trying to unlock a 3 Tocco to use with my meteor sim. I won it and got it today but dont want to move networks as have free texts for life with Meteor and the coverage for them is better where I live than with 3.

any help or suggestions would be welcome. 3 customer care told me I need to buy €30 credit before they can unlock my phone and I thought that was a bit much since it wont work when I do put in the credit as the coverage is bad. Grrrr.

Advertisement