Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute or Rent?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Heading in to my second year of college and having lived at home and commuted to and from Dublin everyday I have to decide whether it's more practical (and cheaper) to just bite the bullet and rent in Dublin or get my own transport.

Couldn't really afford to do both so which would you do if you where me and if you've had to make the decision which did you go for?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You need to get the pen and paper out, list all the costs associated with renting in Dublin, include your rent, domestic bills, food & sundries etc.. and put them against your traveling costs. Have a look at the margin and decide whether it's still feasible.

If it is still on the cards after the above list out the advantages and disadvantages to both options. You'll need to spend a couple of days thinking about it, don't do anything rash, it's a big decision.

The thought of living in Dublin may be very appealing, the reality of it is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

You need to get the pen and paper out, list all the costs associated with renting in Dublin, include your rent, domestic bills, food & sundries etc.. and put them against your traveling costs. Have a look at the margin and decide whether it's still feasible.

If it is still on the cards after the above list out the advantages and disadvantages to both options. You'll need to spend a couple of days thinking about it, don't do anything rash, it's a big decision.

The thought of living in Dublin may be very appealing, the reality of it is very expensive.

Couldn't have said it better... get out your paper and pen out and list all known costs of renting/buying car (ins. tax and petrol etc.)/and staying at home.

Advertisement