Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Non-VRT'd cars seizure N11

Options
  • 28-05-2008 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

apparently major Gardai/Customs operation on N11 ourside Jack Whites today. seizing cars which haven't their VRT paid. No excuses - cars being taken there and then,onto truck and impounded..:eek: be warned!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

somone should report the revenue to the gardai...nothing short of theft, the VRT has already been paid in the country of origin....Theft, theft, theft!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Following on my thread on similar seizures at Ballymun this now seems to be part of a major initiative........about time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm THRILLED their taking them of the road, I'm bored looking at southern ireland drivers driving northern reg's here as their everyday car.
    Too many their everywhere, somthing had to be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Neighbour of mine had her car taken from the car park this week. She's driving around in it close to a year now. If you can't afford the vrt, then spend a couple of k less when importing a car

furtzy wrote: »
    about time

Are you for real, do you support this double taxation?

You obviously have an ulterior motive as no consumer in there right mind would think it's a fair and just tax...The EU certainly dosen't......:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You obviously have an ulterior motive as no consumer in there right mind would think it's a fair and just tax...The EU certainly dosen't......:mad:

He didn't say it was 'fair'. what makes you think you can have one law for yourself and a different law for the rest of us? Until the law is changed I expect people to abide by it.

About time is right.

mondeo wrote: »
    I'm THRILLED their taking them of the road, I'm bored looking at southern ireland drivers driving northern reg's here as their everyday car.
    Too many their everywhere, somthing had to be done about it.

cough, cough, good to see the old irish disease is still alive and well.....cough, cough, Begrudgery :p

copacetic wrote: »
    Until the law is changed I expect people to abide by it.

Fachtna, will you ever stop smoking those Jamaican Woodbines.........this power trip is getting a little out of hand:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

drunkmonkey you are paining my brain.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

cough, cough, good to see the old irish disease is still alive and well.....cough, cough, Begrudgery :p

.......cough, cough... shame to see civilisation hasn't fully taken hold in Ireland yet......cough...."if you get away with breaking the law, then fair play to you" attitude still to be found in some parts...cough...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mike65 wrote: »
    drunkmonkey you are paining my brain.

Mike.

mine too ...tone it down and stop flogging a dead horse. (law = law)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

its simple if you cant pay the vrt dont buy the car!!!!

i myself brought a car into ireland from england and paid the vrt the next day,why should these people get away with not paying? its not fair on the rest of us that actually pay vrt.

these people should be buying cars of less value so that they can afford to pay the vrt,instead they are driving the cars around for a while and then they sell the car to some poor f**ker that then has to cough up the vrt!!

im delighted they are impounding these cars,they should of been doing it from day 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I presume the non UK reg cars owned by fellow European workers in this country which display neither tax nor insurance disc from their country of origin were all waved on by our revenue lads :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Are the cops just targeting UK & North cars does anyone know?

There seems to be a increase in Polish/Latvian/Lithuanin etc cars driving around.....are these guys not also liable for VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I presume the non UK reg cars owned by fellow European workers in this country which display neither tax nor insurance disc from their country of origin were all waved on by our revenue lads :mad:

just for your info:

The system of tax and insurance "disks" does not exist in those countries ...so there is nothing to display.

keefg wrote: »
    Are the cops just targeting UK & North cars does anyone know?

There seems to be a increase in Polish/Latvian/Lithuanin etc cars driving around.....are these guys not also liable for VRT?

No foreign drivers importing there personal car to Ireland are VRT exempt if they can prove the've being using the car for 6mts or more in there home country....

On a side note.....this post was back in 2002, pity the motorists lobby wouldn't gather together and finally push the government into scrapping the tax.....instead the price of vrt goes up if you want to import a nice car after the 1st of July....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64549

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

No foreign drivers importing there personal car to Ireland are VRT exempt if they can prove the've being using the car for 6mts or more in there home country....

Ahh yes, I forgot about that exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Well I f**kin wish they would come to Sligo where Kian Egan (him of westlife) is still driving his porsche cayenne *puke* on british plates, he has been for years now and that he has not paid for vrt is outrageous, considering his income! Not sure if he has yet taxed or bothered to display insurance on his Mini convertible yet either. Seriously this guy has had this porsche here on UK plates for at least 2.5 years.

cough, cough, i won't say it.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

FFS, it's a ridiculous law. Why should we be banned from driving foreign reg cars when other EU countries don't have a problem with it? What makes Ireland so special that we have to pay 20-40% extra for a car to get the irish plates otherwise it get's taken off us?

Greed at the end of the day and nothing but typical Irish begrudgery to those that think "about time".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well I f**kin wish they would come to Sligo where Kian Egan (him of westlife) is still driving his porsche cayenne *puke* on british plates, he has been for years now and that he has not paid for vrt is outrageous, considering his income! Not sure if he has yet taxed or bothered to display insurance on his Mini convertible yet either. Seriously this guy has had this porsche here on UK plates for at least 2.5 years.

Call up the "Irish" Daily Mail. They love stories that outrage people.
    Hey, maybe they'll pay you for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

But they're not exempt from having to put their car on IE plates, NCT & tax it, if they're over more than 6 months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

tdc wrote: »
    FFS, it's a ridiculous law. Why should we be banned from driving foreign reg cars when other EU countries don't have a problem with it? What makes Ireland so special that we have to pay 20-40% extra for a car to get the irish plates otherwise it get's taken off us?

Greed at the end of the day and nothing but typical Irish begrudgery to those that think "about time".
    Other countries do "have a problem with it". Germany rigorously enforces registration of foreign vehicles and it's a much more stringent process....vehicle must pass their equivalent of the NCT before anything else. It is right and proper that people living here have their vehicles registered here. The fact the VRT itself is imposed is another matter. By the way, VRT is a tax on a luxury item (a car is luxury guys) and I prefer VRT on cars to VAT on life's daily essentials. The tax shortfall would have to be made up elsewhere if VRT was scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 daisychain

Just supposing a motorist driving a car with an English reg was stopped on their way to the VRO to pay the VRT (honestly!) - would "they" buy the story or still confiscate the car?

I have an English reg car that I'm not driving so it won't be on the road til July 1st but if I'm driving to the VRO on that day, the insurance disc will state that it's been insured on an Irish policy since May 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

i suppose if you had all the paperwork with you and the cheque there wouldnt be a problem.

Just wait until it's raining to drive to the Vro...

you'll never meet a garda in the rain and the tax man would probably turn into a pile of salt:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Maybe the clampdowns are because of the lads who have imported diesels recently and are waiting until after July 1st to pay the VRT when it will be almost 50% less on some cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Wether anybody supports it or not isn't the point. Point is I've paid my VRT and these people haven't. Comments like yours make you [EDIT]...[/EDIT]

Edit: Comments like yours will result in a ban next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

daisychain wrote: »
    Just supposing a motorist driving a car with an English reg was stopped on their way to the VRO to pay the VRT (honestly!) - would "they" buy the story or still confiscate the car?

I have an English reg car that I'm not driving so it won't be on the road til July 1st but if I'm driving to the VRO on that day, the insurance disc will state that it's been insured on an Irish policy since May 2008

From what I heard this was a zero tolerance checkpoint, no excuses were taken and they seized quite a number of vehicles. I'd say unless you had a ferry ticket from within the last 24hrs at this checkpoint you'd not have had much luck, moral of story good times are over for those on UK plates, serious risk of fines and seizure if you don't pay up now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This has been discussed over and over and over and over - it always decends into chaos and has to be locked.
    The outcome always is:

Faction A:"I won't pay VRT because its unfair and I'm a rebel"
    Faction B:"That's illegal and it just pushes up the tax for everyone else and I'm a sheep cos I abide by the law"

And never the twain shall meet

The FACTS are:

1. You have to pay VRT when you import a car whether you drive it or not.

2. Even if you bring the car in on a trailer and bury it in a hole, you still have to pay VRT.

3. You can take a chance and drive it for a few months or a year but don't come whinging if they take it off you and hit you with a 20% penalty (or whatever it is).

4. Historically, this was easy to get away with but recent reports are that the Guards and Customs are actually enforcing it and confiscating cars.

5. Before anyone asks again, yes they are legally entitled to do it - look up the finance act 19** (www.irishstatutebook.ie), I really couldn't be arsed looking it up yet again. (tonight anyway)

6. Sorry for ranting.

Advertisement