Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Non-VRT'd cars seizure N11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

esel wrote: »
    30 years. Rumour is that this is going to be frozen soon - something like "any car first registered before 01 January 1979". Hate people calling a car 'she' btw! :pac:

I've called my car a lot worse, she's its definitely female.:D (11 YO this year)

Bad news for all if what you say comes true though.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It's lucky you got to him before i did, it wasn't going to be pretty!!:D

Your card is marked Onkel, i'll kick your ass the next time:p

Well there you go, first time I've ever had a warning on boards.ie, just goes to show how much your initial statements annoyed me.
    And it's Onkle so get it right or you'll find it's your ass that will be kicked:p

At the end of the day it's currently the law to pay vrt here in Ireland so that bitch if the customs/guards take your car away from you.
    As for the foreign plated cars being driven by foreigners who have brought their cars with them, I'm sure 99% of them would be exempt from VRT but usually are waiting for Insurance policies to lapse or don't plan on being here all that long and plan to return with the car.
    Or it could even be ignorance, in the likes of Latvia it's common to see Estonian, Lithuanian, Ukrainian cars etc on the roads and nobody bats an eyelid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

unkel wrote: »
    Not quite. Berties cunning conversion of (soon to be illegal) import tax into VRT at the very last moment way back when is pretty amazing. Do a search for it!
    Thats what I think I meant to say - I think - what do you think? - it's getting late - I think. Sorry, I think that I think to much about thinking about things...:confused:

Sorry I think I'll go now.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I stumbled across this on the Irish Drivers Association webiste....

http://www.irishdrivers.org/21043.html

It's heavy reading but it's important to know it's a about your rights ....don't hand over your keys is the most important bit, once you do, your guilty;)

here's a taster.....

"Your EC law rights , are now a higher source of law than our own Constitution in terms of Community matters. The four fundamental freedoms under EU law are Free Movement of Persons (Article 39), Free Movement of Goods (Articles 23-31), Freedom of Establishment (Articles 43-48) and to provide services (Articles 49-55) and Freedom of Capital (Articles 56-60)."

It's interesting reading, but it doesn't seem to be backed up by any instances of someone actually refusing to hand over their keys.

I mean, surely the gardai will just call a recovery vehicle to tow your car.

What happens then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

MSporty wrote: »
    They should be going harder after all those Eastern European skangermobiles, these guys are working over here and driving their own cars from home. Its a f**king joke

Course they can, they still have ties and an address in poland ... its perfectly legal.

Its the same if you bring your Irish car to another EU country AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE CAR REGISTERED TO AN ADDRESS IN IRELAND.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Gardai can not leagally take your car off you unless you agree to hand over the Keys....

Keep your keys in your pocket and take it all the way to Brussels......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

The Gardai can not leagally take your car off you unless you agree to hand over the Keys....

Keep your keys in your pocket and take it all the way to Brussels......:D

I'd love if this was true but can you actually see that happening? Just being let go because you refused to hand over your keys?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

esel wrote: »
    30 years. Rumour is that this is going to be frozen soon - something like "any car first registered before 01 January 1979"....

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd love if this was true but can you actually see that happening? Just being let go because you refused to hand over your keys?

It's in our Constitution & EU Treaty, if you have the balls to challenge them all the way on it you will win!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

cbyrne wrote: »
    Not sure, but I imagine like most check points they will first ask for your licence and if thats an Irish one and your in a Uk reg plate then you have some explaining to do, if its a UK one they'd prob just let you on your way..

So what if I am living say in Newry and drving a northern reg car. I would probably still have an Irish driving licence so how can they say based on my licence alone that I am not a UK resident???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

It's in our Constitution & EU Treaty, if you have the balls to challenge them all the way on it you will win!!!

I have heard of this before: Apparently a Garda cannot take your car away unless you give them permission to do so....dunno how true it is although I have a mate who claimed he done it once for not having tax on the car and the Garda had to let him....probably bullshít

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Look, it's simple enough: if you have legitimate reasons to be driving a UK-reg'd car in IE, just carry a little folder with copies of relevant correspondence/communications in the glove box.

Be smiling, courteous and cooperative with the Gards, and that should be that.

The only difficulty I see with that, is that tourists should know about this first before they come over (especially as we're now edging ever closer to holiday period: given the new VRT regime in July, the ongoing 'crackdown' likely to climax about that time and the likely increased presence of legitimate foreign cars of tourists all at the same time, I can predict a growing number of very funny/sad stories reported by visiting UK/Continental tourists about the issue ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Would love to know what split was on European reg'd cars versus the NI & GB plated cars.

The 6 month rule for the continental cars is pure bollix imho. Its all grand till one of them is involved in a crash.

A friend of mine had his car written off by a lad in a PL reg'd vento, took an illegal right turn in the city centre and broke a red light at speed. Cops called round to his gaff the next day to speak to him about the accident and guess what? He was on his toes :rolleyes: Cue a lengthy claims process with the MIF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'll be brief

I agree with peoples car being taken off them if the VRT is not paid

but only if they currently reside in the south. if they live in the north then they should be allowed to drive on the roads in the south.

As much as I hate VRT, its difficult to get rid of. Alot of people will stand to lose a lot of money if they just decided to abolish tomorrow. (myself included - €2,400)

I HATE VRT

and the new system means I will NEVER be able to afford to own an Evo X in Ireland EVER. which really makes me want to move up north or to the UK.

It should have been abloished about 8-10 year ago when the economy was at the start of the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm driving a uk reg'd car at the moment as the V5c was lost. I have all the documentation in the car to show that I've already pre booked a reg plate and that I've been in touch with the DVLA and I'm awaiting an export certificate. If someone from customs tried to take it from me I'd sue them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

grahambo wrote: »
    I agree with peoples car being taken off them if the VRT is not paid

but only if they currently reside in the south. if they live in the north then they should be allowed to drive on the roads in the south.

That's just the normal legal situation, tbh - nothing special or groundbreaking about it.

At any rate,
    _ which is the only country bordering IE without crossing water? NI
    _ which is the closest country with crossing water? UK
    _ which is the first commercial and tourist partner country, sending the most commercial and tourist vehicles over to IE at any one time? NI/UK
    _ which is the only market in Europe wherein IE residents liable for VRT can source RHD vehicles on which VRT must be paid? NI/UK

Of course the yellow plates are going to attract all the attention: there's probably 10 or more of them in the South for every other 1 "more exotic" PL, LV, DE, etc. at any one time... and, to boot, with a 99.9% certainty of no language barrier when they be stopped either.

Simple maths/statistics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ambro25 wrote: »
    with a 99.9% certainty of no language barrier when they be stopped either.

I'd have to disagree with you on that point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

esel wrote:
    30 years. Rumour is that this is going to be frozen soon - something like "any car first registered before 01 January 1979"....
    Source?
    A thread on Classic Cars in the last couple of months. The poster seemed to have a good source.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's about time this started happening! Why should the majority of use pay more for the same car's to drive it on the same roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

kmart6 wrote: »
    It's about time this started happening! Why should the majority of use pay more for the same car's to drive it on the same roads!

Because ye are right wing, self righteous, PD loving, goodie 2 shoes, nanny state lovers....

Sorry you walked right into that one sunshine :p

• Advertisement

Don't talk about me as if you know me....and a smiley face doesn't excuse that!

As already stated here the law is the law,why should there be one rule for some and not for others!? And the end of the day if you are an Irish resident and driving a non Irish registered car around you deserve to have it taken off you!

Look mate all I'm saying is that if a tax is dodgeable which VRT is then people will try to get away with it. Avoiding VRT just like avoiding any tax is against the law but ain't criminal. If everyone on this little island was like your goodself, there would be no requirment for customs, no need for Revenue and no need for Gardai, so please get a little grip on reality.

Stringent application of the law will not discourage the average Irishman with liathrodi from chancing his arm...
    Vive la Difference

Where are you getting off telling me to get a grip on reality?! Did I say anywhere that people don't avoid it?!

Did I say anywhere that I'm a model citizen who abides by every law that this country has?! So quit tour sh1te about people being like my 'goodself' and no need for the Gardai...and come back with a valid response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Don't talk about me as if you know me....

Everyone knows you Killian...

Lol,checking my Bebo page...nice stalker work;)

Where are you getting off telling me to get a grip on reality?! Did I say anywhere that people don't avoid it?!

Did I say anywhere that I'm a model citizen who abides by every law that this country has?! So quit tour sh1te about people being like my 'goodself' and no need for the Gardai...and come back with a valid response!

I ain't going to argue with you, I'll keep on not paying VRT, you pay yours which should go some way to subsidising and I quote '*ucking CIE Trains!!!!
    '. I refuse to pay any inherently illegal tax that goes anyway to subsidising/funding a substandard 2 tier Health or Transport system.

seamy_orr wrote: »
    inherently illegal tax

It's not illegal,and if you don't know that you shouldn't be even talking about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head there...

Why should we pay a huge tax on a car and people from NI don't...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

It's not illegal,and if you don't know that you shouldn't be even talking about it!
    chill winston!
    Ah sure as long as we are getting away with it it hardly kills anyone now does it.
    Took my little baba off the road yday and took the gti to work, customs had a checkpoint set up at... boy did i get a chuckle out of that!:pac::pac::pac:
    Talk about jammie, guess that old wan i stopped and changed her wheel for her really did say a prayer for me!

• Advertisement

As I've said I ain't going to argue with you...

Advertisement