Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Non-VRT'd cars seizure N11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

slideways wrote: »
    chill winston!
    Ah sure as long as we are getting away with it it hardly kills anyone now does it.
    Took my little baba off the road yday and took the gti to work, customs had a checkpoint set up at... boy did i get a chuckle out of that!:pac::pac::pac:
    Talk about jammie, guess that old wan i stopped and changed her wheel for her really did say a prayer for me!

Alas someone has a set of b@lls...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Winston? Your point to that please!?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

May I point out that the more some internet revolutionaries boast about getting away with "avoiding" VRT, the more reason customs have to set up road blocks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

peasant wrote: »
    May I point out that the more some internet revolutionaries boast about getting away with "avoiding" VRT, the more reason customs have to set up road blocks :D

i really would love it if they did set them up on every road,but it would be a pity not to see all these mouthpieces get their cars drove on to a transporter truck.

ah well we can only hope!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

kmart6 wrote: »
    Winston? Your point to that please!?
    Bit of a lock stock quote there horse..
    and my point was to do a cadburys caramel and take it easy there, tis only the net after all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I heard a rumor (albeit from a guy who has a rep for bullpoo) that the new NPR systems being brought in for tolls are going to track and flag if foriegn plates are being used for extended periods here.

Any truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

markos79 wrote: »
    i really would love it if they did set them up on every road,but it would be a pity not to see all these mouthpieces get their cars drove on to a transporter truck.

ah well we can only hope!!

Oh we have an angry little man here, what seems to be your issue? Has your car depreciated a little more than you had hoped or maybe you have a car loan to pay off, share your problems with us boarders

seamy_orr ..stop stirring it for stirring sake

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

peasant that guys just trolling now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

seamy_orr wrote: »
    Oh we have an angry little man here, what seems to be your issue? Has your car depreciated a little more than you had hoped or maybe you have a car loan to pay off, share your problems with us boarders

for starters im not little im 6"4 so dont go on like you know it all.and no i dont have a car loan i actually own my car outright,but i do have a problem with vrt dodgers like you.

but i suppose your day with customs will come.

soon i hope!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

markos79 wrote: »
    for starters im not littlle im 6"4
    You're only 6 inches tall?
    getting a car where you can reach the pedals must be a chore...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

stevec wrote: »
    I heard a rumor (albeit from a guy who has a rep for bullpoo) that the new NPR systems being brought in for tolls are going to track and flag if foriegn plates are being used for extended periods here.

Any truth?

Well, I'd have expected them to try that with the airport CP NPR already... But maybe not, since as there may a difference between one Co. being private and the other public :confused: Admittedly, it would be easy enough, as the airport CP NPR reads non-Irish plates just fine. But what good would it do, anyhow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

I heard a rumor the new NPR systems being brought in for tolls are going to track and flag if foriegn plates are being used for extended periods here.

this makes a lot of sense. Its just an additional benefit of the NPR.

as it records every NP, then for example an English reg car found one day is fine; but if its logged every 2nd week for 18 months? Then you know they're not here on hol's.

re: impounding cars, I'm all for it.

aside: there is a lady who I pass every morning just outside work for the past 2 years. Some mornings she's loading the kids into the XC90, some mornings she's further down the road at the school, some mornings she's walking back into the hse (you get the picture). But its a UK reg, and according to vrt.ie, her D5 auto owes the beloved Finance Minister a cheque for over €18,500. Whatever your opinions, thats a lot more than a speeding fine for any Garda that wants to knock on her door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

sk8board wrote: »
    But its a UK reg, and according to vrt.ie, her D5 auto owes the beloved Finance Minister a cheque for over €18,500.

And the amount due is dropping as time goes by. I can understand why people avoid paying VRT, especially with all the talk of its potential illegality. However while it's in place we should all play by the same rules.

Then again the Irish way is to bend the rules, brown envelopes, driving in bus lanes, dodging VRT & road tax, off-shore accounts, poitin stills, house extensions without planning permission, (even full houses with out plannig for a few politicians!) all common place in Irish history.

this makes a lot of sense. Its just an additional benefit of the NPR.

as it records every NP, then for example an English reg car found one day is fine; but if its logged every 2nd week for 18 months? Then you know they're not here on hol's.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have no time for VRT dodgers ...but !

The number plate recognition system at the toll bridge is supposed to be used for collecting tolls only.

Any creation of a database for any other purpose has serious data protection implications and needs to be nipped in the bud.

To exaggerate:

How would you like it if your boss / mother / girlfriend would be able to check up on a database to verify that you were indeed stuck in traffic on the M50 at a given time (as you claim) instead of dossing at the beach with some friends?

Our privacy needs to be protected ...even that of VRT dodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

her D5 auto owes the beloved Finance Minister a cheque for over €18,500. Whatever your opinions, thats a lot more than a speeding fine for any Garda that wants to knock on her door.

The problem here is that any garda knows that this person can well afford a solicitor to fight their case and get their vehicle back, so it becomes a legal night-mare for them.

Any truth?

I'd say it will be very good a picking up English registrations, as most of the time we take a system developed for England and adapt it for our own use. This was certainly the case with some of the NPR systems which the gardas tried using a year or two ago.

I wonder what the accuracy of the system has to be, as your going to be billing people for possibly large amounts of money. Also any vision system used outside is going to be adversely effected by weather conditions etc...

I'm not sure from a legal point of view could this type of evidence be used in court, as the basis for taking someone's car off them.

And the amount due is dropping as time goes by.
    exactly, the 18.5 is actually the current amount due, not the amount when it was new

The number plate recognition system at the toll bridge is supposed to be used for collecting tolls only.

Any creation of a database for any other purpose has serious data protection implications and needs to be nipped in the bud.

+1 , but anyhow...at the risk (nay, certainty) of repeating myself: to what end would the NPR do that?

I can understand the logic of 'how', what I can't understand is what good it would do, as looking up the reg ain't exactly going to output where the car is kept or whose it is? i.e. the info customs need to enquire/do something about it?

Moreover, my understanding is that this new 'auto NPR system' will only work for IE reg'd cars, whereby expectedly UK (and others)-plated cars will be routed/signed/instructed to go through a manned (or coin/cash) booth?

Now, don't get me wrong, I have no time for VRT dodgers ...but !

i agree, especially when they do the same barrier-free tolling elsewhere, and suddendy you can track a car on its journey. But it all comes back to the US/UK ideals of, if your doing nothing wrong, why should it bother you (I don't agree with this, but its very hard to influence it either way).

EDIT: Is there any legislation around the barrier-free tolling for retention of the data/registrations for periods of time? or who has access to them etc etc?

EDIT2: I would consider the ISP data retention act as being far more serious, as its a much more intimate record of peoples actions as opposed to what road they were on at what time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ambro25 wrote: »
    Moreover, my understanding is that this new 'auto NPR system' will only work for IE reg'd cars, whereby expectedly UK (and others)-plated cars will be routed/signed/instructed to go through a manned (or coin/cash) booth?

To be honest i can't see this working at all... you would still need a row of toll booths (in both directions)... can you imagine how many English reg trucks roll off the boat in the morning, the go through the port tunnel, then down the M50.

I'd say there might be a lane for "honest" people who want to pay, but the majority will just drive on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

We're paying enough road tax in this country tolls should be exempt
    Unless you're a foreign reg vehicle of course, VRT dodgers included.

Tax disk and registration recognition should be in play, any of them don't meet the grade you pay.
    Over €4k tax a year on 3 cars , I don't think I should pay tolls.

roadruner wrote: »
    We're paying enough road tax in this country tolls should be exempt
    Unless you're a foreign reg vehicle of course, VRT dodgers included.

And how, pray tell, do you suggest tolling only visiting motorists? Put a "special toll" at the ferry landing in Dublin Port and Dun Laoghaire?

That would constitute a discriminatory practice contravening some of the most fundamental EU principles :rolleyes:

To be honest, I'd be looking at an immediate knee-jerk copycat in Holyhead as well, whereby Irish drivers (having paid their VRT) are still worse off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

And how, pray tell, do you suggest tolling only visiting motorists? Put a "special toll" at the ferry landing in Dublin Port and Dun Laoghaire?

That would constitute a discriminatory practice contravening some of the most fundamental EU principles :rolleyes:

I didn't mention a 'special toll', irish vehicles with road tax paid should not have to pay tolls, visiting motorists who don't pay Irish road tax should be subject to tolls.
    Visiting motorists in most EU countries pay tolls anyway.
    So where would the discriminatory practice be?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

How would you like it if your boss / mother / girlfriend would be able to check up on a database to verify that you were indeed stuck in traffic on the M50 at a given time (as you claim) instead of dossing at the beach with some friends?

A lot of companies are already doing that with trackers (more in the UK than here though).

I'm not sure from a legal point of view could this type of evidence be used in court, as the basis for taking someone's car off them.
    I don't think so. It could be used as a basis to stop the car and investigate the VRT status though.

No different to VRT then :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 company_car

...Egan (him of westlife) is still driving his porsche cayenne *puke* on british plates, he has been for years now and that he has not paid for vrt is outrageous, considering his income! Not sure if he has yet taxed or bothered to display insurance on his Mini convertible yet either. Seriously this guy has had this porsche here on UK plates for at least 2.5 years.

Not content with murdering more good numbers since Pol Pot (or should that be Paul Potts) this uneducated dancer-crooner and his pimp (see http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=13397&page=40) refuse to pay Irish car tax.

What is it with awful people and non-payment of VRT? Everyone I know who illegally drives an English/NI reg here is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

The self righteous attitudes of some of the people on this thread are just disgusting.

You can see how customs get tipped off about uk reg cars when you have these types of people taking it so very personally that someone hasn't paid their Vrt.

It's the whole embittered attitude of "Well I had to pay it, so i'll make sure that you do" that stinks. The gloating and taking pleasure about people having their cars impounded by customs is bizarre to me on a section of a forum that's supposed to be for car lovers.

Personally, anyone who can get away with not paying Vrt, I say fair f*cks to them. While the tax itself is technically legal, it's certainly not fair.

It'd would be easier to stomach the tax if the billions of revenue collected by this tax over the past few years went toward creating a fantastic road network, but it ain't so. Motorists are getting taxed heavily but getting nothing back, but the pleasure of driving on some of the worst roads in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

roadruner wrote: »
    We're paying enough road tax in this country
    Over €4k tax a year on 3 cars , I don't think I should pay tolls.

you don't have to pay any tolls, just use an alternate route.:p
    In fairness you choose to pay €4k road tak a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 company_car

What is it with awful people and non-payment of VRT? Everyone I know who illegally drives an English/NI reg here is.
    daRobot wrote: »
    Personally, anyone who can get away with not paying Vrt, I say fair f*cks to them.

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Q.E.D.

So am I deemed to be awful in your eyes now?

• Advertisement

Handbags need to be checked in at the door please :D

Advertisement