Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer releases

Options
  • 28-05-2008 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Have heard a lot of people talking about big summer releases, is this for definite or are people just assuming ? if it is definite are we talking about new releases that will totaly blow all current offerings out of the water or just new slightly better cards ? and when is this going to happen exactly ? are there any firm dates ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MooseJam wrote: »
    Have heard a lot of people talking about big summer releases, is this for definite or are people just assuming ? if it is definite are we talking about new releases that will totaly blow all current offerings out of the water or just new slightly better cards ? and when is this going to happen exactly ? are there any firm dates ?

June 18th for the nVidia GTX260 and 280. ATI/AMD will shows their in August tentatively.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7523&Itemid=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Currently saving.....can't wait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Seems the nVidia cards will be available at launch, and the NDA expiration has been brought forward a day.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7586&Itemid=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

mid june for both ati and nvidia. Thats a fact :)

mid june for both ati and nvidia. Thats a fact :)

Mid-June for ATI is the 48xx range, not the R700 based cards in August/September

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7520&Itemid=65
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7512&Itemid=65

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Ya i know. MooseJam asked what was comming i said june .
    Fudzilla is called fud for a reason .:)

Might not be the best idea to pick up a 260/280 at launch

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/29/nvidia-gt200-sucessor-tapes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

wow, interesting reading, looks like things are bad for Nvidia, who'da thunk it, might be switching back to ATI this summer so, do you think an R770 would beat my two 8800gt's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Thats the second inquirer article I have read in as many days saying this next wave are going to be a dissapointment. I wouldnt read into it too much, I think the Inquirer guys are just annoyed they didnt get invited to the editors meeting with nVidia last week......
    Either way im still gonna buy one if its double the speed of my gts 320mb so ill let the benchmarks help me decide!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Take what you read in the Inquirer with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement

skuzzb wrote: »
    Either way im still gonna buy one if its double the speed of my gts 320mb so ill let the benchmarks help me decide!!

that won't exactly be a hard feat, the 9800gtx is there already more or less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Take what you read in the Inquirer with a pinch of salt

By pinch you mean fistfull yeah ?

is the inquirer known for bs or do they just have their own agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Their pretty much known for spouting bs, plus they are always overly biased towards ati. When the 2900 came out they said it would crush the 8800gtx.... Well that never happened.

Stick with sites like hardocp, xbitlabs,bit-tech, vr and a few others. Dotn even bother with toms hardware.

I now have 7-800 set aside for upgrade in June/July. Hope these cards perform. Even with 8800GTS 512mb SLI Crysis would only run at 1680x1050 high with PP and shadows on medium to achieve a framrate that stayed consistently playable in the heaviest of circumstances (50-60). Running it any higher was OK and looked great but in some instances it just got choppy and ruined the experience. So I stopped playing it after about 15 minutes - that game deserves to be played running at full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Anti wrote: »
    Their pretty much known for spouting bs, plus they are always overly biased towards ati. When the 2900 came out they said it would crush the 8800gtx.... Well that never happened.

Stick with sites like hardocp, xbitlabs,bit-tech, vr and a few others. Dotn even bother with toms hardware.

Is Toms hardware really that bad? I find his site useful, especially the GPU & CPU charts.
    I would never trust just one site to make a buying decission tho. Usually vist Anantech, Hardocp, The tech report etc. before I commit.

I normally use xbit labs for reviews. The VGA Charts for TH are crap; they have the range of cards but all the games are old, which doesn't reflect modern performance. If you went by some of those charts alone, the 7950GX2 is sometimes faster then the 8 series, and even the aged X1800XT seems close enough. Where as in reality, we all know the X1800XT hasn't go jack on the 8 series. their articles and reviews are good though I think, I read it sometimes. I like how they sometimes test budget and newer AGP cards with single core processors, to reflect the most likely reality in which they'd be used...

I like anandtech I think it's pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Alleged pricing:

gtx200seriespricenk1.jpg

They will probably cost the same in euros.....

4870 looks more enticing now

jaysus no way I'd pay 650 for a graphics card, In my younger days I spent 555 on a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis PRO 128MB, that was on 2003-04-28 I don't know if that was euro's or pounds, if it was pounds it would be 650 or more ha ha, my foolish youth, never again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I now have 7-800 set aside for upgrade in June/July. Hope these cards perform. Even with 8800GTS 512mb SLI Crysis would only run at 1680x1050 high with PP and shadows on medium to achieve a framrate that stayed consistently playable in the heaviest of circumstances (50-60). Running it any higher was OK and looked great but in some instances it just got choppy and ruined the experience. So I stopped playing it after about 15 minutes - that game deserves to be played running at full whack.

Your not going to spend €700 for Crysis?

All other games run well enough on your setup..

I'm thinking toward the GTX 260 or high end Ati myself, but they will have to be at least 70% faster than my 8800gtx

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    but they will have to be at least 70% faster than my 8800gtx

not a hope in hell, the jump is never that big

Dont think I will bother upgrading then, I have played Crysis to death at this stage, every other game I play goes fine on my E2160 @ 3.0ghz, 4gb ram, 8800gtx rig...

I have went Sli with the 8800gtx + 9800gx2, found it pretty pointless for a 22" and no dual monitor is very annoying...

The 8800gtx is nearly 2 years old now and the GTX 280 has almost twice as many shaders and each shader is rumoured to be 50% faster, 8 more TMUs, 16 more ROPs, 512bit bus etc etc

tbh I would be surprised if it wasn't 100% faster at 1920*1200 with 4AA

Do you not remember when the 8800GTX came out?? Trampled the 7950GX2, X1900XTX, etc...and the difference is about 100% in most games now. I mean look at it now - over 2 years on and still close to the elite of the current video card lineup. To call that impressive is an understatement.

I'm not specifically spending 700 on Crysis, but hoping that the new cards will be like the GTX - not just a stopgap or slight upgrade but a serious investment to last a long time.

They are internal Nvidia benches and the 3870X2 was using a rather old 8.3 driver afaik but.......

gtx200-series-performance.jpg

thats a pisstake surely

Could be true..

GTX280 80% faster faster in Crysis, 50% COD4, 110% COH, 58% UT3, 150% WIC, 104% faster than 3870X2 overall ( twice as fast as 8800gtx then)

These are the figures you would expect for a €550 video card against a €300 crossfire based card..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Some pics and specs aswell as a GPUZ here;
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17876541&page=13

• Advertisement

Ati HD4850 156 euros on this site, amazing price if they are as fast as people say they are ( faster than 9800gtx )

http://www.electronicagigant.nl/nl/product/categorie/componenten/videokaarten/sapphire/221182-sapphire-ati-hd4850,512mb

Advertisement