Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Especially difficult considering they are a rip off compared to the usual suspects both dine in and take out.
    I've never been so have no idea of their prices.

I did work for a major pizza brand many moons ago and can tell you they're all a major rip off! Especially if you avail of their 'free' delivery. They all run permanent 'take out specials' which are often half the price of having the food delivered.

They also have the food processed in a central hub and delivered to the stores ready to go. I'd guestimate it cost them less than €1.50 to produce a 19" pizza. The independent stores have to do this themselves which would add a significant labour cost to their overheads.

Did you know... Domino's Pizza Tallaght is the busiest pizza outlet in the world turning over more than €3.5 million in sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Speaking of Pizza, where do we think is the best?

Pizzeria at the Bull Ring.

I don't know when they'll be open again. The renovations look complete but still closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

everlast75 wrote: »
    Pizzeria at the Bull Ring.

I don't know when they'll be open again. The renovations look complete but still closed!

Yeah for me this cant be touched. Live in Dundalk and have often drove out to the Pizzeria to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭United Park

Speaking of Pizza, where do we think is the best?

Simonas for me!!

Is the place in Clogherhead run by the folks who used to have the place on Peter's street for many years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is the place in Clogherhead run by the folks who used to have the place on Peter's street for many years?

Yes, it is.
    Carlos is the man.
    The Pizzeria is the name of it.
    BTW the premises, in Peter Street, is now open again as a restaurant, called Number 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Probably a silly question but is any restaurants open Xmas day for take away

Nibs05 wrote: »

A few years ago staying in a hotel for Christmas was quite popular. Not sure how many will be open this year but I'd say that's your best bet for a take out. I've never heard of any restaurant opening on Christmas day and if they are licenced they are not allowed to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Had breakfast in Number 38 this morning.
    Very enjoyable .

Nibs05 wrote: »

Golf Club in Baltray is definitely open for sit in .

They were doing take-away during the lockdown but not sure about XMas day .

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes, it is.
    Carlos is the man.
    The Pizzeria is the name of it.
    BTW the premises, in Peter Street, is now open again as a restaurant, called Number 38.

Being run by a man from Phillipstown, he had a bar in Lanzarote for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

event wrote: »
    Being run by a man from Phillipstown, he had a bar in Lanzarote for years

tom ?

Golf Club in Baltray is definitely open for sit in .
    On Christmas day?

This theme of just naming a place after the number on the address has gotten pretty old, fairly quickly. I surely can't be only one who thinks it shows a massive lack of originality on the owner's parts?

I was in Borzalino this month and thought the food was lovely. I had pizza there and although it was enjoyable, I still don't think anywhere in the town is as nice as Four Star Pizza. I do think a problem Pizza places that open new will have, especially in regards to Pizza Baker that only really do a delivery service, is that Pizza can range massively from delicious to inedible (for example; I always order Four Star, but wouldn't touch Apache, despite them both offering the "same" product).

It doesn't help, either, that even the local Centra will knock you out a ready-to-eat heated pizza for a fiver. Pizza is so commonplace now that I reckon the market for pizza-specific places is non-existent. I reckon you'd have a harder time listing the places that don't sell it.

In relation to Indian food - I still think Punjabi House on the Dublin Road is pretty infallible. Consistently good food.

I still don't think anywhere in the town is as nice as Four Star Pizza. I do think a problem Pizza places that open new will have, especially in regards to Pizza Baker that only really do a delivery service, is that Pizza can range massively from delicious to inedible

Time from oven to table has a big effect on pizza, it quickly deteriorates once out of the oven. If it takes more than 30 mins to deliver it's going to be soggy hence Domino's old 30 mins or it's free policy (until their drivers started having too many accidents).

My go to would normally be Apache. We don't order pizza very often though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

16 inch from 4 star is €12 collection, great deal.

Delfino Bay in Laytown has lovely authentic Italian Pizza for takeout too, prefer it to Simona / Sorentos etc.

16 inch from 4 star is €12 collection, great deal.
    €23 if you have it delivered, but hey, it's free delivery!! LOL... one of the longest running scams going.

Scotty # wrote: »
    On Christmas day?[/QUOTE
    Yes definitely

blingrhino wrote: »
    tom ?

Thats the one. Came home last year (I think) and this is the new venture. Hopefully goes well for him.

On Christmas day?
    Yes definitely

Hmm, I had to check it out. It seems private members clubs can open between 12pm and 10pm on Christmas day and can sell alcohol but only to members of the club.

Never heard of a golf club opening Christmas day before.

How much is membership?

• Advertisement

Passed the short lived restaurant beside the fish shop on Laurence's St earlier and see it's in the process of being converted to an Italian. Also I can confirm that the pastries from the new Portuguese place further up are delicious !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Passed the short lived restaurant beside the fish shop on Laurence's St earlier and see it's in the process of being converted to an Italian...

Simonas is relocating to there.

Hmm, I had to check it out. It seems private members clubs can open between 12pm and 10pm on Christmas day and can sell alcohol but only to members of the club.

Never heard of a golf club opening Christmas day before.

How much is membership?

You won't need membership , just call and book .
    Think they enrol you as a guest .

You won't need membership , just call and book .
    Think they enrol you as a guest .
    The club might not require you to be a member but the licence does. A bit foolish of them to risk their licence for the few quid they'll make. Only takes one complaint...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Has Pizza Baker beside the Thatch shut up shop? Looked to be closed any time I passed it this week.

Worst pizza takeout of the lot. Really bland.

It's one thing to go up against established takeout brands, but you need a far, far superior product to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

For me it has to be Tribe out in Duleek.

They're very good.

Also don't forget Little Naples in Duleek. Only open Thurs-Sun. Probably my favourite of the lot.

€23 if you have it delivered, but hey, it's free delivery!! LOL... one of the longest running scams going.

I'm not overly familiar with their pricing, but I reckon their deal of a large pizza (think its 14"?) and two sides (I often opt for chips + Garlic pizza bread) for €17 delivered is reasonable enough. Enough to cater for two people easily enough.

One of the things I do like about Four Star, are the Chicken Dippers (always lovely) and the BBQ sauce they stock. Harrison's or something i think is the sauce brand, but i can never find it anywhere else, only in Four Star. It's really, really nice.

(that said, an annoyance with Four Star is they never seem to check what sauce you specified when you order a side. You always seem to end up with Garlic and Herb unless you specifically buy the sauces as an extra, which is only €1 for 3 sauces, but it seems to be the only way to actually make sure they deliver the right ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Pizza baker was open up until a couple of weeks ago.

With all the big pizza brands in town it would be extremely difficult for an independent to be successful.

I suspect they stood up a very large club order one Saturday towards the end of October - loads of kids waiting and pizzas just didn't turn up, no communication, nothing. Not sure if there was any deposit involved and/or what exactly happened.

positron wrote: »
    I suspect they stood up a very large club order one Saturday towards the end of October - loads of kids waiting and pizzas just didn't turn up, no communication, nothing. Not sure if there was any deposit involved and/or what exactly happened.

That (if true) is pretty bad form. Stupid stuff like that would do a lot of hurt to a business I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

They're very good.

Also don't forget Little Naples in Duleek. Only open Thurs-Sun. Probably my favourite of the lot.

Lovely as well.

Advertisement