Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

whelan1 wrote: »
    what time does eastern seaboard open at have to get a voucher for friend for xmas - is it open for lunch?

yeah we had an early lunch there last week at 12.00 so I'm guessing it's probably open from 11.00ish onwards?

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

deadly thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

Anyone raving about Bia..Couldn't agree more.. we were there (two of us) on Sat for lunch.. delicious food, great service, generous portions,lovely atmosphere.. unbelievable value! would highly recommend!A fab menu with something for every taste!Great lunch option!
    For evenings you can't beat Eastern Seaboard.. love it, love it, love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Thommo wrote: »
    Went there last saturday night.Waited over an hour for our food and only one other table occuppied in the place.The manageress has no manner whatsoever.She got into a flurry quite easily saying she couldn't believe how bizzy they were??Shame really as the town could do with somewhere of its potential.May get better with time...:mad:

It was shut today, even though sign says it opens 12 to 12. Wonder has it gone same way as O&F?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Mylow wrote: »
    It was shut today, even though sign says it opens 12 to 12. Wonder has it gone same way as O&F?

I believe that the food is not great at all..

Patatas Bravas is frozen chips covered with sauce?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Whoever put the business plan together for La Vida would want to have there head examined, talk about replicating the mistakes of O&F by misreading your target market.

Mylow wrote: »

Passed it today and there was a sign saying 'closed monday & tuesday'
    I might be wrong but isn't it under the same ownership as O&F?

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Passed it today and there was a sign saying 'closed monday & tuesday'
    I might be wrong but isn't it under the same ownership as O&F?

One of the old managers from the D Hotel is running la vida, I think she was assistant general manager.
    It is up a little from O&F...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

marvilly wrote: »
    Anyone raving about Bia..Couldn't agree more.. we were there (two of us) on Sat for lunch.. delicious food, great service, generous portions,lovely atmosphere.. unbelievable value! would highly recommend!A fab menu with something for every taste!Great lunch option!
    For evenings you can't beat Eastern Seaboard.. love it, love it, love it!!

Well well, another red hot review for the seaboard !! 'Love it Love it Love ....!!!!!! OMG such incredible love for the Seaboard.. Gordan Ramsey himself must be in the kitchen or is there something else that has people so hyper about the place?

bottomdog wrote: »
    Well well, another red hot review for the seaboard !! 'Love it Love it Love ....!!!!!! OMG such incredible love for the Seaboard.. Gordan Ramsey himself must be in the kitchen or is there something else that has people so hyper about the place?

Have you tried it yet yourself, what did you think of it?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

Fair play to you for kinda giving your old employers a bit of a plug:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Had a nice lunch in Bizou over the Christmas holidays. Had the special of the day which was Bacon and Cabbage. Good wholesome food, big portions and reasonably priced.

[statistic]On a side note out of a thread of 371 posts there are 88 mentions of a certain restaurant. :pac: [/statistic]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lilywhite47

haines35 wrote: »

I never worked there, but I have friends who do:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

haines35 wrote: »

Haha! Well spotted! Glowing review for La Vida and then a plug for the D.......mmmmmmmmmm, I defo smell a fish! Either I was in the wrong La Vida, or somebody is being a little biased!!!

And patatas a la brava are technically "chips in taco sauce"....! But done right, are delicious!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I never worked there, but I have friends who do:P

Your 'review' has been deleted. While I have suspicious feelings about other one post users making reviews, it makes it easier when people tell you they are biased.

DDad2009 wrote: »
    Haha! Well spotted! Glowing review for La Vida and then a plug for the D.......mmmmmmmmmm, I defo smell a fish! Either I was in the wrong La Vida, or somebody is being a little biased!!!

And patatas a la brava are technically "chips in taco sauce"....! But done right, are delicious!!!!

Yeah but not frozen chips.... They could at least peel a few potatoes...

delly wrote: »
    Your 'review' has been deleted. While I have suspicious feelings about other one post users making reviews, it makes it easier when people tell you they are biased.
    I did not read the review, but you are right, plenty on one timers posting rave reviews on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

bottomdog wrote: »

I'm going there in a fortnight, i can't wait to try the place. The reviews given here are extraordinary!!

It'll probably be the 1st Michelin star restaurant in Drogheda :rolleyes:

Actually I do hope it is nice, don't want to waste a saturday night in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thecons

Am I the only person not impressed with the Eastern Seaboard??? Was only there once (once was enough) in a large group for a 40th Birthday. Didn't like the food, but then I can be picky enough... Thought the clipboard type menu was a disaster, looked awful. Table service was awful, we ending up going up to the bar to get drinks. They wouldn't allow us to "celebrate" our friends birthday in any way in case we annoyed the rest of the customers. They did allow us a cake however, which they charged €60 to cut! All in all, I hated it.

On another note, we also went to Scholars for the same person's 40th. Had a booking for 25, everything was excellent, down to the personalised birthday menu for our friend. We were allowed to put up posters anywhere in the bar/restaurant area, brought our own personalised table mats, had a cake with no charge for cutting. It was the €25 3 Course menu (which is now €27.50). We went through the bill quite closely at the end and discovered that those who didn't take dessert were only charged €19.95. As always, the food was excellent.

For me, nothing beats Scholars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

New chinese opened in Donore last night.

Decided to take a trip up that way tonight and glad I did, fecking delicious.

Got crispy beef in hot garlic sauce / chips / fried rice / noodles.

The crispy beef was fabulous, full of red and green peppers too and veg, not my kinda thing jsut wanted the beef but the my other half enjoyed the extras in the dish.

Overall it cost me €13.50 and they chucked in huge bag of prawn crackers.

Very impressed and highly recommend to others.

• Advertisement

thecons wrote: »
    Am I the only person not impressed with the Eastern Seaboard??? Was only there once (once was enough) in a large group for a 40th Birthday. Didn't like the food, but then I can be picky enough... Thought the clipboard type menu was a disaster, looked awful. Table service was awful, we ending up going up to the bar to get drinks. They wouldn't allow us to "celebrate" our friends birthday in any way in case we annoyed the rest of the customers. They did allow us a cake however, which they charged €60 to cut! All in all, I hated it.

On another note, we also went to Scholars for the same person's 40th. Had a booking for 25, everything was excellent, down to the personalised birthday menu for our friend. We were allowed to put up posters anywhere in the bar/restaurant area, brought our own personalised table mats, had a cake with no charge for cutting. It was the €25 3 Course menu (which is now €27.50). We went through the bill quite closely at the end and discovered that those who didn't take dessert were only charged €19.95. As always, the food was excellent.

For me, nothing beats Scholars!

€60 to cut a cake ?? Is that normal ?? My own humble opinion is the Eastern Seaboard is a fine place, pricey at lunxhtime because I think its the same menu as evenings if my memory is correct, The service can be patchy too. The reviews here for the Eastern Seaboard are often over the top glowing and often written by first time posters which raises eyebrows and comments.

As for Scholars, again its lovely for the 'grand' occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

I think in the past I've had a good and bad word to say about Donegans in the evening.

I've been there quite a few times in the last couple of months in the evening and lunchtime. Both times have been fabulous especially the lunch.

Had lamb xmas eve and it was fantastic, soup for starters and dinner cost only €15, been there twice this week and had chicken curry, only €10 and it's fantastic, huge lump of delicious chicken served with tasty curry and huge blob of rice and chips too.

Other half had ham and turkey, carrots, cabbage and mash, again delicious, so for anyone wanting a nice meal at lunchtime, look no further.

Well the in-laws have offered to babysit some night next week so myself and mrs ox are hoping to try somewhere in town for a meal that we haven't been to before.
    We're thinking of Tango as it's getting good reviews here.
    Any thoughts, food recommendations etc?
    Thanks!

CPL 593H

Also for a bit of friday fun, have a look at this clip on youtube and replace the words 'BBC' with 'The Eastern Seaboard' :pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukun8nc5Y8U

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I had lunch in the Eastern Seaboard today and thought it was really rather good!

Me too, I would gladly sell my house and all its contents for the Eastern Seaboard! :pac:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thecons

€60 to cut a cake ?? Is that normal ??

Bottomdog, that was €2 per head to cut the cake. It wouldn't have fed 10 of us let alone 30. It was a token for the birthday girl! And we weren't allowed to sing Happy Birthday either so we told them to stick it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

These days life in Drogheda is hard. It's hard everywhere else too, but it's hard in Drogheda and that's what matters. No, I am not going to qualify that, it's just hard. Just trust me, it's very hard!

Anyway, in these hard times, where we cook all our dinners in the disguise of it's healthy (real reason: it's cheaper), the only respite for occasional break from the tedium seems to be cheap take aways. Wok's cooking (in Wheaton Hall) has been our favorite all along, their curry and chips for 8 quid feeds two of us! Now, there's a new (hmm, may be not so new) star in keeping me nourished (err.. sort of) - - Staffords / Crossroads at Bryanstown Manor, does a 12" pizza with any three toppings for €3.50. They will cook it for you too, if you can wait 10-15 (although it feels like 30-40) minutes. Their toppings selection is limited, but cajun chicken is the dog's nuts. Nice and spicy, as it should be! And 12" is a lot of pizza! :)

The new-ish MACE in Wheaton Hall has also recently started doing a pizza deal. It's 10" though, and it's €5.00. On the plus side they have slightly more toppings and it's usually ready in 2 minutes (!!!), but over all Staffords is better value!

Thanks to Staffords for saving the (/my) world - one pizza at a time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have long been a fan of staffords €3.50 pizza! It's huge, I can't even finish one on my own!
    I like the bacon, peppers and onions combo, but dp prefers the chicken.

I like Ming Garden on Trinity St for Chinese takeout, and Tango's for sit down Chinese.

• Advertisement

What's the story with Tango's?
    I'm going there on Thursday night for the first time, is it good?

CPL 593H

Advertisement