Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

blingrhino wrote: »
    ask ETHO- im sure he has a smart arse answer for it or he can blame the recession

Eh...what are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

eth0_ wrote: »
    Eh...what are you on about?

:confused: I wonder too

I know I know... I went to the ESb again last night and I swear the place was hopping! No recession there. We just about managed to get 4 stools at the bar to have a drink the place was packed! Food was great and so was the service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

going to bring family out for a meal this evening we have 3 kids youngest is nearly 2 where would be best to go ? what is bru like ? anywhere have good offers on , are borzalinos still quite expensive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

How about chanco or tangos?
    Great 'all you can eat' value...if you like chinese/asian food

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

furiousox wrote: »
    How about chanco or tangos?
    Great 'all you can eat' value...if you like chinese/asian food

Yep I went to chans in bettystown last night, it is a sister restaurant to Chanco..

It was great value, at the weekends it is €17.50 per head

Monday to Thurs it is €15.50 per head, the kids are €9 each..

All you can eat, we had a bit of a selection of starters shared and the mains were lovely.. I have heard of complaints of service but it was fine for us last night and the place was packed.

We got the kids a scoop of icecream each (2 kids) and it was €7.60 for them.. So avoid desserts, that is where they make their money!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

whelan1 wrote: »
    going to bring family out for a meal this evening we have 3 kids youngest is nearly 2 where would be best to go ? what is bru like ? anywhere have good offers on , are borzalinos still quite expensive ?

Asian is out when talking about kids of that age in my opinion. I would recommend Bru alright, the food is usually quite good but I tend to only go there if I'm feeling flush. A cheaper option is bia if your interested, they have never failed to deliver and the prices are extremely good value although it might not be the 'true' restaurant experiance your looking for. I've only been to borzalinps a couple of times in my pre children era so can't say much about it.

well it was ds birthday he was 9 and we wrote out a list of 10 places to go for tea , he picked the valley inn - thats our local - where we go about once a week :rolleyes: all was fine no complaints and he was happy too

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Went to La Vida last night. The food was way below average, something as simple as Patatas Bravas couldn't even be got right, squitred some sort of burger sauces over deep fried cubed potatoes. The crab claws are alledgedly from Clogherhead, the ones I had were overcooked. Got the feeling they were frozen crab claws. As for selection of wines and beers, not one Spanish beer, no sign of an Albarinio (the Rioja of the whites).

There were 6 people in there same times as me, and as many staff, service was slow. I certainly wouldn't be going back. My teenage daughter could cook better tapas than this lot, admittedly her mum is Spanish. Seriously, this is a poor excuse for Tapa's. I would be embarrassed to bring a Spanish person in there.

Save your money and go somewhere else.

PS: Is it compulsory that the management of O&F and now La Vida have the grumpiest heads on them? I don't think they could crack a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Decided to give this place a whirl yesterday for the Sunday lunch.

16.90 for all you can eat...good value.

Lovely place, nice attentive staff,
    All went well with the starters, ribs( meaty) duck( plentiful) thai Spring rolls(OK), Tom Yum Soup( lovely)

However the mains were a total disaster, I have a real bee in my bonnet about Chinese restaurants serving up "diced breast" of chicken etc. when it's clearly the chopped , bagged stuff that is bought in. The meat tasted plastic and rubbery due to whatever preservative coating the meat is stored in , couldn't eat it at all. Unfortunate but I won't be going back. Too many other decent Chinese's in the vicinity to warrant a return here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

My family two adults two kids went to Flynns in Termonfeckin sunday evening.The bar menu is served untill 8pm and in my opinion is excellent value,all main courses are roughly 12.95 max many cheaper with the exception of the steak at 16/17 €.
    The food in general is far better than average bar fare and beats the pants off our old haunt in monasterboice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ClareK

I just moved here from Los Angeles in early March and my restaurant experience here has been mixed. I absolutely adore the Eastern Seaboard; the food, atmosphere and service were all top-notch. I'd say it's the best meal I've had since moving here.

Tried Sorrento's and was sorely disappointed. Their bolognese sauce was thin and watery, and their caprese salad was tomato, mozzarella and ICEBERG LETTUCE. No basil!? Also went to Borzalino's. Pasta was good but the pizza was completely soggy all the way through.

I went to La Vida last weekend and actually really enjoyed it. My friends and I shared a few things, including the potatas bravas, and all were excellent. I think they had a few hiccups at first but that's to be expected for a new place.

DVine is also a favorite from a previous visit, and I'm looking forward to trying it again tomorrow evening.

So what are the other MUST tries? I've heard of La Pizzeria, but haven't gone yet. Any other gems, especially hidden ones? Please make some reccomendations... :)

Clare
    http://AnAmericanInIreland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Enjoyed reading your blog, makes great reading! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ClareK

Ah thanks :). I'm glad you enjoyed it.

So are there any "foodies" here in Drogheda, as in people who are really into cooking, trying new restaurants, etc? I would love to do a "Come Dine with Me" style series of dinner parties but so far I haven't met people who are really into cooking and food. Feel free to contact me through my website if anyone is interested. Would be fun. Of course we don't have to do it all in one week, that might be a bit much...

Clare
    http://www.AnAmericanInIreland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Brilliant Blog Claire, It's really amusing to read what a non native thinks of the place. Bummer about your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Not quite Drogheda but we had a lovely meal in the Bellewstown Inn last weekend.
    Usually if we're in the mood for a steak we will head up to the Black Bull, but last time around we were waiting over an hour on a table as the activator "thingy" they use to alert you that your table is ready didn't go off. I sent my partner up twice, they said they had alerted us but we didnt come and take the table so we missed it.
    Long story short, went up last Saturday and was told that it would be at least 40mins so we about turned and said we would try elsewhere.

Drove down to Bellewstown and headed into the little restaurant, which only had 2 other tables taken at the time.
    Very friendly and attentive staff (father and son it transpired) and a lovely menu which had a great choice of starters and mains and also a specials board (although I rarely opt for specials)
    We both had seafood chowder to start which was lovely, not too thin and full of seafood and for mains we had sirloin steaks with pepper sauce and chunky homemade real chips. For dessert we shared a lovely lemon cheesecake which was mouth watering.
    As we ate the little restaurant filled up with people, mainly locals it seemed as the father and son seemed to know almost everybody on a first name basis.
    Will definately head back to try the rest of the menu, if I have my way, we'll be heading down tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

see romanza restaurant at the back of the town centre is gone.

are you sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

def - kitchen man went in last week and pulled out what he could salvage.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hmm...oh well.
    Was in there once shortly after it opened and never went back.
    Service was appallingly slow, food was so-so and the owner sat at the bar clicking his fingers along to the piano player all night.
    More time on the floor and less time clicking the fingers might have made a difference.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

Slightly OT and not sure if it comes in under the term restaurant but was on Eddie Rockets Website and it seems there bringing out a new menu! Looks fab! Loads of new items!
    Does anyone know if its been brought in yet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

NAGGIE03 wrote: »
    Slightly OT and not sure if it comes in under the term restaurant but was on Eddie Rockets Website and it seems there bringing out a new menu! Looks fab! Loads of new items!
    Does anyone know if its been brought in yet!

Yeah, i was there last week. In fairness it well overdue as they've been doing the same stuff since the mid nineties. The only problem now is knowing what to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi All

Not quite restauranty but could anyone recmeond somewhere in Drogheda that does cooked breakfast? preferably about 2/3 during the day?

Thanks in advance,
    LJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

Smithstown is the best in town!

It's the kinda trucker place beside the glenside holtel on the dublin road.

Smithstown special is the fuill brekkie although i tend to ask for noi pudding as you get and extra egg then :)

Enjoy

Jaffa`s does an all day brekkie too methinks!

That's great, thanks a million, can you tell me where jaffa's is please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Bia on the Dublin road as well.
    Lovely food and great value.

ellejay wrote: »
    That's great, thanks a million, can you tell me where jaffa's is please?
    jaffas is at the end of the lane way beside pennys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

whelan1 wrote: »
    jaffas is at the end of the lane way beside pennys

then cross the road and go into the courtyard it is on the left.
    :)

Bia on the Dublin road as well.
    Lovely food and great value.

Tks, Do you know if they do an all day breakfast

• Advertisement

jeepers you will be starving if you dont get somewhere soon:D

Advertisement