Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

ellejay wrote: »
    Tks, Do you know if they do an all day breakfast

Im almost sure they do. Give them a call.:)
    <LI class=tel>Tel: (041)9802571

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Invictus2010

positron wrote: »
    Nothing came up on a quick search, thought I would kick off a thread on the topic...!

Hey there,

I'm new to Drogheda too, another Dub blow in...
    Missing the variety I'm used to but what Drogheda lacks in quantity it defo makes up for in quality.

Tried a few so far, Eastern Seaboard - not bad for a pose, Black bull - good ordinary tucker, Bru - great coffee, Chan's - great Chinese and attentive staff..

....but my fav place at the mo is Harry's Bistro Bar in Mell. Was there on Sunday with the family and great thing is I came home with a few bob in me pocket. The wife loves the staff as they're great with the kids and the food is as good as my fav hot spots in Dub (home away from home). Bonus is the deck over the river, nothing better than a cool pint of the black stuff while taking in the rays on the deck. Have booked the function room for the wife's 40th, they've got some great packages.

So all in all I'd say fair play to the hospitality guys in Drogheda - I'm feeling right at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Visited Harry's last week after having an okay lunch there 6 months ago.

I'll never go back again. Totally shocking. Steaks were rotten, under-cooked sides and rude staff.

Avoid at all costs is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

fairly conflicting reports there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

yeah, pretty different opinions

One poster with 1 post and one poster with over 900 posts!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement

yeah, pretty different opinions

One poster with 1 post and one poster with over 900 posts!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

This thread has an extraordinary history of being the first point of call for new users.

With riveting reviews also.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I haven't been to many places to eat in Drogheda. So far I'm liking Bia and that place on West Street near Tesco's but across the road. Sorry, I forget the name but it's quite nice. This thread is pretty invaluable to me as I'd like to expand where I eat out.

_Godot_ wrote: »
    that place on West Street near Tesco's but across the road. Sorry, I forget the name but it's quite nice.

The Gateway?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

In_tuition wrote:
    The Gateway?

That's the one. I've always enjoyed what I ate in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I'm not from Drogheda originally but my girlfriend is from the area so we've been to a few places.
    Jaffa's is alright, a bit over priced considering all you're getting really is a toastie and a pile of chips I'm sure you'd be able to rustle up at home to the same standard yet at a fraction of the price. I tried their toffee pudding and it was the worst pudding I've yet to come across. It tasted like a microwavable one straight off the shelf from Tesco. The atmosphere is a bit limp. I don't think I've ever seen a smile in the place!
    The Salthouse I found to be really nice. It's very laid back and run by a really funny Australian. The food is really well priced considering the quality of it and they really don't skimp on portions. I did however get some sort of apple and cinnamon strudle that had a really mouldy taste off it. I don't know if it was just me or if something was a little off with it, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and just put it down to wonky tastebuds. Fun and friendly atmosphere inside and the signs outside are always filled with some joke or cheeky remark. I really like that place and will certainly call in when I'm down again.
    Sorrento's I brought my girlfriend there for our anniversary last year as it was her favourite restaurant in Drogheda. We got take away from there a few times and it really was good. I don't know why I was so disappointed when I went for the actual sit down meal. Perhaps it was the fact I was suffering from terrible hayfever that day, or the fact it was like a ghost town, and even though there was 2 or 3 other couples vacating the upstairs, we were an incredible distance away from everyone else, which made it feel really cold and unfriendly. The food was decent enough if you are a fan of pasta dishes more than traditional Italian pizza's. I don't know why they would go through all the trouble to cook a pizza, yet completely skimp or have absolutely no real standards when it comes to pizza toppings. I know I didn't pick the most authentic toppings (salami and chilli) but I was expecting a decent Italian sausage not the processed, anorexic discs of meat that I did get. They just got to that stage where they warmed up enough to secrete their grease all over the just-about melted cheese and completely ghost like crust.Authentic Italian pizza's tend to be slightly charred on the edges. It looks like the Italian restaurants across Ireland are afraid to give the pizza's a proper lick of the flame for fear someone will complain about it being "burnt". But if anyone looks for AUTHENTIC and complains about that, they deserved to be rooted out on their backsides. Anyway, a nice dessert and friendly staff salvaged the night.

Bia was my most recent outing, and I found major flaws in my burger. I think the biggest problem Bia have is that they have one thing on their menu, yet what you get is a completely different story. I ordered a bacon and cheese burger that was said to come with a spicy tomato relish. On arrival, the first major problem I had with my dish before it even touched the table infront of me, was the fact they had my food spread out across the plate to give off the impression there was more food on the plate then there was, for what reason I do not know. All I know is that a very stringy melted cheese slice is not easy to unglue from the lid of a half covered burger. It looks so horrible and messy. Why do they feel the need to fan out the ingredients of your burger? To prove they actually put it on there? I could have lifted the lid myself you know.. But instead I had a mangled burger bun lid which I had to wrestle off the super glue-esqu cheese. On assembly of my burger I also found the slice of bacon looked like it was boiled, and it had this god-awful amount of slimey, rubbery fat still hanging off the side of it. Hideously un-appetising. The burger meat was also badly seasoned if seasoned at all. I went through atleast 4 sachets of salt and pepper to try and bring my dull meal back to life. And on top of all that, the 'relish' I received was just a watered down ketchup with a few slimey onions thrown in on top. There was NO spice in it what so ever, so I didn't understand why it was to be described as a 'spicy relish'. That meal was a total nightmare. I don't think I'll ever go back there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

_Godot_ wrote: »
    That's the one. I've always enjoyed what I ate in there.

Say hi to my Mam!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fed16

went to sorrentos over the wknd.

overpriced crap food. bruschetta was ok for starters but quite expensive for what you are getting. the cannelloni was very poor, the quality of the meat in it was atrocious. steak was very small and the pepper sauce tasted like it had been cooked in a pan used to fry mushrooms beforehand. the house wine was also piss. all in all a big disappointment. stay clear of this place. the only good thing was the waitress who provided a good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

went to an italian in smarmore castle .
    had`nt been there in years and i did`nt know if it was still open.
    glad it was ,fantastic original food with no bull****.
    decor a bit dodgy so not very romantic if thats what your after but great for familys and cheap a chips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

went there a good few times a few years ago , one night 8 of us went the staff where rude very slow and we had to wait ages we didnt go back , and also an important member of the locality came in after us and they got all their courses while all we had got was our starter we said never ever again and we had kids with us which made it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Apparently Wednesday, May 26th is National Fish & Chips day ( link to BA), and you can get your fish & chipps for half price at participating chippers. This is the list for Drogheda:

Domenico Take Away, 4 Georges Street 041 9837861
    Joe's Take Away, 5 Crusrod Avenue Yellowbatter 041 9836663
    Macari's, Strand Road, Laytown
    Macari's, Collon Road, Slane 041 9884455
    Macari's Food Fare, Stamullen

I have always wondered who does THE BEST fish & chips in Drogheda? Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

The Genoa, Shop St?

CPL 593H

I see 'The Genoa' got a few more votes of approval back on Page 3! I'll give them a go this week! Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Tasty Tart

We went to the Salthouse on Saturday night. Lovely as always and good fun. We had a drink outside first which was lovely on the river.

I also like Eastern Seaboard for the buzz. Some of the food is really good eg the chicken wings but some menu items are very average such as the spaghetti with clams- a bit bland. I think its best to stick to their bestsellers.

D'vine is also lovely.

Places to avoid, in my opinion, include; La Vida (in keeping with some earlier reviews on here), Sorrentos (which was once my fave place in Drogheda about 10 years ago:confused:) and Bru (overpriced with unfriendly staff)

If anybody knows of any nice new places , let me know- I'm always on the lookout!!

We tried Sylvios Traditional Fish & Chips at the junctions of Georges st and Fair St earlier this evening. It wasn't too bad really. Portions were good, chips tasted okay, fish (tried fresh cod and smoked code) was very good. It was better than what I got from Leo Burdocks in Dublin on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ye i wondered how it was doing considering dominics is across the road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Drog1

Eastern Seaboard has to be the best in Drogheda

positron wrote: »
    We tried Sylvios Traditional Fish & Chips at the junctions of Georges st and Fair St earlier this evening. It wasn't too bad really. Portions were good, chips tasted okay, fish (tried fresh cod and smoked code) was very good. It was better than what I got from Leo Burdocks in Dublin on Wednesday.

It's owned by Bella Atina, so if you enjoy their pizzas the ones in Sylvios are the exact same almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

Had a toasted chicken tikka sambo in la vida mocha beside tesco today, yum

Drog1 wrote: »
    Eastern Seaboard has to be the best in Drogheda

Yes, well that's a given.....

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

furiousox wrote: »
    Yes, well that's a given.....

More praise for the evermentioned ESB. deserved or not? I think its uncomfortable but I agree the food is pretty good. And frankly they get a lot of 1st time reviews here that have unbridled outpourings of praise.

Much like Harrys review a few pages back

I prefer Indus for a proper meal.ESB for a snack.

I was in D'vine before it closed to move.....lovely place, but they use the same sauces for starters and mains, thats kinda cheating or boring.....but the kitchen is small....they are moving ...so here's to the new bigger kitchen.

FATE in Bettystown is nice for a change, lovely staff.

I think the standard of chips in takeaways are poor, Maconi's on west street and Mullens on Duleek street are the best IMHO

bottomdog wrote: »
    Mullens on Duleek street are the best IMHO

Anytime I drive by there is always a decent crowd in it but whenever I have been there I've found is rotten.

Agree with the chips thing. Got some out of Dominics recently and feck sake they were disgusting. Reheated 3 times over. Burgers from Dominics are lovely but avoid the chippies.

On another note the chinese in Donore does a fantastic chicken burger. Well worth checking out if that's your taste.

Very difficult to get a decent portion of chips around the town of Drawda!

I found Mullens chips to be average and the portions quite small and expensive.
    Haven't eaten in Dominics for a long time but if we're getting chips we always frequent the Genoa.

CPL 593H

In_tuition wrote: »
    Very difficult to get a decent portion of chips around the town of Drawda!

While chips are not their specialty, Woks Cooking, the chinese takeaway in Wheaton Hall, does really nice chips - not too oily, not undercooked - they are always spot on and theirs is the the best chips I have had in Drogheda so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

bottomdog wrote: »
    I was in D'vine before it closed to move.....lovely place, but they use the same sauces for starters and mains, thats kinda cheating or boring.....but the kitchen is small....they are moving ...so here's to the new bigger kitchen.

where are they moving too? main charm of that place was it's cosy atmospheric setup while the food is probably just OK.

• Advertisement

zac8 wrote: »
    where are they moving too? main charm of that place was it's cosy atmospheric setup while the food is probably just OK.

Somewhere in Dyer St I heard, maybe the old pink elephant?

CPL 593H

Advertisement