Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Olio & Farina- Bad atmosphere, poor service. The two franchise owners (I'm guessing) look as though they have had surgery to remove the capacity to smile. They are just rude, especially the Roy Cropper lookalike.
    I couldn't enjoy my order due to the bad atmosphere and sense that I was being watched. I'm not surprised it has the poor reputation it has. Unfriendliest cafe in town. In stark contrast to the SaltHouse!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Slightly off topic, but can anybody recommend good chipper chips in the town. I long for the chips I used to get in Beshoffs Clontarf or Howth, really quality stuff.

delly wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but can anybody recommend good chipper chips in the town. I long for the chips I used to get in Beshoffs Clontarf or Howth, really quality stuff.

Try Joes in YellowBatter. Quality chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

I didn't like the chips I got from the shop by the entrance to Bettystown beach. Not nice at all! Woks cooking at Wheaton Hall does superb chips (just chips though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

delly wrote: »

Joes +1

Like Mullens too.

Olio & Farina

Where is it so I can avoid it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Good stuff folks, i'll check Joes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

Bia recently opened on the Dublin Road, near Scotch Hall, and I believe it's very nice, one of my fave places.

Yeah, i've been to Bia a couple of times with the wife and toddler and found the service, price and quality of food to be very good. I have also had to turn back around and walk out on occasion tho' as they seem to have only a few highchairs.

Bia-Yes, I highly recommend the All day breakfast. Excellent value and good hangover nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

Has to be the Genoa on shop st or Guilios on West st for the chipper!! Guilios have a fab selection and also do free delivery which is handy! One bag of chips is enough to feed a family of five!! (I would imagine, didnt actually try to feed five people with one bag of chips!);)

Live near Joes and always found the chips to be a bit undercooked if they are mad busy the shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

NAGGIE03 wrote: »
    Has to be the Genoa on shop st or Guilios on West st for the chipper!! Guilios have a fab selection and also do free delivery which is handy! One bag of chips is enough to feed a family of five!! (I would imagine, didnt actually try to feed five people with one bag of chips!);)

Live near Joes and always found the chips to be a bit undercooked if they are mad busy the shop!

a family of five sparrows maybe! I don't really think there would be enough for five people.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭phonchoman

best 32.50 for a 3 course meal you`ll ever spend... Im a big food person , and by a long way Scholars is the best place in the region/louth , they even have an olympic Chef working there.

(although i have heard of people complain about some random issues, to be honest these people must be completely mental, its just top top notch!)

http://www.scholarshotel.com/restaurant.htm

finally the other place I have a warm place in my heart for is the Triple House, Pat Fox is an excellent chef and his 4 course meal for 20euro is just pure quality... although it can feel a little nippy inside in the winter. but its still good enough for the Rolling Stones to eat in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Hawkeye4real

Bia recently opened on the Dublin Road, near Scotch Hall, and I believe it's very nice, one of my fave places.

The quote above appears a bit suspect, saying you believe its nice, implies you haven't actually been there, so how can it be one of your fave places?? Its either one thing or the other!!

After trying to pick somewhere recently to satisfy a variety of tastes (including fussy, plain eaters!) Went with the Black Bull, because a) It's walking distance and b) It does nice steaks for the plain eaters. Result: 6 at the table and 6 were delighted with every course. Have to mention Seamus, who attendance to service restores hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

phonchoman wrote: »
    best 32.50 for a 3 course meal you`ll ever spend... Im a big food person , and by a long way Scholars is the best place in the region/louth , they even have an olympic Chef working there.

(although i have heard of people complain about some random issues, to be honest these people must be completely mental, its just top top notch!)

http://www.scholarshotel.com/restaurant.htm

finally the other place I have a warm place in my heart for is the Triple House, Pat Fox is an excellent chef and his 4 course meal for 20euro is just pure quality... although it can feel a little nippy inside in the winter. but its still good enough for the Rolling Stones to eat in!

Went for a meal there last night (Sat) . Have to say the food was excellent. Nice atmosphere. Piano filled the room with lovely music as we dined. It's expensive but worth it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

Dingatron wrote: »

Olio & Farina
    Where is it so I can avoid it?

Olio & Farina is on South Quay, across from "Socks" Byrne's boxing statue, and close to the best "comfort food" eatery in town....Eddie Rockets !! :D

Friends went into O&F to purchase some food items, asked for advice and were far from impressed by the attitude of the staff - walked out without purchasing, and will never darken the doors again.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Olio & Farina- Bad atmosphere, poor service. The two franchise owners (I'm guessing) look as though they have had surgery to remove the capacity to smile. They are just rude, especially the Roy Cropper lookalike.
    I couldn't enjoy my order due to the bad atmosphere and sense that I was being watched. I'm not surprised it has the poor reputation it has. Unfriendliest cafe in town. In stark contrast to the SaltHouse!

You couldn't have put it better. Those guys look down on you like your not worthy of entering their establishment. I was stuck for some Pecorino and Olive Oil. I would rather take bus into Dublin and buy from Fallon and Byrne than return to O&F

Borzalino's for me.
    Scholar's is to fussy
    D Hotel is pretty good

Restaurants are a bit like marmite, you either like a place or hate it

Tipped into that newish spot, Romanza. As I had not booked I got lobbed into the back room where you are nudging for elbow space with the tables to your right and left. That said, I would go back and book a table in advance in the piano room. There is a good atmosphere and decent service. The food was excellent, if a little measly for what you pay for it.

I would give this place a thumbs up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Up at Harry's Grill (The Fisherman's Wharf for all you blow in's ;) ) on Saturday. Nice décor with plenty of space and not too open plan. Good atmosphere and very attentive and friendly service. Small enough wine list but good none the less and even though they were out of Shiraz I got a nice bottle of Malbec. Main course was a bit slow but the wine eased my pain. The bill was also very reasonable and all in all not a bad night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Happened to be in Drogheda on Sat night, and after reading this thread, tried out The Boiled Onion.

The place itself really does need a refurb...especially the carpet.

Having said that, the food was lovely (had the beef medallions). The service was very friendly and efficient. It was jam-packed too...always a good sign!

Boiled Onion:
    Agree with you about the need for a refurb. Beef medallions there are quality indeed!

Sizzles:

Tried out this American-style eatery at the weekend. A little pricey, especially the drinks, fairly bog-standard otherwise. One thing I always hate to see is a supervisor/manager shouting at foreign staff like they are idiots. Embarrassing for all concerned. Who wants to see staff near tears when you're waiting for a lovely big juicy burger?! Were I to return, it would be to see how many waitresses I could see near tears rather than any culinary curiosity!!! Thumbs down darnit!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fashinmad

[Hi its my daughters birthday next week and her favourite food is Chicken Korma with nice rice.. I was gonna book the new Indian in Trinty Street but they have had a flood on their premises and will be closed for a few weeks. So, can anyone please tell me where to treat my daughter for her birthday to the nicest Korma?:rolleyes:

fashinmad, I don't have restaurant recommendation for you, but Chicken Korma is my favorite Indian dish as well, and I usually make it at home myself (cheaper too, which is good...). I use Lloyd Grossman Korma sauce (see them in Dunnes usually, more recently in Lidl too) - stir fry chicken breast cubes for a few minutes till they are sealed all around, throw in a half-inch piece of ginger finely chopped, a few spring onions chopped, and one or two large mild red chillis for flavour, and let it stir fry for another minutes and then throw in a jar of Lloyd Grossman curry sause - enjoy with equal amount of rice!

Vegetarians can replace chicken with Tofu (Dunnes does nice tofu, cut it into even smaller cubes, and leave it to fry a little longer in slow heat - till the cubes are golden brown all over). To make the curry more substantial, you can also throw in a small can of chickpeas.

I would usually make it at home myself too but since its her birthday I think a restaurant would be a nicer treat! But thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

What about Indus? I haven't heard a bad thing about it yet!!

Beside Staffords in bryanstown.

yeah I have seen ads in the local paper for it might give it a whirl! Since im new to this site, can you answer me this.. Under the icon for adverts.ie there are personals.. I cant seem to access this, is says i dont have access to this page.. any idea why?

Quality wrote: »
    What about Indus? I haven't heard a bad thing about it yet!!

Beside Staffords in bryanstown.

Try post #2 of this thread! :D

But that's just my own opinion, it might have improved since...!

positron wrote: »
    Try post #2 of this thread! :D

But that's just my own opinion, it might have improved since...!

Well I am getting take away from there tonight... First time trying it!!!

Will let you know what i think in the morning... Unless it kick starts the labour...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I got a take out from Indus shortly after it opened and I thought it was top notch. Not as hot as it should have been but still very tasty. Actually, what would be the hottest Indian in Drogheda? I suppose you can ask them to make it hotter if you want yourself, but I have to say I always find the Punjabi House on the Dublin Road to be the hottest.

One thing Drogheda should have though is a good seafood restaurant. Awful shame there isn't one, especially with there being such a strong fishing tradition in the local area.

Also I have to mention the chicken curry in the Golden Bowl chinese take away in Hardmans Gardens. Best and tastiest curry ever. Has to be gotten with chips. Its so damn tasty, especially after a few pints!

Indus take away...

We got a jalfrezzi and a vindaloo.. Found the vindaloo very hot!!! Fairly uncomfortable eating eat... (we shared..

Jalfrezzi was delish... Naan Bread was really good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 avicbebaldemelt

went to romanza dyer st drogheda on saturday night.
    easily the worst meal of the year. we were placed in the left room looking into the kitchen on crappy mis matching wooden tables.
    six of us there four had prawns to start which were probably frozen and drowned in oil, garlic and not at all like you get on holidays!
    four had pizza which we all left behind undercooked and tatseless-pizza how do you get that wrong!long live the pizzeria.cold foreign staff(one nice donegal lass)def a place for women and inexpensive but won`t be back.

Advertisement