Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

positron wrote: »
    zac8, really? Sorry to hear that and apologies!

I am like a big rice eater (err big as in huge.. doh... I mean, not my physical size although that's not too far off either but, I am referring to frequency here!) so I would like to think that I know good rice from bad rice and I thought their rice boxes were okay based on the two times I ordered rice boxes from them. What box did you get, just out of curiosity. Thanks!

No need to apologise at all! I got the Roasted Rice Box with pork. The rice itself was probably cooked ok but I didn't like how it was all put together. The meat though was pretty bad. My wife had a noodle dish which was better but I wouldn't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

zac8 wrote: »
    No need to apologise at all! I got the Roasted Rice Box with pork. The rice itself was probably cooked ok but I didn't like how it was all put together. The meat though was pretty bad. My wife had a noodle dish which was better but I wouldn't go back.

I always find whatever chinese takeaway I purchase from - Pork is always the poor relation in the meat options - it's usually dry (unless soaked in a sauce) and too chewy for my liking. I love the flavour but the chewyness usually makes me opt for a either a chicken or a prawn dish.

*I have tried the noodle box and quite like it! Favourite dishes are the combo noodle box in oyster sauce or the sweet & sour rice box. Only downside is there isn't a huge variety on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I always find whatever chinese takeaway I purchase from - Pork is always the poor relation in the meat options - it's usually dry (unless soaked in a sauce) and too chewy for my liking.

funnily enough a few nights ago i tried out a new place (new to me) down termon abbey, Hot Woks for the second time.

On my first try i got a reliable sweet and sour chicken. Lovely.
    Satay skewers also were fantastic.
    But a few nights ago i ventured away from my comfort zone and went with something different on the menu that i havent seen on other local chinese menus;
    BBQ sauce with chicken breast, roast pork and beansprouts.

The sauce was nice, nothing out of the ordinary. But the pork was cooked brilliantly, soft and very very tender. It was really nice and unexpected and i was glad i tried it out.
    I'll get the sweet and sour pork next time and see how it fairs then.
    But from that experience if your in the mood for pork definitely try Hot Woks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Where is The Kitchen restaurant that people have been talking about? So many places opening in the town recently it's hard to keep track!

Tried the tasting box from Rupee which I posted about last week. Very impressed with it. The portions are spot on for 2 people to give different meals a try. Very nice food.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Where is The Kitchen restaurant that people have been talking about? So many places opening in the town recently it's hard to keep track!

Here it is:
    http://g.co/maps/u3aqp :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

markc1184 wrote: »

Tried the tasting box from Rupee which I posted about last week. Very impressed with it. The portions are spot on for 2 people to give different meals a try. Very nice food.

two doors down from Eddie Rockets!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sooki

muckyprawn wrote: »
    I checked out Harpers on the key on friday...first impressions weren't too good to be honest. Waiting staff seem extremely inexperienced and forgetful...food was good, but it wasn't exactly what was stated on the menu. Overall I would like to see it do well but they need more efficient waiting staff....I know it was only open, but first impressions last.

Tried it today for the first time.. you are dead right! Inexperienced staff, forgetful, and food received not as it read on the menu! Rather not rant on in detail, but not worth a second visit, not even for a mid afternoon cuppa! Pitty, love the interior.. !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Went to the new coffee place on west street. Cannot think of the name of it in the old First Active premises. Very nice interior.
    Was just having a quick coffee with a work colleague.
    Very nice coffee although it was cold and had to send it back.
    Tea came in a pot with enough for 2. Had a scone between us which was nearly enough to fill as it was huge and very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

So we tried The Rendezvous on Sunday night and it was...ok, just ok. The staff were very nice. The guy who owns it kept coming over and asking if everything was ok. The portions were a bit skimpy though and not really reflective of what was on the menu. The OH had a prawn cocktail to start which he said had about four prawns in it. I had Chicken Supreme which the menu said came on a bed of mash - if there was mash there, I couldn't find it. They had also run out of a lot of their desserts which was a pity.

That said though, the food was quite tasty. We will consider going back.

Went to Harpers today for breakfast. Wish I hadn't. Previous reviews correct. Inexperienced staff. Food not as stated. I had scrambled eggs with crispy bacon and home made bread. What came out was a tiny portion of scrambled egg one piece of not crispy bacon and white sliced pan toasted. I said I thought it was home made bread and she came back with two slices of bread that looked as if someone had hacked it off a loaf with a butter knife and it was so doughy it was nearly wet. Had to wait ages for it. 2euro for a tiny bottle of coke and nearly 3euro for a latte. Not great to be honest. Pity the interior is very pretty. My daughters got a panini which was nice and a breakfast which was a bit greasy. It came with coffee but she asked for coke and they still charged the full price for the breakfast.
    Wont be going back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I went into harpers yesterday. Again, all previous comments are corect, the place looks fab, but the food is nothing like its stated, first of all we were informed they had bearly anything left from the menu, for 3PM thats pretty poor, fail to prepare and prepare to fail.

I ordered the bruschetta, what i got was half attempt at a tossed salad with half cooked chiabatta bread. Nothing like bruschetta. Sent it back and left.

The girlfriend and her sister went in on wednesday morning, pretty much as soon as it opened.
    I joked and said "Where did you go after it?" expecting her to give me a negative comment the same as everyone else so far.

But no, she actually said it was nice. And shes VERY picky about food.
    She said everything was fresh enough, maybe as it was only open.
    She had scrambled eggs on toast and bacon and her sis got a small breakfast.
    The only negative she had was that the breakfast was indeed small. But was expected for the price.

I'm going to go down early enough next week before i go looking through the sales and report back my findings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Popped into d'Vine yesterday for a voucher - first time in there was really impressed by how they have the place looking...really nice ambience - was thinking I really wanted the voucher instead!

Last place I ate out in was the Pizzeria - amazing pizza, heard the steaks are even more amazing so that's definitely what I'm going to have next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

went to Harpers today. A great outing. Fantastic location and interior to the highest standard. Great place to watch the world go by. nice vibe inside.

ordered the chicken curry and it was really good. was even offered half and half which was nice. staff attentive and nice. wife had an apple desert which was lovely (I helpd a bit!)

hope this place does well. the location suits cafe venue perfectly.

Went passed Harpers on new years eve and there was a queue to get in:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Went to Antica Toscana for the first time. I got the pasta which had sausage in it. It was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 delicious 2012

testing

Rendezvous, Drogheda Mell- (Formerly Harry's)

Tasty food, good value, v. friendly customer service and made to feel v. welcome, v. accomodating too. It has been open about three weeks now, want to commend restaurant and staff. Do not let other restaurants that were in this venue deter you as this is new, with both decor and of course food.
    Hope this restaurant will grow as it is nice place to dine and a committed staff from what I saw in progressing and developing. Still in the growth stages but if this is the start I look forward to what is to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Tasty food, good value, v. friendly customer service and made to feel v. welcome, v. accomodating too. It has been open about three weeks now, want to commend restaurant and staff. Do not let other restaurants that were in this venue deter you as this is new, with both decor and of course food.
    Hope this restaurant will grow as it is nice place to dine and a committed staff from what I saw in progressing and developing. Still in the growth stages but if this is the start I look forward to what is to come!

So how is business doing these days for you?

d40bf99a-7a31-47ad-9960-6554d4d6ce04.jpg

interesting how you didn't mention what you had or the price.
    Hmmmm...

• Advertisement

I am dsiappointed to think that you think I have any association with this restaurant or any restaurant. This is my first time contributing to the forum as I only stumbled across it and as I eat in a lot of different places in town decided that I would become a member.

This is my review of the restaurant and it is what I write. I can assure you and any of the contributors to this forum that I am a genuine member of the public. I can see that probably for my first contribution to be praiseworthy could raise suspicions.

Once again my review stands as written. I can tell you I am far from the food business too, and it is aservice i wouldn't envy anyone to be in these days.

Many thanks, for reading my thread and to Dark Saga, I hope that this is an adequate response to your reply to my thread and if not there is no more I can say.
    However I do intend in continuing to use this forum as it is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

I'm with the suspicious Dog.

Where else would you recommend in Drogheda, Delicious?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Went to the Eastern Seaboard for my Bday recently..was really looking forward to a night out and somewhere new...anyways the food was burnt , cant excuse that and the noise level meant small talk was nigh on impossible...its all hype that spot.

Love to know if theres any decent indian houses in town or nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

I am dsiappointed to think that you think I have any association with this restaurant or any restaurant. This is my first time contributing to the forum as I only stumbled across it and as I eat in a lot of different places in town decided that I would become a member.

This is my review of the restaurant and it is what I write. I can assure you and any of the contributors to this forum that I am a genuine member of the public. I can see that probably for my first contribution to be praiseworthy could raise suspicions.

Once again my review stands as written. I can tell you I am far from the food business too, and it is aservice i wouldn't envy anyone to be in these days.

Many thanks, for reading my thread and to Dark Saga, I hope that this is an adequate response to your reply to my thread and if not there is no more I can say.
    However I do intend in continuing to use this forum as it is good.

Why did you call it Rendezvous? Naff name for a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

bastados wrote: »
    Love to know if theres any decent indian houses in town or nearby.

Went to Rupee recently bastados, and I have to say it was class. Portions with the mains were a bit on the scabby side, but very tasty stuff. I had the Chettinad dish - highly recommended.

I'm live-posting direct from harpers right now and so far my experience hasn't been overly positive.

When we walked in there seemed to be no seats available, we figured to wait by the door until someone left. Staff kept looking at us as they walked about. We seen a guy getting up to go and walked towards where he had been sitting. There was a seat beside him free!
    Could have been nice of the staff to let us know instead of having us standing looking like gombeens.

So we get sitting down. Woman comes over and hands us the menu.
    When I asked "does the curry have smooth straight curry or with thick with bits, she replied with a bewildered look and said "sort of, yes."

I'll update when I get my food.
    I ordered a lasagne. Its called the speciality lasagne. If your gonna call something speciality it better be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

CMpunked wrote: »
    I'm live-posting direct from...

Now that's a first for this thread and possibly boards! A live-cast of a night out in town. Are you taking requests? :D

Lasagne is nearly as flat as a pancake.
    Oh and cold. Not stone cold, but has that quick reheat taste, I'm a slow eater and the heat just disappeared out of it.
    I tried to get the attention of the girl going around, but maybe if she didn't state at the floor she could see me waving!

• Advertisement

Brought the lasagne up seeing as no one was coming near us.
    The manager came down to me and apologised loads. Told me she was very sorry and was making me a fresh one.

Just got it and I will give it it's due, it is tasty.
    The honey ham panini that my other half got is very nice too. :)

Worth a tenner? Not a chance.
    But still, the small bites seem like good value.

Advertisement