Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

positron wrote: »
    CMpunked wrote: »
    I'm live-posting direct from...

Now that's a first for this thread and possibly boards! A live-cast of a night out in town. Are you taking requests? :D

We need a video stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Just finished in harpers and felt content and sat sideways on the seat in one of the cubby holes. I had the blind waitress who couldn't see my arms flailing at her and tell me to take my feet down like I was a child.
    Fair enough, inform me not to do that but don't degrade me at the same time.

The staff of this place really let it down.
    As I said, the paninni was nice but for the price you can get much better food at the same caliber for the same price or even cheaper from te likes of jaffas and bia.

To conclude, I will not be back. The food is fine but below standard for the asking price. The staff (with the exception of the manager) reflect the food, grand for what they are.
    Oh and also, the tap water tasted like dishwater. I know for drogheda that's expected, but for the love of god they should invest in a britta filter or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

I am dsiappointed to think that you think I have any association with this restaurant or any restaurant. This is my first time contributing to the forum as I only stumbled across it and as I eat in a lot of different places in town decided that I would become a member.
    This is my review of the restaurant and it is what I write. I can assure you and any of the contributors to this forum that I am a genuine member of the public. I can see that probably for my first contribution to be praiseworthy could raise suspicions.
    Once again my review stands as written. I can tell you I am far from the food business too, and it is aservice i wouldn't envy anyone to be in these days.
    Many thanks, for reading my thread and to Dark Saga, I hope that this is an adequate response to your reply to my thread and if not there is no more I can say.
    However I do intend in continuing to use this forum as it is good.

So what did you have to eat?

CPL 593H

bastados wrote: »
    .....Love to know if theres any decent indian houses in town or nearby.

Punjabi House on the Dublin Rd (beside the Railway Arms/Esso Garage)
    Really like that place.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Live stream eh?..never realized this thread was so exciting...you guys need a raise :D

• Advertisement

bastados wrote: »
    Live stream eh?..never realized this thread was so exciting...you guys need a raise :D

The coke and hookers are more than enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Zell

I ate in Harpers today also and was disappointed. Decor is lovely, seats comfortable but food is only ok. I had winter salad, which was really cajun chicken with salad, friend had chowder and was rated it very poor, too much cornflour and not enough cream. Wouldn't bother going back especially as we waited more than 10 mins for a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am dsiappointed to think that you think I have any association with this restaurant or any restaurant. This is my first time contributing to the forum as I only stumbled across it and as I eat in a lot of different places in town decided that I would become a member.

This is my review of the restaurant and it is what I write. I can assure you and any of the contributors to this forum that I am a genuine member of the public. I can see that probably for my first contribution to be praiseworthy could raise suspicions.

Once again my review stands as written. I can tell you I am far from the food business too, and it is aservice i wouldn't envy anyone to be in these days.

Many thanks, for reading my thread and to Dark Saga, I hope that this is an adequate response to your reply to my thread and if not there is no more I can say.
    However I do intend in continuing to use this forum as it is good.

time for cat pictures...

7638f91c-28ed-4f4c-830c-0ac838abf499.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Zell wrote: »
    I ate in Harpers today also and was disappointed.

Where abouts is Harpers?

kbell wrote: »
    Where abouts is Harpers?

On the corner across from Wogans.
    Used to be the wise owl and then a mens clothes shop-come-disco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Ah right.. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I stand by my first 2 visits to harpers. It's terrible. Food is nasty to put it nicely.
    Staff are useless. And the fact I've heard from so many people that they have complained, it's still the same, makes you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Where would people recommend in Drogheda for a nice fancy but affordable evening meal? (around €80 for two not including drinks) Somewhere I can get a nice steak! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Went to Antica Toscana for the first time. I got the pasta which had sausage in it. It was lovely.

Went here too over Xmas for the first time and really enjoyed it. Real yummy food and great staff I must add.

Tried the sausage from someone elses plate and it was gorgeous. We've cut down hugely on eating out but will def return sometime to Antica Toscana in the coming months.

I had bruschetta to start and risotto for mains (surprisingly a plentiful amount). Both were delicious. Unaware of cost as I was part of a large contingent.

Thumbs up from me though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

draffodx wrote: »
    Where would people recommend in Drogheda for a nice fancy but affordable evening meal? (around €80 for two not including drinks) Somewhere I can get a nice steak! :D

Eastern seaboard do a nice steak. About 20 ish quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

X2 on the Eastern Seaboard. Very nice steak IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

donegans are doing the 4 course meal for €25 with steak included, was there the other evening and was lovely, get your potatoes, mushrooms and onions with your steak... lovely meal.. kids meals are a little pricey though and ds chips where reheats ( very hard and crispy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

There's also steak on the menu at the d Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

whelan1 wrote: »
    donegans are doing the 4 course meal for €25 with steak included, was there the other evening and was lovely, get your potatoes, mushrooms and onions with your steak... lovely meal.. kids meals are a little pricey though and ds chips where reheats ( very hard and crispy)

Been there a lot so would like to try something different, somewhere thats more couple orientated rather than family and kids orientated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

+1 for the Eastern Seaboard. Really good food for the money though a little crowded at times.

Love my steak and heard great things about Donnigans when I moved to Drogheda. Tried it once and never again! The Mrs's steak was rear after asking for well done. Sent it back and it was returned 5 mins later still rear but this time with the pepper sauce grilled in. Refused to pay for it and told them I won't be returning. This was after waiting an hour for a table we had booked!

• Advertisement

Bru do a deadly steak too. Really really succulent.
    Had a Eastern Seaboard one a few weeks ago and it was nice, but brus was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gordon hatch

The Quays restaurant on Wellington Quay (Just up from Bru towards Garda station direction) do steak on a stone (a bit gimmicky I know but hey!) BTW I have never tried it so won't comment on the taste.
    I have had steak in a lot of local restaurants and have to say I have had massive differences in presentation, taste, and PRICE! To be honest that's why I don't really buy steak when Im out anymore because the prices is not justified.
    Can't beat Irish Beef but rather cook it at home myself.

I think The Quays is closed and for sale?

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I think The Quays is closed and for sale?

Oops I forgot it closed just before Christmas unfortunately.

The Eastern Seaboard is really good I think. I always get the Butcher's Board (cheese and meat selection) and usually the Ribs for mains, although the lemon herb chicken is good too and a Full breast of chicken (2 fillets!) - Fish is good also I have never heard a complaint about the food in fact the only complaint I have ever heard is that it's hard to get a table! Wine list is good also, they have a lovely Spanish Red (Jumilla) which I love.

Bull is also V good and they just recently made some additions to their menu. The classics are still there but some new things also - one of note that I had was the Gnocchi with creamed smoked bacon sauce on a bed of Rocket, Have to say it is V tasty.
    When I think about Restaurants I automatically remember the best food I've had from these establishments - if ppl always remember the bad things then they probably shouldn't go out to dine because they will always find fault.

#hungryafterallthattalkaboutfood!!

CMpunked wrote: »
    Just finished in harpers and felt content and sat sideways on the seat in one of the cubby holes. I had the blind waitress who couldn't see my arms flailing at her and tell me to take my feet down like I was a child.
    Fair enough, inform me not to do that but don't degrade me at the same time.

The staff of this place really let it down.
    As I said, the paninni was nice but for the price you can get much better food at the same caliber for the same price or even cheaper from te likes of jaffas and bia.

To conclude, I will not be back. The food is fine but below standard for the asking price. The staff (with the exception of the manager) reflect the food, grand for what they are.
    Oh and also, the tap water tasted like dishwater. I know for drogheda that's expected, but for the love of god they should invest in a britta filter or something.

I haven't been so won't comment on the food, prices etc... One thing I will say though is that you have to give an establishment a chance - CM did you talk to the manager about the points you highlighted? WE have to give an eatery some kind of lead in time - sure I agree that service in most places could be improved somewhat but it will only improve when patrons make their feelings known. We all live in a world of instant gratification but give it time.
    Another thing is that we (Drogheda people) and business owners are not used to seeing online reviews of their businesses -Hell I didn't know this thread was as long as it was, in fact I was very surprised that it is this long! So maybe ppl should tell the owners that their establishment is being reviewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I agree Eastern Seaboard is lovely for food, but hard to get a booking at short notice and if you get an early sitting you're usually surrounded by kids. Fine for some but drives me crazy.:o

I like D'Vine, their rib eye steak is lovely, and a more intimate atmosphere than Eastern Seaboard. They do a 3 course menu for (I think) €22.95 and the steak is on it with a small supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreenLady

If you are looking for something fancy its odds on you have time to book - there really isn't anywhere else in the town for the quality of cooking at Eastern Seaboard. Food for five last night for a birthday - four shared starters, five mains, four shared desserts, bottle of wine, bottle of fizzy water, two coffees bang on 200. We'd left it late to book so had to leave by nine but no one made us feel pressured. Sooner or later Michelin are going to find out about it and then you'll need to book a year in advance instead of a couple of weeks if you want a weekend table. Chefs are heading out of Dublin to eat there these days

Went to D'Vine over Christmas and was really impressed. Food was lovely that the Tartifilette and was very impressed nice as anything had in France. Been a couple of times to Eastern Seaboard and dont see the fuss to be honest. Overcrowded and poor service when I was there. The likes of the Salthouse have better food on offer but dont seem to be as popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hard to go past the Eastern Seaboard - In fact, I'd travel from Dublin to go there. Love the interior decor and the food is creative with lots of fish specials. The owners are lovely, friendly people.

The Eastern Seaboard is not a standard type restaurant, like a lot of venues in Drogheda (you know the kind, curry & lasagne on their menu). It is trying to be more creative, and that's probably why some posters would rather go elsewhere.

It's been getting great press lately, and it's popularity is going to soar soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I'm not pushed on Eastern Seaboard either. It's not the food, it's nice, it's more the atmosphere and the surroundings. I really don't like the decor, the ceiling with all the piping going across annoys the hell out of me, I feel like I'm walking into a factory. It's not a place that I'd go on a romantic date.

Advertisement