Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Will try Watters in Collon next time but had been to the Glenside by the time I saw your reply.

The Glenside do a fine carvery and great value at €30 for two adult meals and one kids meal. Portions were generous and I had nice braised lamb shanks while my missus had some lovely turkey and ham. The kids goujons were a bit of a let down, cheap frozen ones. Wouldn take much effort for the chef to whip up some fresh goujons !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I heard it being said the snail box is good for a carvery?
    I don't even know where it is though..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

CMpunked wrote: »
    I heard it being said the snail box is good for a carvery?
    I don't even know where it is though..
    It's just off the crossroads there at Kilmoon. About 10mins passed Duleek heading towards Ashbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

whelan1 wrote: »
    watters in collon have a really nice carvery, the beef is the best ever

had lunch there last thursday and yes it was very nice , good portions but thought it was a little on the pricey side at €10.95 ?
    Very quiet also, 2 other tables occupied

blingrhino wrote: »
    had lunch there last thursday and yes it was very nice , good portions but thought it was a little on the pricey side at €10.95 ?

Depends on what you had for €10.95 !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

the beef is fantastic....... your plate would be loaded up though. yup can be quiet at times

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

watters in collon have a really nice carvery, the beef is the best ever

I used to go to Watters a lot for Sunday dinner around a year or so ago... more for handiness sake to be honest.
    Carvery food was never that special but was grand none the less.
    Then one Sunday I met the owner @ the till. He totted up my dinner cost on the till and as he was doing it I threw in a can of coke saying "can I take for this as well...", he let's out this big sigh, right in my face!!
    pure ignorant... needless to say that was my last visit to Watters.

Sola Bia @ Beauparc, Slane for the Sunday dinner folks... €14.95 for a 2 course (starters+main or main+dessert)
    Food is delish, portion sizes have been improved, staff are sound... it's all good!

kormak wrote: »
    Sola Bia @ Beauparc, Slane for the Sunday dinner folks... €14.95 for a 2 course (starters+main or main+dessert)
    Food is delish, portion sizes have been improved, staff are sound... it's all good!
    last few times we where there service was sooooo slow and with kids we said we would never go back, food is good though

kormak wrote: »
    I used to go to Watters a lot for Sunday dinner around a year or so ago... more for handiness sake to be honest.
    Carvery food was never that special but was grand none the less.
    Then one Sunday I met the owner @ the till. He totted up my dinner cost on the till and as he was doing it I threw in a can of coke saying "can I take for this as well...", he let's out this big sigh, right in my face!!
    pure ignorant... needless to say that was my last visit to Watters.
    agree, he is not the best people person, normally we wouldnt deal with him but his sister is there who's sound out and theres a lovely woman in on a friday evening and on sundays that is very good

• Advertisement

last few times we where there service was sooooo slow and with kids we said we would never go back, food is good though

it was very very slow a while back, but they're deffo on the ball these days... must 'ave been the comment cards they left out for customers!!

last time we where there , we ordered, i had time to go over to the brink get a load of meat from the butchers, put it in car and go back in to restaraunt and no food was out, had said to waitress to give kids their food first , now no one had ordered steaks or anything it was a total disaster:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

where is" sola bia" -slane or beauparc in navan?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Tried Monasterboice Inn for the breakfast at the weekend. Very impressed- big portions, fresh and not overly greasy. 8.65 for the full Irish, toast, coffee/tea. Service was prompt. Other things on the menu too like granola, scrambled eggs, chips & egg. Will defo try it out again for breakfast.

where is" sola bia" -slane or beauparc in navan?

Beauparc (Rathdrinagh to be precise), Slane.

tweety76 wrote: »
    Tried Monasterboice Inn for the breakfast at the weekend. Very impressed- big portions, fresh and not overly greasy. 8.65 for the full Irish, toast, coffee/tea. Service was prompt. Other things on the menu too like granola, scrambled eggs, chips & egg. Will defo try it out again for breakfast.
    also do an omelette, which is yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I was at redz all you can eat table service buffet friday night for the mothers birthday, there were 5 of us. We got a table booked easily enough for a friday night. (Tower bar and grill was booked up. ;))

The menu is a typical chinese menu that you have seen in every take away, nothing new there. Ive been a fan of tango for a while, we try to get there once every few months, if only just to pig out. So I found myself comparing it to tango's. The price was the first difference, €16.95 per person. Tango is €21 per person on weekdays, and it goes up on weekends.

The service was pretty poor. We were early so we decided to have a drink at the bar, only there were no bar staff to be seen. We didnt get a drink till we were seated. Drinks came after a bit of a wait, they didnt bring everything out together, 2 drinks, then 2 more, finally after a short wait, my pint of water was brought to me.

The wait to have our order taken was unreal, we seen all the staff running around, like proper running, ive worked in bars and restaurants, running around the place is a big no no, and made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Eventually we caught the attention of one of the sprinters who said he would be with us in a minute, I felt like we were inconveniencing him by asking for his attention. He took our order, then began the longest wait for food ive ever sat through, about half an hour later soup and starters were handed out. Once we were done with that we wanted to do the typical all you can eat thing and order a heap of food for the table, (If you have been to tango, they encourage you to oder lots so they are not running back and forth to the kitchen) the waiter was a bit bemused by us ordering lots, comments like "Oh you want chicken wings too? but he is ordering some." and ordering more than one item per person was a bit baffling to them. I got the feeling they were trying to save money by not giving out massive amounts of food.

Another long wait. We got most of the food, they had forgotten some things we had ordered. (we didnt order loads, 3 portions each) portions were also tiny! In comparison with tango who give a nice amount.

eventually the kitchen closed, just in time for us to have a main course.

In the end, the food is nice, some things were a bit cold. Service lets it down big time. Long wait times, forgotten orders and staff sprinting around didnt make me feel at ease.

viva la tango. Ill pay the extra for friendly service and nicer food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭positron

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    We were early so we decided to have a drink at the bar
    eventually the kitchen closed, just in time for us to have a main course.

Now that's pretty slow alright! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

The Rendevous in Mell (Harry's/Fisherman's Wharf) has closed. Presume it's up for sale again? This seems to be a difficult place to make work, by all accounts the French chap that was running it was very nice and the food was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Kaylee wrote: »
    The Rendevous in Mell (Harry's/Fisherman's Wharf) has closed. Presume it's up for sale again? This seems to be a difficult place to make work, by all accounts the French chap that was running it was very nice and the food was pretty good.

They have it advertisedin this weeks drogheda indo that it's reopening on 11th October as the Fishermans again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Kaylee wrote: »

Ah no! That french dude had a brilliant thing going.
    He's still barman up at the ESB so i suppose he isnt completely up shít creek, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭furiousox

Has anyone tried the new restaurant up in Millmount yet?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

PinkFly wrote: »
    They have it advertisedin this weeks drogheda indo that it's reopening on 11th October as the Fishermans again!!

Holy moly! How many times has this place changed hands now? Good luck to the new owners, it's a place I would like to see working out for someone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Tried this place last week, really enjoyed it. We had nachos which were lovely, but not overly generous on the sauces and cheese which was a shame, and I think makes a nacho dish but they were still yum if a bit dry at the end.
    Mains were a burger and a pasta dish, both really tasty and perfect portions. Chips were lovely. Dessert and teas- again delicious. Prices reasonable and staff lovely and friendly and attentive. We will definitely be back for more.

The place has been done up brilliantly though, it's so good to see millmount looking so nice and the views are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

Went to Tango's two weeks ago to celebrate daughters junior certs results, have been there many times and always a fan but they seem to be slipping lately.

Booked for 8 people, table set for 7 when we were seated, no problem squeezed in extra chair and plate etc, took orders, 6 of us went for all you can eat option while 2 ordered from al a carte menu which seemed to confuse the waitress.

Starters took an hour to arrive & when they did half the orders were missing, we asked to speak to Manager and he apologised saying that the computer went down, still in that hour no member of staff came near us to inform there would be a delay.

There was a table nearby who seemed to be on very friendly terms with manager & they seemed to monopolise the service, they arrived after us but were served their food before us.

Ordered Mains which this time came quite fast but again many of the dishes never appeared, I got the impression they were trying to save on costs by not bringing out extra portions & hoping people wouldn't ask for them again.

To be fair to the manager he offered us a drink on the house but will certainly look at other options in the town for all u can eat from now on especially as at €28.00 per head there are cheaper options

I hate doing this because I'm sure the staff are doing their best etc but dont ever go to eat in the Gateway Restaraunt which is down a lane off West Street.

I made the mistake of doing so today and I'm just disgusted with myself for not going to Bizou where I had intended on going.

Just had scampi and chips and my girlfriend had southern fried rubber no I mean southern fried chicken and chips. I wont go into too much detail of how horrible the food was but will just say that cooking food so that it is palatable and tastes nice is relatively easy and to f*ck it up and make it taste sh*t is alot harder to do.

I cant stop thinking of all of the lovely things I could have got for my €15.70 for example a take away from Rupee later. If I had to rate this place in terms of stars 1-5 I honestly wouldn't give them any.

When we were leaving the girl said ' Thanks and see you again' and I was just thinking ye you might bump into me in the bank or post office or on the street but you certainly wont see me in here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭furiousox

Why not mention it to the staff before you left and they mightn't have charged you for the chicken?
    Would also give them an opportunity to make sure it didn't happen again.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Been meaning to hit rupee for a take out, is it good or great or fair to middling?

my parents and my brother and his girlfriend went to the restaraunt in the valley inn last night, they hadnt been there in a while, my parents said it was the best meal they had had in years;) they are regular visitors to esb, scholars ,carlitos etc but said the meal last night was fantastic and service was brilliant..... my parents both had prawns on bruschetta for starter and both had duck in plum sauce for main, they where too full for dessert... my brother had medallions of beef and his girlfriend had lasagne , all really enjoyed it

• Advertisement

bastados wrote: »
    Been meaning to hit rupee for a take out, is it good or great or fair to middling?

Personally I would say great. I haven't had a better take away. It doesn't taste like take away food.

Their saag aloo is savage as is their veg pakora and chicken tikka masala. They do a lovely sstarter platter for too which is better if you have it all yourself !

Advertisement