Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I get the take away every weekend, still the best indian around as far as i'm concerned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

tweety76 wrote: »
    Tried Chanco's Sunday lunch in the town at the weekend.

Very nice, prompt service 12.50 euro for 3 courses( starter, mains, tea or coffee). Children's menu 6 euro( about 5/6 options) and free ice cream for kids. Prawn crackers galore.

Very good value, food was nice and fresh would recommend. Pity to see it so quiet, only 3 tables in use when we were there.

I may have been one of the 3! The nicest Asian take away/restaurant in town imo. I have never had a bad meal from that place. I got salt and pepper shredded chicken and a kung po for the main and it was gorgeous. The place always looks meticulously clean aswell and the staff are always carrying smiles.

It would be great to see it busier with great value deals like that although for most people I know a chinese is a Friday/Saturday night thing rather than a Sunday dinner.

Peony up above Eastern Seabord is an underrated Chinese take-away imo too, you get a lovely Szechuan sauce out of that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

I just saw this on facebook looks like the restaurant in Millmount is opening again, will check it out soon.

Salthouse's new sister restaurant opening night with drinks and finger food from 6.30 to 7.30. Live Music in Bar. Sample Drogheda's newest finer-dining restaurant. Lunch and evening service commencing Friday 23.11.2012. Taking bookings for xmas parties. Enquiries phone Justin 0863052535

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

was @ Eastern Seaboard for lunch over the wknd...
    Took over 60 minutes for the food to arrive on our tables. This is with kids! :(
    One of the orders was wrong which meant an even longer wait.
    Food was okay but pretty bland compared to previous trips there.
    Is the "best restaraunt in Drogheda" beginning to drop the ball a little?!
    at least the staff there were still all sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Is Drogheda getting a new pub on Dyer St? I think I spied a sign over the hoarding at the weekend. Cagney's??? Looks like they have a fair sized beer garden out the back too (spying from the Haymarket Bridge!) I wonder will they be doing food... maybe some craft beers? Anyone have any info???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Apparently so! I heard it's Vincent Blacks new venture, hope it goes well even though opening a pub in these times seems crazy to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

PinkFly wrote: »
    Apparently so! I heard it's Vincent Blacks new venture, hope it goes well even though opening a pub in these times seems crazy to me!

Well best of luck to him, I'll certainly give him my business once, whether I go back again or not is up to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Apparently so! I heard it's Vincent Blacks new venture,

What was his past ventures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Most of the property's on dyer street!

I'd say it'll do ok there if its marketed right, cairns has been a great success!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Just drove past the new pub on dyer street. looks pretty cool!
    Any news on an opening date?

• Advertisement

I heard its tonight but not sure how reliable that is.

kbell wrote: »
    Most of the property's on dyer street!

I'd say it'll do ok there if its marketed right, cairns has been a great success!

2 ATM's in less than a 30 second walk! yes sir! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pk88

Whats the name???and where exactly is it going to be located???

Is it where the old Linen Hall used to be?

Just down a bit. FAS is where linen hall was. beside kenedy motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Cagneys it's called.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    2 ATM's in less than a 30 second walk! yes sir! :D

Theres nearly none to be found if scotch hall is closed. :(

CMpunked wrote: »
    Theres nearly none to be found if scotch hall is closed. :(

On Dyer Street there is two, the AIB bank and the back of town centre :confused:

On Dyer Street there is two, the AIB bank and the back of town centre :confused:

Sorry, i read that wrong, I thought he was referencing the atms near cairnes.

Do they serve food or is it just a pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Went to Harpers yesterday. Have been here a few times and always liked the decor.

It was only ok yesterday. Looked for a table for two and it was quiet enough. We were sat at the nice big sofa. We had lots of shopping bags so it was great to put them down. We had just ordered and were asked to move as a family came in with a buggy. I was a bit miffed, why even sit us there if they wanted it for families? So had to drag our bags up and move.

Got chicken curry with half Chips/rice. It was nice but they put the chips under the curry so it meant all the chips were covered in sauce and mushed. Didnt even taste like I had chips as they were covered in sauce. Friend had panini which was nice.

The milk for tea was empty on the table so had to ask for more (so did two other tables) and the salt was gone too.

It was only ok and quite expensive for what we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Bizou - 2 panini's, salad, chips , they seem to be quite consistent here, both of us enjoyed it
    scholars - first time here, food and service were good. we shared crab claws to start,then my oh ordered a pasta dish, fillet steak for myself, glass of wine and 2 beers - 90e , is that expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 realtinh

Has anyone been to Asian cook-in since it opened? It's the new king of kings/master chef replacement in the Boyne centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

I Was walking though the Abbey centre today and noticed that the Abbey cafe has closed up !
    It came as no surprise really as that place is always empty.

If you cant get a cafe make money, even with the free 6 months rent free period given by the local heroes last year ,what chance for other retailers to succeed there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

lamoss wrote: »
    If you cant get a cafe make money, even with the free 6 months rent free period given by the local heroes last year ,what chance for other retailers to succeed there ?
    None. It's no surprise. The whole Abbey Centre is a morgue, only a third of the units are occupied and it's on the wrong end of the main street. I popped in last week and the smell of rotting fish and meat coming from an 'ethnic' shop was dreadful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What happened with that "free" restaurant they ran the competition for? Was that the cafe which shut down?

Anyway, I've had three dining experiences in Drogheda over the last 10 days.

I've ranted and raved about Bizou before, and I still rank it as my favorite place in town. They've cut off some of the menu in the last few weeks, including getting rid of the Soup and Sandwich special, which is a shame. But the food is still brilliant, the service is great and I love the place.

Ate in The Black Bull today for the first time in a while. I still think the food is really good, if a bit bland sometimes in presentation (I had a Turkey and Ham today and it was arranged nicely on the plate, but hardly amazingly). There was also a weird inconsistancy in that both me and my bro got the T&H, but he got one slice of turkey while I got 4! I wasn't complaining, mind. Just gave him one of mine, but was weird. In terms of an old-fashioned, home cooked meal though, I still think it's great value and quality.

And finally I was in Mi Casa (Lawrence Shopping Center) the other day. Food was ok. I got a salad which, other than the fact a few pieces of lettuce were brown, was nice enough. Mom got the soup which was very plain in presentation but still tasty. The service wasn't great though; the man who took our order (the owner, I presume; he wasn't wearing a uniform or anything, and didn't fit the bill of "good looking young girl" that the other service folk did) seemed completely disinterested in our ordering. He slumped over to our table, looking round as if desperate for an excuse to get away from us, barely made eye contact or said a word to us and gave off an air of not being bothered.

I'll compare him to, going back to The Black Bull, the Egan brothers who run that place. Great, great guys and astute business men. Always greeting everyone, having a chat, being friendly and welcoming. Always give a big hello and goodbye to everyone there. (And gave us free vouchers today for three free main meals as an Xmas present :P). Likewise, the girls in Bizou are always welcoming and have smiles on their faces, and the owner (?) is always out on the floor if you want to talk to her.
    If you give off the air of not being pushed if we eat at your place or not, chances are we'll take the option to not next time.

None. It's no surprise. The whole Abbey Centre is a morgue, only a third of the units are occupied and it's on the wrong end of the main street. I popped in last week and the smell of rotting fish and meat coming from an 'ethnic' shop was dreadful.

I know the lads who had Café Kaya there some time back. Had huge potential but at the end of the day it's quite simply location, location , location!
    Abbey Shopping Centre is a wounded dinosaur from the 80s. It's high time some initiative was shown with the place or else it should be just levelled to the ground.

For catering services I would highly recommend Mi Casa
    Very reasonable prices and their Beef Stroganoff was delish to say the least.
    Handy to home events, Christenings, Communians, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

realtinh wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Asian cook-in since it opened? It's the new king of kings/master chef replacement in the Boyne centre.
    markc1184 wrote: »
    Masterchef has been closed about 2 months now. It is back open under the name Asian Cook-In. Food is a lot nicer than it was when it was Masterchef. The chefs and staff from the original King of Kings are back working in it now.

I have had a couple of sit in meals and take outs from it and I've been happy each time. If you liked King of Kings, you'll like Asian Cook In.

• Advertisement

With regards to the Abbey Cafe, I've been in it three different times, and, although the first time was a woefully bad experience (waiting about an hour for a small fry up, and other people that were there before us leaving after claiming to have been waiting over an hour), the fry itself was rather nice, I thought, and a decent bit on the plate, too.

Second time was just a flying visit, tea and toast. Was nice. Not a lot you can do with tea and toast but I couldn't find anything to complain about.

Third time was a fry again, and it was given to me in about 15 minutes. It was quite nice (though it was no Smithstown Special) but I enjoyed it.

As I said on here before, it'll take Burger King to get that centre moving again. Council should offer a space to Burger King with free rent for a year to get them in. At least then people would have an incentive to visit (though all the other places in there seem to be small businesses, so I'm sure they'd love the additional footfall provided by the likes of Burger King).

Only downside is that Burger King would obviously have to do some renovating, as none of the units seem suitable at the moment, with toilets in particular being an issue.

A week or so ago I went into McCloskey's with a friend for something to eat. I never knew they did food that wasn't buns. I was shocked when I seen chips and sandwiches and all sorts coming over the counter to people! I had a sandwich, the contents of which I can't quite remember, but it was lovely. From what I recall it was reasonably priced, too (though if I'm honest, I can't remember the specifics).

One thing I do remember though, was that it was around 1.30pm on a Wednesday, and the place was packed. "Will we have somewhere to sit" was a recurring thought as we got our food (though thankfully it seemed two or three people had left since we walked in) but it seemed a very real possibility that you could get some food and have nowhere to sit.

I think that alone makes me not want to visit again (for sitting in, that is, I still buy buns and such to take home).

Advertisement