Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Third time was a fry again, and it was given to me in about 15 minutes. It was quite nice (though it was no Smithstown Special) but I enjoyed it.

A week or so ago I went into McCloskey's with a friend for something to eat. I never knew they did food that wasn't buns. I was shocked when I seen chips and sandwiches and all sorts coming over the counter to people!

Out of interest, how much is the breakfast out in smithstown these days?

McCloskeys or the mooreland? If it was the mooreland I completely agree with everything you said, great prices and nice homely food but you'd need to go in always with someone else to nab a seat and hang onto it while you order.

Was in the gateway in the early afternoon today. The smell coming up was fabulous! Its never smelt so good before and the 6.95 turkey and ham dinner was appealing so two of us headed in.
    Seeing the price of the breakfast was cheaper we went with that instead as the turkey and ham being brought to other tables looked a little rushed.

Other half ordered a full brekkie and on the menu it has "egg", no specifics. So she asked for it to be scrambled. "Oh no, sorry, it can only be done how it says..." She looked towards the menu and said "yeah, fried." It didn't say fried at all, have a look next time you're down that way!
    Anyway, that was ok if anything, a little odd.

I ordered and went for the "Slimmers breakfast". With christmas coming up and the wave of fats and carbs coming maybe it would be better to go easy now.
    2 Grilled bacon, eggs, mushrooms, beans and a poached egg. I'm very partial to poached and the price was excellent, 5.95!

They brought out cold coffee for herself and luke warm tea for me and toast which went from grand slices to one side being pretty burnt. We couldnt help but notice that it was pretty cold too, not a bit of heat coming off the slices.

When we got our food they somehow had given me a fried egg...
    Dunno how, but the exchange was somewhat comical.

"Sorry, I thought I was getting a poached egg"
    Girl (different one from before): "Oh did you ask for it poached?"
    I instantly looked at my OH who was stunned speechless.
    "Em.. no.. its on the menu"
    "Oh yeah.. of course. Do you want me to get you one"
    "Yes.. please."
    As she lifts the plate she asked if I wanted it as well as the fried egg or instead.

I couldnt believe it, I had a giggle about it when she left because it was nearly too funny to be true.

Other than that the food was grand for the price, couldnt really fault it too much and will probably be back as it was tasty and hot, unlike the toast and tea, who i assume the waitresses make as they really dont seem to fussed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

always found the breakfast in the moorland very greasy. i now go to AIleens on stockwell street for a slimmers breakfast for 4.95

CMpunked wrote: »
    Out of interest, how much is the breakfast out in smithstown these days?

McCloskeys or the mooreland? If it was the mooreland I completely agree with everything you said, great prices and nice homely food but you'd need to go in always with someone else to nab a seat and hang onto it while you order.

I'm not entirely sure. It's less than €10.. €7-€8 I think? Something along those lines?

Sorry, the Mooreland, yeah. Do the other McCloskey's place do 'proper' food, too? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I thought you were on about the bakery up mell!

Although they do supply the mooreland.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I thought you were on about the bakery up mell!

Although they do supply the mooreland.

Forgot that was there, to be honest. Don't think it's still a bakery though, is it? Just a shop now (their bakery is out past Aston Village now, if I recall correctly?).

I thought the Mooreland were owned and operated by McCloskey's, to be honest... I take it that's not the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

tried donnegans for breakfast recently and was pleasantly surprised , lovely full irish with decent bacon and egg choice.
    quick,efficent and friendly service -€8.75 full irish i think.

Donnegan's... Is that the Thatch's proper name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Donnegans AKA Monasterboice Inn.

Got a great breakfast this morning in Bia Dunleer for 6 quid great value and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I thought the Mooreland were owned and operated by McCloskey's, to be honest... I take it that's not the case?

I think it might be - have heard The Moorland referred to as "McCloskeys" more than once.

KKV wrote: »

Forgot that was there, to be honest. Don't think it's still a bakery though, is it? Just a shop now (their bakery is out past Aston Village now, if I recall correctly?).

Yeah McCloskeys bakery and the Moreland are the same owners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Donnegan's... Is that the Thatch's proper name?

The Thatch is Domegan's. Seamus Domegan was the original owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Yogic

Just back from a late lunch / early dinner in the Black Bull , me looking particularly resplendent ( stupid ) in my reindeer Christmas jumper There was 3 of us , myself , the OH and a 14 year old who seems to have built up a talent through his long lifetime of inhaling food.
    We arrived about 4:15 and we were told that food had stopped until 5 as it was a busy lunch... No problem for me as a cold pint of Heineken ( or 2 ) is a perfect appetizer .
    The place was hopping and whilst the staff were run off their feet , there was plenty of them and the service was prompt and pleasant.
    None of this would normally cause me to post but when we sat and ordered it just got better and better .
    The 14 year old food destroying machine had the fish and chips , 2 huge chunks of perfectly battered fish with homecut chips , and minted mushy peas.
    The much better half had a Chicken Vol Au Vent . Dont quite get the point of vol au vents myself ( reminds me of the 80's when my mother thought they were cutting edge haute cuisine ) but she enjoyed them so apparently I am missing out .
    I had the Pan fried sea bass , with pureed spinach.... It was incredible , I mean its the nicest fish dish I have had in a long long time. Perfectly cooked , skin on and the spinach puree only accentuated the taste.
    With 2 desserts , a few bulmers light , 2 lucozades and ( ahem ) 2 or three Heineken the bill came in at under € 80 .
    A great meal , great value in a brilliant atmosphere .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

blingrhino wrote: »
    tried donnegans for breakfast recently and was pleasantly surprised , lovely full irish with decent bacon and egg choice.
    quick,efficent and friendly service -€8.75 full irish i think.

Thumbs up for this from me also, was in Donegans xmas eve lunchtime and went for the all day breakfast.
    Great feed it was, will be back again for the brekkie.
    3 of us in there, all left very full and satisfied after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Tried Simona's down by 'The Kitchen' and 'Bia' the other day. It was absolutely fantastic, we only had a coffee and a sandwich at late lunchtime but it was absolutely superb. Very reasonable prices, and nice portion sizes too. The menu looked nice - not too big or small, although a little odd they only offer pizza slices and not full size pizzas. Great atmosphere, it is actually run by a legitimate Italian staff. They also have an alcohol license, and thus serve beer and wine. Would highly recommend, it is the best best place I have ever been to in Drogheda and I hope to go there many, many times in the future.

Was in the kitchen Saturday night and amazed to see empty tables at 8.30 in December . Good selection of red wines .
    I had a steak which was ok but portions very small and they don't serve chips !
    No Xmas atmosphere at all.
    Overall average , they might struggle next year .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 starbuy85

ive never eaten in the kitchen at night but have been there for lunch, i would hate to see this place fail but i agree they do need to conform a bit more to peoples everyday expectations. I think the lunch menu although limited is lovely and great value, the sandwiches on offer are superb esp the lamb kofta at 5 euro its a steal! the place itself is lovely but i think a bit of advertising, some music as well in the eve and a bigger menu would help!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shano81

I’m surprised the pheasant hasn’t been mentioned more on here.

Best lunch in town at the moment in my opinion. Have had 3 different lunches there the last couple of weeks and was 10/10 each time

anyone know if chanco still do the all you can eat dinner meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Shano81 wrote: »
    I’m surprised the pheasant hasn’t been mentioned more on here.

Best lunch in town at the moment in my opinion. Have had 3 different lunches there the last couple of weeks and was 10/10 each time

Last time I went to the pheasant (about 3 or 4 months ago) I wasn't overly impressed. My OH got beef, a very stingy amount on the plate covered in gravy to make it look like there was more. What was there was stringy and chewy. I got fish which was alright but nothing to rave about. Service was ok, that was about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shano81

Last time I went to the pheasant (about 3 or 4 months ago) I wasn't overly impressed. My OH got beef, a very stingy amount on the plate covered in gravy to make it look like there was more. What was there was stringy and chewy. I got fish which was alright but nothing to rave about. Service was ok, that was about it.

The last time I got the beef which was about a year ago, there was enough for nearly 3 people on the plate! Was far too much but lovely.

Have tried a number of different dishes since the pub has reopened. Was impressed at the start, wasn’t the same standard for a bit then but still good, but has been brilliant lately!

The last 3 lunches I’ve had the lamb stew, chicken fahitas and the burger. All top notch, as I said my favourite lunch in town at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I had the exact same experience a little while ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

went to Tango's on Friday night, my first time to ever go there apart from getting a take away years back. I wanted to try an all you can eat since Chan's in bettystown has stopped doing there, possibly too successful for them I don't know why they stopped but anyway, Tango was really lovely, very please staff and a lovely atmosphere is a beautiful restaurant. I really enjoyed it! The choice of food was really good and everything was delicious, especially the King prawn which was included in the all you can eat price! Really good and would recommend it! €21 for all you can eat menu

Ordered food from the Punjabi House last night (delivery).

Same as always really. Lovely food, big portions, mildly expensive.

I always order the same thing off them, which includes chips. The chips are usually the worst part of the meal (which is fair enough, it is supposed to be Indian food, after all) but last night I was surprised to see that they seem to have improved very noticeably. The chips (whilst still miles away from any you'd get from a proper chipper) were surprisingly nice. Much chunkier than usual.

Not sure when they made that change, but hope it's a permanent one.

As ever, the food itself was lovely, delivery time was about 30 minutes and it was very filling. Can't really fault the Punjabi House's food. I do recall getting one two or three months ago and it wasn't great, but thankfully that's a rare occasion. I do notice they're no longer showing up on Just-Eat.ie, though. Which is a bit of a pity.

Sorry to disagree Kkv - I got a carry out on Saturday night and it was very dissapointing .
    Chicken jalfrezi was all right just , the two sides were Bombay aloo and sag pinnear both very very saucy with little of either spinach or potatoes .
    pricey too.
    Previous week I got an Indian from the balti house in park st dundalk and it was miles ahead .

I find Punjabi House is much better when you sit in. I got a delivery a few times and although it is amazing, Its just that little bit better inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Any one try the cafe up at Tescos since it has reopened? Something Lemonade is the name of it

blingrhino wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree Kkv

Well I never. :eek: How dare you?! How DARE You!! :mad:

Haha. :p

Ah no, as I say, i had a bit of an iffy experience off them not too long ago, but I thought last night's was lovely (though I would definitely agree about eating in being the preferable option).

I've never had bad food from the Punjabi House, to be fair. I've never ordered the food and thought "this is terrible" so I'll give them credit on that front, I suppose.

To be honest, I like their food, but they're the only Indian I've ever ate in/ordered from. Have been told that the general idea is that the Punjabi are far and away the best in Drogheda, but are a tad more expensive, too.

I hate the thoughts of saying "feck it I'll try somewhere else" and then regretting such a decision after getting the food. It's their chicken pakora that gets me, to be honest.

I wish Tesco sold some cheapo chicken pakora knock off. I'd eat novelty-sized plate-fulls of the stuff. It's lovely. :o

EDIT: I will say, to the Punjabi's credit, I ordered from them a few months ago, on Just-Eat.ie. I ordered around 4-5pm, but I ordered for later that night (11pm - On Just-Eat.ie you can pick your delivery time). About half an hour later there was a Punjabi at the front door. After a bit of a back and forth, explaining what happened (they never checked the time of the order and assumed it was for instant delivery) they gave me the food, but called back an hour later with their friends and broke all the windows on my house...

... Okay, no, that didn't happen, but they let me keep the food, and they delivered again later that night without issue. I did get a sense of them being annoyed about it having happened, but to be fair, they could've taken the food back. That was nice of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I've yet to find a better Indian outside Drogheda. I'm definitely a Punjabi fan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

I haven't tried Punjab in a while, but we had a small group at Bengal Spice (old Garam Masala) over the weekend and all twelve or thirteen of the group agreed that the food was top class.

Advertisement