Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Dont know why I am only posting this now but was in the Eastern Seaboard B&G on Wed 9 Jan. I think its the most overrated restaurant I've ever eaten in.

Don't get me wrong the food was lovely but I'd have been as satisfied or happy if we'd gone to Indus or Rupee. I'd a steak with pepper sauce which was nice, my missus had chicken and we got a few sides chips, mash, carrots and sweet potato wedges. Kids had kiddie meals, 1 with sausage the other breaded chicken.

I love their sides the chips and sweet potato wedges but overall and in general for a restaurant that appears to have a rep of being the best in town there is absolutely nothing special about it what so ever. Average and run of the mill stuff.

That was only our 2nd time there, the 1st was 3 years ago and they have not changed their menu not even a little bit. That says an awful lot about the chef, proprietor and the people who frequent the restaurant.

I will go back some time but not in any hurry. Maybe if I hear that they have introduced a new menu ! Lazy lazy lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Holy FRANK, the new Cairnes menu is amazing!

In the last 2 weeks i've had the full breakfast, the eggs benedict (pic is on my twitter), chicken maryland and scampi.
    I've never had proper scampi before so can't compare to any others but there was loads, one of the reasons i got it.
    The maryland was so different for what it was, but gorgeous in the same sense.

This thread is the quietest I've seen it. Effect of the PRSI increase is kickin in or loads of New Years resolutions still going.

Have heard Woks Cookin in Wheaton Hall mentioned on here as a nice chinese so tried it tonight for dinner. Chicken chow mein in black bean sauce and it would have been ok except for the bulb or two of garlic that was in it. Ye could see more bits of minced garlic in it than black beans. Will stick with Fate in Bettystown I think, better the devil you know and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

went to the black bull a couple of weeks ago,have to say it was really really nice and very reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Carra23 wrote: »
    This thread is the quietest I've seen it. Effect of the PRSI increase is kickin in or loads of New Years resolutions still going.

Have heard Woks Cookin in Wheaton Hall mentioned on here as a nice chinese so tried it tonight for dinner. Chicken chow mein in black bean sauce and it would have been ok except for the bulb or two of garlic that was in it. Ye could see more bits of minced garlic in it than black beans. Will stick with Fate in Bettystown I think, better the devil you know and all that.

I live in Wheaton hall and I wouldnt go near that place anymore. All of the meat i ever get is pure fat.
    The duck in particular is just all fat and leaves you with a horrible taste and sick feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

I have gone vegetarian since October, so my takeaway choices are limited, and whatever is available is just meh... I still like Woks Cooking's chips, but disappointed with their vegetarian choices, but that applies to others too, but again, it's not local businesses fault that I decided to join the minority group...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

The country is fcuked !
    I was in the esb for lunch yesterday at 12.45 and we were the only people in the restaurant :D
    After about 20 mins there would have been another 4 tables filled only .
    This is a reflection on the state our country rather than the esb .

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Was in the Fisherman's Wharf in Mell a few weeks back. Really nice food, Tasted fresh!! Prompt service. Prices weren't overlly generous but standard all the same. Would go again.

Have also visited The Peacock restaraunt @ the Brink in Slane, formally Sola Bia.
    Food was good, however one of our meals was a chicken curry, which was essentially Chicken breast covered with curry powder curry!! like the stuff you put on curry chips!! :confused: not good.!!
    they've kept the prices as they were (2 course for €14.95). also Kids meals are free on Sundays which is a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

blingrhino wrote: »
    The country is fcuked !
    I was in the esb for lunch yesterday at 12.45 and we were the only people in the restaurant :D
    After about 20 mins there would have been another 4 tables filled only .
    This is a reflection on the state our country rather than the esb .

Esb was never full at lunchtime, they're still doing great business in the evenings and weekends.
    Now, in saying that, I'm a regular but they really need to mix up the menu a bit more than just 4 variations a season or there will be a more severe decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Has the ESB ever changed its menu? Its been a while since ive been in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Has the ESB ever changed its menu? Its been a while since ive been in there.
    Not really. They've added a few things here and there but no significant change. Even their specials (mains) are starting to get repetitive. The menu is here: -

http://www.easternseaboard.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Had lunch in the Kitchen on Saturday. Love that place! Had the hot fried chicken sandwich. It was really very nice. Staff were lovely as usual and no problem with us sitting there chatting for ages.

Also tried out West29 on Sunday for lunch. Was pleasantly surprised by it. We had a few fiascos with eating in the Westcourt before. Food was extremely tasty, I had the crumbed plaice and himself had the burger. Good value too, 35euro for two starters and two mains. Staff were very nice too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Dont know why I am only posting this now but was in the Eastern Seaboard B&G on Wed 9 Jan. I think its the most overrated restaurant I've ever eaten in.

Don't get me wrong the food was lovely but I'd have been as satisfied or happy if we'd gone to Indus or Rupee. I'd a steak with pepper sauce which was nice, my missus had chicken and we got a few sides chips, mash, carrots and sweet potato wedges. Kids had kiddie meals, 1 with sausage the other breaded chicken.

I love their sides the chips and sweet potato wedges but overall and in general for a restaurant that appears to have a rep of being the best in town there is absolutely nothing special about it what so ever. Average and run of the mill stuff.

That was only our 2nd time there, the 1st was 3 years ago and they have not changed their menu not even a little bit. That says an awful lot about the chef, proprietor and the people who frequent the restaurant.

I will go back some time but not in any hurry. Maybe if I hear that they have introduced a new menu ! Lazy lazy lazy

My one and only visit there ended up in being served sweet potato wedges that looked like they'd been in the oven like 5 hours..well burnt.

I didnt bother to complain as there's no excuse for that beyond really not giving a fxxk.

Sometimes I hate eating out as my expectations are quite high , I consider myself a fairly decent cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Just back from Cairnes there, first time there and it was okay. Service was slow enough even though the place was empty. 3 of us got the burgers, I thought they were very bland, no seasoning at all. The other 2 got the chicken maryland, big poritions and they said it was lovely. Got white chocolate brownies and apple tart for desert all of which was lovely. 88 euro for 5 main courses and 4 deserts and a few cokes, good value but wouldnt go again as the menu is limited.

Have to say I love Simona Cafe!! Been a good few times recently and its lovely everytime. Always get the Casa del special pasta with garlic bread which is so fresh and tasty. It doesnt taste like the pasta sauce has to many ingredients but I just can recreate it :mad: Their coffee is lovely to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Went to Dvine last sunday for the first time. Had a deal voucher for 6 tapas and 20glasses of wine
    for 20euro

Menu looked good. Chose our six tapss and disappointed with some. The meatballs, fishcakes and patas bravas lacked flavor. Pork belly was v good, as was chili prawns. The mini burger was fab. Got chips and they were really good, nice and thick.

Was going to get desserts but nothing stood out for us, all quite heavy so left it st that.

Habe another voucher to use so will try other things off the menu

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

frogstar wrote: »
    Had a deal voucher for 6 tapas and 20glasses of wine for 20euro

Where can i get one of these??:pac:

Went to Dvine last sunday for the first time. Had a deal voucher for 6 tapas and 20glasses of wine
    for 20euro

20 glasses of wine ! bloody hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

for 20euro

Menu looked good. Chose our six tapss and disappointed with some. The meatballs, fishcakes and patas bravas lacked flavor. Pork belly was v good, as was chili prawns. The mini burger was fab. Got chips and they were really good, nice and thick.

Was going to get desserts but nothing stood out for us, all quite heavy so left it st that.

Habe another voucher to use so will try other things off the menu
    maybe after the 20 glasses of wine you where too full for dessert:D:D

Whoops! Phone has a 0 instead of spacebar!

Pity it was Only 2 glasses of wine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Had lunch in the Kitchen on Saturday. Love that place! Had the hot fried chicken sandwich. It was really very nice. Staff were lovely as usual and no problem with us sitting there chatting for ages.

Also tried out West29 on Sunday for lunch. Was pleasantly surprised by it. We had a few fiascos with eating in the Westcourt before. Food was extremely tasty, I had the crumbed plaice and himself had the burger. Good value too, 35euro for two starters and two mains. Staff were very nice too. :)

Have to agree about the Kitchen, have had lunch on a Saturday twice and Sunday lunch once. I think its the freshest food in the town . A real emphasis on not serving processed food and no processed food for kids either! Everything seems to be freshly made. It's just never been that busy when I was there but I'd rate it one of the best around. Lamb Kofta was amazing .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

New Italian restaurant 'La Dolce Vita' opening soon in the old Indus premises in Bryanstown.
    I think the people who own Sorrento are behind it.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Achilles24

Anyone know what's in the sauce in eastern seaboard wings????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Was back in the Monasterboice Inn ( Donegans ) for brekkie on Saturday morning, still as good as the last time i visited.

Great vale for 8.99 including tea/coffee and toast.

My young lad had a ham omelette and chips , he said it was 10/10 delicious.

So thumbs up from me for the brekkie, i consider it the best around at the moment .If i am hungry or hungover and need a good fry up, then this is where i head now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

furiousox wrote: »
    New Italian restaurant 'La Dolce Vita' opening soon in the old Indus premises in Bryanstown.
    I think the people who own Sorrento are behind it.

Always heard good things about Sorrento, but never got to it.

What's with the mad flashing sign LDC have though. Drove by the other night and all I could see was a huge red flashing light :S

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

sorrentos isnt great tbh

Any word on when the new pizza place is opening on James Street ?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Any word on when the new pizza place is opening on James Street ?

On their face book page the said it could be another 6 weeks, they had to send the furniture back for some reason so are waiting for it to be replaced and they are also waiting on their wine licence.

I think Jean Carlo from the Pizzeria is opening in Clogherhead this year and I think someone said there will be an Italian opening near the Eastern Sea Board. I love a good Italian but would love if someone would open a good Mexican in Drogheda too.

Italian and Mexican restaurants usually have great choices for veggie's like me, the choice in other restaurants is usually something based on mushroom or aubergine (usually something slimy) or a cheesy pasta thing. I know we're in the minority but I hate going out and the only choices are for some left over vegetables in a stir fry or pasta bake.

I love a good Italian but would love if someone would open a good Mexican in Drogheda too.

Italian and Mexican restaurants usually have great choices for veggie's like me, the choice in other restaurants is usually something based on mushroom or aubergine (usually something slimy) or a cheesy pasta thing. I know we're in the minority but I hate going out and the only choices are for some left over vegetables in a stir fry or pasta bake.[/QUOTE]

Bit of a drive but great Mexican in Howth called El Paso. Great atmosphere, you'd almost believe you were in Mexico while eating there !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Had another great evening in ESB last week, everyone enjoyed their meals and the experience, we were there until late and it was a great night out. However, every women commented that the ladies WC was a disgrace and had been the last time they were there as well which was some time ago. Its not like they have the excuse they are not busy and cannot afford to make essential repairs. Come on ESB, dont let stupid maintenance issues ruin the experience.

Advertisement