Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Had another excellent lunch on Sunday in the esb also however noticeable difference on the size of the main course main (pork belly. John Dory ) def. a lot smaller than previous occasions and still overcooked chips but a worthy 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

the chips are meant to be cooked liked that imo, nicest chips in town i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

ESB has dipped lately imo.
    Smaller portions, higher prices, some average meals lately too where it used to be consistently good.
    Seems to be a high turnover of staff too which is never a good sign.
    The chips in Simona's are fantastic btw.
    Hand cut potatoes, crispy and delicious!

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Lantus wrote: »
    Had another great evening in ESB last week, everyone enjoyed their meals and the experience, we were there until late and it was a great night out. However, every women commented that the ladies WC was a disgrace and had been the last time they were there as well which was some time ago.

Yuk! This would totally turn me off a place! If the toilets are manky, what is the kitchen like? :(

You ladies are a disgrace!
    The gents toilets are always pristine in every pub and restaurant I've ever been to. ;)

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »
    Seems to be a high turnover of staff too which is never a good sign.
    The chips in Simona's are fantastic btw.
    Hand cut potatoes, crispy and delicious!

I'm going to try Simona soon

regards the high turnover, just pay your bloody staff! greeeeed

The last time I was there the staff seemed to be coming in straight from the Sacred Heart & St Marys!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Tried the Tower at Millmount for lunch Paddy's day. Excellent!

Generous portions fab presentation, nothing too much trouble, loved the decor and cocktails were only 7.50, they have a lovely separate bar downstairs ( pity I was driving). Menu seems to change regularly , main course of Lemon Sole was only €12 which I thought was great. Will be going back ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Looking at the ad for Ajanta in the back of the free Dro-Leader rag...anyone hit it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Rossin wrote: »
    I'm going to try Simona soon

regards the high turnover, just pay your bloody staff! greeeeed

Where abouts is Simona?

• Advertisement

beside the kitchen just up from eddie rockets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Has anyone been to Bia lately?

I see they have a new menu, in the sense that they have slightly changed some options and upped the prices in some ways.
    Is it under new management?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

CMpunked wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Bia lately?

I see they have a new menu, in the sense that they have slightly changed some options and upped the prices in some ways.
    Is it under new management?

I was there the other day. Had the lamb burger, very tasty. Didn't get a chance to look at the other new options.

I was there the other day. Had the lamb burger, very tasty. Didn't get a chance to look at the other new options.

How did you find the service? Has it improved at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Was in Bia Drogheda today,had chicken stir fry,partner had half roast chicken with wedges,food was great value and as ever excellent @14 euro, place was 3/4 full at 2.30pm.
    Staff were very nice and polite but definately just casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

How did you find the service? Has it improved at all?

Service was prompt and polite. (As I say I didn't have a chance to peruse all the new options on the menu before it was taken away;)). The older woman (or as my OH calls her - 'Smily') wasn't on. Although the last time we were there she was in great form, so much so that it was a topic of table conversation!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

bastados wrote: »
    Looking at the ad for Ajanta in the back of the free Dro-Leader rag...anyone hit it yet?

Just had take away from there tonight.

Negatives: Very slow & you have to call a mobile number and put on hold.

Positives: The food tasted pretty good, we had 3 dishes. Ajanta House Curry (Chicken) and Lamb Bhoona, Aloo Ki Tikki.

The lamb dish was the best, no grissly bits in it like we had from other local Indian Takeaways (Pakistani/Bengali). The veggie dish was good, then I do like chickpeas.

Portion sizes are a bit on the light side, though this might not be a bad thing.

The sauces tasted fresh, not the generic type taste you get with some Indian Takeaways.

Where is Ajanta?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Rossin wrote: »
    Where is Ajanta?

New takeaway on Peter street...they had full page ad in Drogheda Leader this week. assume its where chinese was near Clarkes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

As well as an updated Menu, Bia are now selling beer!
    They have 3 craft beers and one cider at a fiver a pop for a 500ml bottle.
    Didn't get a chance to sample any as i was driving but i will next time.

• Advertisement

kbell wrote: »
    As well as an updated Menu, Bia are now selling beer!
    They have 3 craft beers and one cider at a fiver a pop for a 500ml bottle.
    Didn't get a chance to sample any as i was driving but i will next time.

Fair play to them trying something new.

I was in Mary's Market Cafe again today, everything in it is divine. Real good homely food, no pretentiousness or cheap tasting cafe food. It results in an extremely good medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Fair play to them trying something new.

I was in Mary's Market Cafe again today, everything in it is divine. Real good homely food, no pretentiousness or cheap tasting cafe food. It results in an extremely good medium.

Yep, been in a few times in last 2 months, cant fault it for anything.

Phoned Saturday night around 7.30 for about 20 minutes and no answer .
    I went in to Peter st and he told me at least 30 mins before it would be ready so I left and went to the place in stock well st which was dissapointing .
    I don't think ajanta were prepared for the initial level of business so hopefully they get on the right road soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I ordered Ajanta yesterday and had no problem. Rang just after 5, food arrived in under a half hour!
    And I have to say it is top notch. I had the chicken Ajanta house curry, a bit watery the sauce but very delicious. Very fresh, you could taste the lovely fresh bits of ginger and garlic. Not hot at all though, but I suppose you can specify that yourself.
    I also had the Aloo gobi side and it was probably the nicest bit of Indian grub I've ever tasted!! Its a dish of roasted spuds, cauliflower and tomatoes in a curry type sauce. You can get it as a main as well so I'll be doing that next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Was in the Kitchen yesterday for a function in the Party Room in the afternoon. It's official, I love that place! The staff were so accommodating to us. All our food arrived together and was so nice! Had a BLT, it was delish! Didn't need to do any of the dissection work that I normally have to do with bacon! It was very crispy! :D We were there for a good few hours and everything was lovely! So nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

We tried Ajanta yesterday, and I would rate it okay. Chicken Korma was watery and spicy (as compared to creamy and sweet), naan was alright, punjabi channa tasted great but was also on the watery side (you could say more authentic, I suppose) and the rice was fine, and the portions were not massive either - just right. So over all, Okay. That's based on just one order, so I could be (and I hope I am) wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No. no no no.

WHAT HAPPENED BIZOU?!?!?

Went today and its cleared out completly. Tell me it isnt gone for good...

esb - both got steaks, whatever about the service, the food was flawless.

d'vine - falafel pizza, so good! I'm not even a big pizza fan but this was absolutely delicious, my first time eating in D'vine!

Simona - steak sambo, was nice, the chips are good as someone mentioned, still no esb though... Everyone raving about this place at the moment, didn't quite see why, I was sitting so close to the people beside me I think they were afraid to talk!

mullens - taco chip, sure why not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

No. no no no.

WHAT HAPPENED BIZOU?!?!?

Went today and its cleared out completly. Tell me it isnt gone for good...
    noooooooooooooooooooooo

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    noooooooooooooooooooooo

Gonezo last Saturday !

Advertisement