Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm hyperventilating here. Please someone give me some good news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I'm hyperventilating here. Please someone give me some good news :(

Ziggler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Went to Riverside on Sunday , no one in it, had the set menu, 22.99 for two course and glass of vino.. Had the stuffed peppers for starters and Cajun fish for mains, it was delish! Got dinky little bread too whilst we were waiting, big hit with my son! Waitresses were attentive too!

surprised about bizou, always was fairly full when I passed, I never really liked the food in it though.

CMpunked wrote: »
    Ziggler.

Hmm, a good try. But no amount of ballroom dancing is going to replace Bizou in my heart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SuperCSize

positron wrote: »
    We tried Ajanta yesterday, and I would rate it okay. Chicken Korma was watery and spicy (as compared to creamy and sweet), naan was alright, punjabi channa tasted great but was also on the watery side (you could say more authentic, I suppose) and the rice was fine, and the portions were not massive either - just right. So over all, Okay. That's based on just one order, so I could be (and I hope I am) wrong.

Indian Korma, in it most authentic state, is actually a very spicey dish. It's only became sweet and creamy over the years from our UK counterparts. The Ajanta one is a bit closer to the mark in terms of authenticity, and good for my wife as it does not contain nuts. Curries should be a little more watery than we are used to as well, the heavy ones we are used too again is down to western progress with the food, the more watered down ones are more complex to get flavor into and Ajanta pull it off.
    I'd recommend the Madras to anyone who likes spicey food, the house curry if you prefer a more mellow creamy curry. The aloo Tikki is spectacular, and for me their method of cooking food fresh is a big positive. Worth the wait for me.

• Advertisement

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Was in the Kitchen yesterday for a function in the Party Room in the afternoon. It's official, I love that place! The staff were so accommodating to us. All our food arrived together and was so nice! Had a BLT, it was delish! Didn't need to do any of the dissection work that I normally have to do with bacon! It was very crispy! :D We were there for a good few hours and everything was lovely! So nice :D

Love the Kitchen as well. Very tasty food and staff very friendly. New to the area and will be back for sure. Need to let the wife know about the BLT, her favorite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

SuperCSize wrote: »
    Indian Korma, in it most authentic state, is actually a very spicey dish. It's only became sweet and creamy over the years from our UK counterparts. The Ajanta one is a bit closer to the mark in terms of authenticity, and good for my wife as it does not contain nuts.

You are right, and I am from a different part of India where korma is entirely different dish, so I wouldn't know much about this korma as much as say I would about masala dosas, which I see in Ajanta's menu, which is a first for Drogheda I think.

PinkFly wrote: »
    Went to Riverside on Sunday , no one in it, had the set menu, 22.99 for two course and glass of vino.. Had the stuffed peppers for starters and Cajun fish for mains, it was delish! Got dinky little bread too whilst we were waiting, big hit with my son! Waitresses were attentive too!

surprised about bizou, always was fairly full when I passed, I never really liked the food in it though.

Was the a la carte expensive?

In my search for a replacement for Bizou, I tried Cairnes today in Scotch Hall.

Did not like. Got the burger, and it was a disaster tbh. I quite liked the decour. I love it in the ESB as well, and that bare-bones decoration is right up my street. The burger was served on a small wooden board which was far too small, with a bowl of handcut chips on it as well. Too big to really pick up, but no steak knife offered as would be usual in that sort of burger. The cheese was all coming out one side, nearly off the plate. The burger itself was rubber, and tasted as if it was frozen out of the box. When I tried to cut into it, it just spit juice and sauce all over the place.

The presentation, in general, was dire in my opinion. As for the staff (and I'm comparing to Bizou's here), one didn't know the specials (which when they are basic enough should be a standard piece of knowledge for a server). There was a lady beside me, and when she finished her soup, she asked for a cup of coffee; they said sure, and then started resetting the table with her still sitting at it. Not as if they were that busy, but I've never seen that one before.

Price wise, thought it was reasonable for the type of food being offered. Just wasn't a fan of what actually was presented to me.

The quest continues....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Had a lovely meal is ESB on Monday night. Tried one of the new additions to the menu, the pork belly and it was yum. The portion looked small on the plate but I could barely finish it (after a starter of chicken wings). Himself got the seafood pasta and while he said it was very tasty - there was too much sauce for his liking. The rest of the party all had lamb shanks and loved them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Had a lovely meal is ESB on Monday night. Tried one of the new additions to the menu, the pork belly and it was yum. The portion looked small on the plate but I could barely finish it (after a starter of chicken wings). Himself got the seafood pasta and while he said it was very tasty - there was too much sauce for his liking. The rest of the party all had lamb shanks and loved them.

Pork belly has been on the menu from the start.it use to be a bigger portion though and very popular,maybe too popular !
    how much was the seafood pasta? it was a lunch special last week and think it was €22.95 :eek: bit excessive for a pasta dish i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

blingrhino wrote: »
    Pork belly has been on the menu from the start.it use to be a bigger portion though and very popular,maybe too popular !
    how much was the seafood pasta? it was a lunch special last week and think it was €22.95 :eek: bit excessive for a pasta dish i think.

Maybe they've tweaked it but it's not the same as it was. I think the old one was 'slow roasted belly of pork', now it's 'cracklin pork belly'.

I can't remember how much the seafood pasta was, but it was one of the specials so I presume it was the same price. Anything with any seafood in it tends to get the price hiked up though. Not just ESB, pretty much any restaurant in Ireland:(

positron wrote: »
    You are right, and I am from a different part of India where korma is entirely different dish, so I wouldn't know much about this korma as much as say I would about masala dosas, which I see in Ajanta's menu, which is a first for Drogheda I think.

My friend has been in and tried the Dosa, said it was nice however they only do it in starter portion. Having seen Dosa the size of a small dog in the past, may not be adequate for a main course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Masala dosa is derived off normal dosa which is normally breakfast food in South of India. Dosa's are much smaller than the dosa part of the masala dosa, and less oily and perhaps not as crisp. I would probably eat half a dozen of them for breakfast. Paper roast / Ghee roast version of dosa uses ghee on the stone but makes the dosa part really paper thin - so it's a bit different from the typical breakfast food. And masala filling (spicy potatoes and peas) makes it 'masala dosa' rather heavy, but enjoyed at pretty much any time of the day these days. Now that I think about it one proper masala dosa won't be sufficient as the main dinner of the day to me either. Hmm, I have lost track of what I was going to say here, thought of tasty masala dosas have ruined the post.. sorry..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Got a take out from Ajanta last week. AWESOME!!! We got a bhuna and a korma, both delicous, amazing flavours and spices. The popadom sauce was also amazing and the nan was a great size and moist and well falvoured.

Would defo return (for collection.) Its great to see an Indian that delivers good food rather than thick sauce slop which is what a lot of western takeaways serve up. Having spent some time in the middle east the indian restaurants out there are more in line with ajanta. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Went to the Kitchen today, we got 2 lamb koftas and a side of sauteed potatoes, 12.50, i actually felt like id robbed the place when I was leaving!

ESB, D'vine, Milanos, the Kitchen, we're spoiled for choice imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Rossin wrote: »
    Went to the Kitchen today, we got 2 lamb koftas and a side of sauteed potatoes, 12.50, i actually felt like id robbed the place when I was leaving!

ESB, D'vine, Milanos, the Kitchen, we're spoiled for choice imo!

Is that each or for the 2 of you? Still have not tried the kitchen.

Have to agree about Ajanta, have tried the chicken tikka masalla out of it twice and it was lovely! Even the smell of the place with all the spices is lovely and you can tell its all cooked from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

that was for 2 of us!

Any one know what hours Simona open?

Can't remember the prices of the food at riverside, think 5/6 euro for starters, 15 for mains? I know you had to pay supplement for steak if you were going for the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Any one know what hours Simona open?

https://www.facebook.com/SimonaCafe/info

• Advertisement

Was in the Kitchen last night, delivery driver from Ajanta turned up with food for the chefs. How funny! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

unfortunately aileens art of coffee on stockwell st closed down today :mad: really liked that place, good value , nice food, friendly and healthy options for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

whelan1 wrote: »
    unfortunately aileens art of coffee on stockwell st closed down today :mad: really liked that place, good value , nice food, friendly and healthy options for the kids

Ah no! :( Another little gem that'll be sadly missed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

was at the ESB last night... back to normal service it would appear!
    couldn't fault the place; staff were sound and competent, atmosphere was great, but most importantly the food was out of this world!!
    8oz RibEye steak with sweet potato wedges, mrs k had Salmon... unbelievably tasty!
    Bread b butter pudding + creme broulé also top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Anyone know what the new place on North Quay is called? Used to be Monks years ago ...

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Anyone know what the new place on North Quay is called? Used to be Monks years ago ...

It's where Salthouse is going to be relocated

It's where Salthouse is going to be relocated

Is the Salthouse now closed ?

First time in ESB last night, went there due to some good reviews I have seen on here.
    Had the steak, it was very nice. Very good prices as well, and staff very friendly. Will defo be going back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Going for Ajanta on Sunday after the 10k. Any recommendations for starter and main, not fond of anything too spicy

• Advertisement

Carra23 wrote: »
    Going for Ajanta on Sunday after the 10k. Any recommendations for starter and main, not fond of anything too spicy
    Ajanta House Curry is the one people keep talking about. Wouldn't worry about their food being too hot, they cook everything fresh so if you ask them to make something nice and mellow for you then they will.

Advertisement