Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Would suggest the Tikka Masala out of Adjanta!! It is lovely. Got an adjanta on Friday night and as nice as the food is the wait times are a disgrace. I phoned ahead and was told they were busy so would be 40 mins. Went down 40 mins later and had to wait a further half an hour to get food and there were other people waiting over an hour as well. Obviously cooking everything fresh is great for the taste but they would want to get the balance right because people will be put off waiting that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

Just been in Drogheda and was going to go to The Kitchen but they were just changing from their lunch menu to their evening one and didn't fancy a full evening meal. We therefore decided to try Harpers on the Quay for the first time. The decor is nice enough although the menu wasn't the most inspiring. They had some specials and my wife went for the Fresh Cod while I went for the 'house quiche' after ascertaining it was vegetarian since the menu gave no listing of ingredients.

The quiche came smothered in that horrible red cheese so beloved of Irish eateries, melted into a layer that was miraculously soggy in some parts and burnt to a crisp in others, I took it off and left it on the side of the plate. I suspect the cheese was used to mask the fact that the quiche itself was non-descript and old, the pastry looked like it had been sitting on a grill for a couple of days. Pretty horrible.

My wife said the cod was certainly not fresh, was overcooked and probably not even cod, and the batter was quite simply gross - a stodgy mess of partially cooked flour and water.

The waitress came and asked how the food was and my wife told her that the batter was inedible. She then came back and told us that as my wife had been 'picking at it' she could offer us a glass of wine or a coffee and when my wife showed little enthusiasm for it said 'I'll leave that with you'.

It was the last we saw of her as a different waitress came to bring the bill and collect payment. No offer of any reductions, no apologies, seemingly little interest at all.

I'd been looking forward to trying it but this has been my one and only visit. Never again. Diabolical food and shoddy service.

On the up side the chips were nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Went to simona today as the kitchen was packed. Simona was too, but the que was shorter! :P

Food was gorgeous and fresh. I got the steak ciabatta and it was excellent for 11.50. Bread was that perfect mix of firm but not rubbery and the fillet steak was pulled into strips and lay in a way I havent seen other restaurants doing before.
    Mrs. Punked had the spicy italian sausage and chicken in tomato and chili sauce which was devine.

Spotted a lot of dishes going around which I really need to try next. The carbonara in particular looked amazing. Can't wait to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

+1

We were there for lunch on Friday.
    I had the the spicy Italian sausage and chicken in tomato and chili sauce too, really nice, will get it again.
    Mrs ox wasn't that hungry so she had the wild mushroom ravioli which was just amazing.
    Neither of us had ever had it before but it was out of this world.
    And of course we had to share a portion of the hand cut chips too. :)

EDIT: The Carbonara is very nice, rich and creamy sauce but not ott. Nothing a couple of hours on a treadmill won't fix!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SuperCSize

m.j.w wrote: »
    Would suggest the Tikka Masala out of Adjanta!! It is lovely. Got an adjanta on Friday night and as nice as the food is the wait times are a disgrace. I phoned ahead and was told they were busy so would be 40 mins. Went down 40 mins later and had to wait a further half an hour to get food and there were other people waiting over an hour as well. Obviously cooking everything fresh is great for the taste but they would want to get the balance right because people will be put off waiting that long.

Yeah, I ordered delivery from them yesterday and waited for over an hour. The food is fantastic though and there is nothing that comes close to them around here. I suppose you sacrifice "fast food" for quality with them, depending on the individual then it would be up to them if they are willing to do that. Seems to be weekends they get really busy as delivery from them is usually around 35min when I have ordered through the week. I will keep going back, maybe just be calling an hour earlier at the weekends. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

SuperCSize wrote: »
    Yeah, I ordered delivery from them yesterday and waited for over an hour. The food is fantastic though and there is nothing that comes close to them around here. I suppose you sacrifice "fast food" for quality with them, depending on the individual then it would be up to them if they are willing to do that. Seems to be weekends they get really busy as delivery from them is usually around 35min when I have ordered through the week. I will keep going back, maybe just be calling an hour earlier at the weekends. :)

I understand that alrite but if your told 40 minutes and go down after an hour your food will be freezing. If its going to be an hour they should tell you an hour and not try to play it down. They were still telling people ordering that it was gonna be 35-40 minutes when there was no chance of that with the ammount of orders coming in. I hope they do well as the food is great but people will not put up with having to wait over an hour in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Didn get to Ajanta today but been ringing Rupee Bettystown for 10 mins now, no answer. Is it closed anyone know ? Tried no. for Rupee Drogheda but not even ringing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Rupee's Drogheda branch closed down nearly a year ago AFAIK, not sure about the main one in Bettystown.

positron wrote: »
    Rupee's Drogheda branch closed down nearly a year ago AFAIK, not sure about the main one in Bettystown.

Cheers. Think the Bettystown one is still open but it was 23.10 when I was ringing, closes at 11 on Sundays. Your spot on bout the Drogheda one, think it just changed back to Indus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I walked up Meatmarket lane yesterday and noticed that Bizou café is gone. Blinds down, closed sign on the door, and estate agent "to let" sign in the window.

When did it close? (it's been a while since I passed that way)

PS - forgot to add, had yummy french toast and bacon for lunch at The Copper Kettle on Peter St. I've walked past the door many times, but this was my first visit. I like the fact that they offer an all day brekky...I'll be back!

Edit: I should read this thread a bit more closely - have just seen the posts from early April about Bizou's demise......

Carry on - as you were!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

gipi wrote: »

PS - forgot to add, had yummy french toast and bacon for lunch at The Copper Kettle on Peter St. I've walked past the door many times, but this was my first visit. I like the fact that they offer an all day brekky...I'll be back!

I often wondered about that place...can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

The menu is fairly standard - all day breakfasts (in various sizes), sandwiches/paninis (you can select your own fillings) along with some main courses (I didn't look at them so can't remember any in particular).

It's not a large space, there are 10 tables or thereabouts (mostly 4-seater, some 2-seater). When I called in (around 1.45pm on Friday), the place was full of what I guessed were workers having lunch - quite a few left about 2pm.

The french toast was well-cooked and not burnt with the egg well-distributed through the bread, and the bacon was 2 traditional Irish salty rashers. The toast was served with maple syrup too.

All this, plus a mug of coffee (or tea if you prefer) for just under €6.

The all day breakfast is the usual stuff - sausage, bacon, egg, pudding, toast, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Big thumbs up here for Ajanta too. If you ring ahead for collection at a set time, that works too.

The kebabs are amazing, so fresh and tasty and the salad and marinade are yum.
    The naan breads are lovely, the Balti is amazing and have also tried the Shabanam curry.
    Will be working my way through the menu I think :)

The only item I wouldn't order is the last starter on the hot list, with potato? It was almost a fiver and there was nothing in it! Apart from that I love the place, long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I got take away from Ajanta on Wednesday, deliveries are a lot quicker now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Honest Bob

Hi All,

Pizzeria reopening on monday 20th May.

Check out their facebook page

Can't wait

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Honest Bob wrote: »
    Hi All,

Pizzeria reopening on monday 20th May.

Check out their facebook page

Can't wait

HB

Is that la pizzeria or da pizzeria?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Honest Bob

Sorry it's la pizzeria

It's reopening in Clogerhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Tried Aisha's Bistro and Café on Wellington Quay last night! Holy moley, it's divine! :)
    We went for the Mezza option off the Lebanese specials because we could not decide to have. The amount of food was unreal and all of it was lovely! The mezza options gives you a sampling of nearly all of the Lebanese starters - hummus, falalfel, kittbeh, chicken wings, tabbouleh. And it came with lovely Lebanese bread for dipping! :D Then we had Shish Taouk and Kafta Shish which was lovely. The presentation was fabulous and the food was so tasty.
    I wasn't sure himself was going to like it but he loved it. The staff were very nice and the chef came out to make sure we were enjoying it. :D Will defo be back. Quite a possibility that it could become a firm favourite! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Hi any deals on early birds looking to head out tomorrow night maybe carlitos thanks
    Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Tried Aisha's Bistro and Café on Wellington Quay last night! Holy moley, it's divine! :)
    We went for the Mezza option off the Lebanese specials because we could not decide to have. The amount of food was unreal and all of it was lovely! The mezza options gives you a sampling of nearly all of the Lebanese starters - hummus, falalfel, kittbeh, chicken wings, tabbouleh. And it came with lovely Lebanese bread for dipping! :D Then we had Shish Taouk and Kafta Shish which was lovely. The presentation was fabulous and the food was so tasty.
    I wasn't sure himself was going to like it but he loved it. The staff were very nice and the chef came out to make sure we were enjoying it. :D Will defo be back. Quite a possibility that it could become a firm favourite! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Yogic

Tried to find" la pizzeria " on facebook and got about 100 results. They should really have Clogherhead in the page name IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

bewhiched wrote: »
    Hi any deals on early birds looking to head out tomorrow night maybe carlitos thanks
    bit late now thwy dont do an early bird anymore but have a menu for 19.99, good value imo

Must try it, sounds good. Do you have a number for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Mylow wrote: »
    Must try it, sounds good. Do you have a number for it?

Have a look in the Leader - I think he has an ad on the Restaurants page. We didn't book, but it was a Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Fate Bettystown - I see that it says closed for renovations and when I tried to call 3/4 weeks ago the message said they were closed for renovations also. I wonder are they really just closed for renovations or closed forever? I really liked that Chinese as it didn't make me feel stodgy and portion sizes weren't huge. Any other nice Chinese places in Bettystown or Drogheda?

Have a look in the Leader - I think he has an ad on the Restaurants page. We didn't book, but it was a Thursday night.

I found number on the interweb thingy. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Fate Bettystown - I see that it says closed for renovations and when I tried to call 3/4 weeks ago the message said they were closed for renovations also. I wonder are they really just closed for renovations or closed forever? I really liked that Chinese as it didn't make me feel stodgy and portion sizes weren't huge. Any other nice Chinese places in Bettystown or Drogheda?

It's for sale as far as I can see. Food was muck lately, used to get takeaways and the last three times were awful.

Chans bettystown still good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Since Woks Cooking gave us a couple of bad take aways (too much salt), we tried Tango. Well, should have tried them earlier. Both dishes we bought were delicious, and one of them was tofu - which is a plus in itself, as I can't find many places that offer tofu in their menu - and Tango's "Tofu in Tango sauce" was delicious (Tango sauce tastes like a spicy, curry version of sweet and sour sauce or something like that. Not to mention the generous portion sizes. We will definitely order again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

frogstar wrote: »
    It's for sale as far as I can see. Food was muck lately, used to get takeaways and the last three times were awful.

Is Chans good yeah? I've never tried it and was reluctant to. I don't like Wok's Cooking.

• Advertisement

frogstar wrote: »

Used to love Fate but went down hill. Moved down in 2009 n tried all the Chinese in Bettystown and settled on Fate as the best, thought it was head and shoulders above the rest. Used to always get take away and collect n every time I went in I promised myself I'd go have sit in meal some time.

More or less this time last year, day of FA cup final, went in with my GF and what we both had starter and main. Wot she had is irrelevant but both my starter and main came out wrong. Ordered ribs starter n got wings and ordered pork main and got beef.

Would usually kick up stink over that but food was tasty, however, the experience left a sour taste and never went there again until 3 wks ago, the night of the Boyne 10k.

Tried to order Indian but were all closed and Fate was the only place delivering. Had high expectations as I hadn't eaten there for a year. Ordered beef in black bean sauce and it was rotten. Beef was extremely moist and soft, almost artificial .

Long story short, once upon a time Id have been gutted to hear Fate was closing/closed but Indian is the only way............ Long live Rupee ! ! !

Advertisement