Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SuperCSize

positron wrote: »
    I am not judging SuperCSize in anyway, but I noticed this comment alright. A few months ago, I hosted my daughters second birthday party there and everyone thought everything was delicious. I am Indian myself, and half the guests were Indians and some of the other half are self-proclaimed Indian food lovers (except a 12 year old and a 10 year old brother and sister, they can't stand Indian food, and I am fairly certain they called into KFC or McD drive thru before hitting the M1 :D)

I accept the comment is a little strong, but I was very disappointed with the food there. I had a shish kebab that was tasteless and full of red coloring. My Vindaloo had a heap of oil on the top of it, it was terrible. The popadoms were fresh but the mint dip that came with it was awful and I would be surprised if there was any fresh mint that ever came near it.

It's just my opinion, each to their own. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Left our usual Ming Garden takeaway and tried Chans down in Bettystown instead last night.

The Beef Kung Po was delicious, one of the nicest dishes I've ever tasted. On the other hand, the chicken curry didn't impress me; the meat was nice but the sauce was a bit funky. The nice beef though outweighed the dodgy curry, though not sure if the overall experience was nice enough to dislodge my love of the Ming. :P Delivery time was great as well; only 20 minutes between the order being placed and arriving in Grange Rath, half the time it usually takes Ming (although that's cause it's the other side of town...).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭irishbrain

We ordered Bengal Spice takeaway last night to avail of their special offer on just-eat.ie which is for 20% off on orders over €35.

I ordered the Vegetable Chilli Masala which is cooked with fresh green chilli, herbs & spices and had it with boiled rice and a Peshwari naan bread. It was delicious as usual and the 20% discount made a big difference to the overall price.

Bengal Spice never lets me down. I do like a change sometimes though and we occasionally order from Punjabi House Indian takeaway on the Dublin Road which is also really nice. I think the portions are bigger there but the prices are also higher. Still, I reckon it's worth it. Must try Ajanta soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Tried the Noodle Box last night and meh...I'm not sure about it. Had a Chicken Soy Box, it was nice, bit salty. Plenty of food in it so couldn't really complain but I dunno, just wasn't doing it for me. Think I might have to try a different one next time. Staff were very nice tho and it was ready in the quickest of flashes! :)
    Brought the menu home, will study it in detail before I order the next time. Think I just panicked and went for the first thing I saw :P

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Please stick to the restaurant reviews only on this thread.

If you suspect someone of being a shill, please report the post for Mods to look into, do not accuse people on thread - it derails the thread and causes unnecessary work for Mods. Similarly, if someone is accusing you of same - report the post. If you don't know how to report a post, click the red and white triangular icon on the left of the post.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Warning for backseat moderation/off-topic chat after my Mod post, irishbrain. If you have a problem with something on thread, as per my last message - report it. You are also free to PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

I havn't ordered bengal sprice or Punjabi house for at least a year now as both the portions and ingredient quality went down hill, must try them again. However, have been ordering frequently from Ajanta. And, well I can't strongly enough describe how much we're enjoying. Everything so far has been great. Follow the facebook page and you can get discounts and free starters. Really glad to keep this place in business.

Anyway, the actual point of my post was the new Salthouse. Fantastic stuff. Great quality food (still) and the new location and interior rocks. Delighted there, with both a couples meal and family time. Will be back frequantly.
    Have to get back to the fishermans again soon and still have to try Aishas which sounds amazing?

D rog wrote: »
    I havn't ordered bengal sprice or Punjabi house for at least a year now as both the portions and ingredient quality went down hill, must try them again. However, have been ordering frequently from Ajanta. And, well I can't strongly enough describe how much we're enjoying. Everything so far has been great. Follow the facebook page and you can get discounts and free starters. Really glad to keep this place in business.

Anyway, the actual point of my post was the new Salthouse. Fantastic stuff. Great quality food (still) and the new location and interior rocks. Delighted there, with both a couples meal and family time. Will be back frequantly.
    Have to get back to the fishermans again soon and still have to try Aishas which sounds amazing?

Where is the new salthouse located ? Did really like the old place as they had some great options for mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

where monks cafe used to be, beside harpers

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Off topic posts have been deleted. Please stick to what we all want to read about in this thread. Food! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Anyone tried the new Spanish Cafe (where Wine Buff was on Lawrence Street)? They are big fans of re-heating pre-cooked food in Microwave. Nice selection, let down by use of microwave ovens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

irishbrain wrote: »
    We ordered Bengal Spice takeaway last night...

It was delicious as usual...
    +1

Always 10/10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SuperCSize

Guys, is Tango any good? Missus is big fan of Chinese and it's her birthday this Sunday, looking for some up market food which I have been advised is as good as it gets at Tango, anyone agree?

Yes Tango is very very good. Not sure I would describe it as 'up market' but it's clean and friendly and VERY good value. Be warned: The portions are very small! but you will be encouraged by the staff to order several (it's all you can eat!) so don't be shy.

Enjoy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

SuperCSize wrote: »
    Guys, is Tango any good? Missus is big fan of Chinese and it's her birthday this Sunday, looking for some up market food which I have been advised is as good as it gets at Tango, anyone agree?
    Its a pretty restaurant decor wise. Food is really good. Asian cuisine so you get Thai etc meals. Portions of main course are small but you can order as many as you like, but the starters are starter size but i very rarely get main course always end up eating loads of starters. The staff encourage you to order so order a few at a time. Also i think . .if you bring your wife on her birthday bring her passport and she will eat for free:-)

Will be in the Eastern Seaboard for the first time next weekend

Well it came and went. Was there last night and thought I'd just post up a quick review of the place.

For 'normal food' (ie; not indian or pizza, etc.) I usually stick with Bru for evening time and if it's during the day I'd go to Burke's (god I love their food!). Obviously I'd visit other places aswell, but those would be most prominent (though I generally don't go that often).

I went to ESB last night. T'was just myself and one other person, and we booked in for 9pm. We arrived at the restaurant at about 9:05 and were told our table wasn't ready yet, we could have a drink at the bar while we waited if we wanted. So we did just that, and about 15-20 minutes later they came over and told us our table was ready.

The table was a table for four people (4 chairs and all) and they put the table settings so we weren't sitting opposite each other (but instead at two corners of the table beside each other.. if that makes sense?).

Felt a bit awkward initially, to be honest, as it kinda looked like we were waiting on two friends that never showed up, but it's a minor thing, really. The place was busy (full, it'd seem) and as goes hand in hand with that, it was rather noisy, too (despite sitting next to each other, rather close, we still had to repeat to each other a fair bit). Not ESB's fault, obviously, and it's great to see somewhere doing well, but it was a little annoying at times.

By the way, I read about the place on TripAdvisor before I went. Three general comments that kept re-appearing were:

1) It's very cold - I disagree with this, as I actually was very comfortable with the temperature. Wasn't shivering, but more importantly, wasn't sweating. Could be just luck, though.

2) Chairs aren't comfortable - I'd partially agree with this. While they won't ruin your night, they're definitely the worst chairs I've ever seen in any restaurant. Hard wood chairs aren't great for any extended sitting (now admittedly, they weren't uncomfortable, but they could certainly do with upgrading).

3) The decor/interior is amazing - Again, partially agree. It wasn't something that stood out to me (with the exception of the worn USA flag behind the bar, which was a nice touch). It does make you forget you're in a building at the end of a row of shops pinned between two housing estates and a school.

So anyway, all that trivial crap aside, we didn't order starters, but just went for mains and dessert. Can't comment on the lady's main food of course (though she seemed to like it, it was Duck something or other), but I got the 10oz Dry Aged Rib-Eye w/fried onions & pepper sauce and two sides of Hand cut fries (yep, that's a copy/paste from their menu, I'd have just said 'steak and chips'). It was well done (the Rib-Eye, that is).

I have to admit, the portions of 'fries' were generous enough. The food itself was lovely. Id have ate two mains if I was able for it. It was very tasty and very filling. Really enjoyed it and genuinely rivals Bru (if not beating Bru). Will be curious to go back to Bru sometime soon to have a comparison. It was very filling and they didn't seem to scrimp at all (though a tad more pepper sauce probably wouldn't have hurt. There was enough for me, but I know people that would easily go through twice the amount I was given).

For dessert, I ordered a mix of ice cream and she got 'little pots of chocolate heaven'. I tasted her dessert (and she, mine) and both were nice. Chocolate pots of heaven (what a name) do tend to look a bit suspect (if you know what I mean) and although I wouldn't order it myself, she seemed to enjoy it.

The ice-cream was lovely. Very strong flavours off the ice cream. Not Tesco quality stuff, I'd assume.

I've read on here a bit that the staff are a bit obnoxious. I don't agree with that. I do have to admit that the service wasn't great at all in the place. A bit of a let down really (but they were busy, so maybe that's why). It did seem like you were forgotten about a fair bit, which isn't great when you want to order a drink without getting up and going over to the bar yourself (which I generally don't mind doing when with a few people, but not with just two people, as it means you're leaving the other person sitting alone like a plank).

That said, any encounters I actually did have with the staff were favorable. Didn't get any ego or any '2 kool 4 skool' type nonsense out of them (which I was expecting having read about them on here). All seemed like sound people.

Ultimately, like anywhere else, a lot of it will depend on your company. Thankfully, the lady I was with was great and easygoing so I really enjoyed it and had a great time. I know some people might have made a big deal about the table not being ready, 4 chairs, etc. and could ruin a night by going on about it, but she was brilliant and despite the minor flaws here and there, the food itself more than made up for it.

I can see why a lot of people would like the place, and on a quieter night it could likely shine quite well, but my (brief) experience of the venue itself would garner it a 'must try harder' verdict. That said, it was very affordable.

The total, which consisted of 2 mains and 2 desserts (all detailed above), along with 2 cokes and 2 glasses of white wine (shocked that there wasn't more drank to be honest, but did spend a bit of time waiting to get staff attention) came in at less than €65 (before tip). I genuinely expected it to cost a lot more (and I suppose it would have had there been more drank, but even then, I don't think it'd have jumped up too much more in price).

Would I return? Yes; but not with just 2 people. A minimum group of 4 would be needed to enjoy yourself in there, I think (and even at that, i think the table we were at would be a bit squashed with 4 plates/glasses/etc.)

If I had to rate Eastern Seaboard out of 10, I'd give it a solid 7. The core reason to go there (the food) was great, but there were too many little things that added up to take away from the overall experience.

If anyone actually read all of this: you deserve a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Tried Ajanta tonight. Had Aloo Ki Tikki, Veg Samosa, Chicken Mango Kambusca (or something like that) and corriander naan. Its nice food but I prefer Rupee and will stick with that from now on.

People have said alot about Ajanta and it was tasty but certainly didn't blow me away. I like that way you can see right into the kitchen.

Nice honest review KKV. You were seated side by side facing the same direction? I think I would have rearranged the seating myself or asked for it to be done.

Totally agree on the group of 4+ comment. Quiet and romantic it ain't. I haven't been in a while but I wasn't mad about the decor either. A bit 'industrial' looking I thought.

The food makes up for all that though!!!

Never had any problem with staff or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

TBH I've never really had cause for complaint about the staff in person, other than they are rushed and really never bother to look up and scan the room. More than once I've tried to get the eye of a server only to end up gesturing wildly to the host (usually for more butter for the bread:D)

I have however, on a few occasions, been on the other end of the phone trying to get a reservation and you can't help but sense the condescension when they say they're full or only seats at the bar. I really don't like that, an apologetic tone works far better. It usually means that when I do consider going out for a meal on a whim then ESB is the last place I'll consider due to the attitude I've previously received when trying to book. The food is good, but to be belittled for not making a reservation a week in advance just puts me off. I'd rather go to D'Vine or even the Black Bull for a steak rather than put up with that.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Nice honest review KKV. You were seated side by side facing the same direction? I think I would have rearranged the seating myself or asked for it to be done.

No, no. We were seated at a small(ish) square table, each side of it would sit one person, so we each had our own side of the table, but not opposing each other.

Pretty much, we sat at 45 degree angles from each other. It wasn't too bad to be honest, but it just initially felt a bit like we were thrown in any way we would fit.

• Advertisement

Was in D'vine with the parents yesterday, delicious, they had steaks and I had the falafel pizza, love the food/atmosphere there

was in cairns as well, was nice, good value

No, no. We were seated at a small(ish) square table, each side of it would sit one person, so we each had our own side of the table, but not opposing each other.

Pretty much, we sat at 45 degree angles from each other.
    Ohhhh, lol, yea that's not so bad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Great review KKV. Read it all. I would agree with most. The starters are lovely. The bbq ribs are just divine!

not a desert man myself because after your full stuffing sugar down there doesn't make much sense and I've wounded myself on several occassions.

ESB is very reminicent of a lively NY night out. The hard surfaces do make a bit loud but there are dozens of places elsewhere where you feel like you have to watch your voice because its so quite. ESB in that regard is great because it is busy and lively every night of the week. You can chill out and enjoy a fun easy going evening.

Agree on service though. It needs to be tightened up and drinks are where the money is so it seems odd they dont keep on top of that. Fallen foul to bad service a couple of times, recently it is better but like anything that relies on people can fluctuate wildly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Rossin wrote: »
    Was in D'vine with the parents yesterday, delicious, they had steaks and I had the falafel pizza, love the food/atmosphere there

Falafel pizza? Need to try this out!!!! :D

The pizzas in D'vine are epic!

I went to Ashanti last night. Ordered my favourite, chicken tikka masala. It was nice, certainly different...I don't think it was as nice as the one I get from Punjabi but they taste almost completely different!

The meal deal for 1 was good value(curry, rice, onion thingy, naan, can) for about 13.50(not sure exactly). which is about the price just the chicken tikka masala on its own in Punjabi, but I would normally share a punjabi meal with my oh as the portions are huge.

looking forward to trying a few more dishes and maybe a kebab or 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Expat here - ie from the town but not living there at the moment. Keep up the reviews guys I love reading them.

I usually end up heading to one of the places mentioned here every time I get back - my family are on about that new place up by Milmount is it Tower Grill? Anyone heard anything about it? Apparently it's worth a meal there for the views alone. Anyone guide me further on this?

My 2 cents Ming Garden is the nicest chinese restaurant I've been to not only in the town but ever. I crave it at all hours here and am always sure to stop by as soon as I get back home. Their curry is literally the best for me - Tangos is nice but it doesn't have the fire Ming has. Golden Bowl used to be fab years ago under their previous chef (who got into gambling trouble and last I heard was working in Dublin) but now wouldn't darken its door.

ESB went there once having read endless amount of debate on here. KKV's solid 7 is what I would give it. I experienced it on a quieter night and it was nice but wouldn't have me running back to it. Like KKV said in a group it would be better I reckon but to each their own.

There's a place out on the way to Dunleer that does a lovely Sunday dinner cant remember the name The Valley Inn? Fab there too! Parents love the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Expat here - ie from the town but not living there at the moment. Keep up the reviews guys I love reading them.

I usually end up heading to one of the places mentioned here every time I get back - my family are on about that new place up by Milmount is it Tower Grill? Anyone heard anything about it? Apparently it's worth a meal there for the views alone. Anyone guide me further on this?

My 2 cents Ming Garden is the nicest chinese restaurant I've been to not only in the town but ever. I crave it at all hours here and am always sure to stop by as soon as I get back home. Their curry is literally the best for me - Tangos is nice but it doesn't have the fire Ming has. Golden Bowl used to be fab years ago under their previous chef (who got into gambling trouble and last I heard was working in Dublin) but now wouldn't darken its door.

ESB went there once having read endless amount of debate on here. KKV's solid 7 is what I would give it. I experienced it on a quieter night and it was nice but wouldn't have me running back to it. Like KKV said in a group it would be better I reckon but to each their own.

There's a place out on the way to Dunleer that does a lovely Sunday dinner cant remember the name The something Inn? Fab there too! Parents love the place!

Monasterboice Inn :) AKA Donegans

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Monasterboice Inn :) AKA Donegans

No I've checked and it is definitely The Valley Inn.

Talking about Donegans the family went their for a communion do recently. It was a nice day and they were seated at a table which was in the direct line to the door.

So they were eating when one of the adults found a fly in his spuds relatively at the start of the meal. When the waitress came over she just said 'yeah there has been flies at that door all day it's unreal' No talk of a replacement, not as much as a free desert or drink to soften the blow. I was quite shocked at that just because although it may not be their fault it would have been common decency to organize something.

Donegans ain't cheap either. Growing up I remember it being the bees knees maybe with the good reputation after all these years they are getting complacent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Oh the Valley Inn- haven't beenthere. Not good about the fly - nobody wants a fly in their dinner. Reminds me of that joke where the waitress says 'don't keep waving it about or everyone will want one!' Ah no thanks! :/

Advertisement