Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

We had tea here yesterday . Absolutely beautiful place ( previously was an Indian )and the original classy outfit still looks good .
    Food was good all round , everybody njoyed pizzas pasta etc
    I thought the bollanaise was a bit dry but it was acceptable .
    Reasonably priced and the only blip was the cold service ( both male waitors ) no engagement chat interaction with adults or kids , and not too expensive either .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Meant to post this sooner but what's the story with getting a decent fry on a Sunday morning? Drove around the town 3 times last Sunday (about 11:00am) looking for a fry but nowhere open. (and they wonder why Drogheda has no tourism)

That place in beside the cinema - closed, the place down beside Wogans on the corner beside the Mariner - closed, even the big one on West Street, McCluskeys? - Closed. Ended up going in to that place on the Dublin Rd, Bia Cafe. It wasn't terrible but wasn't great either. Not the cleanest place and quiet overpriced.

Anyone recommend somewhere for a fry up on Sunday morning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Went for breakfast in the new Salthouse yesterday. So nice to have a place that does a decent Sunday morning breakfast! Took us ages to think of where to go! We were going to go to Aisha's but at 12.30, they were still not open :confused:

So Salthouse it was! And it was lovely! There is a nice selection on the menu from the normal fry up to omelettes, granola etc. Himself had the full Irish which looked nice and came with coffee and toast. I had the French toast with Bacon. Presentation was lovely. The toast came out topped with the bacon and then there was a side dish of berries, creme fraiche and maple syprup. It was very tasty indeed and the bacon was not salty at all, slightly greasy but I can live with that :P

The downsides were that his toast came out cold and my tea was not tea. They are using Suki teas. They are just not tea, it's that horrible breakfast tea that even if you left it for two hours, it would still resemble dirty dishwater. Give me a cup of Lyon's or Barrys any day. Other than that, it was very nice though and the staff were very pleasant and service was prompt. It's a bit on the dear side - 18euro for Breakfasts but nice for a treat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

The old Salthouse had a delicious Breakfast Crepe on the menu, it seems to have vanished now since the move to the new premises, pity as it was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    The downsides were that his toast came out cold and my tea was not tea. They are using Suki teas. They are just not tea, it's that horrible breakfast tea that even if you left it for two hours, it would still resemble dirty dishwater. Give me a cup of Lyon's or Barrys any day. Other than that, it was very nice though and the staff were very pleasant and service was prompt. It's a bit on the dear side - 18euro for Breakfasts but nice for a treat. :D

Hate those Suki teas - Esquires (which I love for a coffee and the staff are great) also sell Suki tea, yuk. It seems to be marketed as 'real' tea for tea lovers though :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

Was in the Pizzeria (once of Peter Street but now relocated to Clogherhead) for the second time since they relocated. I live in Clogherhead so it's a real treat to have such a place just down the road. I had the garlic mushrooms for starter, basically button mushrooms quartered and cooked in garlic - not stuffed and covered with breadcrumbs - really delicious. My wife had the calamari and though the batter looked paler than you would expect she said it was the best she'd tasted in quite some time. For mains I had the Margherita pizza with extra olives, might not be adventurous but he does such fantastic pizzas that no matter what I see on the menu I always end up having this, superb as always. My wife had the pasta with prawns in a white wine sauce with cherry tomatoes, she was in heaven and the number of prawns was substantial. Desserts tend to be the pre-frozen ice creams you often see in Italian restaurants but he also offers his own Tiramisu, which I had, and selections of Ice Cream, my wife had two scoops of hazelnut and one of black cherry. Tiramisu was light and fluffy and just what I wanted and the portion of ice cream was substantial and delicious. Ordered a bottle of the house white which was really good too. Couldn't fault the place. The whole meal for two came to €65 and were given a couple of shots of Sambuca to finish off.

Jean-Claude had just completed the 10K run in Clogherhead in 40 mins just before he started work for the evening - you really wouldn't have believed it to look at him as he seemed totally unflustered. Remarkable man. I'd like to tell you all it was awful so there would always be a table free for me when I wanted but I can't, I really love that place and highly recommend it to you all.

A quick note on Salt, I used to like the old Salthouse when I remembered it was there but it's location meant I often forgot about it when looking for somewhere for lunch. Went to the new place last Thursday when in town and had a simple lunch, asked if they could switch the eggs benedict (with bacon) for eggs florentine (with spinach) which they were happy to do. Enjoyed it as much as I did in the old place. The menu's not as extensive and I second the previous poster in bemoaning the loss of the crepes which were lovely but I'm glad they are in a more central location and wish them the best of luck. They do need to fix their door though as it never seems to shut properly so if you're sitting next to it you'll notice the draught - something that's only going to get worse when we leave summer!

Oh, and I quite liked the Suki tea but that may be because I drink my tea black, adding milk probably means it never brews deep enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

"Was in the Pizzeria (once of Peter Street but now relocated to Clogherhead) for the second time since they relocated"

Where abouts in Clogherhead is this spot? Is it a sit down place or a take away?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Don't like that owner of that pizza place always found him quite abrupt and felt as though we where rushed out of his restaurant NEVER went back!!

What's the New one like that's supposed to be opening and is there a new Italian in bryanstown manor??

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

"Was in the Pizzeria (once of Peter Street but now relocated to Clogherhead) for the second time since they relocated"

Where abouts in Clogherhead is this spot? Is it a sit down place or a take away?

It's at the bottom of Clogherhead Main Street, it's a sit down restaurant - he used to do takeaway in Peter Street but I haven't noticed him doing it here.

As to him being rude or abrupt, I've certainly heard that from others but he's always been fine when I've been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

for breakfast, i think the best place is foleys in castlebellingham- i know its not in drogheda but worth the spin... also not in drogheda went to the new restaraunt at the brink- other side of slane-, its called the peacock, we had dinner there absolutely gorgeous and nice staff, had smallies with us and all was grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

It's at the bottom of Clogherhead Main Street, it's a sit down restaurant - he used to do takeaway in Peter Street but I haven't noticed him doing it here.

As to him being rude or abrupt, I've certainly heard that from others but he's always been fine when I've been there.

Yes hes a grumpy git, but thats part of the character of the pizzeria for years !
    he is still full every night so he must`nt be too scary ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Yeah cranky ole git see there's another one there in drogheda when that opening

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Was in the famous Pizzeria in Clogherhead for the first time this evening. I know why its famous now, its top class with great value for money . Cant wait to go back !

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Was in the famous Pizzeria in Clogherhead for the first time this evening. I know why its famous now, its top class with great value for money . Cant wait to go back !

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

I was at La Pizzeria in Clogherhead last night as part of a large birthday group. I split the calamari with another guest for a starter, and it was very nice. Perfect amount of crispiness and chewiness, and decent plate size. The garlic pizza bread looked very nice, but I didn't like the look of the garlic mushrooms. They were not coated in breadcrumbs and stuffed as you might expect, just small button mushrooms chopped and cooked in garlic butter. I'm sure they were nice, but I wouldn't say the value was there.

For the main course, I got a Margherita with mushrooms. While the toppings didn't seem to be spread properly, the taste more than made up for it; absolutely one of the best pizzas I've ever had in my life. I swapped a quarter of my pizza for a Napoletena (garlic + oregano) with another guest, and the taste was also spot on. That particular pizza was very difficult to eat though, the bottom of the slices didn't have any structure and had to be folded over. I heard the lasagne and steak (which was huge) on offer were very nice too.

The waiting times were the main damper on the night. It was a 20 minute wait for drinks, followed by another 40 minutes before we got starters. It was then well over an hour before main courses were sent out (all at the same time) and they certainly weren't rushing to bring the bill out. It was a very long night, and unfortunately the AC wasn't working properly. It definitely encouraged you to buy more of their beer, Peroni (which was nice, but a tad steep at €4.90 a bottle).

Can improvements be made? Yep! The place only relocated to Clogherhead recently, and many of the problems can be attributed to it being a busy night. If Jean-Claude delegates some of the pizza making work to others, and hires some more waitstaff; it could be top class. As it stands though, it's still a fabulous place that I'd have no trouble recommending to anyone. For two people, sharing a starter, 2 mains and 4 beers for under €50 with such quality food isn't easy these days. The complementary sambuca shots are the cherry on top!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Kind of "restaurant" related, but can anyone recommend a good chipper on the south side of town?

The quality of some of the chips we are getting is horrendous as of late; the chips from Wheaton Hall are unbelievable (in that we usually dump 3/4 of the bag because of all the bad chips) and Mullens aren't awe inspiring either.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

Kind of "restaurant" related, but can anyone recommend a good chipper on the south side of town?

The quality of some of the chips we are getting is horrendous as of late; the chips from Wheaton Hall are unbelievable (in that we usually dump 3/4 of the bag because of all the bad chips) and Mullens aren't awe inspiring either.
    I'd recommend trying Tony's in Ballsgrove. Best chipper on the south side in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The black bull opened its new cocktail bar and have started doing a tapas menu there, so sat in the beer garden and got some food.

It's not a huge selection. Meatballs, prawns, chorizo, garlic potatoe, breads and a cured meat and figs plate with olives and dips.

But the bits we had were good! Very good!

Very reasonable too. Nice for a light bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Tried La Pizzeria in Clogherhead tonight and was well impressed with the food. For starters we had Garlic bread with cheese and prawns in garlic & chilli and both had pizzas, mine was the atina with prawns, peppers and pineapple, an odd combination but it tasted divine. He had the quattro stagione which he said was gorgeous (I don't eat artichoke or olives so didn't taste). A half bottle of wine and the bill was only €47. It was quite busy but we didn't have to wait too long for starters or mains. Will definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

It's worth a spin across the boyne to Roma on Georges St.
    Savage chips and the portions are huge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

kbell wrote: »

I agree with this but it has a downside too in that they can be ridiculously slow at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

markc1184 wrote: »
    I agree with this but it has a downside too in that they can be ridiculously slow at times.
    yes, but at least you can see the food being cooked in front of you.... great value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I've heard the Roma is good, haven't been. I believe the fish is good so must check it out as it seems impossible to get a good "fresh" fresh cod in Drogheda and not one that's at least a week old.

Is it better than Dominics? I'd imagine it's had an affect on their business being across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

PGE1970 wrote: »
    I've heard the Roma is good, haven't been. I believe the fish is good so must check it out as it seems impossible to get a good "fresh" fresh cod in Drogheda and not one that's at least a week old.

Is it better than Dominics? I'd imagine it's had an affect on their business being across the road.

Dominics quality and taste is good however they have upped their prices in the past few weeks, not impressed with that.

Roma is excellent value if your feeding a family for an evening treat,the deals and portions are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Plus one for Roma. The chips are lovely and portions are huge! A bag of chips would do three!

On the downside, they can be slow & also, their delivery drivers are seriously annoying! They keep parking directly outside the chipper, completely blocking the road. Nearly came to fisty cuffs with one of them one day who drove up to the lights, then proceeded to get out (while the light turned green) and made to go in to collect an order! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Similarly, have ye seen the manoeuvres of the Domino's drivers as they attempt to return to/ leave the yard behind them?
    Driving the wrong way up Mary st being one I've seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Similarly, have ye seen the manoeuvres of the Domino's drivers as they attempt to return to/ leave the yard behind them?
    Driving the wrong way up Mary st being one I've seen!
    lol thats nothing to those of us who remember the damn cranes coming in and out of there

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

Quality wrote: »
    The black bull opened its new cocktail bar and have started doing a tapas menu there, so sat in the beer garden and got some food.

It's not a huge selection. Meatballs, prawns, chorizo, garlic potatoe, breads and a cured meat and figs plate with olives and dips.

But the bits we had were good! Very good!

Very reasonable too. Nice for a light bite.

We tried out the new cocktail in the black bull and had 5 of the tapas between us last night; I have to agree with poster above, not much choice but very good indeed. We had 5 tapas, 2 pints of beer, and half a bottle of wine, the bill came to € 47, I will go again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

PGE1970 wrote: »

I gave up on getting "fresh cod". Last time I got "fresh cod" in Wheaton Hall it was absolute muck. I would normally go there on a Wednesday night every week. Went the following Wednesday, just ordered chips and told one of the staff there that the cod I had got previous week was muck. Haven't been back since. That's the guts of €400 chopped from their annual turnover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Mylow wrote: »
    I gave up on getting "fresh cod". Last time I got "fresh cod" in Wheaton Hall it was absolute muck. I would normally go there on a Wednesday night every week. Went the following Wednesday, just ordered chips and told one of the staff there that the cod I had got previous week was muck. Haven't been back since. That's the guts of €400 chopped from their annual turnover.

I got the 5 euro Wednesday special fresh cod fillet + chips from Roma last week and I have to say it was delicious, could not have been tastier.
    Give that a try and see what you think.

Advertisement