Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭positron

Dingatron wrote: »
    All these posts are now putting me off booking a table.

Couldn't agree more! A few posts are obviously ads from interested parties and that totally put me off from trying them out.

itsthat - you gave out about the place already? And your post count is 1, which is the above post? It clearly shows you posted with another user name - which pretty much sums up the issue here.

Shame to see vested interests ruining a very useful thread. May be the mods can take a look and clean up a few of these posts..!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've been following this thread from the off. There are no proven links between any posters that have contributed here so far.
    If there's a problem with a post please report it otherwise all i can do without links is close the thread, i don't want to do that. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I agree. When you see someone with only one post posting like that it makes you wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭positron

I agree, locking the thread would be a shame! I guess anyone who comes across threads like these should take it all reviews with a pinch of salt, but then again, I think there are a few posters that stands out here.

'Kinda' - Total posts: 3. In this thread: 3. All praising Eastern.
    'Pipsie_Pie' & 'Dissy' - Total posts: 1. In this thread: 1. Praising Eastern.

Few posts praising Eastern from 'Wurpy' but she has clearly stated she's family to EasternSB, so that's honesty that I can live with.

Anyway, coming back to the the main thread - any recommendations on delivery services?

Search for 'Drogheda Restaurant Reviews' on google.ie and this thread is the second link. People may be just searching the net for info on restaurants and find this thread, decide to add there opinion never to return. Who knows..

Any reviews you read online about anything should be taken with a pinch of salt, they're all open to abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Went to Romanza with a mate during the week for lunch. They have a special lunch rate of €8.95 which includes a main dish and glass of wine/soft drink. We got a pizza prosciutto and tagliattelle dish, shared the two dishes, both were lovely. What a price! Obviously we didn't look for any change back from a tenner (you'd want to be a total scab). Great value.

Would really recommend this place, but (there's always a but!) the tables were a little too close together for my liking and if anyone sits near you there is very little privacy. Overall very impressed, for that price you can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Harry Tasker

Very interesting opinions on the restaurants in Drogheda!! Here's one for you all, which I have to share with you!

My wife and I went to Scholars Hotel to their restaurant for a meal in the afternoon, bringing along our two kiddies both under 3!! Now, we used to frequent Scholars restaurant a lot 'cause we liked the ambiance, the people and the food.

When we ordered our meal, we were asked would we like something for the children and we asked for ONE portion of Sausage & Chips for them. We were going to share that between them.

When it came, there were 2 sausages and some chips. Can you imagine our amazement when we were charged €11.50 for that one plate of sausage & chips??? Not only that but when my wife complained, the restaurant manager kinda laughed & said it has always been that price!! On further complaint, they appear to have conceded and reduced the price to €8.00 but only after we had to ring and complain to a higher authority! We still had to fork out the €11.50!

So if you're going somewhere with the children count out Scholars - much to pricey for the kids! We've been to numerous restaurants in Drogheda and the most we've ever been charged has been €5.00!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rachelryan29

Went this evening to the Eastern seaboard and thought it was FANTASTIC.. so reasonable (60 euro for 2 starters, 3 mains, 1 desert and mineral drinks) and SOOOO tasty.. unusual items on the menu, ones that i love, such as roasted sweet potato wedges, and complimentary bread is brought to the table. YUM!!

Would definitely recommend it..

LOVE Indus too. Bryanstown great spot to live in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

I was in the Eastern Seaboard on Monday, and twas... interesting! Maybe the bare walls etc are a good design concept, esp in these recessionary times etc but I was really cold through the whole meal :( I understand it is a large space, but I couldn't really relax cos of the temperature:(
    Food wise, also interesting- there were some mad things on the menu (no I can't remember any of them now:o ), it was nice to have a change from the usual fare. The fresh, warm bread on the table was gorgeous! We all got steak and twas lovely, and the sweet potato wedges & roasted carrots were particularly yum!

Just close by, the Indus is tasty too, though a little expensive. I've only ever gotten take away, so I don't know what the atmosphere in there is like. Food is lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 brenchman

black bull is alway rock solidly great, its a tasty bastard so it is, wit massive portions and very reasonable, its always busy, indus is bloomin class aswell in the begining it was very pricey but they have brought the prices way down the portions are just right they may look small but i'm always stuffed, atmos music is a bit odd. eastern sea board was not very good at all but i suppose these places will always have teething problems. boiled onion was the best place in town but last time we went ages ago it was terrible all the good staff were gone and replaced with glum drones the food plummeted in quality also, dunno what its like now tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ladyc

As we are new in the county we decided to try some restaurants as recommended by you:
    Earlier in the week went to bia cafe for breakfast,I have to say I was impressed by both the food and the service ,will definitely return.:)

Later on in the week went to the black bull for lunch,place was packed though I am not surprised as the food and service was excellent.The waiteress alone was very helpfull and efficient,that alone would make me want to return.After viewing the a la carte menu I will definitely return for dinner and a few drinks.:)

After doing some shopping at the weekend in the m1 retail park,decided to have lunch in Sizzles.I have to say from the time we ate until the time we left it was awful.After been seated we waited 5 minutes for a menu to be brought to the table and waited a further 10 minutes for a different waiteress to take our order.She wasn't very helpfull or pleasant.When our food finally arrived it was cold and reheated,as I am not one to complain we just left.Will never return here as both the food and service is terrible.:eek:

Can anyone recommend a good chinese restaurant in the town?

ladyc wrote: »
    A

After doing some shopping at the weekend in the m1 retail park,decided to have lunch in Sizzles.I have to say from the time we ate until the time we left it was awful.After been seated we waited 5 minutes for a menu to be brought to the table and waited a further 10 minutes for a different waiteress to take our order.She wasn't very helpfull or pleasant.When our food finally arrived it was cold and reheated,as I am not one to complain we just left.Will never return here as both the food and service is terrible.:eek:

Can anyone recommend a good chinese restaurant in the town?

Heard that about Sizzles havent tried it myself but heard bad things about it.
    Tangos on the Rathmullen road at the leisure centre is gorgeous for a chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 itsthat

positron wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more! A few posts are obviously ads from interested parties and that totally put me off from trying them out.

itsthat - you gave out about the place already? And your post count is 1, which is the above post? It clearly shows you posted with another user name - which pretty much sums up the issue here.

Shame to see vested interests ruining a very useful thread. May be the mods can take a look and clean up a few of these posts..!

I am confused with whats going on here, I posted a comment giving out about a resturant and for some reason I am being told I should not do this!!! Is this not a page to express my views, once again I am very confused

im giving out about the place, what are you getting at????????????????????????? strange
    I am confused with whats going on here, I posted a comment giving out about a resturant and for some reason I am being told I should not do this!!! Is this not a page to express my views, once again I am very confused

Your Only posts so where is the post that you commented about the restaurant? Means you posted under a different user name so very suspect.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Was at sizzlers myself recently, and have to agree with others, it was terrible.

gonker wrote: »
    Your Only posts so where is the post that you commented about the restaurant? Means you posted under a different user name

No it doesn't. It could mean a number of things. I can tell you that the user hasn't posted in this thread under another username.

itsthat can explain it (or allow me to) if s/he wishes other than that you can all leave the modding to the mods thanks.

No it doesn't. It could mean a number of things. I can tell you that the user hasn't posted in this thread under another username.

itsthat can explain it (or allow me to) if s/he wishes other than that you can all leave the modding to the mods thanks.

first of all, thank you, why would i bother giving out about a place under different user names??? my original comment posted for about 2 hours and then was taken off, im fed up with these people saying i have it in for that restaurant, if use people had read my post you would have seen that i said some positive things aswell !!!!!! the negativity and suspicious freak outs with this forum is really putting me of!!!!!!

gonker wrote: »
    Your Only posts so where is the post that you commented about the restaurant? Means you posted under a different user name so very suspect.

you are for certain a narrow minded person

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dubdee

Dingatron wrote: »
    I believe Harry's Grill closed its doors for the last time on Monday or Tuesday night. Pity as I had a nice meal there before. Best of luck to their staff in the future!

Don't know what you're talking about. Harry's is open - I just passed by!

You gave me quite a fright earlier - it's one of my favourite places to eat in Drogheda at the moment. Small menu of well cooked food, lovely staff - nice & homely. Go there a lot and never disappointed.

Yes it's still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ladyc

Glad to hear it's still open ,I believe they do a gr8 steak at Harry's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I do like the black bull, but I feel it is overpriced as it is "Pub Grub". Its always busy though, Sunday late afternoon you can be prepared to wait up to 45 mins. But it is worth the wait!

Eastern Seaboard is nice for a meal and very reasonably priced. I have only been there once, but I enjoyed the food the service was good and the toilets were clean! The only thing I didnt like was the menu. Typing too small and the clipboard was a bit weird. Unfortunately we were seated on the high stool. We had two kids and a baby with us, there were plenty of other seats that were vacant but reserved. But I shall book before I go up the next time. For the four of us (inc kids) including a drink each it was under €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Harry's was closed I think on Wed or Thursday night but we passed by again on Saturday night and it was opened, so perhaps its just opening for the weekend from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Had a Sunday lunch in Tom Hanrattys on Sunday and it was quite nice. Definitely will try it on a weekend night for the normal menu.

Definitely will try it on a weekend night for the normal menu

They don't do a normal menu midweek, they have a special menu where by it's €55 for 2 people. The menu is quite nice. On friday and Saturday I believe they then use their normal menu.

After reading a lot of reports on here about Tango's I plumped last night to give it a shot. I'm not mad about eating out in a chinese restaurant but I have to say a big thank you to everyone who gave good vibes about the place. It is absolutely delicious and such a warm beautiful place to dine not to mention the over friendly staff. There was a fair crowd there but not busy. We went for the €19 all you can eat. The food is just fantastic, I mean totally mouthwatering.

To anyone who has been considering going, please do. They do the €19 all you can from Monday - Thursday.

Just 1 thing noticeable thing is the price of things on the take out menu, chicken curry €9 compared to €7 in most places. Everything on the menu is overpriced by a euro or 2 but then again when I asked the other half if she would pay €9 for the chicken curry take out she said dead right I would.

Top marks for Tango, it's heaven for any chinese lovers.

Glad you liked it. It really is gorgeous. And I only live 5 minutes walk away:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Finally got down to The Eastern Seaboard to see what all the fuss is about last Sunday. On short notice we rang at 11 and booked a table for 1 PM for 2 adults and 2 kids. Arrived in to be greeted by pleasant staff and were seated and the kids were presented with colouring pages which was great to keep them occupied. Service was quick and had no problems getting attention from any of the staff.

I had the Sweet Potato wedges for starters and the Pork with creamy mash and spinach for main course washed down with an Erdinger. The rest of the family went for the vegetarian option's and we were all well fed. The food was second to none and it was a refreshing menu.

Loved the décor and have no issue with the quirky menu's (more interested in good food than the trappings myself) Looks like a nice spot to spend a lazy afternoon with a few beers and good company. And in the immortal words of Arnie 'I will be back'. ;)

Thanks for that Dingatron:D I might try it now:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Famous45 wrote: »
    After reading a lot of reports on here about Tango's I plumped last night to give it a shot. I'm not mad about eating out in a chinese restaurant but I have to say a big thank you to everyone who gave good vibes about the place. It is absolutely delicious and such a warm beautiful place to dine not to mention the over friendly staff. There was a fair crowd there but not busy. We went for the €19 all you can eat. The food is just fantastic, I mean totally mouthwatering.

To anyone who has been considering going, please do. They do the €19 all you can from Monday - Thursday.

Just 1 thing noticeable thing is the price of things on the take out menu, chicken curry €9 compared to €7 in most places. Everything on the menu is overpriced by a euro or 2 but then again when I asked the other half if she would pay €9 for the chicken curry take out she said dead right I would.

Top marks for Tango, it's heaven for any chinese lovers.

Have to say that I had a meal in Tango last month - I hyped it up to the lady friend to the heavens after what I'd read about it here - and it was frankly a huge disappointment.

It wasnt not-nice - it just wasn't spectacular. I had a chilli chicken dish which was nothing better than mediocre. And the place was eerily quiet for what was 8pm on a Saturday night, to the point of being offputting.

• Advertisement

I can understand that getting a certain dish you are used might not taste the equivalent elsewhere. It's disappointing and I can fully understand as i went to this certain place many months ago on the 1st night it was spectacular told the family and everything went the next night with them and it was a disaster and the time after that, I called it a day with the place then.

I have to say though that for the 19 euro all you can eat menu at tangos, we had honey ribs, they were huge and the tastiest Ive ever had, crispy duck, chicken wings and prawn toast. Main course we had chicken curry, chicken in black bean sauce, seafood with hot garlic sauce and beef chow mein, now the seafood wasnt the greatest nor was the blackbean but we never had blackbean before so we just thought about trying it, but for everything else it was delicious.

Perhaps return during the week for the 19 euro all you can eat.

Advertisement