Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I know it's not in Drogheda but might be of interest to locals.

Had a fantastic meal last night in the recently opened Goose Restaurant and Wine Bar in Ardee.

The place had a few teething problems with staff when it opened but all that looked to be over as the entire experience was faultless.

Can't recommend the place enough. It's not cheap (although there is an early bird menu available throughout the week) but it's genuinely up there with the best restaurants in Louth, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

I know its not a restaurant but ive been ordering from Kitchen Legend once every week or two weeks for the last year or so and i've never once had a problem with the food, its always been perfect and nothings ever been left out of the order, never left waiting for the order either, its always on time and staff are really nice. The portions are huge and always tastes lovely. Ive not got a bad thing to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

I know its not a restaurant but ive been ordering from Kitchen Legend once every week or two weeks for the last year or so and i've never once had a problem with the food, its always been perfect and nothings ever been left out of the order, never left waiting for the order either, its always on time and staff are really nice. The portions are huge and always tastes lovely. Ive not got a bad thing to say about them.

Totally Agree best in the town love it great fresh food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Nicest Chinese in Louth and agree portions are huge and very very tasty..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone know whats up with Zuzu's in Southgate? The small cafe place? Been shut up the last twice I've went and worry its gone bust :(

Wasn't the greatest food but was simple and well priced. Loved going when I just wanted a solid lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Anyone know whats up with Zuzu's in Southgate? The small cafe place? Been shut up the last twice I've went and worry its gone bust :(

Wasn't the greatest food but was simple and well priced. Loved going when I just wanted a solid lunch.[/QUOT

No credit card machine since it opened !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

It's closed for good.

Food was simple and arguably underpriced, but as mentioned already the lack of card facilities would not have helped, a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭furiousox

Maria's on Laurence St also closed and up for sale.

CPL 593H

It's closed for good.

Food was simple and arguably underpriced, but as mentioned already the lack of card facilities would not have helped, a right pain.

Thats annoying :( Never noticed the card issue cause I'd always just use cash, but can see why that would annoy some.

Shame. Its in a good location, and provided an alternative to the one beside it which I've always disliked.

Gonna have to find a new decently priced, but nicely prepared cafe. I'll miss their Eggs Benedict and their Hot Chocolates (which were, for my money, one of the nicest I've ever had :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

New Japanese spot on Trinity St, anyone been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

It's closed for good.

Thats my 2 fave cafes gone in 2 weeks, zuzu and the one in sonairte.
    Retried the cafe in smithstown this week as a result and id give it the thumbs up. Fry was nice, good coffee. Burgers looked good. Slow getting food out though and it was quiet at the time. I wouldn't like to see it when its busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dubdee

New Japanese spot on Trinity St, anyone been?

Really nice. Been twice now. Price is reasonable and they throw in some extras , cocktail before dinner and fresh fruit after. Everything we had was very tasty, even the kids liked the sushi. Well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

enricoh wrote: »
    Thats my 2 fave cafes gone in 2 weeks, zuzu and the one in sonairte.

Sonairte is a great loss, such a shame it had to close down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,359 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

went to the Glenside Hotel last Sunday week for a carvery. They are under new management so decided to give them a go. Wasn't a pleasant experience.

Staff were lovely mind you.

I happen to really dislike onions. I'm not alone in that but I am in the minority, I know that.

I went up and ordered and wanted some mash and veg. They had carrots and cabbage in separate containers - fine. I'll have some of them please.

As she scouped the carrots up, I noticed something in with them. I thought it was sea salt - turns out to be onions. I ask for them to be taken off the plate please. (For those that like onions, their flavour gets on everything they touch so it wasn't a case of eating around them).

As she goes to scoup up the cabbage - guess what? There are some in there too.

I take my very small meal down to my table.

I ask about desserts as I am still hungry and go for the sticky toffee. It turns out to be a very cold dish with a drizzle of toffee sauce. Didn't finish that.

So, an unfortunate experience overall :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hiya, im surprised that you got a bad meal in the glenside as I was actually there for grub last sunday week and loved it.
    We didnt go carvery mind, had 4 course for e25. We were there for a family do, everyone was on different starters and mains and no one got a dud. Would go back for the passion fruit dessert alone! Was just in the bar for a drink before food and saw the carvery there.
    Small carvery portions wont do me though, so ill avoid til I hear better reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

everlast75 wrote: »
    went to the Glenside Hotel last Sunday week for a carvery. They are under new management so decided to give them a go. Wasn't a pleasant experience.

I happen to really dislike onions. I'm not alone in that but I am in the minority, I know that.

I went up and ordered and wanted some mash and veg. They had carrots and cabbage in separate containers - fine. I'll have some of them please.

As she scouped the carrots up, I noticed something in with them. I thought it was sea salt - turns out to be onions. I ask for them to be taken off the plate please. (For those that like onions, their flavour gets on everything they touch so it wasn't a case of eating around them).

I ask about desserts as I am still hungry and go for the sticky toffee. It turns out to be a very cold dish with a drizzle of toffee sauce. Didn't finish that.

At least there were no onions in it..... :rolleyes:

The little cafe place up by Tesco does a savage breakfast roll for €5.50. Two sausgaes, two rashers, two eggs, on a roll cut in two (and a little bit of salad thrown on the side).

The rest of the stuff looks a tad dear, or at least its expensive in relation to the breakfast role. But the breakfast roll is really nice and a great price for the quality and quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Its called Lemonade, I really like it, it is dear though. The Bap Special they have is class but it's a tenner before you've gotten a drink

Knew it had "Lemon" in its name but couldn't place it :P

My go too meals at the moment

Corkscrew in Tullyallen, best burgers in the Drogheda region, honorable mention to The Cross
    Kings - Chicken wrap with mango & cucumber salad, i dont even like mango or cucumber but somehow this works and is delicious, also bonus that its healthy although that's not my priority!
    The Lime Kiln - Beef Brisket burger, I'm a sucker for slow cooked beef, nice purple slaw on it as well, only grievance is the last time we were there our chips weren't cooked enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Its called Lemonade, I really like it, it is dear though. The Bap Special they have is class but it's a tenner before you've gotten a drink

I work right near here and it's such a shame that it's so pricey.
    I'd love to be able to walk over for my lunch but I can't afford it!
    I got a fab bagel in there once but it was €9, takeaway. That was without a drink or any side salad etc.

The guy that runs it is a bit in your face too. Last time I was in there he was waffling on at the till about how fresh their food is, make sure we spread the word, asking us to like them on Facebook etc - I just wanted to eat my lunch!

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I work right near here and it's such a shame that it's so pricey.
    I'd love to be able to walk over for my lunch but I can't afford it!
    I got a fab bagel in there once but it was €9, takeaway. That was without a drink or any side salad etc.

The guy that runs it is a bit in your face too. Last time I was in there he was waffling on at the till about how fresh their food is, make sure we spread the word, asking us to like them on Facebook etc - I just wanted to eat my lunch!

Very fresh to me is made right in front of you, not pre-made. The salads are lovely though. It's closest cafe to me but I'll go there very rarely for the same reason. €9 for a bagel, €9.50 for a bap :o (for those that havent been its only the specials that cost that much,I dont know how much it is if you pick your own ingredients and unfortunately the specials are bloody lovely so there's no way im not ordering them if ive made it that far :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

Visited the Loft Cafe today for lunch and was very impressed. Well located opposite St Peter's Church, the upstairs area has nice seating and a good view for people watching.

The food is all Italian, pizzas,paninis and gelato. Had a pizza and a hot chocolate which were both very nice. I thought the prices were very reasonable given the location and decor. I'll definitely be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭gipi

everlast75 wrote: »

I visit the carvery there regularly, and have been several times since the change in management (and chef). Always a good meal, and, since the changeover, the service has improved immensely.

There appears to be 2 chefs, perhaps on rotation on Sundays. I noticed that one of the chefs does seem to be putting onion in the veg, but the other doesn't. It wasn't a feature under the previous regime.

I do wish they would change their veg from time to time - kinda tired of the standard offering of carrot (which I like) and cabbage (which I hate!), with or without onions!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Tried Nikko Japanese. It was absolutely delicious! Complimentary green tea and a glass of some sort of fruity alcoholic drink. Sushi was fab, as were the dumplings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

Not a 'restaurant' (flaunting the rules, again!) but decided to order a quick takeaway in Noodlebox for their bento box as advertised, and still on their facebook page. But turns out it's gone because it was 'too messy'? I saw somebody on Facebook say Noodlebox was miles better than Kanoodle but really? I was gutted we even bothered ordering tonight - food was mediocre at best, but in my opinion not in the same league as Kanoodle at all.
    Disgruntled take away customer >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Went for a boozy brunch in Richmond Fort (on top of Millmount) and it was very nice.

We were seated in the conservatory, and started with a couple of cocktails (a tom collins for herself and a nicely spiced bloody mary for me) before ordering the burger (her) and the Boyne Fry (me).

Her verdict on the burger was that it was one of the best she had, but the duck fat chips were nothing special - good chunky home-made specimens and nothing really wrong them, but nothing special either.

My Boyne Fry consisted of half a pig in the form of the a pork chop.....along with a couple of sausages, two eggs, white and black puddings, a frisbee of a portobello mushroom and some lovely ripe grilled tomatoes. It came with two pieces of Guinness bread with bacon butter.

Absolutely no complaints from me - it was hearty and tasty, and the only 'complaint' I had was that presentation (it arrives in pan!!) was a bit awkward on our small table.

The staff were very good - nice friendly service and nice chat. Offered us the option of moving downstairs to the cosy library bar to finish our coffee, but we were happy to remain in the buzz!

A duo were playing some live music in the inner part of the restaurant and it created a nice vibe.

In terms of booking, we arrived about 12:30 and it was quiet enough, but by 1pm there were a few larger parties in, so you may get away without booking but if you want a seat in the conservatory you more than likely need to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I didn't know RF we're doing Sunday Brunch sittings. Thought it was all just group/event bookings. This is interesting...might have to pay it a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Has anyone tried the Boyne Pantry?

• Advertisement

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Boyne Pantry?

Tried the burger, as i do everywhere. It was okay, the other dishes around me looked nicer. Corkscrew still the best in the area for burgers by a long shot.

Advertisement