Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Boyne Pantry?

Had a breakfast there a few weeks ago and it was quite good - good enough to earn a return visit :D

the only complaint I had was that they forgot the toast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Oooh speaking of breakfast, my new spot is Sage and Stone on the Julianstown/Duleek road.

Very, very good.

I'm looking for a restaurant to go to on Thursday night, however after looking at the Boyne Pantry menu online I don't think I'll be choosing there.
    I might pop in for lunch one day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Discovered Kanoodle last week. Oh yes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Discovered Kanoodle last week. Oh yes!

I do love their food but it feels very expensive for what it is sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

Recently tried Macaris in Bryanstown. I love a nice chicken fillet kebab tray so I decided to order that. To say I was disappointed is an uunderstatement. The tray it comes in is tiny- the same size as a plastic tray you might get rice in from a Chinese. At €8.00 I have not felt so ripped off in a long time.

If your looking for a nice chicken kebab tray try the chipper in Clogherhead, nice little seating area in it too.

I also recently tried Macaris in James St. The chips are the best in town and the other items looks good also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

Tried Boyne Pantry, no complaints re food or service however, seems a little pricey for what it is. Had two brunch paninis, two coffees & it came to almost €30?! I don’t mind paying for good food...but it was just a panini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

DDad2009 wrote: »
    Tried Boyne Pantry, no complaints re food or service however, seems a little pricey for what it is. Had two brunch paninis, two coffees & it came to almost €30?! I don’t mind paying for good food...but it was just a panini.

I agree with you there, overpriced " celtic tiger boom " era food /prices back in full flow in a lot of places now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I tried the burger, it was okay, not great. I'll stick to the Corkscrew for my burgers. Kings is still my fave for breakfast/lunch. I'm not really pushed on any other places right now, could do with something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭PGE1970

DDad2009 wrote: »

Crazy prices. Even if their USP is locally sourced produce etc, I doubt that there are enough customers in Drogheda who will pay almost €15 for a coffee and a sandwich to keep them going.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Was in Aisha last weekend.

Starters came quick enough but quite slow with the mains. Nonetheless it was absolutely delicious.

Was busy which is great to see.

• Advertisement

Bare food for breakfast, nice eggs benidict, the couches are a nice touch, will be back to try more

Salthouse. I like the breakfast here but had a disappointing lunch, both me and the missus felt fairly meh about our dishes. Will stick to kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,424 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Not exactly Drogheda but went to Forgefield farm in Termonfeckin for breakfast. 10 out of ten

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

whelan2 wrote: »
    Not exactly Drogheda but went to Forgefield farm in Termonfeckin for breakfast. 10 out of ten

Is that tea rooms/cafe or a restaurant? Drove past it a few time but never ventured in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,424 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cast Iron wrote: »
    Is that tea rooms/cafe or a restaurant? Drove past it a few time but never ventured in.
    Does breakfast /lunch afaik. Only ever had breakfast. Got steak in the butchers there on the way out and it was fab too, had it for tea. There's a gift shop and farm shop /butchers there too

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Eastern Seaboard twice recently. Brunch was excellent, real quality food, pretty good value as well. Back the following week for lunch but the lamb didn't match my expectations, everyone else was more than happy maybe I was just being fussy. One thing I think they should address is those chairs, they are very uncomfortable.
    Black Bull today for lunch, last couple of visits were excellent but the food was disappointing today, service was poor enough also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Cast Iron wrote: »

Great spot, often stop there on a cycle. Omelettes and egg benedict are scrumptious.....along with their scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Haven't been impressed with the Eastern Seaboard since the menu change. And the service remains mediocre, and waiting times too long. The Lime Kiln is our go to now, no complaints, savage spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

2nd time in the eastern seaboard in 2 months. New menu is terrible, food was bland, half portions,staff looked disinterested, manager was angry with the world..I could go on but won't. V dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭furiousox

Going for Sunday lunch in the Glenside soon for the first time.
    Can anyone tell me what it's like?
    Is it a carvery queue up with your tray kind of thing, or do you order from a menu at the table?

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

furiousox wrote: »
    Going for Sunday lunch in the Glenside soon for the first time.
    Can anyone tell me what it's like?
    Is it a carvery queue up with your tray kind of thing, or do you order from a menu at the table?

Was there mid week and it's an old school queue up system. I would assume the same for Sunday. I only had the soup, but was very tasty.

Ref the Eastern Seaboard, there was a time whereby if an elusive babysitter dropped out of the sky, I wouldn't have to be asked where to go, ESB would be it. This rare occasion happened a couple of months ago and I was beyond being just disappointed, it was like and old friend moving on. I would not waste a future sitter on the ESB, just too much went wrong to look over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Pipmae

delly wrote: »
    Ref the Eastern Seaboard, there was a time whereby if an elusive babysitter dropped out of the sky, I wouldn't have to be asked where to go, ESB would be it. This rare occasion happened a couple of months ago and I was beyond being just disappointed, it was like and old friend moving on. I would not waste a future sitter on the ESB, just too much went wrong to look over.

IMO the downward spiral started when the restaurant manager Noel left. The new menu is awful IMO.

I thought it was the owners split up, and the foody side of it has left. I kind of hope they get it together because i used to really like the food, it was always the same but really good. My missus hated working there though, they were taking a cut from the tips to pay for stuff which is awful IMO.No idea if they still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Pipmae wrote: »
    IMO the downward spiral started when the restaurant manager Noel left. The new menu is awful IMO.

Absolutely agree, the whole atmosphere changed after he left. He was very good and definitely contributed to their success.

I don't really like the place anymore, such a shame as I really loved it and going there was a special treat. Any birthday, anniversary etc was spent there.
    It wouldn't cross my mind to book there now, there are much nicer places with far better staff and definitely more reasonable prices.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    they were taking a cut from the tips to pay for stuff which is awful IMO.No idea if they still do it.

If that is true, it is terrible. As someone who was a waiter whilst a student, tips were the way to earn a few extra quid (no minimum wage then - it was £10 for a 5 hour shift in the late 1980s!!).

Even now, if I see a service charge "optional", I ask the waiter/waitress if they get the service charge. If they don't, I don't pay it and I pay the tip directly to the staff member.

Any restaurant owner taking anything from tips (unless there is an agreement to give a proportion to kitchen staff which I agree with) will not get my custom regardless of quality of food etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

PGE1970 wrote: »
    If that is true, it is terrible. As someone who was a waiter whilst a student, tips were the way to earn a few extra quid (no minimum wage then - it was £10 for a 5 hour shift in the late 1980s!!).

Even now, if I see a service charge "optional", I ask the waiter/waitress if they get the service charge. If they don't, I don't pay it and I pay the tip directly to the staff member.

Any restaurant owner taking anything from tips (unless there is an agreement to give a proportion to kitchen staff which I agree with) will not get my custom regardless of quality of food etc.

Having worked front of house and in the kitchen I agree with the pooling of tips with a proportion going to the kitchen staff.

Absolutely no way owners etc should be dipping into that pot - it'll be great if they bring in the proposed law requiring restaurants to state clearly what their policy is on tips.

If ESB were doing this then I'm glad not to have been giving them the business over the years - I definitely feel now I haven't been missing out on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Sad news today , Bourkes the family in restaurant in peter st with probably the best full Irish and my favourite mixed omelette , was broken into and thrashed on Sunday night ,
    Had to close today to reinstate the place . It's an old style Drogheda cafe.
    That does quite well , give them a visit and a bit of support after this bang , I highly reccommend it even with all the buggies and grannies ;)

moonshadow wrote: »
    Sad news today , Bourkes the family in restaurant in peter st with probably the best full Irish and my favourite mixed omelette , was broken into and thrashed on Sunday night ,
    That does quite well , give them a visit and a bit of support after this bang , I highly reccommend it even with all the buggies and grannies ;)

I know that no-one on this forum can explain but what possesses people to do these sort of things? What is there to achieve?

Best of luck to the Burke family. Pat's passing was a great loss and I hope that they re-open better & stronger. With Kings in Mell closing some years ago, Drogheda can't afford to lose another of its old school establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

moonshadow wrote: »

That's awful, flipping scumbags! :mad: I love tipping into Burkes on a Saturday morning for a sneaky breakfast with my little girl. Food is quality & it's super good value for money! And they are all really lovely in there! There's nearly always a queue on a Saturday morning for a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Walked past the Mariner Pub on the quay Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday this week, special offer sign outside the door. ( not sure what other days it is valid for )

Any burger + fries + a pint = 12 euro.

Great value considering the burgers are tasty and range around the 10 euro a pop mark anyway including the chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Went into the Mooreland before Christmas and had such a bad experience with a member of staff there ill never be back again, she was so horrible, I felt really belittled by her. I came in in the morning on my own for breakfast, I ordered at the till then went over to the table directly to the right of the till to find my purse,(my bag is a bottomless pit) she rudely called me back and told me to pay now, I politely said I will and i'm just looking for my purse. She gave me a filthy look, called me back again for the buzzer and again was very rude about it. I sat down and waited, the buzzer went off and I went to collect the food, didnt see were she left the plate so asked where was it and she aggressively told me 'over there', i took the plate and brought it to my table, left the buzzer on the counter as it was till going off, she said 'no dont put it there' so I went to hand it to her, she said no again, at this stage I didnt know what she wanted me to do so I just left it on the counter. While having breakfast she kept looking at me and throwing me dagger eyes, like she was judging me. It was the strangest encounter of my life. I found the entire interaction with her so uncomfortable that ill never be back again. Im well used to dealing with different sorts of people, im by no means over sensitive but this women was nothing but a bully. The breakfast itself was perfect and cooked quickly and im always looking for a good breakfast before starting work, its a shame as id be a regular if it wasnt for rude staff.

Advertisement