Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,360 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Went to kings yesterday for breakfast. Super food - nice variety, good sized portions and reasonably priced. Great service too. Thanks for those who posted. Will definitely be back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Anyone been for Afternoon Tea in Listoke? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭furiousox

Tried Il Ponte (new Italian restaurant in the d hotel) over the weekend, unfortunately it wasn't a pleasant experience.

The menu looked promising with the bolognese using tagliatelle instead of spaghetti and the carbonara being made with egg yolk and not cream.

When we arrived around 6.00pm there was one other occupied table of 4.

We sat down and I was aware of a faint unpleasant smell in the air, took a while to work it out, but I reckon it was the Boyne in the heat :(

The waitress took our drinks order and presented us with menus.

We ordered one garlic bread with cheese to start, I ordered a quattro stagioni pizza, mrs ox ordered the carbonara and junior ordered the lasagne.

As we chatted we found the background music a bit annoying (cheesy 80's stuff like Michael Bolton, too loud and shrill coming through the tinny hotel roof speakers)

The garlic bread arrived after about 15 mins, it was a small pizza type base with decent garlic flavour but way too much cheese for me.

There was enough for all three of us so we shared.
    There were no side plates on the table, none were offered and there was no sign of the waitress so we split the bread and ate it off the table!

About another 15 minutes later, the mains arrived.

The pizza looked good but wasn't nice at all, I'm still struggling to work out why as it was a freshly made base with fresh toppings.
    For some reason it just wasn't tasty at all, just doughy and mushy.
    I left most of it behind.

The lasagne and carbonara were both huge portions but neither went down well with my dining companions.

I tasted the carbonara and thought it was...ok, but mrs ox didn't like it at all.

I didn't try the lasagne but junior wasn't wild about it ("too much cheese")

On reflection, I think there was too much cheese thrown on all the dishes we had, maybe that's what made the pizza so mushy?

In fairness to the waitress when she saw the amount of uneaten food she did enquire if something was wrong and removed the carbonara from the bill.

It wasn't an enjoyable meal so we just settled the bill and left.

It's a pity because it's good to see new restaurants opening up and I'd like them to do well but unfortunately our experience wasn't a good one.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

Ate in Weavers at the weekend - wasn’t expecting much but it was lovely. Busy too & I thought the prices were very reasonable. We only had a quick bite but definitely plan on going back again.

I do hate when places charge €1 for tap water & black currant juice, 50c would be much easier to swallow!! Especially when alcoholic drinks are being ordered at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

I went to Bare food before work and ordered the pancakes - Banana and chocolate chips. What I was served was not a pancake. It looked like a fat brown burger and it tasted awful. I was starving, almost late for work and it was really expensive so I ate as much of it as I could. I will say it kept me going most of the day but they shouldnt be advertising that as 'pancakes'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I went to Bare food before work and ordered the pancakes - Banana and chocolate chips. What I was served was not a pancake. It looked like a fat brown burger and it tasted awful. I was starving, almost late for work and it was really expensive so I ate as much of it as I could. I will say it kept me going most of the day but they shouldnt be advertising that as 'pancakes'.

I had them once too and they were awful. So disappointing for the price paid :(
    I used to rave about the place but I find it very mediocre these days.

However, their brownies are the BEST I’ve ever eaten. They serve them warm with ice cream but they’re much nicer cold - I usually buy one when passing and eat it at home with a cup of tea. I’ve never tasted anything like them, fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

everlast75 wrote: »
    Went to kings yesterday for breakfast. Super food - nice variety, good sized portions and reasonably priced. Great service too. Thanks for those who posted. Will definitely be back

i go every friday and try one of the specials, super chef

Went to Woodrows last weekend for lunch.
    They only have a limited menu whilst the kitchen is being renovated which was disappointing but we ordered anyway thinking you can't go wrong with a burger.

I got the cajun chicken burger - it was so bad, bland with no flavour, the bun was toasted but definitely was already stale before they warmed it up - you know when it's kind of crumbly around the edges?

I ordered a cocktail for €9 and it just tasted of crappy, over sweet cordial - I have had daiquiris in West 29 before and they were beautiful made with fresh strawberries to I thought this would be made the same way. Sadly not.

A total waste of money, won't go back even when the kitchen is finished.
    On a plus side the new décor is lovely, a nice place to sit - just don't waste your money on the highly overpriced cocktail menu.

where is woodrows?

I tried the fish place on Laurence st, very nice on first impression

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

IvoryTower wrote: »
    where is woodrows?

I tried the fish place on Laurence st, very nice on first impression

Woodrow used to be Barocco in the Westcourt.

• Advertisement

My friend went to the Black Bull and ordered a steak, when it arrived out she cut into it and took a bite, said it tasted very funny and called the waiter who was polite and took the food away. He came back and informed her that the steak was gone off and they were sorry and offered her free desert, she wasn't charged for the meal and the staff were very friendly but its something to be aware of I feel. If a child was given meat in a burger or lasagna and it wasnt fresh it could make them very sick. I was surprised as ive always raved about the Black bull for food, they serve lovely hearty dinners but id be reluctant to eat there again. How in name of god did the chef not notice the steak was gone off? the look of it alone would tell you that, never mind the smell and to think theyre holding onto old meat in the kitchen.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I had them once too and they were awful. So disappointing for the price paid :(
    I used to rave about the place but I find it very mediocre these days.

However, their brownies are the BEST I’ve ever eaten. They serve them warm with ice cream but they’re much nicer cold - I usually buy one when passing and eat it at home with a cup of tea. I’ve never tasted anything like them, fab.

I tried the brownies, theyre amazing, thanks for the recommendation.

tried 5 good things, very nice breakfast.

the pheasant over charged me by 7e for lunch but I was long gone before I realised, food was fairly meh as always, its just about more enjoyable than getting a roll in the shop

the boyne bantry for fishcakes, was nice, same dish was better in the fish place on Laurences street mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

the pheasant over charged me by 7e for lunch but I was long gone before I realised, food was fairly meh as always, its just about more enjoyable than getting a roll in the shop

the boyne bantry for fishcakes, was nice, same dish was better in the fish place on Laurences street mind

I agree with you on the food in the pheasant, average and bland , nothing to make you go out of your way to visit there for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Had the breakfast bap in 5GTs, very tasty for €6 & a decent mocha for €2 take away as well, will be back. (Although being pedantic, it was a brioche bun & not a bap :rolleyes:)

Visitors tried Marys Market Café for breakfast last week as well & were impressed, my uncles a chef so it takes a lot to please him.

Was in Aishas a couple of weeks ago, as usual, didn't disappoint, the other half was impressed as well on her first visit

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Where is 5 Good Things?
    Had the breakfast bap in 5GTs, very tasty for €6 & a decent mocha for €2 take away as well, will be back. (Although being pedantic, it was a brioche bun & not a bap :rolleyes:)

Visitors tried Marys Market Café for breakfast last week as well & were impressed, my uncles a chef so it takes a lot to please him.

Was in Aishas a couple of weeks ago, as usual, didn't disappoint, the other half was impressed as well on her first visit

it's at the roundabout beside lourdes church

Many cafes have tried and failed there so hopefully they do well enough to keep going. Always thought he same about kings location, the venue doesnt do either any favours but quality food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Finally tried Kings from good reviews on here. It's not much to look at from the outside and the location is not great but food and service is great.

In for lunch yesterday and had the pulled pork and ham bap with sweet potato fries, it was really tasty and will be back to try something else on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Finally tried Kings from good reviews on here. It's not much to look at from the outside and the location is not great but food and service is great.

In for lunch yesterday and had the pulled pork and ham bap with sweet potato fries, it was really tasty and will be back to try something else on the menu.

Where is this??

Kings is on stockwell street, at the entrance to the old super value. I think a couple of years ago there was a cafe called chillis.

Glad you liked it jackyback, easily my favourite cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I used to go there a bit and it was fairly alright ... but recently it is just over priced bland unfulfilling food.

I made that mistake with the kids before with the pancakes ... the look of horror on their faces when they tried them - ended up making real pancakes at home for them afterwards.

Trinity Quarter...nicest meal I’ve had in a long time!

Fillet steak with creamy spinach - amazing.

I’ve better cocktails but I’d go back for the food any day

Went into town yesterday and decided to get some food with a friend, went to a cafe which I wont name as their service is usually brilliant, on this occasion we were left sitting for 45 minutes waiting for our orders despite having ordered twice while customers coming in after us where getting served. We got up and walked out, decided to look for somewhere else but everywhere was full. Came across two lads with a BBQ beside Divine, burger and beer for a tenner and it was the best burger ive ever had and very filling too. Id really recommend it if anyones down that way tomorrow, theyre only there for the fleadh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Yesterday was crazy indeed. For instance there was a long queue outside 'shake and bake'. That's no excuse for not serving customers already seated though.

PS: We were in Black bull hoping to grab some food and to stay to see Moxie play, but they wouldn't serve food outside at the marquee, so went inside and it was like a million degrees warm in there, probably because we just walked up from town, we thought. Food from their fla menu came quickly which was great because it was seriously uncomfortable by that stage. Finished the single course we ordered super quick and left, and the place was already starting to empty by that time, it wasn't just us who felt it was too warm, staff agreed others have been saying the same.

There was a session going on in the pub area, but didn't stay as it was too warm overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Trinity Quarter...nicest meal I’ve had in a long time!

Fillet steak with creamy spinach - amazing.

I’ve better cocktails but I’d go back for the food any day

Good food but terribly over priced. Its Dublin prices in the arse end of Drogheda, though in Dublin most good eateries still don’t charge extra for sides.

100ml bottle of Coke, how much? Would drive you to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I was in at the Fleadh on a few occasions and seen some of the ripoff restaurants so passed them by and paid a visit to Gwen in Stockwell Artisan foods on Stockwell street, all the food is home cooked steak and kidney pie wih loads of mixed salads etc €8 The lemon Meringue pie is dangerous stuff you would devour at least two slices it tastes so good and boy is it filling. The only thing that they put up during the fleadh was the portions, great service with even better food.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Today's Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

We tried Lime Kiln a few days ago and it was nice. I got the impression that it would be a fantastically cozy place on a cold winters day, the interior has that old age charm. Food was good too, whatever we asked for came in time and it was all delicious. There was a tiny bit of delay for dessert menu to come (after the mains were cleared away), which was actually a good thing, gives your tummy time to get that "enough now, I am really full" signal to the brain, so we didn't order any dessert.

Overall, I would recommend it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Philipx wrote: »
    Today's Irish Times.

Would like to hear it had gotten better cause it had taken a serious dip in quality the last few times I went in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭gipi

Ate in West29 the other evening - first time there.

Atmosphere was good (the Thursday special, 2 courses + glass wine/bellini might have had something to do with it!), dining room was half-full.

I had the ribs main course, himself had the 10oz ribeye. Meat was delish, perfectly cooked and sauces (BBQ on the ribs, pepper sauce on the steak) were perfect. West29 fries (aka chunky chips) weren't great, bit tasteless and seemed less than fully cooked. There was a bit of a delay between getting our main plate and getting the chips, so maybe there had been a bit of a mishap. We had a portion of onion rings too, which were very tasty.

While we waited for our mains, we were given some bread (the brown was fab, crunchy and tasty), and a taste of sweet potato and cocoanut soup - very nice!

Had no room for dessert!

Service was prompt without being rushed, and the staff were friendly and professional.
    We'll be back (and I won't fill up on bread this time!).

Advertisement