Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Not exactly a restaurant! But a chuck wagon opened on the pier of clogherhead. The fish and chips are dynamite, dead fresh fish, light batter, lovely chips.
    Unfortunately i can no longer eat fish n chips from macaris as a result, n clogherhead is a bit of a trek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

enricoh wrote: »
    Not exactly a restaurant! But a chuck wagon opened on the pier of clogherhead. The fish and chips are dynamite, dead fresh fish, light batter, lovely chips.
    Unfortunately i can no longer eat fish n chips from macaris as a result, n clogherhead is a bit of a trek!!
    Its there since last April, very tasty alright when I got it last year what price was it, heard they put the price up €2 this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

macadam wrote: »
    Its there since last April, very tasty alright when I got it last year what price was it, heard they put the price up €2 this year?

It's 10 euro for fish and chips. Was there yesterday, and the meal was so big, I couldn't finish it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

gipi wrote: »
    It's 10 euro for fish and chips. Was there yesterday, and the meal was so big, I couldn't finish it!
    Best tasting Fish and chip this side of Killybegs even at tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

markc1184 wrote: »
    Went to Fifty50 today. 3 course for €18.95 is a decent deal I thought. We had wings, garlic bread and vol au vent for starters. A classic burger, Bolognese and a tiger prawn tagliatelle for mains. Wispa cheesecakes (very tasty) and a brownie for dessert. Came to €72 including a glass of wine and a couple of minerals. All 3 of us enjoyed what we got.

Be interesting to see how the menu will change when the Fifty50 name changes.

Was over in Collon last night with Mrs Mac in Number 3, food tasty but not overly exciting and not great value for money. We had two starters two main courses one dessert and a bottle of wine €110.00
    The 12oz sirloin steak was on the small side Ive seen bigger 8oz steaks. Considering they buy a strip sirloin for approx €120 and they definitely will get 30 of these so called 12oz steaks from a side of sirloin so at €29.95 that is some profit.

I went with my son for lunch just after they'd won best new restaurant award, the burger was decent, not amazing but happy with it. Was too expensive though, it was about 15e more than it usually costs the 2 of us to have lunch. I dont think they had kids goujons so he was charged like an adult. In saying that ive heard a few people say good things lately so I'm tempted to make a return with the missus soon. I suppose it's due a burger update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Best tasting Fish and chip this side of Killybegs even at tenner.

It is lovely! The kids portion is actually nearly enough for an adult tbh. And it does be jammers - especially if it's a nice evening! We always bring our own drinks though if we are going as the drinks are pricey enough. An ice-cream shop has opened as well opposite them.
    Nice to see the pier busy - if they could just do something about the idiots who think it's a race track in spite of all the kids walking around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

i was in clougher last thursday and the q for the chip van was huge.40 min .

I was very dissapointed, the fish was nearly all batter and the chips were reheated.

Had been there last year and it was fabulous but maybe just got them on a bad day.

It is taking them about 30 mins an order now I think, depending on what time you go at and how nice of an evening it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Was there last Sunday and despite getting our order in straight away and only two or three people in front of us it still took twenty minutes. At €24 for two fish and chips with water and a dip I didn't think it was worth the wait. Portions are definitely smaller than before. The food was still nice, but not €24 nice. Won't be availing next time. Back to the seafood chowder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'd gladly wait anywhere for 20 minutes for freshly prepared and cooked food. Its not Dominics. And for a tenner?

• Advertisement

it sounds good to me, does it have opening hours or whats the deal, does it have to be sunny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Tried the fish and chips while we were in Clogherhead today. Both the fish and chips were fantastic. We got lucky in that the queue when we arrived was very small. We waited about 15 mins or so for everything to be prepared but it was well worth it. I'll gladly pay €10 for what I got today over similar from the chip shops in town.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    it sounds good to me, does it have opening hours or whats the deal, does it have to be sunny :)

I think they open Friday to Sunday but possibly they have extended the opening hours to other days of the week. They have a FB page, perhaps check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I think they open Friday to Sunday but possibly they have extended the opening hours to other days of the week. They have a FB page, perhaps check that out.

What's the business called?

whelan2 wrote: »
    What's the business called?

Oh I think it's the Fisherman's Catch

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

I don't eat fish but would have loved a decent bag of chips, unfortunately they cook everything in beef dripping which I, personally, find disgusting. It's the same with the other chipper in Clogherhead. Keeps me off chips though so there's a silver lining of sorts. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Tried the thatch kitchen for first time today.

Walked in, had to get own seat, had to get own menus, had to go up to the counter (nobody came over).

Service was brutal, food was nice.

Both had a sambo, BLT and a Caprese. 2 soft drinks and a tea.

Thought €28.50 was a bit rich as we've never spent that on lunch anywhere in town, ever.

Sambos are supposed to come with chips, I got 7 chips, bit pathetic.

It's a nice place and I'm sure it does well and the food itself is nice but there are definitely far better places to get lunch in town, for less.

Wouldn't disagree really, the burger is very good though...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Smithstown Diner has a new owner and is now called "Daves (sic) Diner"

From the artwork, looks like an american style place have yet to try it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah here, I’m a guy called Dave and I’ve always had dreams of buying that place and turning it into an iHop-sequel diner. :D

• Advertisement

Could actually do really well if they put some money in and the foods decent. Huge catchment area and plenty of free parking. I'll give it a go during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Jaysus, yiz will think I'm dave after this!
    Went for fry up during the week, very impressed, e8 including tea or coffee! Really good value at that n everything tasty.
    Will try the burger n report back.

10 minutes further up the road has the tastiest burger i think i ever had, whytes in stamullan.
    Cooked to perfection every time, still juicy.

Went to thw boyne valley the other night for the first time in years. Have to say the setting is the best around sitting in the bar conservatory looking out on the garden.
    Got baked cod with prawns-tasty but too small a portion. The missus had a steak sandwich which looked the part.

Finally got the relish in bettystown, it was really good to be fair, lived up to expectations

Yeah burger - still avoid if something like not being served for an hour is a problem and I'm not messing! We ended up getting a refund. Now in saying that the food is lovely so im holding out hope it settles down.

Thatch - burger wasnt as nice this time around, I'll give it one more try, very handy for me being close to work

5good things - had incredible feed up there, I'd have this cafe second to kings in the town but it's quite out of the way for me to get to regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I went to Yeah Burgr on Thursday at about 3pm. From ordering to the food arriving at the table took about 20 minutes. Maybe we were just lucky with the queues when we arrived. There was people standing waiting on a table when we were leaving.

On the food, I thought the burger was fantastic. I also had loaded waffle fries which were a huge portion. All together for 2 burgers, loaded waffle fries, fries, onion rings and 2 drinks it was about €36. We both really enjoyed the food and will be back again.

I went for lunch one day and it was perfect, food great, Friday night, no food :) last week, we got food but the wrong food :) they'll get there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭ronano

Been interested to try yeah burgr but whenever I'm near its busy busy. Tried the brunch burger in the village hotel in bettystown, really nice burger, it's 14 euro for burger and chips which may be a bit pricey but it's been great every time I've gone.

The Brunch Burger €13.95 Maple cured bacon, melted cheddar, breaded onion ring, fried egg, confit tomato, cos lettuce and brunch mayo

Tried yeah burgr during the week too. Double bacon cheeseburger. Absolute filth. I mean that in a good way. It's not something I'd eat more than 3 or 4 times a year, it looked like a heart attack, but I look forward to the next time in December. Also got loaded waffle fries.....could barely eat half. Massive portions. They were ok, I'd try them again maybe with different toppings. I wouldn't get them with a burger again, just too much.

Chocolate milkshake was very nice, although they served it nearly straight away, so was gone by the time the food arrived. Soft drink next time, get a free refill if needed. But can see myself getting a milkshake on its own when I pass again.

Was waiting 20 minutes, food took at least another 20, was an hour total (1:30 and schools off so place was rammed). I do like the floor staff setup though, you order at the counter, food is then brought to table.

Cost 38 for two of us, 2 drinks 2 burgers 2 fries, which I thought was alot compared to say a steak sandwich chips and drink in a restaurant........ but in hindsight a burger and drink would have been enough, maybe share a fries if I'm really hungry or take them home again. Burgers are decent value.

Didn't go to Dave's as a friend got there before me. Said the fry was horrible, served on a metal jailhouse tray with compartments for each food. I can say no more as I wasn't there, bit I'd trust his opinion.

On another note hearing very very positive things about the Trinity Quarter, so that's next on the list.

The garlic butter fries in yeah burger are yum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭ronano

Tried yeah burgr, all I can say it's grand, a 7/10 but I'd prefer a double quarter pounder from McDonald's. The waffle fries were a severe disappointment, basically crisps. I'll return to try a different burger and normal chips and give the milkshake a go. It was a 25 min to 30 wait for food. It's only open so that's fine. Happy to see it doing good business and I liked the interior and staff were lovely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ronano wrote: »
    Been interested to try yeah burgr but whenever I'm near its busy busy. Tried the brunch burger in the village hotel in bettystown, really nice burger, it's 14 euro for burger and chips which may be a bit pricey but it's been great every time I've gone.

The Brunch Burger €13.95 Maple cured bacon, melted cheddar, breaded onion ring, fried egg, confit tomato, cos lettuce and brunch mayo

My favorite thing in America is the Brunch burgers in iHop so that does sound appealing.

Mind, I was in the Village Hotel last weekend, and had a mixed experienced. Had a chicken burger that was really nice, but ordered a desert that was a disaster. Something glory, I think. It was just a mess, half melted, a dollop of Nutella just thrown on the side of the plate and other things missing. Felt like there’d been a lack of certain ingredients in the kitchen and rather than ask us to pick again, threw together a disaster of a plate.

Advertisement