Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Camile have just opened a branch in Ashbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Went to the fishermans catch in Clogherhead this evening. Best fish and chips I've ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭quodec

Called to chuck wagon at the pier in Clogherhead last saturday. Nice mild evening and a big crowd there. There are benches to sit on while you wait for your order to be cooked, but the wasps and the flying ants were also making a nuisance of themselves and the rubbish bins filled quickly to overflowing. 40+ minutes until fish and chips arrived. Far too much batter on what was a small enough sized piece of cod. Chips were nice.
    As a one off it was ok but I wouldn't be rushing back. You need to love a lot of batter to enjoy it!

quodec wrote: »
    Called to chuck wagon at the pier in Clogherhead last saturday. Nice mild evening and a big crowd there. There are benches to sit on while you wait for your order to be cooked, but the wasps and the flying ants were also making a nuisance of themselves and the rubbish bins filled quickly to overflowing. 40+ minutes until fish and chips arrived. Far too much batter on what was a small enough sized piece of cod. Chips were nice.
    As a one off it was ok but I wouldn't be rushing back. You need to love a lot of batter to enjoy it!

5 minute wait this evening. We ate it in the car on the pier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

whelan2 wrote: »
    5 minute wait this evening. We ate it in the car on the pier

Are they open every evening now?

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Are they open every evening now?

Changed opening hours from yesterday. Just friday, Saturday and Sunday 12 until 8 now. Was busy enough there yesterday, due to bank holiday in north I'd say

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

enricoh wrote: »
    Jaysus, yiz will think I'm dave after this!
    Went for fry up during the week, very impressed, e8 including tea or coffee! Really good value at that n everything tasty.
    Will try the burger n report back.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Didn't go to Dave's as a friend got there before me. Said the fry was horrible, served on a metal jailhouse tray with compartments for each food. I can say no more as I wasn't there, bit I'd trust his opinion.

Tried it out.

Got the full Irish which was the €8 breakfast. Two sausage, two rashers, white and black pudding, fried egg and a huge tomato. Coffee and toast.

I enjoyed it a lot, actually. For the price, I really enjoyed it. I appreciate a lot of the small touches; coffee was served in a huge coffee pot so had loads between myself and my mother who was there too. Sauce in a bottle instead of stupid little packs. Food was all cooked perfectly. Atmosphere was good.

I did see others get the €10 signature breakfast, and would agree that serving it on a tray is an AWFUL gimmick (I think they call it "Big Dave's Tray Breakfast", and has a lot of food on it, but yeesh, the tray looks so cold and unappetizing). The food looked nice but it really did look like a prison dinner being served.

The €8 one was just a normal plate and looked so much more inviting. They also have a "Make Your Own" breakfast that's a €1 per item (plus Coffee/Toast as well included), five items minimum.

If they'd just get bigger plates instead of the stupid tray, they'd be flying. Much, much better value than the last place in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tried it out.

Got the full Irish which was the €8 breakfast. Two sausage, two rashers, white and black pudding, fried egg and a huge tomato. Coffee and toast.

I enjoyed it a lot, actually. For the price, I really enjoyed it. I appreciate a lot of the small touches; coffee was served in a huge coffee pot so had loads between myself and my mother who was there too. Sauce in a bottle instead of stupid little packs. Food was all cooked perfectly. Atmosphere was good.

I did see others get the €10 signature breakfast, and would agree that serving it on a tray is an AWFUL gimmick (I think they call it "Big Dave's Tray Breakfast", and has a lot of food on it, but yeesh, the tray looks so cold and unappetizing). The food looked nice but it really did look like a prison dinner being served.

The €8 one was just a normal plate and looked so much more inviting. They also have a "Make Your Own" breakfast that's a €1 per item (plus Coffee/Toast as well included), five items minimum.

If they'd just get bigger plates instead of the stupid tray, they'd be flying. Much, much better value than the last place in there.

Afaik Dave was once a detainee so maybe thats where he's getting the idea from.....dont take my word on that, you know the way stories in drogheda twist..Ill give it a go based on your review, but ask for the signature on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Hoboo wrote: »
    Afaik Dave was once a detainee so maybe thats where he's getting the idea from.....dont take my word on that, you know the way stories in drogheda twist..Ill give it a go based on your review, but ask for the signature on a plate.

Will say that Hoboo said that and see what he says.

BRB

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

So I got round to Yeah Burgr and was happy with the outing. Queue time was short and the time to get the food was equally fine. The burger itself was nice, as were the loaded fries, the only criticism I would give it is that the burger toppings were very sparse, and the burger needed to be seasoned better, resulting in a lot of extra salt.

If you're ever down in the big smoke, check out a place called Wow Burger, these guys have it down to a fine art and really do a brilliant loaded burger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Was in The Eastern Seaboard for lunch recently. It was nice but elements of it were very pricey. We had battered haddock and chips. I thought a €5 charge for a bottle of water was wild. It was all very well cooked and the waiting staff were lovely but dont think I'd head back in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was in The Eastern Seaboard for lunch recently. It was nice but elements of it were very pricey. We had battered haddock and chips. I thought a €5 charge for a bottle of water was wild. It was all very well cooked and the waiting staff were lovely but dont think I'd head back in a hurry.

Its in examinership afaik. Some accountant probably dreamed up charging a fiver will bring in x amount.
    No factoring in people not coming back.

Tried the burger in daves diner, good size but no real flavour off it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I assume this wasnt tap water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Tried the Franklyn in Dunleer for lunch last week. Wasn't great. Ordered a soup and fish fingers and chips for my daughter. We were waiting for at least 30 minutes before we even got our drinks. Soup was nice but not hot enough. Fish fingers and chips were ok.

Pity as it is a nice coffee shop, but staff need a fire lit under them.

Speaking of places just outside Drogheda, Inside out in Slane is very good. Decent burger, venue looks great, good atmosphere

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Tried the Franklyn in Dunleer for lunch last week. Wasn't great. Ordered a soup and fish fingers and chips for my daughter. We were waiting for at least 30 minutes before we even got our drinks. Soup was nice but not hot enough. Fish fingers and chips were ok.

Pity as it is a nice coffee shop, but staff need a fire lit under them.

Service has been extremely slow this last while. Which is a pity. Saw some people walking out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Not haute cuisine, not even in Louth but the Apache on the N2 the Ashbourne side of Slane does a great all day breakfast as well as decent carvery-style lunch. Ate there a few times now and the grub is good.

If you wanted somewhere relatively quiet on a sunday, to get some decent spicy/hot/bbq/whatever chicken wings, where would you go?

Bru's ones are lovely, but i reckon they might be fairly busy on a sunday, and i hate being beat into a place on top of everyone :o

If you wanted somewhere relatively quiet on a sunday, to get some decent spicy/hot/bbq/whatever chicken wings, where would you go?

Bru's ones are lovely, but i reckon they might be fairly busy on a sunday, and i hate being beat into a place on top of everyone :o

No 3 in Collon. Rarely crammed in and delicious food.

I see there is a new place where the Boyne Pantry was, "Canale", wine/coffee/tapas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Got to try yeah burgr on Saturday.
    There were 4 of us and we had 4 cheesburgers, 2 fries, 1 chicken wings, 1 milk shake and 2 cokes (with a free side helping of type 2 diabetes :pac:)

Total cost was 52 euro so it's a tad dearer than Mcdonalds but the burger was tasty, moist and meaty (a bit like the burger in five guys)
    The fries were nice, similar to McD's but crispier.
    Chicken wings were fine (the sauce was quite spicy like piri-piri)
    Junior enjoyed the milkshake and you get free refills on the soft drinks.
    There was no queue and plenty of empty tables so we got our food about 10 mins after ordering.
    We all enjoyed our meal and would definitely go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭enricoh

Tried tribe in duleek at the weekend (was the spire previously).
    First time there and is an old church converted. Lovely spot, decor etc really well done.
    Half the menu is pizzas, if you are not into them menu gets small fast.
    Had a prawn starter n pizza, both really nice. Herself had a steak, tasty but pricey at 27.50.
    Nice dessert n coffee. Great staff n service.

A good addition to the dining scene, booking is a must n they flip the tables too. We'll be back.

Went to the Sage and Stone today, out by Duleek.

It was nice, but I can't help but feel it's a tad expensive. I have a feeling its probably aimed at a demographic I don't fit, mind (When I was there, there was maybe a dozen middle-aged women and me, the lone guy :pac: ). Comparing it to the Breakfasts I've had at Lemonade or Smithstown Diner, €13 feels a little excessive.

That's not faulting the food itself, which was lovely. The tomato was a bullet, and the coffee was served in an arsey cup that didn't seem to come with any refills or the likes (which Smithstown does). But the rest of the food was nice.

But maybe that's me being frugal. I think the other two would do a similar breakfast for about €10. And I'm big into "value for money" when I go out for a breakfast.

https://i.imgur.com/l3pap35.jpg

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Went to the Sage and Stone today, out by Duleek.

It was nice, but I can't help but feel it's a tad expensive. I have a feeling its probably aimed at a demographic I don't fit, mind (When I was there, there was maybe a dozen middle-aged women and me, the lone guy :pac: ). Comparing it to the Breakfasts I've had at Lemonade or Smithstown Diner, €13 feels a little excessive.

That's not faulting the food itself, which was lovely. The tomato was a bullet, and the coffee was served in an arsey cup that didn't seem to come with any refills or the likes (which Smithstown does). But the rest of the food was nice.

But maybe that's me being frugal. I think the other two would do a similar breakfast for about €10. And I'm big into "value for money" when I go out for a breakfast.

https://i.imgur.com/l3pap35.jpg

I have started rating breakfasts on if the toast comes when the breakfast is served, nothing worse than being nearly finished when the toast arrives. Happened me in donegans last week

whelan2 wrote: »
    I have started rating breakfasts on if the toast comes when the breakfast is served, nothing worse than being nearly finished when the toast arrives. Happened me in donegans last week

Toast did arrive at the same time.

But along that line, my mother ordered an apple pie and coffee and had it half finished by the time mine arrived. That annoys me a bit; it's not that hard to serve a slice of pie closer to delivering the meal. I hate when one person gets served way before the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I really like sage and stone, but I do agree about the somewhat mature patronage! During the week you could land in and feel you were intruding on a bridge club meet up, but the clientele at weekends is a bit more diverse, and most times we head up on Sundays. Be interesting to see what it's like after the renovations are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Had dinner in the Eastern Seaboard on Sunday. First visit in 5 or 6 years. It wasn't very busy but most tables were occupied (4.30pm). Had the buffalo wings for starters, a larger portion than I expected to be honest, maybe 10 wings? Had the 14oz T-Bone for main, asked for medium and at €30 I was expecting it to be spot on and happy to report it was perfect. All in all a pleasant experience.

Didn't know they did a €30 T-Bone, must take a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I was in Burke's for the first time ever despite living here in Drogheda for over 15 years. Had the steak burger, total yum. And the chips were brilliant.

• Advertisement

Suppose i'll have to try it....

Advertisement