Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Il forno on West Street breakfasts are so good. The pudding is Delish and toast comes out with food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Il forno on West Street breakfasts are so good. The pudding is Delish and toast comes out with food

Toast, wow quick someone ring Michelin!

I had a very disappointing meal there, no authentic Italian feel to it at all. Tasted very like an Irish home cook trying to cook Italian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Had breakfast on thursday morning in El Forno.

The best in drogheda if your looking for more than just a full irish.

i had poached eggs, salmon, baby pancakes with hint of spinich.

my friend had porridge and eggs benidict .

Very comfortable surroundings and service not too bad.

he paid ! so not sure how much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Found the food nice there alright but on one occasion we had to ask for the bill 3 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Found the food nice there alright but on one occasion we had to ask for the bill 3 times!

I Eat there regularly,I don’t ask for the bill, just go up to counter and pay on way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Tried Yeah Burgr last night.

They had run out of beer which was disappointing but not a deal breaker.

They then made a complete mess of the order and we just left, doubt we'll ever return.

The tables were dirty and the staff have an average age of about 17. There was no one visibly managing anything which for the price of the food isn't on.

Tried yeah burger finally also.

Burger itself was delish, 10/10, up there with 5 Guys / Bunsen etc.

Thought the loaded waffle fries were RANK. Better off getting a taco in the Genoa.

Big wait for the food but thought the price was ok for what it is.

Tables aren't great / they move around on the slippy floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Was in the Black Bull on Saturday night with a group of friends. Staff are very nice but the wait for food is shocking long and they weren't that busy. We ordered at about 8.30 and we waited for easily 40 minutes. Didn't notice the first half hour wait as we were chatting but it did get a bit long considering we had only ordered burgers. Food was nice but I ordered a pepper sauce on the side which was maybe about three tablespoons of sauce when it came out. They charged me 2.50 for it too which I thought was a bit much :(

Tried Yeah Burgr last night.

They had run out of beer which was disappointing but not a deal breaker.

They then made a complete mess of the order and we just left, doubt we'll ever return.

The tables were dirty and the staff have an average age of about 17. There was no one visibly managing anything which for the price of the food isn't on.
    Tried yeah burger finally also.

Burger itself was delish, 10/10, up there with 5 Guys / Bunsen etc.

Thought the loaded waffle fries were RANK. Better off getting a taco in the Genoa.

Big wait for the food but thought the price was ok for what it is.

Tables aren't great / they move around on the slippy floor.

That's disappointing to read. I've had food 3 times from Yeah so far...

1) A few days after opening. Understandably service was slow as they got to to grips with things, the food was lovely though especially the burger. They were sold out of all full sugar drinks however.

2) I got a takeaway a few weeks later. Grand, but of course some of the food was freezing by the time I got it home which is a short enough distance. That's not wholly my fault, as they had my topped fries sitting and waiting for about 10 minutes before the rest of the order was ready. They'd need to improve on that front and if they're going to plow ahead with catering for take-away orders, they should have that sorted.

3) Went in for a sitdown a couple of weeks ago. Service was much quicker than the visit on their opening week. Yeah the staff seem young, but they were friendly and attentive which is all that matters to me.

Their top fries seem to be on the cool side whether you eat them there and then or go for a take-away.

I was going to go tonight for #4, but those couple of reviews above have swayed me towards ordering an Indian from Punjabi House instead.
    All-in-all though, it's a good addition to the town IMO and once they don't let it go to fúck, I will be back there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Hoboo

That's disappointing to read. I've had food 3 times from Yeah so far...

1) A few days after opening. Understandably service was slow as they got to to grips with things, the food was lovely though especially the burger. They were sold out of all full sugar drinks however.

2) I got a takeaway a few weeks later. Grand, but of course some of the food was freezing by the time I got it home which is a short enough distance. That's not wholly my fault, as they had my topped fries sitting and waiting for about 10 minutes before the rest of the order was ready. They'd need to improve on that front and if they're going to plow ahead with catering for take-away orders, they should have that sorted.

3) Went in for a sitdown a couple of weeks ago. Service was much quicker than the visit on their opening week. Yeah the staff seem young, but they were friendly and attentive which is all that matters to me.

Their top fries seem to be on the cool side whether you eat them there and then or go for a take-away.

I was going to go tonight for #4, but those couple of reviews above have swayed me towards ordering an Indian from Punjabi House instead.
    All-in-all though, it's a good addition to the town IMO and once they don't let it go to fúck, I will be back there regularly.

Burger you could make yourself (for a 5th of the price) or Punjabi, there is no contest. Bleedin delish.

• Advertisement

Didn't know they did take out, is it much faster service ? Same price I assume ? A handy one to know.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Burger you could make yourself (for a 5th of the price) or Punjabi, there is no contest. Bleedin delish.

I pretty much have my homemade burger sorted at this point, after years of trying different methods and ingredients
    Less is more
    . Still, I love going out for a burger.

Punjabi was delish indeed, I went for a chicken madras for the first time rather than my usual tandoori chicken. They consistently produce great food there (from my experience and maybe yours too.) I have yet to try Ajanta or Tamarind because Punjabi just hits the spot.
    Didn't know they did take out, is it much faster service ? Same price I assume ? A handy one to know.

From my one takeaway experience, it isn't really much faster. I had about 20 minutes to kill/wait around the shopping centre. It was the same price indeed. You can't phone in your order either. It's not really set-up or ideal for takeaway IMO, but maybe give it a go yourself to see if the experience is different.

Reminds me of that time I got takeaway from The Cross, which they do regularly advertise on Facebook. It was a big meal for 2 of us (4 boxes with burgers and wings) and the guy looked at me blank when I asked him for a carrier bag. I left The Cross that night with a black binliner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I wouldnt say it's a burger you'd get at home unless you're damn good at making burgers, it's definitely way way better than mcdonalds(which im a big fan of). Id put it ahead of Eddie Rockets but below Bunsen. I've been 5 times, twice order was wrong, twice is was lovely and once we waited so long we had to leave. So eh, bit of a mixed bag, but unfortunately I like the food enough that ill be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

I agree with IvoryTower's burger score.

We were at Yeah Burger last night and while the burger was fine, and definitely better than your typical McD/BK, it was only slightly better than EddieRockets. In fact overall experience was similar to that of EddieRockets, just a different vibe, that's all. Kids Menu 2 - chicken things - had so much pepper my 8 and 6 year olds found it too spicy - I don't get why they would make kid specific items so spicy. (I ate them though, they were delicious) and kids had to share our burgers.

38 euro for two kids meals, two burgers, a milkshake and a coke. Tasty perhaps, value?- I guess not.

PS: I miss KL - where you can eat amazing food at the fanciest shiniest shopping center food courts, right next to skyscrapers and musical water fountains, for less than 3 euros per head. So many hawker stall type mini-restaurants to choose from, each specializing in one or two great dishes. Which makes me wonder why are there no food courts in Drogheda (or Ireland in general, I can't think of any other than the Epicurean hall in Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

About a month ago I ordered the vegetarian sizzlers to take away from the Black Bull. Got home to find I had got a load of fried onions with one piece of broccoli and one piece of mushroom. Two of the 3 dips were white and am pretty sure they were some sort of mayo but definitely neither were sour cream. Was disappointed I have to say.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I wouldnt say it's a burger you'd get at home unless you're damn good at making burgers, it's definitely way way better than mcdonalds(which im a big fan of). Id put it ahead of Eddie Rockets but below Bunsen. I've been 5 times, twice order was wrong, twice is was lovely and once we waited so long we had to leave. So eh, bit of a mixed bag, but unfortunately I like the food enough that ill be back.

Off topic to the thread title, but I'm going to share these since burgers are topical in here at the moment...

Those videos have helped me to make a homemade burger that I am now fully happy with. Jesus, when I think of the way I made them years ago - They were meatloafs and not burgers :D

Haven't been out for dinner in a long time but planning on it this weekend - just myself and the hubs. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

D'vine.
    Best restaurant in town right now imo.

+1 for D'Vine

D'vine.
    +1 for D'Vine

It must have had a serious improvement in the last 2 years.

Given these posts and the thanks, I'd be interested to try it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭furiousox

Night time menu is a bit dearer, but if you go at Saturday lunchtime you can get a lovely flame grilled flavoursome rib-eye steak and chips for 12 quid.
    Unbelievable value!

CPL 593H

D'vine.

Cant agree more. 3 unbelievable tapas and a glass of house for €20. Was stuffed. The best wines by far in town too. Damo and Sonia are really pushing the bar in drogs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Cant agree more. 3 unbelievable tapas and a glass of house for €20. Was stuffed. The best wines by far in town too. Damo and Sonia are really pushing the bar in drogs

Think the Tapas and wine deal used to be €14 - myself and a mate used to get it before the cinema!

Think the Tapas and wine deal used to be €14 - myself and a mate used to get it before the cinema!

Maybe, not sure how big the portions were but they're massive now, took me a bottle of wine to get through it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Maybe, not sure how big the portions were but they're massive now, took me a bottle of wine to get through it

Think they were pretty good then too! Always got the same 3 - bravas, pudding and the tempura prawns I think haha! :D

Didn't get out for dinner in the end on Saturday (no babysitter) but went for lunch in Woodrows. Won't be back, food was grand, but it was seriously pricey! Three adults, two kids - we had three soups & sandwiches, one plain chicken sandwich to split between the kids (which they wouldn't eat because they had dusted it with parsley :rolleyes:), three teas & a jug of cordial and it came to nearly 55euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. CL paid for it & we had left before he told me the price! They also charge 85cent for the cordial - that really bugs me!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Didn't get out for dinner in the end on Saturday (no babysitter) but went for lunch in Woodrows. Won't be back, food was grand, but it was seriously pricey! Three adults, two kids - we had three soups & sandwiches, one plain chicken sandwich to split between the kids (which they wouldn't eat because they had dusted it with parsley :rolleyes:), three teas & a jug of cordial and it came to nearly 55euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. CL paid for it & we had left before he told me the price! They also charge 85cent for the cordial - that really bugs me!

Did you order the €7.50 make your own sandwiches and the €5.25 soups seperately? That's €45.75. (Set menu sambo and soup * 3, plus a sandwich is only €36) Teas * 3 around €9. Plus your cordial, which i think should have a nominal fee like a euro, all adds to €55.

I had the spicy chicken panini with choice of soup chips or wedges, thought it was great value and really tasty at €9.50. Make your own equivalent is €12.75, which it should be in a hotel or restaurant.

Did you order the €7.50 make your own sandwiches and the €5.25 soups seperately? That's €45.75. (Set menu sambo and soup * 3, plus a sandwich is only €36) Teas * 3 around €9. Plus your cordial, which i think should have a nominal fee like a euro, all adds to €55.

I had the spicy chicken panini with choice of soup chips or wedges, thought it was great value and really tasty at €9.50. Make your own equivalent is €12.75, which it should be in a hotel or restaurant.

I think it ended up that way - although they didn't have the soup & sandwich option on the menu. We asked the waitress before we ordered as most of the menu was dinners & she didn't mention there was a set option.

Off topic to the thread title, but I'm going to share these since burgers are topical in here at the moment...

Those videos have helped me to make a homemade burger that I am now fully happy with. Jesus, when I think of the way I made them years ago - They were meatloafs and not burgers :D

I gave it a bash stu, wasnt a bad first effort, the missus is delighted :p

• Advertisement

I was told in Woodrows they order in sambos/paninis ready made. I think i'll pass.

Advertisement