Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Place has been living off a rep from about 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Went to Donegan's...
    Was there once about 8 years ago and ended up refusing to pay for half our food.

The funny thing is, you'll get loads on here raving about how it's the best place to eat in the whole county!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Went to Donegan's last week on a rare kid-free night out. Can't say we were impressed but we fancied a change from the Valley - rookie mistake. It wasn't overly busy, went in to the bar. Girl in a blue shirt standing there talking to some friends & didn't acknowledge us. Plenty of tables free so we chose the one in the corner under the telly where we were ignored by all of the wait staff. Eventually, the bar man gave us a menu and we ordered. Waiting on our meal & suddenly, one of the waitresses comes over and says that we'll have to move because she has a party of 5 walk in and she wants our table for them. Ordinarily it wouldn't have bothered me but on this occasion, it did as 1. no one was bothered when we arrived and 2. there were plenty of free tables, they could have pulled two together for the other party or asked them to go into the lounge. Anyway, we moved, food arrived eventually and it was grand. Chips were underdone but sweet potato fries were lovely. Mr. CL called for another pint and I asked for some water - neither arrived. Food was grand, but their service lets them down big time.

Next time hit Chicken Hut. No messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

IvoryTower wrote: »

That's exactly what I said to my husband. Staff need to be trained from the top down on customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That's exactly what I said to my husband. Staff need to be trained from the top down on customer service.

The last time we went it was like it was a click. Ths same people eating there that ate there 20 years ago. All welcomed by the staff. If you're not a regular you get different treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Cant fault it, visit occasionally about once a month.
    It can be hit and miss to get a free table so they are doing something right.
    The staff has changed to a younger age group some are good some arent up to it at all, but I have to say we couldnt fault most of them even the barmen and manager have changed or left, they really need to get a grip on the staff thing or it could slip. Lunch is good fresh and good value, on a par with The Valley which is equally as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Cant fault it

Faults it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Used to be nice but it's a rip off now in my opinion.

No value or service for money whatsoever.

Cant fault it

Faults it :pac:
    What I meant was i cant fault if for value and service, depends on what you eat or what time you call in at.
    No more faults than the other restaurants, staff have changed but the food is what I go for, if the staff arent up the task I will asked to be served, they are training younger staff some are suited to the job others arent, we also need some patience
    I dont expect to be in and out of a restaurant in 45 50 mins I go to relax eat and enjoy, if you go at peak times you expect to wait and food etc will take some time, if you want fast food try Supemacs or McDs, thats my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭peejay1986

whelan2 wrote: »
    The last time we went it was like it was a click. Ths same people eating there that ate there 20 years ago. All welcomed by the staff. If you're not a regular you get different treatment.

Massively true. I know of one family who attend multiple times each month and as a result will NEVER have to queue. I've jokingly pulled the family up on this before and they openly say that the staff will spot them, pump them up to the top and jump ahead of the often huge queue.

It's ridiculous how things are done there. Great for those on the right side, but it just increases the carnage there on busy nights.

Must say, I don't mind the place. Yes, I believe it's overated, hugely and very much living off its reputation, but the last meal we had there was nice and if I thought the service would be good, I'd go back. It's just a risk I wouldn't take when I know I would be treated better elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

macadam wrote: »
    if the staff arent up the task I will asked to be served, they are training younger staff some are suited to the job others arent, we also need some patience

I don't think you can blame it solely on younger staff. The staff on the night we were there have been working there for years. The problem is they actually just don't care, or as another poster said, they are looking after a certain click of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I live near both the Valley Inn and Donegan's.

I have never noticed an issue with staff in either.

However, for me, the Valley Inn wins hands down both in terms of quality of food and, particularly, value for money.

The Valley is also a more pleasant dining experience. The last time that I was in Donegan's, we were in the bar. The empty table of 4/5 beside us was occupied by 8 (!!) people half way through our meal resulting in 2 of their table essentially sitting at our table.

It was uncomfortable. We quickly finished and left.

I don't think you can blame it solely on younger staff. The staff on the night we were there have been working there for years. The problem is they actually just don't care, or as another poster said, they are looking after a certain click of people.
    We were in Donegans last Saturday the manager has left so has a long term bar man, most of the staff are students, seems like there are only two or three of the older staff present and all in the main restaurant, we normally eat in the bar and never really are left waiting, most if our visits are Saturday or sundays in the afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Absolutely right. Food and service is so half arsed.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Massively true. I know of one family who attend multiple times each month and as a result will NEVER have to queue. I've jokingly pulled the family up on this before and they openly say that the staff will spot them, pump them up to the top and jump ahead of the often huge queue.

It's ridiculous how things are done there. Great for those on the right side, but it just increases the carnage there on busy nights.

Must say, I don't mind the place. Yes, I believe it's overated, hugely and very much living off its reputation, but the last meal we had there was nice and if I thought the service would be good, I'd go back. It's just a risk I wouldn't take when I know I would be treated better elsewhere.

Au contraire...you also know of one family member who had this experience and hasn't set foot in the place since: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99296947&postcount=2106

;)

That fúckin Chicken Hut post is gold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

That fúckin Chicken Hut post is gold :D

If only there was some way to offer appreciation to a post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Was in D'Vine last night for the first time. I would have no problem recommending it. Nice spot. Looking forward to next visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Scotty # wrote: »
    Was in D'Vine last night for the first time. I would have no problem recommending it. Nice spot. Looking forward to next visit.

There last week.

Busy, food was nice, and reasonably priced. Great wine menu too.

Visited similar time last year and wasn't as nice, so gave it a break.

You know Smithstown Diner? I think it's called Daves now? or Daveys?

Is it still open, and does it open on sundays, does anyone know? Havent been into it since it was taken over and wouldnt mind a mooch about. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

You know Smithstown Diner? I think it's called Daves now? or Daveys?

Is it still open, and does it open on sundays, does anyone know? Havent been into it since it was taken over and wouldnt mind a mooch about. :)

It's called Dave's Diner and is very much open. It opens on Sundays from 8am till 4pm. Check their Facebook page in case of any late changes to those times ( I saw they had to close a couple of Sundays ago due to no water or power).

What's Trinity Quarter like, please?

Also, is there anywhere that does a half decent replica of a Bento Box in striking distance of Drogheda, please??

Is Relish gone or just a name change coming see it closed on Laurence St??
    Closed for a while in Dundalk now the name is Relish the Thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

I saw a notice in the Art Gallery that Relish was closing on 15 Feb, and that the cafe would reopen at a later date under new management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭peejay1986

What's the deal with the one in Dundalk? Haven't been for a while so didn't know of the name change. Has one of the staff members taken it over?

Never been a fan of the Relish in the gallery. Went twice and it was a bad experience both times in terms of food, but mostly service. Thought it was miles behind the other branches.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    What's the deal with the one in Dundalk? Haven't been for a while so didn't know of the name change. Has one of the staff members taken it over?

Never been a fan of the Relish in the gallery. Went twice and it was a bad experience both times in terms of food, but mostly service. Thought it was miles behind the other branches.

Always found it good, waiting on a seat could be an issue at times so they were doing something right. the toilets were a trek for elderly or when you were full..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭enricoh

Think the one in bettystown is closed for refurbishment, haven't seen any vans outside doing anything though.
    Tough oul game the restaurant lark.

enricoh wrote: »
    Think the one in bettystown is closed for refurbishment, haven't seen any vans outside doing anything though.
    Tough oul game the restaurant lark.

Is the one at Southgate still going??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Is the one at Southgate still going??

Passed by earlier today and all looked normal enough.

Advertisement