Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

IvoryTower wrote: »
    is that a good thing

Not really sure, personally, but they have a Michlein Star for their Malahide location, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Not really sure, personally, but they have a Michlein Star for their Malahide location, so fingers crossed.

I don't *think* people are after a Michlein Star restaurant? I think being up their own **** caused the problem with the Eastern...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

i wouldnt say no

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

i wouldnt say no

Username checks out :D

Oliver Dunne’s also run a number of “grill” type places so hopefully it will be less Michelin and more “accessible” to us ordinary folk (I was going to say Normal People but that has other connotations.....)

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    I don't *think* people are after a Michlein Star restaurant? I think being up their own **** caused the problem with the Eastern...

I'll be honest, I always felt the Seaboard was aiming at trying to present itself as such an establishment. The problems that developed were that the standards of the actual food and menu dropped drastically below the image it was presenting.

I think there's room for a Michlein Star location, or a place that has notions. But you've got to make sure you keep somewhat of your menu grounded too. A burger thats gourmet, or some realistic dishes to appeal somewhat to the reality of Drogheda's masses.

the Seaboard lost it's way when it seemed to drop all of that. But I can think of three or four places in town that seem to always be packed while aiming itself at a more "refined" clientele (I feel that sounds pretentious but I'm not sure how else to describe that target market).

^^ I’d absolutely agree. I’d been going to ESB since around 2008, and always enjoyed its vibe and food and drink offering. Over the years, we must have spent thousands there, looking back on it. It was, IMO, a cut above other local restaurants at the time, and we actively promoted it, entertained friends there, were regulars and it formed part of our anniversaries, birthdays and Christmases

Then, around 2017/18, it lost its way. It got notions. I believe it started to believe its own publicity and reviews.

The menu changed, the wines changed and, most importantly, the philosophy of satisfying the customer evaporated. It became more about the owner/operator than the diner. We stopped going and, so it would seem, did many others. Such a shame.

There’s certainly a place for a higher end restaurant in Drogheda. I look forward to the opening of the Bryanstown Social in the hope it fits into that niche market.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

I was a big fan of the ESB and hope the new Bryanstown restaurant is more along the lines of Bon Appetit, we have any god's amount of run of the mill eateries in Drogheda and as Ireland's biggest town a michelin standard restaurant wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I think the name pretty much says what type of restaurant it'll be. The "Social" name would make me believe it will be a more casual theme, rather than high end Michelin Star cuisine. Doesn't mean they won't be going for quality though!

The group has another social eatery in its ranks and I reckon it'll take a similar approach here.

Looking forward to seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Gosh I miss the ESB&G chicken wings and warm potato salad.:(

• Advertisement

Pipmae wrote: »
    Gosh I miss the ESB&G chicken wings and warm potato salad.:(

Was the Duck Confit for me. Was so, so nice.

They were the original gourmet burger for me but they got passed out elsewhere when fancy burgers became trendy, by time they took it off the menu it wasnt great anyway. The crab cakes were amazing, they started off about 7e but ended up 13e, gone in two bites but daaammnn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Bon Apetit hasn't has a michelin star for a few years now, they deliberately changed tack to move away from that style and went more casual. It's not like they lost it for slipping either, just changed approach.

Excited for Bryanstown to open, its a class space and with the right people running it, the potential is massive (as we all saw before tbf)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Fifty4 is not reopening. Shame as I had not had a chance to try it and had heard only good things about it.

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    Fifty4 is not reopening. Shame as I had not had a chance to try it and had heard only good things about it.

That is a shame. I often had lunch there on a Friday and watched the world go by.

I thought it was okay, the fish meals in kings were always a lot nicer so I didn't go much. Shame anyway, they're both gone now!

So thats relish x 2, kings, fifty4

edit: kanoodle not gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭furiousox

"Kanoodle" is still open I think, name changed to Soi40.
    Shame about Fifty4, always enjoyed eating there.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dant85

Yep, can verify Kanoodle still open!

Same ownership under a different name...same food with a few new additions

It was ran independently to the Kanoodle chain by local family and the guys have left the Franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

King's defo gone lads? That's a serious loss if true :(

Talkin to the owner of the farm shop across the road from relish in Southgate just there and he said its still open.

King's defo gone lads? That's a serious loss if true ��

You can get a collection from their house. I see they've changed there Facebook to "Kings Catering". Big loss alright, nothing was even close to it imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

You can get a collection from their house. I see they've changed there Facebook to "Kings Catering". Big loss alright, nothing was even close to it imo

Thanks for that info, do you know whereabouts they are? It doesn't say on their FB page

connected1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that info, do you know whereabouts they are? It doesn't say on their FB page

You can message them on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I passed Bru and pizzeria on John st Saturday evening and both were closed , maybe another two casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

blingrhino wrote: »
    I passed Bru and pizzeria on John st Saturday evening and both were closed , maybe another two casualties.

Pizzeria stated on their Facebook they will reopen at some point 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

There was building work going on in the Pizzeria during the week.

There was building work going on there at the Pizzeria earlier in the lockdown. Maybe end of April / start of May I think it was. One day when I was passing it, a drain services truck was outside with the hose going inside. Not sure if it was due to something happening or planned as part of the work but the stink is something I won't forget in a hurry.

I have a general query that isn't a restaurant review. I've heard from locals that Drogheda is better for eating out than Dundalk. How much better are restaurants in Drogheda? Haven't tried any of them yet, as it's nice to have wine when you're having an evening out together, so if we're going to get a cab to Drogheda, I'd like to know it's better than anything locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

I have a general query that isn't a restaurant review. I've heard from locals that Drogheda is better for eating out than Dundalk. How much better are restaurants in Drogheda? Haven't tried any of them yet, as it's nice to have wine when you're having an evening out together, so if we're going to get a cab to Drogheda, I'd like to know it's better than anything locally.
    You’ve correct my friend. A well known specialty in Dundalk is easy singles and toenails on toast and if your in to that your in that your in heaven. We’ve a bit more refined taste in drogheda. Let me know if you’re looking for a few tips for places to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭furiousox

Went to D'Vine for a late lunch yesterday, this was our first outing to a restaurant since those hazy carefree days of early March.

We pre-booked a table for 3pm Saturday and got an email on Friday asking us to confirm or cancel our booking, good idea I thought.

There used to be two menus in D'Vine, an early lunch/tapas menu which was replaced by the a la carte menu around 5pm I think.

There is only one "all day" menu now and while it's nice it is quite a bit dearer than the old early/tapas menu used to be.
    It's understandable as there are rising costs due to PPE etc and less capacity in the restaurant than there used to be.

Just served to remind me what good value the old lunch menu was (rib eye/chips for 11.99!)

We arrived at 3pm and there was one table occupied by a family of four.
    There were less tables than there used to be in the restaurant and all tables were bare, no cutlery etc.
    The waiting staff were wearing face visors.

I ordered the 10oz rib eye with chips, onion rings and peppercorn sce (25.95)
    Mrs ox went for two starters/tapas, smoked salmon on rustic bread (9.95) and fried prawn & chorizo in white wine (10.80)
    I ordered a glass of red wine (Bacchus Montepulciano d'Abruzzo) to go with the steak (7.00)

The food arrived and was very good, the steak was cooked to perfection (medium/rare) and was a decent cut of meat with no waste.
    Chips and onion rings were fine, sauce was nice too.

The smoked salmon was a decent sized portion and tasty.
    The prawns/chorizo dish was delicious but quite a small portion for the price.

We finished off with a nice cappuccino.

Total bill came to 57 euro.

I really enjoyed our meal and it was good to be back in one of our favourite local restaurants.

The whole dining experience was quite different to before though with bare tables and sanitisers/ppe everywhere.
    That's the way it has to be I suppose, and the restaurant is following the recommended guidelines which is good.

Could not fault the food at all, but I look forward to the day when this terrible virus is done away with and we can all relax completely and enjoy ourselves again.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Lemonade back open up at Tesco.

Still do a really love breakfast roll.

They have taken out a few tables so there's way more space between them. Hand-sanitizer in three locations. They've a little notebook when you go in they ask everyone to sign, with name and phone number, for contact tracing. I'd say it was about 2/3rds full (it was raining outside so no one sitting in the space outside) but still felt like no one was anywhere near me.

Paper plates, and a choice of metal or plastic utensils, which I feel is a little safety-theatre-ish; I trust them to wash the stuff between customers, at which point a paper or ceramic plate is much of a muchness. Likewise, no glasses but will hand you a can and straw. I'd 100% prefer a glass then, cause again, I trust they washed it.

I will say their mask etiquette wasn't great; when worn, they were below noses, and all of the staff were pulling their masks down when talking to people, regardless of whether they were behind the glass or not. That's a real frustration to me. At that point, you may as well not wear the mask. (I saw the same issue in Argos too today; staff pulling down the mask to talk to people). I personally feel it's not really in the community at the moment, so I don't mind a lack of masks, but if you're going to wear one, at least don't make it redundant immediately. Hopefully that improves.

Advertisement