Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Security

Options
  • 28-05-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Hiya, havent flown in a few years so havent been through with all the security checks and looking for some info, does all make-up have to go into those plastic bags, what about painkillers?? Will I have to empty out the kids beaker before going through?? Thanks a mill:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Don't know, I have to admit but the last time I went through Galway Airport I had to take off my shoes and belt and empty my pockets etc. Which is hilarious because in fact I was the pilot and only person on board. Well you never know I might hijack myself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Check out this.

Pretty much sums up all the requirements. They do tend to enforce them rigidly so to avoid unnecessary stress it would be best to arrive prepare, even moreso if you have kids with you. Enjoy the trip anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bonjo1983

You are only allowed carry liquids paste gels that are 100mls and under, you will be required to put them in a clear plastic bag (including make-up) it will save your hand baggage being hand searched.

cp251 I'd imagine the reason for you tkaing off your belt and shoes is in Galway i persume you go land side you have to pass through departures so the reason for pilots going through the same screening is to make sure ther's is nothing you could leave in there for passengers i.e a knife.

In theory of course that's true. But in truth I would have found it a lot easier to smuggle my arsenal in on my aeroplane. Which I would have loaded up another airfield which has no security. My 'passengers' would then storm out of the aircraft and take over, one snowy Christmas eve. Hoping that John McClain is still stuck in JFK.:D

Everyone knows airport security is mostly for show. It is nearly always easily bypassed. There was another interesting aspect of the check which I won't mention.

A lot of the smaller Airports cant afford a second exit landside for pilots and its the IAA that inforce Airport Security to make sure the same screening process that is carried out on passengers is also applied to pilots.

If it was durning flight time they would certinaly have to screen you as if you were a passenger.

Another interesting aspect, did it involve lube and rubber gloves lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

If you ask me all the Airports be it regional or local should be state controlled instead of posting Gardai there etc so easy for people to smuggle drugs and other scum things into our Nation..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Read in the paper recently that two Dept of Transport "undercover" staff managed to conceal forbidden items and get them through the security at Shannon. Apparently two staff in Shannon security have now been suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have to laugh , about 18 months ago I flew to the US.

The next morning I was packing my laptop bag ready for work and found a 18 inch long screwdriver I had left in there ..... and guess what that same bag was my hand baggage 12 hrs before flying from DUB-> Newark.

Gave me a bit of a start at the time.....

I came to the conclusion that really security is a bit ' hit and miss ' .

One question always puzzles me, why to people always wait until they are the head of the queue before emptying their pockets, removing coat etc, as though it's a big surprise that these rules apply to them

One question always puzzles me, why to people always wait until they are the head of the queue before emptying their pockets, removing coat etc, as though it's a big surprise that these rules apply to them

Same reason, women will get to the cash desk hand over the intended purchase and THEN fiddle about searching for their purse in their handbag. Then when they get their change they carefully place it back in the purse and then the handbag all the while standing in the queue. Where's the mad smilie, uuuuhhhh:mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(

OMG that is soooooo off thread , but sooooo true !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I find it laughable that you can purchase most of your prohibited liquids in containers > 100ml after the security check in Dublin which makes the rule pointless.

I think the idea behind the no liquids rule is to stop you bringing on explosives in a liquid form . Now the liquids you can buy behind security I don't think includes anything more explosive than a whiskey.

However I can never understand why they remove a nail clipper from you ,then you can buy a glass bottle which could be a weapon .

I am convinced this has more to do with money than security ( ie they can't afford to stop selling booze ).

Why prohibit deodorant etc when you can buy the same ones in bigger containers after security? You have got to wonder is it about the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 stephen_b

all liquids sold airside are scanned and checked before reaching the shops,infact all stock for shops airside pass through an xray machine before reaching the shelfs.

No you are missing the point , it's not the deodorants as such that are banned.

It's the containers.

After all that deodorant bottle could be filled with something else ( explosive ).

Of course the rather silly 100ML rule is just that , silly , I think they just had to have rules in place and had to have a line you cannot cross etc.

I have long since given up trying to understand the security rules when flying , they are different in every airport, for example at LHR now you don't remove laptops. In the US you have to remove shoes , here you don't ( unless you have boots ) .
    I had a sweatshirt on last week flying thru JFK and had to remove that , made no sense at all.

Just have to submit to it, one thing for sure you will never ever win an argument with these guys , best to be polite after all they are only doing the job as they have been trained.

The days of shoes being removed on this side of the atlantic are gone unless they full of metal and set off the arch then they need to be moved and screened.

As for removing jumpers and jackets its just easier to screent the passenger, if you were to beep or were randomly selected for a hand search its alot easier to search someone thats just waering a t-shirt instead of a jumper or jacket.

All liquids sold airside are screened before being passed airside. Alot of people say "but sure its under 100ml its nearly empty" security staff are instructed to go by the size of the container and not how much is left in it.

Alot of people also have problems with taking off there belts, the reason being most buckles are metal and set off the arch and the other reason being its very simple to conceal i small blade in a belt and would be seen on the xray machine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

stephen_b wrote: »
    all liquids sold airside are scanned and checked before reaching the shops,infact all stock for shops airside pass through an xray machine before reaching the shelfs.
    Are they really doing anything to that pallet of litre bottles of Ballygowan to get it through security? They are not doing any checks on it to make sure it's not one of these magical binary explosives that we are supposed to be so scared of, and they are not doing any checks on the glass bottles of alcohol that they flog in duty free either as I've not noticed any of the seals being broken on stuff I've bough.

It's all just a bunch of FUD to try and keep the population scared of some non-existant bad guys.

The seals dont have to be broke, alot of airports now have Xray machines to scan bottles and this tells them whats in the bottle weather or not its harmfull, there fairly expensive so thats why there not at the passenger screening point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So your telling me there are now xray machines that can scan a bottle and determine if it contains water/ whiskey/ mythical binary explosive/ perfume or not? Somehow I'm not convinced.

Anyway, I'm currently sat waiting on a flight in Dublin and just walked through the security a few minutes ago. The woman behind me had a full bottle of water which she had allegedly just purchased from the shop before security. I watched the security bloke pick it up, look a little confused for a moment and then walk around the scanner and hand it back to the woman saying "Ah, go on then, did you just buy this upstairs? Well the seals not broken so off you go."

At least he wasn't a muppet about it and he clearly knew these restrictions are a load of rubbish himself.

Omigod a security screener with common sense. What next? Actually I did get an easy run through security ad Dublin once. As it happened I knew the girl. She knew me. We'll leave it at that. Just as well I am a nice guy really:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Just a little one for the wind, I do a bit of flying for fun on the weekends, and often go away on trips to the UK and mainland europe. Usually in aircraft ranging from 2 seaters to 10 seaters. Despite me being the pilot of my own aircraft, or being a crew member, we go through the same security as the passengers. i.e. shoes, belts, etc. off even though we're flying our own light aircraft. It's annoying but at the end of the day it's all towards everybodys safety. Lump it or leave it.

Flyer1 wrote: »
    ... it's all towards everybodys safety.
    Thats the bit which I'm not convinced about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 qnhhpa

I'm not convinced either. Its just a publicity exercise to demonstrate to the public how 'secure' the airports are and flying in general is. Its a bit like the army checkpoints on border crossing roads between the north and south in times past. The checks only existed on the main roads - all the locals and whoever else wanted used the back roads.

Anyone can bring matches/cigarette lighter on board. Remember the 'shoe lace bomber'?. Those duty free bottles could be dangerous. I'm sure a determined lunatic could cause plenty of mayhem.

Admittedly the security is a deterant. But it is also a massive inconvenience and irritation. It puts me off flying.

cp251 wrote: »
    Omigod a security screener with common sense. What next?

the problem isnt about common sense, the IAA send around people checked in on flights to try pass through security, if that had of been an IAA person with the water the airprt would of been hit with a hugh penalty.

Its all very well to say ah sure your ok mam go on ahead and a few minutes later shes approaching sayin shes department of transport and the security persons job is on the line for not doing what he's instrucked to do.

The problem lies with the rules set by the Iirsh Aviation Authority not with the security at airports as they HAVE to comply with the rules issued as if said if they let someone off and its the IAA there job could be on the line.

robinph wrote: »
    So your telling me there are now xray machines that can scan a bottle and determine if it contains water/ whiskey/ mythical binary explosive/ perfume or not? Somehow I'm not convinced.

there ay go

http://www.optosecurity.com/en/optoscreener.php

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Is there anyone else here who would say they dont find the security measures a big inconvinience? Personally I dont mind it at all... so I organise myself when im packing.. I keep my liquids in small containers and put them in a ziplock bag which I put into my handbag.. not too difficult.. arrive at the airport- go to securty and remove my belt and sometimes shoes depending on what ones im wearing, throw it all in the tray and walk on through... also with dublin airport anyway I dont find the queues to be huge.

I cant understand why people have gripes with the extra security measures.. it is for everyones safety and it makes pasengers feel more secure IMO.

Has anyone here ever flown from Waterford airport? The security between the public and airside areas is ok except for the shop that has an opening onto both public and airside areas. Basically the shopkeeper has two hatches serving each side at the same time. The sterile airside area can be easily compromised. A bit of a joke imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Thats the bit which I'm not convinced about.
    qnhhpa wrote: »
    I'm not convinced either. Its just a publicity exercise to demonstrate to the public how 'secure' the airports are and flying in general is.

Are you being serious? Would you feel safer then if none of these checks were in place? Even if they are random checks and a slight inconvenience? Anyone with some common sense should be fully ready for the security checks to get in and out as quickly as possible.

It's all just a bunch of FUD to try and keep the population scared of some non-existant bad guys.

I think its been proven these "non-existant bad guys" do exist.

Are you being serious? Would you feel safer then if none of these checks were in place?
    Any new "security" measures that have been brought in in the last 7 years do absolutely nothing to make me feel any safer in the skys and do not achieve anything as far as actually making it harder for bad guys to do bad stuff in an airport or aircraft. All they do manage to do is scare the population into thinking that everyone is trying to kill them, which is actually what their aim is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 qnhhpa

Would you feel safer then if none of these checks were in place? Even if they are random checks and a slight inconvenience?

I wouldn't feel less safe if these checks weren't in place but I would feel less hassled and put upon.
    Anyone with some common sense should be fully ready for the security checks to get in and out as quickly as possible.

And we should all 'baa' contentedly as we are fleeced.

I'm not saying there is no need for security but it is OTT. It generates control based on an atmosphere of fear.

Along with various charges, limitations on luggage, two hours of check in, shuffling in queues, an hour waiting for baggage and being treated as an item to process through a system, security adds to the hassle of the whole flying experience.

Advertisement