Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a few questions on having a nose piercing

Options
  • 28-05-2008 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maryjane1

hi, ive had a good look round this site and i cant find the answers to my questions so can anyone help me.

my 13 year old daughter wants her nose pierced. myself and hubby have debated it for a few months and decided she can because we are sure she will look after it and i would rather bring her than have her sneak off somewhere dodgy and have it done. so anyways can someone explain the age restrictions beacuse it isnt very clear. can she have it done with parental consent or not at all until she reaches sixteen. i know where she can get it done regardless but id like to bring her somewhere more reputable (ie safer).

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Fair play to ye for wanting your daughter to get pierced correctly and safely.

As far as I'm aware, the age limit is 16 with parental consent. Don't bring her in to Claires or the like as it will just cause more hassle in the long run for her and her nose :) Maybe call up a few reputable piercing shops and see what their stance is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Unfortunately in Ireland (and many other countries) the piercing industry isn't regulated, so there are no clear cut laws, just studio's doing what they think is right. Most places the minimum age is 16.

I don't know whether they will budge on that, even with parental consent and you guys present. Best advice I can offer is to go talk to the decent places, explain your situation and see what they say, don't bring your daughter obviously the chances of them rejecting her is high enough because of her age.

hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maryjane1

yeah i think ill ring around a couple of places and see what they think. thanks for the help folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xXxhotstuff xXx

im 16 and got my nose pierced three weeks ago but i had to have a parent with me.. even at that they kept telling me im very young to be getting it done even though loads of people in my school have had it done since first year.. i think most places require parental consent for under 16yr olds though!!

I'd say they'd definitely require parental consent for a 13 year old - I was 19 or so when I got my nose done and they asked for ID. It's also quite possible that 13 is too young to get a nose piercing at all - when I was in one of the reputable places, a girl came in with her mum and they were refused because she was only 13, and it was just for a cartilage/tragus piercing I believe. I know you don't want her to go somewhere dodgy (especially not to get it done with a gun :eek:) but 13 IS very young to be getting a nose piercing and you shouldn't feel bullied into letting her do it. Can she not wait until 14 or 15? I think if a reputable piercer were to have reservations about it, there's a good reason. Nose piercings are much harder to look after than earlobes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement