Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ADSL "N" Wireless modem to use with BT Broadband

Options
  • 28-05-2008 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a new Wireless modem to replace my existing BT Voyager modem which is good for wired connections but terrible for wireless. I have a 2MB BT connection and the wireless performance is appalling.

Has anyone replaced their vendor wireless modem for a better one? I've been looking at:

Linksys WAG325N Wireless-N ADSL2+ Gateway

and

NETGEAR RANGEMAX™ NEXT WIRELESS N ADSL 2+ MODEM ROUTER - DG834N

If anyone has used these or others, please advise. I've seen reviews from all over the place but I'd like to hear users specific to Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

stanley1 wrote: »

Its not a DSL modem though.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've been using the DG834N for some months now, and I must says its a great piece of kit. I did have a problem recently where it suddenly stopped working, but thankfully Netgear released a firmware update. (bringing it to draft 2.0 compliant too)

I've recently bought a Linksys WAG160N (draft 2.0). Only had it running a couple days but seems to be just as good as the Netgear.

However on both units I'm only able to get a max connection of 130mb on my Inspiron 1720 4965AGN, Vista Ult. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to connect any faster.

When I get a chance I'll buy a couple of wireless N USB dongles and test them with both units.

ambrose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

This is my weapon of choice.:)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363

I have 9 of them set up in various locations without any problems.
    Good transfer speeds and improves DSL stats on a poor line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Don't forget that to get the maxium benefit you will need a compatible wireless n card or usb for you laptop/pc.

• Advertisement

7aurelius wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a new Wireless modem to replace my existing BT Voyager modem which is good for wired connections but terrible for wireless. I have a 2MB BT connection and the wireless performance is appalling.

What steps have you taken to improve the wireless performance? No sense in buying a new router without making sure there arent other issues involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm using the Linksys WAG325N on BT and it has fantastic range compared to my old Belkin.

The n part will ONLY work with other Linksys cards though that should change later as the n standard becomes standardised and there are firmware updates..but I'm not holding my breath.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I use the DG834PN modem/router...rather excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have any non-N clients it's pointless.

54G WiFi is faster than most people's Internet.

If signal is poor ALL WiFi (especially N) has to change modulation and slow down, in extreme dropping to 1Mbps. Unless you have an ancient 11Mbps WiFi or something broken, the new N based WiFi may not solve what ever problem you have. ALL the clients must be "N" too or advantage is mostly lost.

A 2nd problem is that it seems to me most of the N routers have not enough CPU power to sustain full speed ethernet cable and full speed N WiFi. The effect of underpowered router CPU on WiFi or wired connection is that latency rises. I've seen pings on LAN rise to 150ms on some Routers with one 108Mbps WiFI client and 2 x 100Mbps LAN clients. If there is only Internet traffic you won't notice as it's limited to your connect speed anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

watty wrote: »
    If you have any non-N clients it's pointless.

54G WiFi is faster than most people's Internet.

True, but some people want fast internal networks for streaming video, etc.
    If signal is poor ALL WiFi (especially N) has to change modulation and slow down, in extreme dropping to 1Mbps. Unless you have an ancient 11Mbps WiFi or something broken, the new N based WiFi may not solve what ever problem you have. ALL the clients must be "N" too or advantage is mostly lost.

Well there is the Linksys WRT600N, which is a dual band router with two separate radios, a 2.4GHz radio and 5GHz radio. So if you put all your b/g devices on 2.4GHz and all your n devices on 5GHz, then the b/g devices do not interfere with the n devices at all.

The trade off being that n devices on 5GHz have slightly les range then n devices on 2.4GHz, but very hndy if you have a mixed network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 7aurelius

Hi all, I just purchased an WPC300N linksys card which has "N" capabilities...thats why I'm looking for a "N" wirelss adsl modem/router. Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I will make a decision between WAG325N and the Netgear Rangemax now. Thanks again.

bk wrote: »
    True, but some people want fast internal networks for streaming video, etc.

Well there is the Linksys WRT600N, which is a dual band router with two separate radios, a 2.4GHz radio and 5GHz radio. So if you put all your b/g devices on 2.4GHz and all your n devices on 5GHz, then the b/g devices do not interfere with the n devices at all.

The trade off being that n devices on 5GHz have slightly les range then n devices on 2.4GHz, but very hndy if you have a mixed network.

Except until there is a way to do QOS, real 4Mbps average to 9Mbps peak video may not work on WiFi if ANYONE does anything else. (I've tried and it jitters even with one web browser. Hence Dlink ethernet over TV coax (not same as old coax ethernet) and home power line ethernet both will do even HDTV.

I suspect my Dlink MIMO has two radios as it seems to magically support an old 802.11b 11Mbps and 108Mbps turbo-g clients at the same time with no slow down of the 108Mbps.

The 5GHz has unfortunately a LOT less range. And of course for cordless VOIP handset nothing beats DECT with its base plugged into an ethernet cabled ATA /SIP adaptor. Someone even has a Skype /DECT base.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

kaizersoze wrote: »
    This is my weapon of choice.:)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363

I have 9 of them set up in various locations without any problems.
    Good transfer speeds and improves DSL stats on a poor line.

I agree with that, however if have problems with my Grandstream VoIP phone on the D-link. It just won't work even with STUN configuration. So if you use one of these, don't use the D-Link, go for the Linksys, that works fine in the same configuration.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Except until there is a way to do QOS, real 4Mbps average to 9Mbps peak video may not work on WiFi if ANYONE does anything else. (I've tried and it jitters even with one web browser. Hence Dlink ethernet over TV coax (not same as old coax ethernet) and home power line ethernet both will do even HDTV.

For about 6 months, I was streaming all my TV, at about 4Mbps from my media server to a PS3 over g with no issues at all, including others using the net at the same time.

Note however the point of the router that I pointed out, is that you keep all your normal internet activity on b/g and you only put the multimedia devices on n. Thus separate the networks and avoiding any interference.

Of course now I've got a wired network, so it is all academic to me now, but just FYI for anyone who is interested.

bk wrote: »

Will the ordinary pc wireless or laptop card or usb handle both 2.4GHz and 5GHZ?

dub45 wrote: »
    Will the ordinary pc wireless or laptop card or usb handle both 2.4GHz and 5GHZ?

Sorry I'm not 100% sure of your question.

A 802.11b/g pc wireless or laptop card can only handle 2.4GHz

A 802.11n pc wireless or laptop card should* be able to handle both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

* There is a lot of old early draft n gear that may have issues.

802.11a is also 5GHz band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ryaner012

has anyone tried using the belkin powerline AV F5D4074UK ?

Advertisement