Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMT/EMT-B/Paramedic/EFR/EMFR???....etc.

Options
  • 28-05-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm sure of you are sick of answering the same questions all the time but i'm just a little confused regarsd the whole EMT/Paramedic thing:confused:
    I was a member of a retained fire service in the midlands a few years back and completed the First Responder training as part of my duties. Due to personal reasons i had to leave the fire service about 4 years ago and am now considering a career as an EMT. Is my first responder training still any use? Also,starting from scratch,what do i do-apply through the HSE? I have noticed also most of the Emergency Ambulance personnel i see around my local area are all from the area-when you're training is complete is it possible to get stationed as convienantly as possible for youreself? (i have a house/mortage/wife etc. thats why i ask:D)
    Whats the diference between all the grades as above in the thread title?
    I have trade now and have a considerable salary but i just never got the satisfaction as i did when working with the Fire Service especially using my EFR skills so i am prepared to take a cut in salary-thats how much i want this!
    Sorry for all the questions! Hopefully somebody can set me straight...

Cheers!

P.s sorry-one more question! Does anyone know of any private ambulance services in the midlands-big or small?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'd say your experience will be of great assitance when it comes to interviews etc, but as far as I'm aware, your paramedic training would be from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭400R

Starting from scratch-i don't mind that-i would need the refresher anyway!:D

I don't like talking figures here and i don't expect anybody to publicly declare anything either! but if somebody wanted to PM me as to what a typical/average years salary would be including weekend rates,overtime etc. would be that would be great too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

To get into the HSE you have to apply through the public appointments service www.publicjobs.ie but they only advertise every so often. You are in luck though, they are committed to taking on an additional 180 student paramedics in the next year or so so keep a look out for the positions.

As far as I know, you don't get to choose where you will be stationed but I could be wrong, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

The grades are according to PHECC: CFR/EFR/EMT/Paramedic/Advanced Paramedic/ECP

EMT is the next step up for you but it's tough at the moment to train yourself. The only options are joining a private company (or maybe the fire service again) and getting them to sponsor you - though you will have to sign a training contract and it's about 3 years minimum with the big companies AFAIK. 99% of the private work is patient transfers.

I have heard some news regarding one or two new private training schools opening up to train people to EMT but I don't think there is anything definitive yet (and this country needs it).

And then there is the HSE, if you get in, which will train you to Paramedic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 medic5

Hi, the HSE paramedics are now like the Gardai. When you qualify you can be posted anywhere. You could the EMT course (5 weeks) and do a few hours with private ambulance companies. The paramedic course is now a 2 year course. I got a place on an EMT course with a private ambulance training company in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

Hello all,

Hi I know your all very sick of answering the same questions but im so lost.:confused:
    IM trying very hard to become an emt or paramedic. I have completed my efr course, joined the order of malta done my provisional c and d licences and i am now waiting on the full test as well as this i have appied for work with all of the private companies but to no avail:mad:. I am also doing the emt course privately in the irish ambulance trainning centre in galway which i would rather not have to do but at this stage anything that will help!!
    So if anyone can tell me where i am goin wrong or anything else i can do it would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

• Advertisement

alrilad wrote: »
    Hello all,

Hi I know your all very sick of answering the same questions but im so lost.:confused:
    IM trying very hard to become an emt or paramedic. I have completed my efr course, joined the order of malta done my provisional c and d licences and i am now waiting on the full test as well as this i have appied for work with all of the private companies but to no avail:mad:. I am also doing the emt course privately in the irish ambulance trainning centre in galway which i would rather not have to do but at this stage anything that will help!!
    So if anyone can tell me where i am goin wrong or anything else i can do it would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Well you are doing pretty much everything you need to do - you're well on your way to becomming an emt. Not sure what you are asking really? :confused: Just do the course in galway and you will be an emt. Paramedic at the moment can only be done if you get into the HSE or DFB.

Rumors are OMAC will have its EMT course rolled out much sooner than you think.

Sorry I dont really know what im asking myself!!:o I dont want do this emt course and not be able to find work after!! as well as that I would Much prefer working with HSE rather than the privates. Will I find it hard to get work??

:D There are NO unemployed EMT's or Paramedics in Ireland. They are being swept up left, right and centre by HSE and Privates :D
    I think the HSE may be taking on EMT's also, for PTS runs. I think I saw something about it on one of the postings here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320528

You probably have missed this because you are not an EMT, but at least they are looking for EMT's, and may look for them again???? :)

When you go for interview at least you would be on the practitioner level on the PHECC scale, would have to stand for something at interview.

Thanks medic5 that makes me feel much better ive spent months trying to gather imformation on this and in one day I have found out more. Im goin to go ahead with my emt trainning and just hope I have my full licences before the HSE begin recuiting as I hear it will be september!!! Which reminds me how long will I have from the time they advetise till the time I need my licencies??? Panic Stations:P

Thanks for the replies there much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scott22

You have until the day of the aptitude test to get your licences, you wont be let sit it without your full C1 and D1

• Advertisement

Will the apptitude test be long after the advert in the paper????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

For the first while, you could eb stationed anywhere!, theyl generally try to accomodate you if you ask, in the same region like and its a matter of keep trying until your put where you want! :)

For pay, visit
    http://iarcsiptu.org/index.html , and look for pay along the top!

Your welcome alrilad, I'm not sure but the aptitute test is usually close enough to the closing date. A friend of mine applied everywhere for driving course for the C1, she ended up doing it in Castlebar on a cancellation list, and managed to get it just in time for the last round. Unfortunately she went down on the interview :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

hey ya
    im new to this medical world im very interested in it i would love somday to become a Paramedic buut i dont know the road to it. I am interested in doing the EFR course in Ballinasloe are they a private organisation when i complete the EFR course what is the next step in the process is it the EMT is this course held in Ballinasloe also is it difficult to find a job as an EMT what are the entry requirments there is an aptitude test what is this like where will i find extra info about the ambulance service

sorry for all the questions
    butu im just so so interested

please help

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This looks suspiciously like shilling, if it is, there won't be any more warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

is anybody aware of when there will be a EMT course starting in Ballinasloe im gonna do the EFR course in the middle of Aug jee im so looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 choper

Hey everyone,
    My brain is melting.. I'm living in the midlands and am trying to become an EFR... I have already applied to a company that cancelled on me twice and am eager to do this course... If there is anyone here that can tell me who dose the course and a phone number for them I'd be very greatful

Thanks,
    Choper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

timmywex wrote: »
    For the first while, you could eb stationed anywhere!, theyl generally try to accomodate you if you ask, in the same region like and its a matter of keep trying until your put where you want! :)

For pay, visit
    http://iarcsiptu.org/index.html , and look for pay along the top!

The pay scales on that website are a little out of date, the latest benchmarking has increased them above those rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

Elessar wrote: »
    The grades are according to PHECC: CFR/EFR/EMT/Paramedic/Advanced Paramedic/ECP

hey iam just wonding where you saw this v intested in the ecp be cant find it on phecc website

hey iam just wonding where you saw this v intested in the ecp be cant find it on phecc website

ECP is emergency care practitioner, i.e. doctor, as far as I know. It's on the PHECC website if you download the form that maps out the different levels (cant find it now myself). CPGs for ECP have not been published yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement