Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Holiday Abroad

Options
  • 28-05-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey, I'm thinking about going on a surfing holiday abroad with a couple of friends- (All of us are relative beginners).
    Can anyone recommend a location, I was thinking about Portugal, the Azores or the Canaries?
    Also - what's the craic with boards? Is it a hassle bringing them on flights etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

portugal has some great spots
    ive been to ericeira and peniche a few times.
    its cheap and the waves are just like ireland but the water is so much warmer, the sun helps too!

ericeira is a great spot, beginner and pro surf spots and its only 40 minutes from lisbon airport.

no hassle at all bringing boards. you can rent a car for cheap and just bring a soft rack for the car. get full insurance though coz you'll probably end up scratching the crap outta the roof with the rack.

theres a place called the ecolodge in ericeira where i stayed and it was amazing, cheap and a great spot.
    i booked it through a place called www.surfholidays.com
    works out around 25quid a night if you get 4 people going.

there are a couple of cool hostels in peniche too which is around 30 minutes from ericeira but there arent as many bars. more surf orientated town though

€1 a beer is nice too!

pm me if you have ay questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 suzr

Just back from an epic week in Spain. Toured the North coast with a company called Surf Atlantico www.surf-atlantico.com. They made the whole trip really laid back and hassle free. The guys who run it (Dan and Ben) really know their stuff and took us to a few really out of the way beaches. They provide gear and tuition if you need it (really decent Circle One boards). It was great not having to drive or worry about lugging gear around. Perfect for all levels. Can't get over how beautiful this part of Spain is- definately going back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Gang of us went to Fuertoventura last year with a crowd called www.homegrown.es. They do everything from just board rental to complete accomodation surfari schools. Very friendly, experienced and will adapt trips to suit your level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Just back from Famara beach in Lanzarote, great surf, laid back place, but I do think the conditions were particulary good last week. Good quality boards for rental too so probably less hassle than taking your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

suzr wrote: »
    Just back from an epic week in Spain. Toured the North coast with a company called Surf Atlantico www.surf-atlantico.com. They made the whole trip really laid back and hassle free. The guys who run it (Dan and Ben) really know their stuff and took us to a few really out of the way beaches. They provide gear and tuition if you need it (really decent Circle One boards). It was great not having to drive or worry about lugging gear around. Perfect for all levels. Can't get over how beautiful this part of Spain is- definately going back again.

Could it BE any more obvious that you work for them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ronanoc

I went to Biarritz last year for a week. I brought my board as well and there was no hassle taking it on the bus from the airport to the town. Great spot, really enjoyed it. It was grand bringing the board with ryanair as well.

I'm going to Ericeira in July (glad to see someone else recommending it!). Not bothering bringing the boards though because Aer Lingus seem to be a good bit more expensive than Ryanair for transporting them.

Advertisement