Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helmet sizing

Options
  • 28-05-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

hi, im just looking at getting a new helmet,, namely a catlike whisper
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/referrer/froogle/productID/6851/groupID/2/categoryID/21

question is this i have tried on a medium 54-58 which fits snug and the helmet would probably stay on without the straps and the large which is 59-62 therefore being a bit roomier, just wondering if you would recommmend a helmet that is snug and wont need too much adjusting although could be a bit tight if it gets hot, or a roomier helmet which could be a bit loose at times. bit of a conundrum if you will but seeing as the helmets cost a packet i thought id run it by the wiser heads on boards.

thanks,
    ps does anyone have one of these helmets? must say they look and feel great, very lightweight and low profile, plus lots of vents although v expensive.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I guess it's hard to say without trying both of them on. Personally I like a bit of wiggle room there and would tighten it up with whatever adjustment mechanism comes with a helmet. Thing about something that it is so tight you wouldn't need the chin strap is that while it may feel fine now, it may not necessarily be a few hours into a ride.

By the way, Parkers only have it in medium, according to your link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

thanks eltonto, yeah i know what you mean. i reckon im a bang on 58 which means im just edging into the bigger sized one.

anyone else any ideas?? thanks. i plan to do trips of 3 to 4 hours and spend around 130plus so want to make sure i get the sizing right for starters!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Well i use a Giro Hex in medium 55-59 cms, and thats tight on me but a good fit, i have the adjuster at the back out as far as it'll go, i find it very comfortable,.
    I had to send the large one i got originally back as it was nearly spinning round my head:D even on the tightest fitting.

Helmets at the best of times make a person look like Toad from Mario brothers this one sits nicely on yer noodle.

Its geared towards the MTB side of things but you can un clip the visor too (if you are a visor hater which there seems to be more and more of these days)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8585

If your spending a good bit of bread then something like this might suit. ( though im not sure about that color yluck!)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28052

thanks for the links the giro looks pretty good although pricey as well.,just measured the head again and its 58.6 which is right in the middle of the medium and large. i have tried the two helmets alright and to be honest am none the wiser as its hard to tell from just a 20 second fit.:(:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Well the first link was for the hex medium which based on your head size would be prefect, well worth the 50 odd quid if you ask me. Then only thing really would be to go in to some store and check it out, Cycleways on parnell st have a decent set of guys working there and are only too happy to help.....generally

Advertisement