Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wireless

Options
  • 28-05-2008 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a problem connecting my laptop to my wireless router. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have setup the wifi gateway as described in the manual. The modem is connected via an ethernet connection to my pc and the wireless is enabled.
    I am able to connect to the internet no problemon my pc but my laptop (hp pavillion) cant seem to find the network a lot of the time even though it can find other networks that are close by.

My laptop has connected to the internet a couple of times yet the other half it cant find the network. The ethernet, DSL , Internet and Wireless lights are all green on my modem (wireless light is fixed light i.e. not blinking).

The HP wireless assistant is enabled on my laptop as I can find other networks just not my own.

Any help from anyone would be brilliant as I didnt get much help from eircom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

ya havent got mac address filterin turned on do ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

darkskol wrote: »

My laptop has connected to the internet a couple of times yet the other half it cant find the network. The ethernet, DSL , Internet and Wireless lights are all green on my modem (wireless light is fixed light i.e. not blinking).

The HP wireless assistant is enabled on my laptop as I can find other networks just not my own.

Any help from anyone would be brilliant as I didnt get much help from eircom.

First off i would suggest using windows to control your wireless connection. The only idea i can think of would be to change the wireless channel on router on the 102.168.1.254 under the wireless section, you might not be seeing your Network because of interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

guil07 wrote: »
    ya havent got mac address filterin turned on do ya

I dont have it turned on no.
    First off i would suggest using windows to control your wireless connection. The only idea i can think of would be to change the wireless channel on router on the 102.168.1.254 under the wireless section, you might not be seeing your Network because of interference.

Cheers I'll give that a shot and see does it clear up the situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I dont have it turned on no.

Cheers I'll give that a shot and see does it clear up the situation.

192.168.1.254 is the address, the other one has a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Log into the modem and turn off all security (temporarily) and reboot the modem. See if you can connect.
    If not,
    Disable the wireless on the modem, reboot it, re-enable it and reboot again. See if you can connect.
    If not,
    Check the HP website or windows update to see if there is an updated driver available for the wireless card in the laptop.
    If no updates are available uninstall your existing drivers and reinstall. Make sure you have the driver disc before doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

My laptop has connected to the internet a couple of times yet the other half it cant find the network.

Have you been trying it close to the router? If your laptop has connected sometimes it could be a case of you're too far away. It could be the case that if you're seeing other wireless networks that you are getting interference and its limiting range. Try it real close to the router and maybe change the channels its on to see does that help.

Advertisement