Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scott Steiner Interview With Baltimore Sun

• 28-05-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

My interview with Scott Steiner a few weeks ago elicited more response than any of the Q&A's I’ve posted since starting the blog a little more than a year ago. In particular, Steiner’s unflattering comments about Ric Flair, Triple H and Shawn Michaels touched a nerve with readers. Some applauded the controversial Steiner for speaking his mind, while others accused him of being bitter and jealous.

In this follow-up interview, Steiner clarifies some of his statements and responds to his critics.

A number of people who saw your comments about Ric Flair, Triple H and Shawn Michaels said that you were bitter and jealous of their careers. What is your response?

I have nothing to be bitter about. I’ve made a lot of money, and more importantly, I’ve saved a lot of money. I’m not bitter. I love this business and that’s why I’m still in it. I’m just telling you the way it is, man. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

There’s no way I’m jealous, because there’s no way I would want their careers. For one thing, I couldn’t be Triple H because there’s no way I could [have sex] with Chyna. And he was doing that before she even got face reconstruction. There has only been two people in the history of the Howard Stern Show where they had them go to the bathroom to make sure [they were women] – Chyna and Nicole Bass. And she was on the show after the face reconstruction.

Look at Triple H’s career before he started (having sex with) the boss’ daughter: He lost to Ultimate Warrior in 30 seconds; he was losing to guys like Alex Wright in WCW; he lost to one of the Godwins in a pig slop match. And then all of a sudden he’s [having sex with] the boss’ daughter and he’s the toughest guy in the world. I’m not the only guy who thinks that. It’s no secret what Kurt Angle thought of Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Here’s one story I got from Kurt: Triple H was trying to block Kurt Angle from winning the [WWE] world title. He said in a meeting, “I think Kurt Angle’s too small.” And Jerry Brisco stood up and said, “Well, what do you think would happen if you guys fought for real?” And he sat down, shut his mouth and they ran with it.

Shawn Michaels is one of those wise-cracking guys who would say a smart comment to you, but then if you face him, he would run and cry somewhere. That’s exactly what happened one time when he was cutting down the Harris Brothers – I think it was Don Harris. Finally, he had enough. He waited until Shawn Michaels got in the room, kicked everybody out of the room, shut the door, grabbed him by the neck and was going to pound the [heck] out of him. A tear came down his eye. He turned around, started laughing and walked out. That is Shawn Michaels in a nutshell.

As for Ric Flair, I could go on and on. I was there one time when we were doing TV tapings at Center Stage [in Atlanta], and Rick Rude followed Flair around for about an hour and just totally blistered him. He told him he looked like hell and he was friends with the booker, totally blistering him. Finally, Flair had enough, left and did not come back to Center Stage until after the TV taping started. People think I’m making this stuff up.

Wahoo McDaniel could not stand him. He told me one time Blackjack Mulligan knocked Flair out with one punch. Jim Crockett at one time owned the NWA. I always liked David and Jackie Crockett, but I only met Jim Crockett once or twice, and everyone thought he was a [jerk]. But Flair had him as the best man in his wedding. Who has the promoter as his best man? Wahoo said back in the day when there were territories all around the country, one of the ways the boys made sure they wouldn’t get fired and wouldn’t have to worry about a job from week to week, is they would borrow money from the promoter. That way the promoter couldn’t fire them because he wanted to get his money out of them. Wahoo said that Flair had tax problems and Jim Crockett bailed him out, so there’s no way he was going to get rid of Ric Flair. Wahoo did not like him, did not like his wife – he called her the rat from Raleigh. The stories he would tell me – he just blistered him. And Flair had no idea.

When I was in WWE, it was right after Andre The Giant had died. We were doing a Raw in New Jersey. I was talking to Rene Goulet, who was an agent then. Everybody was pretty bummed out because everybody loved Andre – I only met him once, so I didn’t know him that well. Flair came by and did his usual, “Wooo!” I swear to God, Rene was so [angry], he wanted to punch him out. He said Flair lived like two hours from where Andre was buried in North Carolina. He said, “That piece of garbage. He wouldn’t drive two hours to pay his respects to Andre.” He wanted to kill him. I could go on and on.

I remember a world title match back in 1991 between you and Flair at a Clash of the Champions. What was it like working a match with him? Did you have a different opinion of him back then?

No. I always knew he was a piece of garbage. Flair never drew when I was in the NWA and WCW. Flair had all of his friends booking him on top and we were not drawing. People can say what they want, but I was there and we did not draw nothing. They may have papered the crowd to make it look good for a Clash or a pay-per-view, but we did not draw. I can say for a fact that Flair at that time did not draw a dime. And they say he was the greatest? If you want an honest opinion, you ask somebody who they would rather be on the card with – Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair. If they don’t say Hulk Hogan, they’re out of their minds. At least you knew when you were on a Hulk Hogan card you were going to get paid. Thank God in WCW we had guaranteed contracts. If we had been paid by the houses that we were drawing, we would have starved.

Here’s the deal with that Clash of the Champions. Things had gotten so bad, and they wanted to put the belt on somebody else. They actually wanted to make me the world champion. I had just beaten Ric Flair in a gauntlet match to set up for the Clash of the Champions. So we’re going over the match backstage, and he was like, “Yeah, I got this, I got that,” and then he went out there and sandbagged. It was one of the worst matches I ever had. And I was wondering, “What was that?” The match I had with him in the gauntlet was 10 times better. So I went in the back and I was disappointed. Then I heard a couple weeks later, he was telling people in the office that I got tired, I wasn’t ready for the spot. And to tell you the truth, I really didn’t want to be the world champion. At the time, I still wanted to team with my brother. About a month later, I was wrestling him in Philadelphia, and I gave him nothing. He tried to hit me with a chair, and I grabbed the chair and hit him with it. I just beat the crap out of him. I came back after our match and waited for him right at the door, waiting for him to say something. If he would have said something I would have clocked him one, but he didn’t say nothing. He put his head down and walked back to his dressing room. He’s a punk, man.

Flair was messed up on so many different levels. One time in Baltimore, Sting was going to beat Flair for the belt. So Flair pulled Sting aside, and Sting thinks he’s going to tell him something about the match or give him some big knowledge, and this is what he said to him, and Sting could not believe it. Flair said, “When you get married, it’s a big deal. When you have kids, it’s a big deal. But there’s nothing like winning the world title.” Sting came back and grabbed my brother and I and Lex [Luger], and said, “You’re not going to believe what Flair just told me.” That’s how messed up he was.

Here’s a story that Gary Hart told me. He was managing Muta at the time, and they were going to go in a different direction with Muta. Basically, they were thinking about getting rid of Gary Hart, and he was hurt by it. Back in the day, if you were NWA champion, different territories had to give you their vote to keep you as champion. Gary at one point was in Texas. So Flair at that time came by, whined and dined him and kissed his [butt]. So, later when they were thinking about firing Gary, he said to me, “I went up to him now to see if he could help me out, and that piece of [garbage] said he couldn’t do nothing for me.” Two or three weeks later, he was fired. That’s the way Flair was. He used you, and then he cut your throat.

Another thing that people took issue with was when you said that Triple H and Shawn Michaels were the only guys in WWE who respected Flair. What about guys like Batista, Chris Jericho and Big Show – who was crying during Flair’s Hall of Fame speech and during his farewell on Raw – and others?

Trust me, if it was a different time, Flair would cut their throats in a second, but he’s not in that position anymore. When Flair was in Evolution, he knew he needed those guys to keep his spot, so he helped them out. So I believe Batista has respect for him, because he helped him out. As far as Big Show, I think he’s a crier. He cried when Hulk Hogan retired, too. Can’t take him to a sad movie, either (laughs).

I think some people believe that you don’t respect anybody. Are there any guys in the business that you do have respect for?

The main guy you have to have respect for is Hogan. Hogan was the man. I remember when I was [in WWE], Chief Jay Strongbow used to call him the golden goose. He always said he could lay a golden egg. That was the respect that Hogan had – because he drew. The greatest is the one who draws the money. Would you rather be a 16-time world champion like Flair or would you rather be like Bruno, who had a 10-year run like he had and always sold out Madison Square Garden? That’s respect, man.

You have to respect the guys that have set attendance records and drew a lot of money – like “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. And, of course, The Rock, not only for what he’s done in wrestling, but what he’s doing right now in the movies, which is unprecedented, where a wrestler has been so successful in Hollywood. One of the guys that I most respect is Kurt Angle. When he left WWE, I think a lot of people thought he was the best wrestler there. Not only that, but he was an Olympic champion. I think a lot of people don’t realize how hard it is to be an Olympic champion. Wrestlers in general I respect, because it’s a hard life.

One of your biggest gripes with Flair is that he was cutthroat in his backstage politics. A lot of people say that Hogan was far worse when it came to playing politics.

Oh, God. No. Flair was 10 times worse, and Hogan was a man about it. Hogan, if he didn’t like you, he wouldn’t [BS] you; he just wouldn’t talk to you. He wasn’t like these guys that come up to you and be all “ha-ha” and tell you you’re the greatest and then go behind closed doors and stab you in the back. Hogan had the best contract because he had creative control, and everybody knew that. But he had that respect man, and you got to give it to him. Hogan was the master. He went up there and actually convinced Vince, and he beat Triple H for the belt. I loved it. You know it had to [tick] off Triple H. And it was the worst match ever. It happened right after Hogan had that great match with The Rock at WrestleMania. And then Triple H wrestled him [a month] later and it was horrible. And they say Triple H is such a great worker. Yeah, right.

Some strong words.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Some strong words.

I love the way he praises Hogan for drawing money in the WWE, but completely dismisses Flair's drawing power with the NWA, Flair for years kept the NWA going on two legs before Crockett had to sell up. Bit of a double statement there.

Also I believe HHH's IC and first World title reign took place BEFORE he started banging the bosses daughter? Of course, Scott Steiner was still in a meaningless feud with Rick over in WCW at that stage.

The NWA wasn't drawing in 1991 because Bill Watts had the book and was implementing stupid rules like "no off the top moves", I also believe Flair had departed for WWE shortly after that.

Anyway, what in the hell has Scott Steiner done to note in his singles career? Other than fall off the ring apron and throw a bag at the cameraman? He had a five year singles run in WCW, and accomplished nothing. So i can understand him being bitter, but he's taking it out on the wrong guy. Hogan is someone who he should be taking it out on as he, Hall and Nash pretty much hogged the main event spotlight during that entire run. Yet he'll kiss Hogan's ass without question.

And Hogan had a great match with Rock at Wrestlemania? Uh, that would be a no, it was a great moment, yes? But the match was f*cking horrible. HHH v Hogan at Backlash was equally horrible, primarily because Hogan was in horrible shape, HHH wasn't in the best of shape either as he'd bulked up by about 50lbs since his injury and couldn't move. But the fault does not fall solely at the feet of HHH in that match. Also Hogan and Undertaker stunk up the ring at Judgment Day that year too. Surely they can't all suck, Scott?

Steiner needs to lay off the juice, it's rotting his brain to the fact that he babbles worse than one of Angle's episodes on Bubba The Love Sponge!

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

To Scott Steiner, the classiest wrestler around!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuRQiJsNSks&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Scot Steiner is a no good, piece of sh*t who, who deserves to be hanged, have his head ripped of so I can sh*t down his throat, then drawn and finally quartered! What ever is left of his no good self, should then be burned and his contribution to pro wrestling should be erased, ala that Canadian fellow who died last June.

Seriously, he is a bitter, bitter man. I assume all that juice has gone to his head and he has just gone insane. His treatment of Flair is disgraceful. Sure Flair was no angel in WCW, but Scott and Rude were dogs to do what they did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The NWA wasn't drawing in 1991 because Bill Watts had the book and was implementing stupid rules like "no off the top moves", I also believe Flair had departed for WWE shortly after that.

VR!

False

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

rovert wrote: »
    False

Your doing it again, elaborate man!

• Advertisement

Your doing it again, elaborate man!

www.google.com

Cheeky, but I couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

rovert, please stop with the one word posts, it's a discussion forum

Fozzy wrote: »
    rovert, please stop with the one word posts, it's a discussion forum

All Im doing is pointing out that one statement is completely false which should be evident to most people on any Wrestling board..

Yes Scott Steiner is a delusional person with zero creditability, what is to be discussed here anyway?

Ive ellaborated for pages on this Pro Wrestling board and that got me nowhere.

All Im doing is pointing out that one statement is completely false which should be evident to most people on any Wrestling board..

I can tell you that it's not evident to everyone who uses this board so an explanation would be helpful. Or just nothing at all if you don't want to elaborate

• Advertisement

I can tell you that it's not evident to everyone who uses this board so an explanation would be helpful. Or just nothing at all if you don't want to elaborate

Sorry if assume some prior knowledge by other posters. You seriously dont see anything wrong with what VR posted?

I don't see anything wrong with what VR posted. It was better than False.

Sorry if assume some prior knowledge by other posters. You seriously dont see anything wrong with what VR posted?

I do, and I was going to post, but I didn't think that Scott Steiner was worth arguing about for me at the time. But I would have explained what I disagreed with, which is my point here

I don't see anything wrong with what VR posted. It was better than False.

Did you ever watch NWA from 1991?
    I do, and I was going to post, but I didn't think that Scott Steiner was worth arguing about for me at the time. But I would have explained what I disagreed with, which is my point here

My reply to VR isnt about Steiner though.

Nope, a year before I was born. Which is why I wanted you to elaborate.

My reply to VR isnt about Steiner though.

Mine was going to be. But if I were going to post about when Watts was booking WCW I'd have explained that too. Just let everyone in on the secret now and tell them when Watts started booking WCW

Nope, a year before I was born. Which is why I wanted you to elaborate.

Yet you wrote:
    I don't see anything wrong with what VR posted.

How did you know it was right?

He gave his opinion, and did not settle with one word, I don't see a problem with that. You say something he says was False yet you do not say how it was false and that leaves me misinformed.

Mine was going to be. But if I were going to post about when Watts was booking WCW I'd have explained that too. Just let everyone in on the secret now and tell them when Watts started booking WCW

Ill wait for VR to respond as Im genuinely surprised at him messing up that bad after listening to his podcast (cheap plug)

Flair left WCW the year before Watts became booker

rovert, if you drag threads off topic like this by making short posts where people don't understand you then you're running the risk of a ban

• Advertisement

He gave his opinion, and did not settle with one word, I don't see a problem with that. You say something he says was False yet you do not say how it was false and that leaves me misinformed.

Reading the below will leave you misinformed and his opinion was factually incorrect:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Scott Steiner, you legend! What fantastic comments. You are the man, Scott!

Oh wait....just read on past what he said about Triple H.

Yeah he's talking out of his ass alright.

Flair left WCW the year before Watts became booker

That is not the only problem with VR statement I took exception to.
    rovert, if you drag threads off topic like this by making short posts where people don't understand you then you're running the risk of a ban

I posted my false response to VR and not the whole board it is other posters prerogative to take it on themselves to responded to a statement not posted to them. VR statement relates to the following part of the Steiner interview and is very much topic as it relates to that time period:
    My interview with Scott Steiner a few weeks ago elicited more response than any of the Q&A's I’ve posted since starting the blog a little more than a year ago. In particular, Steiner’s unflattering comments about Ric Flair, Triple H and Shawn Michaels touched a nerve with readers. Some applauded the controversial Steiner for speaking his mind, while others accused him of being bitter and jealous.

In this follow-up interview, Steiner clarifies some of his statements and responds to his critics.

A number of people who saw your comments about Ric Flair, Triple H and Shawn Michaels said that you were bitter and jealous of their careers. What is your response?

I have nothing to be bitter about. I’ve made a lot of money, and more importantly, I’ve saved a lot of money. I’m not bitter. I love this business and that’s why I’m still in it. I’m just telling you the way it is, man. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

There’s no way I’m jealous, because there’s no way I would want their careers. For one thing, I couldn’t be Triple H because there’s no way I could [have sex] with Chyna. And he was doing that before she even got face reconstruction. There has only been two people in the history of the Howard Stern Show where they had them go to the bathroom to make sure [they were women] – Chyna and Nicole Bass. And she was on the show after the face reconstruction.

Look at Triple H’s career before he started (having sex with) the boss’ daughter: He lost to Ultimate Warrior in 30 seconds; he was losing to guys like Alex Wright in WCW; he lost to one of the Godwins in a pig slop match. And then all of a sudden he’s [having sex with] the boss’ daughter and he’s the toughest guy in the world. I’m not the only guy who thinks that. It’s no secret what Kurt Angle thought of Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Here’s one story I got from Kurt: Triple H was trying to block Kurt Angle from winning the [WWE] world title. He said in a meeting, “I think Kurt Angle’s too small.” And Jerry Brisco stood up and said, “Well, what do you think would happen if you guys fought for real?” And he sat down, shut his mouth and they ran with it.

Shawn Michaels is one of those wise-cracking guys who would say a smart comment to you, but then if you face him, he would run and cry somewhere. That’s exactly what happened one time when he was cutting down the Harris Brothers – I think it was Don Harris. Finally, he had enough. He waited until Shawn Michaels got in the room, kicked everybody out of the room, shut the door, grabbed him by the neck and was going to pound the [heck] out of him. A tear came down his eye. He turned around, started laughing and walked out. That is Shawn Michaels in a nutshell.

As for Ric Flair, I could go on and on. I was there one time when we were doing TV tapings at Center Stage [in Atlanta], and Rick Rude followed Flair around for about an hour and just totally blistered him. He told him he looked like hell and he was friends with the booker, totally blistering him. Finally, Flair had enough, left and did not come back to Center Stage until after the TV taping started. People think I’m making this stuff up.

Wahoo McDaniel could not stand him. He told me one time Blackjack Mulligan knocked Flair out with one punch. Jim Crockett at one time owned the NWA. I always liked David and Jackie Crockett, but I only met Jim Crockett once or twice, and everyone thought he was a [jerk]. But Flair had him as the best man in his wedding. Who has the promoter as his best man? Wahoo said back in the day when there were territories all around the country, one of the ways the boys made sure they wouldn’t get fired and wouldn’t have to worry about a job from week to week, is they would borrow money from the promoter. That way the promoter couldn’t fire them because he wanted to get his money out of them. Wahoo said that Flair had tax problems and Jim Crockett bailed him out, so there’s no way he was going to get rid of Ric Flair. Wahoo did not like him, did not like his wife – he called her the rat from Raleigh. The stories he would tell me – he just blistered him. And Flair had no idea.

When I was in WWE, it was right after Andre The Giant had died. We were doing a Raw in New Jersey. I was talking to Rene Goulet, who was an agent then. Everybody was pretty bummed out because everybody loved Andre – I only met him once, so I didn’t know him that well. Flair came by and did his usual, “Wooo!” I swear to God, Rene was so [angry], he wanted to punch him out. He said Flair lived like two hours from where Andre was buried in North Carolina. He said, “That piece of garbage. He wouldn’t drive two hours to pay his respects to Andre.” He wanted to kill him. I could go on and on.

I remember a world title match back in 1991 between you and Flair at a Clash of the Champions. What was it like working a match with him? Did you have a different opinion of him back then?

No. I always knew he was a piece of garbage. Flair never drew when I was in the NWA and WCW. Flair had all of his friends booking him on top and we were not drawing. People can say what they want, but I was there and we did not draw nothing. They may have papered the crowd to make it look good for a Clash or a pay-per-view, but we did not draw. I can say for a fact that Flair at that time did not draw a dime. And they say he was the greatest? If you want an honest opinion, you ask somebody who they would rather be on the card with – Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair. If they don’t say Hulk Hogan, they’re out of their minds. At least you knew when you were on a Hulk Hogan card you were going to get paid. Thank God in WCW we had guaranteed contracts. If we had been paid by the houses that we were drawing, we would have starved.

Here’s the deal with that Clash of the Champions. Things had gotten so bad, and they wanted to put the belt on somebody else. They actually wanted to make me the world champion. I had just beaten Ric Flair in a gauntlet match to set up for the Clash of the Champions. So we’re going over the match backstage, and he was like, “Yeah, I got this, I got that,” and then he went out there and sandbagged. It was one of the worst matches I ever had. And I was wondering, “What was that?” The match I had with him in the gauntlet was 10 times better. So I went in the back and I was disappointed. Then I heard a couple weeks later, he was telling people in the office that I got tired, I wasn’t ready for the spot. And to tell you the truth, I really didn’t want to be the world champion. At the time, I still wanted to team with my brother. About a month later, I was wrestling him in Philadelphia, and I gave him nothing. He tried to hit me with a chair, and I grabbed the chair and hit him with it. I just beat the crap out of him. I came back after our match and waited for him right at the door, waiting for him to say something. If he would have said something I would have clocked him one, but he didn’t say nothing. He put his head down and walked back to his dressing room. He’s a punk, man.

Flair was messed up on so many different levels. One time in Baltimore, Sting was going to beat Flair for the belt. So Flair pulled Sting aside, and Sting thinks he’s going to tell him something about the match or give him some big knowledge, and this is what he said to him, and Sting could not believe it. Flair said, “When you get married, it’s a big deal. When you have kids, it’s a big deal. But there’s nothing like winning the world title.” Sting came back and grabbed my brother and I and Lex [Luger], and said, “You’re not going to believe what Flair just told me.” That’s how messed up he was.

Here’s a story that Gary Hart told me. He was managing Muta at the time, and they were going to go in a different direction with Muta. Basically, they were thinking about getting rid of Gary Hart, and he was hurt by it. Back in the day, if you were NWA champion, different territories had to give you their vote to keep you as champion. Gary at one point was in Texas. So Flair at that time came by, whined and dined him and kissed his [butt]. So, later when they were thinking about firing Gary, he said to me, “I went up to him now to see if he could help me out, and that piece of [garbage] said he couldn’t do nothing for me.” Two or three weeks later, he was fired. That’s the way Flair was. He used you, and then he cut your throat.

Another thing that people took issue with was when you said that Triple H and Shawn Michaels were the only guys in WWE who respected Flair. What about guys like Batista, Chris Jericho and Big Show – who was crying during Flair’s Hall of Fame speech and during his farewell on Raw – and others?

Trust me, if it was a different time, Flair would cut their throats in a second, but he’s not in that position anymore. When Flair was in Evolution, he knew he needed those guys to keep his spot, so he helped them out. So I believe Batista has respect for him, because he helped him out. As far as Big Show, I think he’s a crier. He cried when Hulk Hogan retired, too. Can’t take him to a sad movie, either (laughs).

I think some people believe that you don’t respect anybody. Are there any guys in the business that you do have respect for?

The main guy you have to have respect for is Hogan. Hogan was the man. I remember when I was [in WWE], Chief Jay Strongbow used to call him the golden goose. He always said he could lay a golden egg. That was the respect that Hogan had – because he drew. The greatest is the one who draws the money. Would you rather be a 16-time world champion like Flair or would you rather be like Bruno, who had a 10-year run like he had and always sold out Madison Square Garden? That’s respect, man.

You have to respect the guys that have set attendance records and drew a lot of money – like “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. And, of course, The Rock, not only for what he’s done in wrestling, but what he’s doing right now in the movies, which is unprecedented, where a wrestler has been so successful in Hollywood. One of the guys that I most respect is Kurt Angle. When he left WWE, I think a lot of people thought he was the best wrestler there. Not only that, but he was an Olympic champion. I think a lot of people don’t realize how hard it is to be an Olympic champion. Wrestlers in general I respect, because it’s a hard life.

One of your biggest gripes with Flair is that he was cutthroat in his backstage politics. A lot of people say that Hogan was far worse when it came to playing politics.

Oh, God. No. Flair was 10 times worse, and Hogan was a man about it. Hogan, if he didn’t like you, he wouldn’t [BS] you; he just wouldn’t talk to you. He wasn’t like these guys that come up to you and be all “ha-ha” and tell you you’re the greatest and then go behind closed doors and stab you in the back. Hogan had the best contract because he had creative control, and everybody knew that. But he had that respect man, and you got to give it to him. Hogan was the master. He went up there and actually convinced Vince, and he beat Triple H for the belt. I loved it. You know it had to [tick] off Triple H. And it was the worst match ever. It happened right after Hogan had that great match with The Rock at WrestleMania. And then Triple H wrestled him [a month] later and it was horrible. And they say Triple H is such a great worker. Yeah, right.

I posted my false response to VR and not the whole board it is other posters prerogative to take it on themselves to responded to a statement not posted to them.

If you're posting on a public board then your comments are open to everyone. Keep it on topic now and back up what you say

Watts started booking in 1992, Dusty Rhodes was booking in 1991 after Ole Anderson was fired the year before.

I f*cked up, It still doesn't change the fact that Steiner is full of sh*t.
    And it also doesn't change the fact that rovert made himself look like a total tit with his one word answers.

It's a discussion board dude, not a TV game show. :)
    VR!

If you're posting on a public board then your comments are open to everyone. Keep it on topic now and back up what you say

Look where that got me:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055298940

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055299634

Opinion seems to rule over facts here
    Watts started booking in 1992, Dusty Rhodes was booking in 1991 after Ole Anderson was fired the year before.

I f*cked up, It still doesn't change the fact that Steiner is full of sh*t.
    And it also doesn't change the fact that rovert made himself look like a total tit with his one word answers.

VR!

It is less labour intensive, VR. If Im a tit at least Im an informed tit who backs up his opinion with facts.

Also
    -WCW dropped the NWA name in 1990
    -Ric Flair didnt leave after the rules was adopted and Watts took the book
    -It was Bill Watts who actually bought Flair back and if there was anyone in power during that time who treated Flair with respect it was Bill Watts

Look where that got me:
    It is less labour intensive, VR. If Im a tit at least Im an informed tit who backs up his opinion with facts.

Only you proved that to nobody but yourself for hours. Anyone can say "false", but you're the first to ask people to back up their claims, but you're the worst when it comes to doing so! Unless it's f*cking dragged out of you.

VR!

Only you proved that to nobody but yourself for hours. Anyone can say "false", but you're the first to ask people to back up their claims, but you're the worst when it comes to doing so! Unless it's f*cking dragged out of you.

VR!

This is very rich coming from you:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055298940&page=5

Can we get back on topic please?

Only we're not talking about me, and i'm not the one who got told off by the mods for it.
    Can we get back on topic please?

Gladly, bottom line, Steiner is a piece of sh*t.
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Some strong words.

:D Excellent. Some great lines there. I love Scott Steiner. He's one of the few reasons I tune into TNA every now and then. He's just awesome.
    There’s no way I’m jealous, because there’s no way I would want their careers. For one thing, I couldn’t be Triple H because there’s no way I could [have sex] with Chyna.

^ So funny. Granted, theres plenty to pick apart in the thing as a whole. Like when he lambasts Flair for not drawing in 1991, while he himself couldn't draw in 2000/2001 (His Starrcade '00 main event with Sid drew 50,000 buys :eek:). Then again, Russo was (is) a worse booker than Watts (or was it Rhodes?) ever was.

My point is his shoots on WCW TV and this interview were great. I love people like Steiner. And his nick-names....how he can pull off a moniker like the "Big Bad Booty Daddy" is just fantastic. I'd choose to go out for a few beers with Scott over HHH, Falir or HBK any day of the week.

^ So funny. Granted, theres plenty to pick apart in the thing as a whole. Like when he lambasts Flair for not drawing in 1991, while he himself couldn't draw in 2000/2001 (His Starrcade '00 main event with Sid drew 50,000 buys :eek:). Then again, Russo was (is) a worse booker than Watts (or was it Rhodes?) ever was.

Rhodes was booking in 1991, I don't think Russo was booking by the time Starrcade 2000 came around, he and Ferrara were given the boot. I think he finished up right after Halloween Havoc.
    My point is his shoots on WCW TV and this interview were great. I love people like Steiner. And his nick-names....how he can pull off a moniker like the "Big Bad Booty Daddy" is just fantastic. I'd choose to go out for a few beers with Scott over HHH, Falir or HBK any day of the week.

Last year on impact! he claimed to have beaten HHH, i actually don't recall this unless you count the arm wrestling match they had on RAW in 2003. But that comment did make me spit out my beer as i was watching it, was funny stuff. The guy has more waffles than birds eye!

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Last year on impact! he claimed to have beaten HHH, i actually don't recall this unless you count the arm wrestling match they had on RAW in 2003. But that comment did make me spit out my beer as i was watching it, was funny stuff. The guy has more waffles than birds eye!

I think I remember the quote you mention and I'm pretty sure he threw Cena's name in there too and I can't ever remember those two wrestling, never mind Steiner beating him.

Edit: I found the quote...
    "See Kurt Angle, what makes you think you’re so special. You haven't done anything that I have already done. Who have you beaten that I already beaten. John Cena, I beat him; Batista, I beat him; and I don't care how many times Triple H had to sleep with the boss' daughter, I beat him."

What is he on about? Perhaps he beat Batista but I can't remember that either! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

obsessed with wrestling have details of steiner beating both HHH and batista
    http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profiles/s/scott-steiner.php

rossie1977 wrote: »
    obsessed with wrestling have details of steiner beating both HHH and batista
    http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profiles/s/scott-steiner.php

Aaaah right, DQ victories. Such great accomplishments there, Scott! ;)
    VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Yeah and beating Cena at some Raw house show way back when :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I’ve always like Steiner’s on screen character, or at least the idea of it – the chain mail, the siren music, the “freaks”, all a very good platform for a guy to really succeed, but as a person he really comes across as an idiot sometimes. I mean, badmouthing Flair is one thing, he’s not the only guy to say Flair treated them like cr*p at one time or another (I don’t know or really even care if this is actually true, the fact is Flair was a real star and deserved the send off he got for it), but I’ve always hated wrestlers repeating stories they heard second hand about people, if they weren’t there themselves, they don’t really know if it’s true. Plus to then defend Hogan, who has been accused of the very same things (Again, I don’t know if it’s all true or not, but I’ve always believed that as least some of the mud thrown at all wrestlers had a good reason for sticking), is strange, especially, as VR said, when Hogan, more so than Flair or anybody else, would have had more to do with Steiner not getting his shot at singles success quicker than he did in WCW
    As for his comments on HBK, while I’ve always felt after the whole Montreal thing (Sorry to bring it up again!) that Michaels was a bit of a snake in the grass – not for his actual involment (All parties could have handled the whole thing better) but for his initial denial to Bret in the locker-room afterwards, I mean just be a man and tell the guy to his face why don’t ya .And that about Shawn I know is true, as it’s on the Wrestling with Shadows documentary (Which I know is one sided but doesn’t hide the fact that HBK was really two faced) Plus, it was actually scary how alike Michaels and Flair became in the last few years in WWE - from flamboyant, outspoken main players in their respective companies to humble sidekicks of HHH.
    And as for Helmsey, well I think it’s fairly obvious that his personal situation has helped in the last 9 years or so (Fair enough, he won his 1st world title before he hooked up with Steph, but his real dominance in WWE didn’t start until 2000 when they were an item I think), but it must be said that regardless of how he got his hands on the ball, he has ran with it very well at times. Plus, he had achieved more than losing to Henry Godwin before he hooked up with Steph, like joining and then leading DX (I won’t mention KOTR, everyone knows I don’t rate that much!).But Steiner seems to forget how well he was treated when he initially moved over to WWE, he pretty much walked into a main event, world title shot situation, give or take a month, and I only remember one guy stinking up the ring in those matches and that was’nt HHH. So I think he’s lying when he says he not bitter or jealous there, himself and VKM or whatever they call themselves should start a club for guys who think they were hard done by but really dropped the ball themselves. At least with the likes of Angle and Booker, they can say they that they’ve been there and done that and have a right to have opinion on things, people like Steiner and Billy Gunn (Another character I really liked and wanted to succeed) could’nt get the job done properly when they did get his chance so should really keep their mouth shut about others I think. Plus the fact that he resorts to slagging off Chyna of all people, instead of really backing up his statements, doesn’t help his cause.

If we're pointing out where Steiner's wrong, then HHH actually won that pig sty match!

If we're pointing out where Steiner's wrong, then HHH actually won that pig sty match!

Now there's bragging rights!
    I wonder who Trips had to sleep with for that on his c.v - HillBilly Jim?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Aaaah right, DQ victories. Such great accomplishments there, Scott! ;)
    VR!

in fairness he never said clean wins he said wins

D-FENS wrote: »
    I’ve always like Steiner’s on screen character, or at least the idea of it – the chain mail, the siren music, the “freaks”, all a very good platform for a guy to really succeed, but as a person he really comes across as an idiot sometimes. I mean, badmouthing Flair is one thing, he’s not the only guy to say Flair treated them like cr*p at one time or another (I don’t know or really even care if this is actually true, the fact is Flair was a real star and deserved the send off he got for it), but I’ve always hated wrestlers repeating stories they heard second hand about people, if they weren’t there themselves, they don’t really know if it’s true. Plus to then defend Hogan, who has been accused of the very same things (Again, I don’t know if it’s all true or not, but I’ve always believed that as least some of the mud thrown at all wrestlers had a good reason for sticking), is strange, especially, as VR said, when Hogan, more so than Flair or anybody else, would have had more to do with Steiner not getting his shot at singles success quicker than he did in WCW
    As for his comments on HBK, while I’ve always felt after the whole Montreal thing (Sorry to bring it up again!) that Michaels was a bit of a snake in the grass – not for his actual involment (All parties could have handled the whole thing better) but for his initial denial to Bret in the locker-room afterwards, I mean just be a man and tell the guy to his face why don’t ya .And that about Shawn I know is true, as it’s on the Wrestling with Shadows documentary (Which I know is one sided but doesn’t hide the fact that HBK was really two faced) Plus, it was actually scary how alike Michaels and Flair became in the last few years in WWE - from flamboyant, outspoken main players in their respective companies to humble sidekicks of HHH.
    And as for Helmsey, well I think it’s fairly obvious that his personal situation has helped in the last 9 years or so (Fair enough, he won his 1st world title before he hooked up with Steph, but his real dominance in WWE didn’t start until 2000 when they were an item I think), but it must be said that regardless of how he got his hands on the ball, he has ran with it very well at times. Plus, he had achieved more than losing to Henry Godwin before he hooked up with Steph, like joining and then leading DX (I won’t mention KOTR, everyone knows I don’t rate that much!).But Steiner seems to forget how well he was treated when he initially moved over to WWE, he pretty much walked into a main event, world title shot situation, give or take a month, and I only remember one guy stinking up the ring in those matches and that was’nt HHH. So I think he’s lying when he says he not bitter or jealous there, himself and VKM or whatever they call themselves should start a club for guys who think they were hard done by but really dropped the ball themselves. At least with the likes of Angle and Booker, they can say they that they’ve been there and done that and have a right to have opinion on things, people like Steiner and Billy Gunn (Another character I really liked and wanted to succeed) could’nt get the job done properly when they did get his chance so should really keep their mouth shut about others I think. Plus the fact that he resorts to slagging off Chyna of all people, instead of really backing up his statements, doesn’t help his cause.

I'm not really sure he had a cause to speak of, he was just bad-mouthing people in hilarious fashion and I loved it. I can't wait till he's 82 and suffering from dementia and he's booked at a fan convention, only to grab a live mike and start bad-mouthing anyone and everyone in incoherent fashion.

You're right about about his character with the chain-mail etc., thats his main selling point. But up until eight years ago when he was WCW champion he was having good matches with everyone, even broomsticks like Sid. Even today, when given the right opponent, he still rocks out.
    Aaaah right, DQ victories. Such great accomplishments there, Scott!
    VR!

Though you're right to deride him over it in one sense, you're kinda missing the point; he was trying to get himself over and listed a bunch of people he's beaten, and though these victories were non-events, they are at least factually correct. Thats probably one of the few times Scott has been factually correct, but thats a different argument!

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    in fairness he never said clean wins he said wins

Well, he did say that there's nothing that Angle's done that he hasn't, and I'm fairly sure that Kurt has clean wins over them all

I'm not really sure he had a cause to speak of, he was just bad-mouthing people in hilarious fashion and I loved it. I can't wait till he's 82 and suffering from dementia and he's booked at a fan convention, only to grab a live mike and start bad-mouthing anyone and everyone in incoherent fashion.

You're right about about his character with the chain-mail etc., thats his main selling point. But up until eight years ago when he was WCW champion he was having good matches with everyone, even broomsticks like Sid. Even today, when given the right opponent, he still rocks out.

Though you're right to deride him over it in one sense, you're kinda missing the point; he was trying to get himself over and listed a bunch of people he's beaten, and though these victories were non-events, they are at least factually correct. Thats probably one of the few times Scott has been factually correct, but thats a different argument!

For the record, I found it hilarious as well, but I’m laughing at him rather than with him (I would laugh at the prospect of him getting HHH and HBK's back up a bit though ) And your probably right, he doesn’t have a cause per say, he’s not the Martin Luther King of wrestling or anything, speaking up for the rights of washed up wrestlers! But whether he cares or not (Probably not) and is just mouthing off, he still comes across as a fool with some of the things he’s says, and I’m sure he doesn’t want to be remembered as a fool.
    I would also agree that he had his moments as a skilled wrestler in WCW and his first run WWF in the early 90’s, but by the time he got to WWF in ’02, he was way past his best and was down right sloppy in some of his matches, most notably with the title on the line against HHH. You could argue that his health had let him down at that point or that WWF never intended on any real success for him other than using him on the strength of his WCW reputation, but the fact is he could’nt cut it by then .And his work these days in TNA is passable but doesn’t merit a main event spot.

D-FENS wrote: »
    For the record, I found it hilarious as well, but I’m laughing at him rather than with him (I would laugh at the prospect of him getting HHH and HBK's back up a bit though ) And your probably right, he doesn’t have a cause per say, he’s not the Martin Luther King of wrestling or anything, speaking up for the rights of washed up wrestlers! But whether he cares or not (Probably not) and is just mouthing off, he still comes across as a fool with some of the things he’s says, and I’m sure he doesn’t want to be remembered as a fool.
    I would also agree that he had his moments as a skilled wrestler in WCW and his first run WWF in the early 90’s, but by the time he got to WWF in ’02, he was way past his best and was down right sloppy in some of his matches, most notably with the title on the line against HHH. You could argue that his health had let him down at that point or that WWF never intended on any real success for him other than using him on the strength of his WCW reputation, but the fact is he could’nt cut it by then .And his work these days in TNA is passable but doesn’t merit a main event spot.

His main event match versus Kaz and Samoa Joe at Sacrifice was exceptional. He played the monster heel to perfection.

His main event match versus Kaz and Samoa Joe at Sacrifice was exceptional. He played the monster heel to perfection.

Excuse me if I disagree. You do know what exceptional means right? Awesome Kong is a far better at being a monster heel as well.

That match was ok. Nothing more in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Jimmy McMurtry

I didnt read through all of this but from the 1rst page or so nobody seemd to dispute that VR said sumtin like Steiner only fell off aprons etc throughout his career.
    In fairness he worked in evey major promotion in the states & wrkd in Japan, won numerous tag titles with Rick, a gud few singles titles & the world heavyweight belt in WCW (durin which he had a suprisingly gud match wi Sid Vicious at Starrcade)
    Sorry if somebody has already argued this

Excuse me if I disagree. You do know what exceptional means right? Awesome Kong is a far better at being a monster heel as well.

Why do you still post here?

Well, he did say that there's nothing that Angle's done that he hasn't, and I'm fairly sure that Kurt has clean wins over them all

And don't forget that gold medal.

Why do you still post here?

For people not to directly answer my points, statements and questions I guess.

Steiner is 6 ft 1 in and 285 lb, Joe is "6 ft. 2 ins" and "290 lbs" and Kaz is 6 ft 1 in and 225 lbs. I don’t think many people do or could refer to Steiner as a monster heel, it is certainly not his gimmick.

The 3 way won’t be referred to as being in contention for match of year or was it far in away heads above as match of the night. Some people would say the Terrordome match was better. It was far from exceptional especially if you take the previous month's main event into account.

It was a decent match considering the problems with Angle and only deciding for him not to wrestle on the night. Steiner is the only one of the three that fits the monster heel image, Kaz is too light and Joe is too fat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement