Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay for parking in Douglas?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Wtf!

I may be coming to this late again, especially since it's been two weeks since I've actually been in Douglas, but the cinema world car park is now 1.50 an hour. The ****ed up thing is, people were actually paying it. For me, the whole ****ing point of going to Douglas is to avoid paying for parking in town. I was on the bike so I just parked up on the footpath anyway, but if I had the car I wouldn't have stayed. I mean, who pays for parking in Douglas? I'd have put it in another car park, found a spot on the street, or (most likely) pissed off to Mahon instead.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Could just park in Douglas Court SC for free :o

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I can't blame the cinema for charging - the car park is there for cinema patrons - and there are times when you're at the far end of the car park, on a rainy day - because the spots closest to cinema are being used by non patrons/shoppers. And if you're trying to get a load of kids in the door - it really isn't fair. Cinema goes get their cards stamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Wasn't this tried before? There used to be barriers up and as Judes said patrons of the cinema got their card validated once in the cinema getting a ticket...anyway I remember the barriers caused huge delays for people trying to get out of the car park. The things were slow to scan the cards and overall they were crap so they were removed.

Anyway, I agree with Judes on this one, the cinema provide a car park for their patrons to use and anyone else using it should have to pay something...come on like, if it was your land that you paid for would you let freeloaders in to use it for their own greedy benefit? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I can see why they'd do it, but what gets me is that people will just queue up and pay for it like sheep.* Like Tazzle said, you could park in one of the shopping centres for free. I had actually started going to Cinema World to see movies even though Mahon is closer for me (because they put the choclate in the fridge - nyom), but I probably won't anymore because I don't want the hassle.

*That sentence could be funny taken out of context.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Who goes and parks in Douglas to avoid town? traffic is worse there then in the city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Does anyone know when they charge for parking? I've parked there most evenings this week and there was no charge. Last night the whole car park was full bar two or three places and still no-one charging. Although last Saturday I did see a guy at that green hut alright

Advertisement