Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fear of Driving

Options
  • 28-05-2008 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm unbelivably afraid of driving. I tell myself I'm fine, then into first gear I go and the sweating begins. I've had 11 lessons, I even changed instructor to be sure it was just me....I have a car rotting outside my house and I've been trying to get out there for over a year. I can do anything in an industrial estate, but come the main road and I can't find 3rd gear...or steer...or not just wait for someone to plough into me. It's really upseting me, I'm 26 and frankly getting embrassed now. All and any advice needed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Teacherman

I was the same at the start. Just remember if you panic in traffic-simply stop car and put on hazards-think what you have to do and move off. Try not to point blank stop where traffic cant get around you. Also remember so long as you drive slowly and can see the wheels of the car in front then you will have plenty of time to stop. Have L plates on and if they beep you ignore tthem-they are not meant to. So long as you dont crash into them well they can lump your slow car. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

The best thing, imo, is to remember people will be patient with you once you have L plates up. Most people will realise that we all had to learn once, and will give you a bit of extra room and time. Don't rush yourself because you're afraid of holding people up, they can wait! Also, don't practice at rush hour, people will be stressed.

If you're up to it, and have a fully licensed driver willing to go along with you, try very early sat or sun morning (5am kinda time) it'll be like an industrial estate in that it'll be quiet, but you can get used to road markings at certain junctions etc. As you gain confidence you can drive the routes you practiced at busier times. Step by step!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I was in exactly the same boat last August. I bought my first car but I was too frightened to get into it for 3 months. I posted here about it. I couldnt cope with gear changes or traffic. I gained confidence by finding the right instructor who really eased me into it and gave both praise and criticism where it was due.

Try practise with someone you are comfortable with and go out in the evenings when there is less traffic. The first time my boyfriend took me out in the car last October I panicked at a small roundabout and cut out the car on it. I held up traffic, I had people beeping at me. It was awful!

In the end I persevered. I had a great instructor. Even when my car died on a roundabout at rush hour and I had to get towed, it made me more determined to not let other people frighten me. I've been driving for 6 months now and I passed my test 2 weeks ago :) So it can be done. If someone told me last year that I'd have a full licence by May I wouldnt have believed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Yeah I was driving 6 months and passed first time but would never have believed it when I started driving in November- I used to have a horrible empty feeling in my stomach- pure fear-also I knew absolutely NOTHING about cars and I wasn't a "natural" at all- took me ages to master everything- but remember- driving is no more than muscle memory. It is like walking, when you were a toddler you had an awful time trying to co-ordinate your left foot with your right while keeping your balance- but now you do it without even thinking- same with driving. Mirrors, indicators, brake, clutch, accelerator- they all become second nature!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hey i for one honestly appreciate the advice given above here so far ... What you're saying my instructor has told me but it's so true, seriously. It's good to know i'm not the only one thinking the way the OP is.

I've my test in 2weeks and i'm up in the mornings at 6am practicing driving with my partner before we both go to work :) and when i drive home in the evenings then in the rush-hour it reall isn't that bad, thankfully.

All it takes is time and practice and you will gain more confidence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

I was very nervous about driving and still am at times. Went out with my Mam and Dad a few times in my Mam's Micra and both made me feel even more stressed out, so I asked one of my friend's who has a full license now too, would she mind going with me. She had no problem with it and comes over and parks at my house and we head off in the micra. Some days we just drive around the nearby estates, others we drive to my boyfriends house, which is a little further and hence the roads are a little busier and more traffic lights etc. It's only in the past week that I've really gotten out there a few times in a week. Start off in an industrial estate where you can get used to the gears and that, then move out say to just around a few nearby housing estates, then a little bit further. I'm living in Blanchardstown and am still afraid to drive out on the Navan Road, but would love to head down towards Navan to my uncles, so mabye one day !!! The only way to conquer that fear though, is to get out a few days in a row even just for half an hour. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Starryeyd

Thanks so much to all above, I used to be terrified of flying too (missed out on a trip to the USA when I was a kid over it!) and I suppose now I'm taking three flights for my next holiday, it must be the perseverence that brings the freedom, I hate being a scardycat but hopfull it will make me a more considerate driver in the long run. I'm hitting the industrial estate hard ths weekend, and maybe even a roundabout, beware all of a shriking chick in a corsa! :):):):)

P.S. glad I'm not alone too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Good luck ... relax and enjoy it as everyone keeps telling me !!! :D

yeah, damn those "oh it's SOOOO easy when you get use to it!" people:D
    Hurray for us who realise hurtling at speed in a tin box down the road derserves a bit of caution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

i had a car crash when i was 18....never got behind the wheel again until a few weeks ago and took a ten lesson course.

im 31 now and the garage is delivering my car to me this evening. the thought of having to drive it on my own is nerve wrecking but the way im going to go about it is have some1 with a full licence sit with me for a while.

the instructor said that because i was on a second learner permit(i got my first provisional and just kept putting off driving) i should go ouot on my own and practice amd apply for my test straight away...

the thoughts of doing anything on my own has me nervous but fears have to be conquered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Ive been driving about 4 months now, at first i was really nervous but had a good instructor. Basically when i got in a panic i just stopped the car and put hazard lights on ( as someone above said). The started again and maybe pull over to side of road and wait til i relax a bit. As i pushed myself to go and drive for an hour or two each day, I just got used to it.The only way your going to get over your fear is if you push yourself and keep at it. Go out early when there is less traffic. Sit in the car with the engine off get used to moving up and down gears. I have test in july hopefully i pass but i think ive made progress.

I'm really trying to get back out there after reading all the honest posts above (esp. washouts, without sounding cheesey,thats really inspiring), I was going to sell my car but i've decided to keep it.I've been thinking about it lots the last few days, and I think maybe alot of my panic stems from a fright i got last year, it wasn't a bad accident, but i can still see that moment when I knew we were going to hit the car in front. No one was hurt but I think maybe it's the lack of control element that freaks me out. I'm in cotrol of my car, but not anyone elses, and a part of me is worried a car will just swerve infront of me and that'll be it. But as I've been told so many times, noone wants to crash into you, not even stupid boy/girl racers in there suped up tin cans really want to do that. So it's onwards and step by step :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's nice to see you're sticking at it, and you seem determined to get it right. As you said, dont worry about other drivers, there are far too many things to worry about as it is. Stay positive, dont let other road users "bully" you and just go for it! Best of Luck with your driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Nightwish wrote: »
    In the end I persevered. I had a great instructor. Even when my car died on a roundabout at rush hour and I had to get towed, it made me more determined to not let other people frighten me. I've been driving for 6 months now and I passed my test 2 weeks ago :) So it can be done. If someone told me last year that I'd have a full licence by May I wouldnt have believed it.
    Well done:)
    Now recommend that instructor all round.

I've said this many times, the key to pasing the test for most people is to find a good instructor and not just any instructor.

Advertisement