Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

test for c licence tomorrow

Options
  • 28-05-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭

have my test tomorrow at 3:45 (fingers crossed) any good advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

guil07 wrote: »
    have my test tomorrow at 3:45 (fingers crossed) any good advice

It's been many years since I did the category C test but a few thing which spring to mind:

You need to adopt a different mindset to driving a car and the examiner will expect you to do so.

Make sure you know the theory questions which specifically apply to trucks, eg speed limits, axle weights, 3 tonne restriction exemptions etc.

Try to make the journey as comfortable as possible for the examiner - smooth braking and acceleration - pretend you have a fragile load on board.

If you see a pothole ahead, don't be afraid to avoid it if it is safe to do so.

Don't be afraid to be "assertive" without being pushy. If you see an obstacle ahead such as a parked car, move out in good time and take up your position in the centre of the road. This will encourage approaching traffic to give way. It's much easier for the car driver to slow down and get moving again compared to the truck.

Avoid low overhanging tree branches like the plague. Don't be tempted to take a chance if there is approaching traffic. Wait until it is safe to move out. If a branch strikes the nearside mirror and closes it it used to be a failure. Not sure if that is still the case.

Be very vigilant for cyclists especially those muppets who insist on travelling up the nearside when you intend turning left and have indicated your intention to do so. :(

If the examiner says "take the next available left/right", be on high alert. The next actual turn may have a 3 tonne restriction.

If you are travelling behind a bus, assume it may stop so allow enough distance to see beyond it. They will expect you to pass it if it is safe to do so.

If it's wet, avoid splashing pedestrians with surface water.

Switch off mobile phone - silent isn't good enough. The last thing you need is a continuous vibration breaking your concentration.

Assume every car driver you meet is a complete novice.

Good luck - let us know how you get on. :)

PS - what make of truck and what type of gearbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

nearly certain its a daf and its a six speed
    will i be asked the same kinda question like the theory test in the sense that most of them were general questions on driving or will they mostly ask ones specific to a truck

nearly certain its a daf and its a six speed
    Presumably a straight 6 position gate then. As I'm sure you know, there's no need to use 1st unless on a very steep hill. 2nd is fine for moving off.

guil07 wrote:
    will i be asked the same kinda question like the theory test in the sense that most of them were general questions on driving or will they mostly ask ones specific to a truck
    A mix of both.

The roadsigns will be mostly the same but they might throw in the 3 tonne restriction and ask when it is exempt. Answer - when there is no alternative route or when making a delivery.

He may also ask when you can use the overtaking lane on a motorway. Answer - never unless instructed to do so by a Garda.

He may ask what height is the truck. If you say 4.25 metres for example, he may then ask what is the lowest bridge you should enter under. Rule of thumb - add 15cms (6 inches) therefore 4.40 metres.

Maximum rear overhang - 1 metre (or 3 metres with a red flag).

yeah i've never used 1st yet, i just had a look at the rules of the road and theres no section on trucks with axle weights or that, the only referance to a truck in it is about the overhang and the distance between the cab and the trailer

yeah i've never used 1st yet, i just had a look at the rules of the road and theres no section on trucks with axle weights or that
    There's a lot of info in the Theory test book.

guil07 wrote:
    and the distance between the cab and the trailer
    That would apply to category E+C only.

• Advertisement

is the test not solely on the rules of the road

is the test not solely on the rules of the road
    What do you mean? :confused:

if theres no reference to axle weights in the rules of the road should there be any questions bout it in the test

if theres no reference to axle weights in the rules of the road should there be any questions bout it in the test
    I see what you mean now.

The Rules of the Road is really only a basic 'lay man's' interpretation of driving from a safety and courtesy point of view. It doesn't really cover many of the technical aspects of driving.

is there anythin else that ya have to know for the test other tha whats in the book i know how to check all the fluids and lift the cab etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement