Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New E169G Three datamodem replacing the E220

Options
  • 28-05-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Suggested to one of my clients in Allenwood, County Kildare that she try out the 3g device from 3, expecting her to come back with a Huawei E220.

Apparently the thing has been replaced by the Huawei E169G
    - works on Vista.
    - VERY fast speeds.
    - Has four bars sitting on the table beside the PC
    - Software does not require the mandatory reinstall, as with the E220

That's just one experience though. Anybody else got one yet?
    Thinking of upgrading my own one, if they will let me.

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The speed depends on your location, not the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thinking of upgrading my own one, if they will let me.

J

Changing the modem will do nothing, except if you suspect that your modem is broken. You could try a firmware upgrade, if you think that might be the problem. Firmware from Huawei for the E220 here.

I've never heard of an upgrade ability on the modems, probably because it'll be a waste of money, so it would probably require a new account and contract to get the newer modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

watty wrote: »
    The speed depends on your location, not the modem.

A knob from 3 called to our house last night, we have the old version of the Huawei modem, he claimed that if we bought the new version that our broadband speeds would dramatically increase, because the new version has a much better antenna. This is a load of crap, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'd guess the that "dramatically" is a load of crap. The antenna design might be better, or better located in a new model, but that's not going to be from 1 bar to 5 bars, and isn't going to make a "dramatic" difference. If he calls again, ask him to call back with one / for a free trial.

Older modems didn't do HSDPA but, as far as I know, three haven't sold older ones. Vodafone did (falsely advertising that they would be updatable), but that was some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

cgarvey wrote: »
    I If he calls again, ask him to call back with one / for a free trial.

Good point, I should have thought of that last night myself.

Tommy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

My several cents.

Your speed will depend much much more on the number of other users connected at the same time. AFAIK signal strength is a red herring unless you are getting poor signal strength all the time and can't connect, I can get 4 bars and have lousy speed while having one bar and good speed at other times.

Now I do strongly suspect that the Hawuei E220 doesn't like Vista too much (I feel it works way better with my laptop which runs XP) so maybe the new device plays better with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 csj

I have both an E220 (on PAYG) and a E169G on contracty which I took when Quidco had a brief special offer of £7.50.m0nth for 5GB.

The speed of both is very dependent on time of day - much faster in the morning and very slow at night. The E169G SEEMS to be slower than the E220 when switching between them at the same time of day and only shows 3 bards whereas the E220 regulkarly shows 5 bars (but the software is different for the 2 modems so the number of bars may be irrelevant).

I prefer the E220 software because it shows you the actaul and maximum speed of downlaod/upload whereas the E169G does not. I have been able to use both modems using the E220 software.

Advertisement