Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How low will you go?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I had a date last week with a guy I met in town a couple of weeks ago. We hit it off when I met him, we were both sitting down, and he asked for my number. We had been in regular contact and then last weekend he asked me out for dinner to a really nice restaurant. I rolled up at designated time and place only to find he was in actual fact a hobbit and was about an inch smaller than me (I was wearing heels). Regardless of how well we got on, and I know this is extremely shallow, I kept thinking it was like a surreal episode of the Borrowers. Such a shame as a nice guy and everything but smurfs just don't do it for me. I'm 5'5" and normally wear pretty high heels but now am very definite in that I don't find small men attractive. Would you date a guy who was your height or smaller? Do pocket rockets do it for you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Don't think I could. Poor guy, he must get that reaction a lot.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

its times like this i love being 6'2

• Hehe your description made me laugh. I wouldn't go for a short guy either, tbh. My current boyfriend is 6'2 and the one before was 6'1. Everyone finds different things attractive - one of my friends is 5'11, her bf is 5'6 and she doesn't care at all, but height would be up there as one of the most important things for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm fairly self-conscious about my height, so I don't like going out with shorter guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

To those that wouldn't consider a small guy after finding him attractive when there was no height to mention: would you consider a tall guy attractive after not finding him attractive without knowing his height?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

NooooOOOoo! I'd feel like the man in the relationship. I like to feel the guy I'm with can protect me, not the other way round!

Might have to trade the current one in as I'm taller than him in heels... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

aw, yay- i always felt kinda shallow saying that, but im not alone! i could maybe go for a guy an inch smaller than me, but he'd have to make up for that inch by being extra-awesome that you couldnt not date him.
    did date someone i was taller than in heels, but i live in runners, so it never really came up. im 5'7, which isnt really That tall (tall enuf, methinks) but i still feel gigantic in heels+ shorter guys only make me feel more giant :(

x

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Women are pigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

po0k wrote: »
    Women are pigs

Feeling insecure there?
    OP, I would feel the same I think. I like height in a man, it's attractive and it helps that protective/hero notion!
    You have the right to seek what you like in a partner, it's not shallow at all. It's clearly something that bothers you and that's absolutely fine. Our physical attraction to the opposite sex is the whole package, not just the hair, chest, shoulders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

height doesnt bother me. if you were wearing high heels (4") and are 5'5' that means you were 5'9 and he appeared to be 5'8. that isn't really that short. not exactly hobbit status.

• Advertisement

Im 6"3, was seein a girl who was scrapin 5 foot for a while. Needless to say, it didnt work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

it kinda bothers me a little. i'm not tall (about 5'5" or so) but i like to feel protected by a guy. my last two boyfriends were both about 5'7 or 5'8 and i hated not being able to wear heels! well i hated being taller than them when i actually wore heels... it just feels weird to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Ah shight, now you've got me worried! Is 5'9'' short?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Shallow as it may sound, I would have to agree, I'm 5'3'' and I don't think I could be with someone the same height as me or smaller, I very much like the guy in the protective roll and I like them to be taller than me (which isn't that hard).

I don't think it's particularly shallow, I'm sure if you asked some guys if they'd date women a lot taller than them some would express a preference. It's similar to body build size or hair colour etc. Everyone has a preference.

I definately don't discriminate on that basis.

I've never actually dated a man who was taller me, but then I'm average height for an Irish man. So that doesn't really indicate a preference.

Hot is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I had a date last week with a guy I met in town a couple of weeks ago. We hit it off when I met him, we were both sitting down, and he asked for my number. We had been in regular contact and then last weekend he asked me out for dinner to a really nice restaurant. I rolled up at designated time and place only to find he was in actual fact a hobbit and was about an inch smaller than me (I was wearing heels). Regardless of how well we got on, and I know this is extremely shallow, I kept thinking it was like a surreal episode of the Borrowers. Such a shame as a nice guy and everything but smurfs just don't do it for me. I'm 5'5" and normally wear pretty high heels but now am very definite in that I don't find small men attractive. Would you date a guy who was your height or smaller? Do pocket rockets do it for you?
    He stayed sitting down all the time during your first date. It must have been a very short date did he go to the toilet a t any stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm 5ft 2" so for a man to be shorter than me he's probably have to be an official midget! It's not something I'd ever thought about. My bf isn't really very tall but as nearly all men are taller than me it doesn't really bother me. My ex was 6ft 2" and the foot height difference did look a little silly!

It works both ways too. Lots of guys are intimidated by tall women. Just ask Tom Dunne, he lists tall women as one of his phobias!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Im 6"3, was seein a girl who was scrapin 5 foot for a while. Needless to say, it didnt work out.

Really? Hmm, i've been seeing my OH for nearly 5 years now and those are our height measurements....make for interesting angles in the bedroom ;)

Obviously being 4"11 (yup, I'm ickle) I don't have to really worry about that issue...unless I met a dwarf...hmm...

Anyway, I do have friends who are quite tall (we look quite comical when we go out, anyway, I digress), and one did go out with a shorter guy for a while. I noticed that she got really self conscious and started to stoop a lot, it really affected her posture, and another thing, this woman loved shoes and for the duration of their relationship stopped wearing heels-madness!

So i don't think you're being shallow, personally I couldn't date a guy with a hairy back.. *shudder*:eek:
    Even if he waxed it...I'd still know....bah! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

I'm not too far shy of 6' (I also like to think I can "protect" myself:p)so it's difficult to always find someone who's both taller than you and who clicks with you...
    I have dated someone who was shorter than me and while I wouldn't say no to someone ever purely based on their height, I won't say I wasn't aware of it when we went out together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

being taller rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Unfortunately height is a big issue for me. I am almost 6ft tall and like any girl love to wear heels on occasion. I am self-conscious about my height at times and feel that going out with a guy even a couple of inches shorter than me is quite uncomfortable. I like the feeling of being shorter than my partner. Something comforting about it... Call me shallow or whatever but I am not that fussy really. Bearing in mind I am still single, ideals and reality don't mix that well! I am told that by wearing heels I am eliminating a lot of potential men, heck I don't care, I feel better in heels. Lots of shorter men 5'7 and smaller approach me rather than taller ones:o Have been out with shorter guys but as I said it's uncomfortable. Think I'll keep looking for a giant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If he's a hobbit, so are you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I almost did not date my husband as he was (only) 5ft 9in, not that that is small but I only dated guys of 6ft and over (my first bf was 6ft 4in). I am only 5ft 1-2in (well, I say 5ft 2in). I also like the idea of being protected by a man. I could never date a guy who is smaller than me - I do feel guilty about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I'm only 5ft 2, so a guy would have to be pretty small to be shorter than me. I'm not sure if it would bother me that much if i really liked him.

I did go on a date once with someone shorter than me, think he was under 5ft. It was quite sad to see him hoosh himself up on the stool and then look at his legs dangle as they didnt quite reach the leg rest.

However, it was his general clinginess (sp) and stalkery (sp) behaviour that didnt get him the 2nd date and not his height. In saying that he was nice and i felt sorry for him as I am sure his height was a problem in regards to women not dating him over it, hence the clinginess :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I can see by the way the guy went about the height issue that he probably has been slated for the same reason many times before.

I might have been taken aback slightly, but that is because it is a natural assumption that the person is going to be around our own height or a bit taller. If on the first meeting however, he freely walked around and I had noticed our height difference - I wouldnt have come along in a pair of heels to the 1st proper date.

To understand my angle, you would have to remove the height issue altogether here. If a guy has similar interests to me, but most importantly - can make me laugh (and understand my at times odd sense of humour) then of course I'd consider seeing him again. If a guy had a quirky nose or <insert your quirk of choice here> I'd still consider seeing him again - on the basis that we get on really well.

I get what the women here are saying about preferring a taller guy, but Im just saying it probably shouldnt be the deciding factor. What makes me laugh is OP probably felt 'tricked' when she realised how tall he was. He probably feels like that every day.

A lot of posters are giving the guy the pity vote. I think hes probably sick to the back teeth of it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Does the not wearing heels thing stem from a fear of looking odd yourself being taller than the bloke or from a fear of how the bloke would feel being smaller?
    I'm only 5'6", but I'm ok with it, can run faster than most taller lads and beyond that I see little benefit to increased height.:confused:

As for those who do not see judging by height as shallow, perhaps reading this thread might change your view since it's effectively the same thing from the male camp.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

farohar wrote: »
    Does the not wearing heels thing stem from a fear of looking odd yourself being taller than the bloke or from a fear of how the bloke would feel being smaller?

No not at all. Id prefer flats to heels any day, so it would make me more comfortable to start with. Wouldnt it be slightly easier to lean in for a kiss? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

have to admit.. i dont like it when my guy is shorter than me... but it's happened before, and we had a good relationship while it lasted. i prefer guys to be taller, but i could deal with shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

tisk, tisk, tisk ladies - you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

...and if you don't know why: replace the "man" for a "woman" and "short" for "fat", and see how you feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

I find I'm attracted to men who are substantially taller than me. But then I'm only 5'2 so thats most men.
    I don't know if it would be a problem tho in case where I'd already decided I liked someone, if the attraction was there i don't think it would make me suddenly NOT fancy someone... Tho I've never had to test this theory.:pac:

Advertisement