Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How low will you go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

syklops wrote: »
    What?

come on syklop you're a bright light bulb.

look down?

as in all the men are shorter then these women complaining about no good men?

*gives up and goes to settle with the amish*

• Registered Users Posts: 82,512 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In fairness, MiniMe was built like a tripod according to Mr. Powers Senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Taller than me would be a bit extreme to date but someone close to my height wouldnt be that bad,id actaully prefer it.Theres less slouching down etc.Im 6.3 btw.
    BrianD3 wrote: »
    Of course men lie about their height a lot, maybe their girlfriends lap up their bullsh1t. And there seem to be an awful lot of 6 foot 4 and 6 foot 5 guys on the internet, maybe those are internet feet and inches?

As regards tall men being better protectors this is often not true - a stocky short muscular guy will almost certainly be better at defending himself and his woman than a tall lanky beanpole. Women going for tall guys because they feel "protected" is just cavewoman instinct really.

In your first paragraph,i have to agree as most people even on the basketball team wouldnt be that tall.The average would be around 5.9 id say(estimate) and generally id say irelands average height is smaller than the eu and us average(general opinion).

I dont agree with your second paragraph though.You can get the skiny langy fellas but in general tall people are relatively bulky and have a bit more muscle than shorter people.Secondly when they say protected i think they mean more room for the man to rap their hands around them and i suppose maybe a small hint of the "cavewomen instinct".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Wibbs wrote: »
    No true enough to be fair. It is just another condition though, even if it's somewhat personality based. Maybe a better example would be a guy who refused to date women taller than him kinda thing?

Much better, Wibbs.

Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

It appears unconditional love of a woman for a man can only happen under the condition that the man is taller.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" my ass!!

The first line is a contradiction in terms.

For every woman who said she wouldn't date a short man, theres been another who shot her down. That must give you some faith?

I always thought I was six foot, turns out I'm six one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DARKIZE

Just an insight from the flip-side.........I find shorter, petite woman quite attractive. In fact when I think back, most of my ex's have been maybe 5'4 or under, and I'm 6'. Something about the urge to protect I guess. Or maybe something much more worrying.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

There are plenty of adult women who are almost hilariously short/"cute". The small men should seek them out. Though curiously I see some of these short women going out with men who are almost twice their height - a funny sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

syklops wrote: »
    No wonder personal issues is full of threads entitled "Where are all the nice men?".

under their line of sight, you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm 5'11 or 6'0 (don't measure myself very often:p) and I love chicks that are taller than me, hopefully one day I'll find a 6'4 blonde and settle down and have lots of tall children. haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

i think lobeila was just being cheeky (hence the :P) no need to take it so seriously. i'm just pulling a guess out of the air here but as shes a woman, well over 6f, i'd imagine guys might have said similar about her in the past.

I've been called intimidating! by a fella who was 6ft LOL

I have several friends [online] who are tall women and they all say they don't/never will again date a shorter man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

Some really interesting points made in this Thread, its generated a lot of interest. I'm trying not to Judge, it does seem kind of sad ( meant in the best possibly way) that Woman can't get around the idea of dating a smaller man. If you automatically pass on every small guy, I guess your just limiting your chances of finding the right guy and possibly relaxed, as ease happiness. It frankly IS shallow and the same arguement could be made for all those other "reasons" not to go out with a guy/girl. Seems like you would be automatically limiting yourself and your chances of happieness. If thats the way you think you can probably only be as happy in your life as you let yourself be. We all compromise, but sometimes those choices are extremely short sighted and may (and a lot of time do) lead to that question - "Are there any nice guys out there?" Answer is...there are but frankly because of your attitude they probably don't want to be with you anyway

I'm not trying to get on my High Horse, I've made mistakes, I have underestimated people in the past, but I'm getting to an age now where I think I'm starting to realise that all I've done was hurt people and limit the quality of my life because of my choices

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Ladies, I am not as emotional about this cause I am 6 ft but my best mate is 2 inches smaller than his moth but built like a tank cause of this everybody starts on him when we are out. You think he is violent

No, He is the smartest wittiest man I know I have never seen a man to cut someone down so quick. Why is his moth with him " Becuase I feel safe and I am going out with my best friend"

There you have it. I think if women had there way they would be going out with prince charming and men snow white but honestly ladies its people both men and women with exceptional high standards that end up with nobody

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sparewheel

could never with someone smaller than me..it just looks wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I'm a guy either 5'7" or 5'8", athletic build, weigh about 10.5 stone. So pretty average figures there. Was with a girl who was 5'11" and I simply couldn't do it, it was no problem for her but I hated being smaller than her.. And I am absolutely comfortable with my height, not tiny but by no means tall - I just prefer to either be the same size as my gf or taller, luckily my current gf is only about 5'3" :D

sparewheel wrote: »
    could never with someone smaller than me..it just looks wrong

And that attitude is probably why you'll continue to be the .....sparewheel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I love being 6'3", alleviate's any problems with having a female friend taller than me!!! But when I see a couple where the male is smaller, I always giggle, because it just looks strange to me. I know Relationships are not built on size, (well not the size I am talking about), but still it looks strange to me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

My OH is about an inch taller than me, im 5ft 3 but id be a little taller than him when i wear heels. For the women who say they need a man to be taller to feel secure and safe, this is bull. It has nothing to do with their physical size, he could be 6ft 2 and a total wimp!! Ive never felt as secure or safe in my whole life than i have with this man and its all to do with his personality, how he treats me and the amount of respect he has for me. Ive been with much taller, well built guys who look like men but sure as hell were not men at all!!! Just my two cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Asolutely love how guys reserve the right not to be attracted to girls who are 'bigger', yet get all up in arms when women honestly say they're not attracted to guys who are smaller.

You can't help who you fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

I love being 6'3", alleviate's any problems with having a female friend taller than me!!! But when I see a couple where the male is smaller, I always giggle
    you're 6'3 and you giggle? not a good look.
    shouldn't it be more of a booming laugh?
    take your direction from this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

shellyboo wrote: »
    Asolutely love how guys reserve the right not to be attracted to girls who are 'bigger', yet get all up in arms when women honestly say they're not attracted to guys who are smaller.

Actually, Ive been biting my tongue all thread long wanting to say:
    If a guy sweepingly stated that he could never go out with a fatter woman he would get so much flak, but it seems socially acceptable for women to dismiss men on their height.
    shellyboo wrote:
    You can't help who you fancy.

Unfortunately this is true. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Galvasean wrote: »
    If a guy sweepingly stated that he could never go out with a fatter woman he would get so much flak, but it seems socially acceptable for women to dismiss men on their height.

Not the same thing. You can't go on a diet and lose height.

EDIT: Not that I see anything wrong with a guy making such a statement!

Galvasean wrote: »

And it's not socially acceptable for a guy to dismiss a woman because she's fat? Are we living on the same planet?

Getting flak for SAYING something is one thing, and plenty of flak has been given in this thread to women saying they'd 'never date a short guy'; just as flak is given for men who'd say they'd never date a fat girl. But in the real world (ie not boards), I think both are pretty much accepted as ok things to do.

I'm really just observing it as the other side of the coin. I see so many threads saying 'but it's ok for men not to be attracted to fat girls, they can't help not fancying them'... no-one's come up with the same rationale here. Instead we're told we're basically going to die alone cos we're ignoring the short blokes :pac:
    Malari wrote: »
    Not the same thing. You can't go on a diet and lose height.

Totally true... what I'm complaining about is that men are coming on here saying 'oh it's no wonder you can't find a man if you're going to dismiss men who are shorter than you automatically without giving them a chance'... I find that a tad hypocritical because men do this with fat girls all the time. They make a judgement based on a physical attribute that in no way relates to what they'd be like as a person.

I'm also making the point that it's not some arbitrary thing that women pick to not like just for the lulz... you can't help who you're attracted to. As some men can't help not fancying fat girls, some women can't help not fancying short guys.

Instead we're told we're basically going to die alone cos we're ignoring the short blokes :pac:

Missed the point maybe
    As some men can't help not fancying fat girls, some women can't help not fancying short guys.

My very arguement would be those guy's lives would be all the more empty for that approach too
    I'm also making the point that it's not some arbitrary thing that women pick to not like just for the lulz... you can't help who you're attracted to

Good point, but there are (should be - in a healthy relationship) more criteria in the mix. Its not all about fancying someone. If you learn to look for the more important things in a person (Compromise- the
    dirty word) - can make your life happier on the whole. Sure you wouldn't automatically look for the shortest person in the room and say- "I bet that guy has a really nice personality and would treat me well" :) but we are adults and we can make decisions on a relationship on things other than just fancying someone.

masonman wrote: »
    Missed the point maybe

That part was a joke :)

My very arguement would be those guy's lives would be all the more empty for that approach too

Good for you... not everyone's so openminded though :)

Good point, but there are (should be - in a healthy relationship) more criteria in the mix. Its not all about fancying someone. If you learn to look for the more important things in a person (Compromise- the
    dirty word) - can make your life happier on the whole. Sure you wouldn't automatically look for the shortest person in the room and say- "I bet that guy has a really nice personality and would treat me well" :) but we are adults and we can make decisions on a relationship on things other than just fancying someone.

I wholeheartedly agree - but it's a lot about fancying someone. You can't have a relationship with someone you don't find attractive on some level. However, that attraction can grow as you get to know a person - so you should, of course, never judge on first appearances.

That part was a joke :)
    Yes I had guessed that, I get jokes :) But I still think that the point was missed by the content of the rest of your post

I wholeheartedly agree - but it's a lot about fancying someone. You can't have a relationship with someone you don't find attractive on some level..

Exactly, good point - I stress your words "On Some level"

This very post was opened and argued that Height ( and later weight) is a reason to discount all those other reasons to be with someone.

That logic is flawed and unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kapama

I am 6 foot 4 and most guys i thinks a just plain scared of aproaching a girl that is taller than them. I would have to agree i prefer if a guy is my height but i have to say in Ireland there is not that many and if you do find one that you click with him wow what are the odds on that one:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

kapama wrote:
    I am 6 foot 4 and most guys i thinks a just plain scared of aproaching a girl that is taller than them.
    kapama wrote:
    I would have to agree i prefer if a guy is my height

lol.:pac:

So even if they approached you, they'd get rejected. Any wonder they are scared to make a move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

Is being 5'8 considered small by women?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sparewheel

bricky10 wrote: »

by most i would say no .. but in my opinion yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

And it's not socially acceptable for a guy to dismiss a woman because she's fat?

TBH no it is not socially acceptable. Anyone who says such a thin is immediately branded as shallow.
    Getting flak for SAYING something is one thing, and plenty of flak has been given in this thread to women saying they'd 'never date a short guy'; just as flak is given for men who'd say they'd never date a fat girl. But in the real world (ie not boards), I think both are pretty much accepted as ok things to do.

As above I'd tend to disagree. Anyone, be they male or female, who blanket refuses to consider members of the opposite due to one physical feature (shortness, weight, etc.) tends to be labelled as shallow.
    No that it's fair mind. As you said you can't help who you fancy so it's not their fault.
    Totally true... what I'm complaining about is that men are coming on here saying 'oh it's no wonder you can't find a man if you're going to dismiss men who are shorter than you automatically without giving them a chance'... I find that a tad hypocritical because men do this with fat girls all the time. They make a judgement based on a physical attribute that in no way relates to what they'd be like as a person.

On a side note; it's weird how being picky about physical attributes gets people flak, but the same isn't said for personality ones. ("Boo! You're prejudice against people who are grumpy/crazy, you'll never find a partner with an attitude like that!" :pac:)
    I'm also making the point that it's not some arbitrary thing that women pick to not like just for the lulz... you can't help who you're attracted to. As some men can't help not fancying fat girls, some women can't help not fancying short guys.

That's only partially true, most of the responses in the early stages of the thread took the OP's side. Heck the original post called short guys all sorts of horrible names such as 'hobbit' and 'smurf'. It's one thing to say they arent your thing, but anyone who goes any further is just being nasty. People wouldn't call a person with a weight problem 'whale' or 'elephant' (unless y'know they were mean pricks), yet calling a short person (who can't exactly change their plight) 'funny' names seems fair game.
    bricky10 wrote: »

Yes. :o

*is 5'8*

Advertisement