Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How low will you go?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wtf-09

Buy him high heels...perfect solution...or better still give him yours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

shellyboo wrote: »

You absolutely can't control who you fancy. You can't manufacture sexual chemistry or attraction. If you can, I'd love to know how.

True, but we are coming back to that old chestnut - theres more to the fleeting "fancy" feeling. Also, there are
    different attributes that qualify to allow us to "fancy" someone than Height/Weight/personality etc
    I think Psychological/social aspects have a larger part to play than this sexual chemistry you speak of. We are highly
    suggestible beings- we pick up on those things throughout our lives, family, friends, media etc . These can have a direct effect
    of our desires. Its not irreversible - but maybe needs to be acknowledged first.
    I can't believe its as black and white as innate sexual chemistry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

masonman wrote: »
    True, but we are coming back to that old chestnut - theres more to the fleeting "fancy" feeling. Also, there are
    different attributes that qualify to allow us to "fancy" someone than Height/Weight/personality etc
    I think Psychological/social aspects have a larger part to play than this sexual chemistry you speak of. We are highly
    suggestible beings- we pick up on those things throughout our lives, family, friends, media etc . These can have a direct effect
    of our desires. Its not irreversible - but maybe needs to be acknowledged first.
    I can't believe its as black and white as innate sexual chemistry

Oh, ok so we just have a language barrier. By fancy I mean all that crap you just said. It's attraction more than fancying really, deeper than observing "that person is good looking". Like me and Tom Cruise - yeah, he's good looking, but I don't fancy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I'm only 5'1 and the guys I've been with have been 6'2, 6'4 (yeah we looked odd together), and 6'1.

I just like taller guys. Don't consider it shallow - it's like some guys falling for blondes, or whatever. I tend to fall for tall guys.

shellyboo wrote: »
    Oh, ok so we just have a language barrier. By fancy I mean all that crap you just said. It's attraction more than fancying really, deeper than observing "that person is good looking". Like me and Tom Cruise - yeah, he's good looking, but I don't fancy him.

No....I don't think thats the problem

Tom Cruise was great in Mission Impossible, but he won't get us out of this hole :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭nevershutsup

yea im 5ft barely anythin ... i could not go with a guy smaller than me shallow or not i like my man taller .... better for cuddles too ....

in fairness now if he was smaller than me i wouldn of fancied him in the first place... harsh but whatever....

whatever....

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lickleMo

I don't think I would go for a guy that was really small....but that's because I'm 5ft10. But I wouldn't have a problem going out with a guy a little smaller than me. some guys don't like when girls are taller than them....others don't mind it. ....I think it's all quite relative. My preference would be a guy taller than me....But it is sometimes hard to meet them, esp since I wear heels when I go out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Dont honestly get it!.whats wrong with a guy that is a little smaller then you. if the person if fun to be with with and has a good personatily why has this a baring on things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Pure physical attraction will always play a part in any relationship, let's be honest. So the fact that I am attracted physically to a taller man means that I am more likely to fancy them as a person.

That said, if a good-looking,tall guy was an a$shole, well then I probably wouldn't be attracted to him.

And I guess if I met a really nice, perfect guy who happened to be a little shorter, I'd get over the whole height thing. Tall guys are just a general preference rather than a strictly observed rule.

That said, my friends find it hilarious - I'm the shortest in our group (not by much now, I'm 5'7'' which is pretty standard) but I'm the only one who has a real thing for height...

For a comparison, one of my friends finds redheads inexplicably attractive. Does that mean she's shallow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Caoimhe89 wrote: »
    For a comparison, one of my friends finds redheads inexplicably attractive. Does that mean she's shallow?
    Nope just weird...... *runs from moonbaby*

Height in a guy is just one feature of attraction. Social value may be another. Well built yet another. Financial independence, hair colour, emotional strength etc etc. If you're a short guy, yes you'll have some disadvantage compared to a taller guy. Same if you're skinny or fat. The package is what does it though. Especially for women. Women are in general more discerning than men when it comes to attraction. At least their requirements are less visually obvious. If the rest of your life and persona is up to speed, then even if you're shorter, fatter, skinnier or whatever, you'll still attract your fair share of women. The biggest lothario I personally know is about 5' 5", about a stone over what he should be, and not exactly pretty so.....

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

I suppose it rules out alot of celebs. It's like the shorter folk have a pre-disposition for fame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Caoimhe89 wrote: »

no i like redheaded women actully they can be the most attractive, out of all hair colours they can make me, turn into a dog and start howling at the mooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnn :D

I'm 5'8 so... there is no way I would go near someone shorter than me..

So, No, they dont do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

5'11 here, i wea heels a lot too. I get uncomfortable around shorter men but they're the ones who seem to go for me:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lickleMo

Alessandra wrote: »
    5'11 here, i wea heels a lot too. I get uncomfortable around shorter men but they're the ones who seem to go for me:confused:

Ha! I know the feeling!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 room18

I am 5'8/9, and I do feel really uncomfortable going out with ladies who are taller than me in high heels, never mind being taller than me without them.
    I must say for someone who is in my height bracket, it is difficult to pull at a club! Unless your are very striking good looking person, you havent got much of a chance. And I know there are girls who have no problem with the whole height thing, but for the majority...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Alessandra wrote: »

Why though? And perhaps if you gave it a bit of time, that feeling would fade. Who knows who you're missing out on meeting if you limit yourself like that?
    room18 wrote: »
    I am 5'8/9, and I do feel really uncomfortable going out with ladies who are taller than me in high heels, never mind being taller than me without them.
    I must say for someone who is in my height bracket, it is difficult to pull at a club! Unless your are very striking good looking person, you havent got much of a chance. And I know there are girls who have no problem with the whole height thing, but for the majority...

See, you're put out that the majority of girls don't go for shorter men, just after complaining that tall girls make you feel uncomfortable. I'm 5'11'' and a mans height is pretty unimportant to me, which, lets face it, is just as well.

As I just said, who knows who you're ruling out by, well, ruling so many out...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

See, you're put out that the majority of girls don't go for shorter men, just after complaining that tall girls make you feel uncomfortable. I'm 5'11'' and a mans height is pretty unimportant to me, which, lets face it, is just as well.

I've noticed loads of couples lately where the girl is taller than the guy, not bothered checking out heels, but it's nice to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

bizzare enough thread tbh... as long as were not talking midget territory it should be a non-issue. in fairness ireland has got it's fair share of shallow people, just look at some of the threads on this forum ffs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I understand a lot of opinions in this thread, but people moaning about others being shallow because they might disregard someone for being short is a bit silly.

In majority of cases no matter how much people deny it, physical appearance is what attacts you there and personality is what keeps you there, they go hand in hand, at least in my opinion.

Saying that i prefer a woman shorter than me, i'm only 5'10" though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Why though? And perhaps if you gave it a bit of time, that feeling would fade. Who knows who you're missing out on meeting if you limit yourself like that?

You can't really change who you're attracted/not attracted to, though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I think she means attraction can grow if you like someone for their other qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

A few years ago I read about a survey that had calculated the ratio of the height of the man to women across a massive number of couples. They also had statistics of how long these couples stayed together.

Based on the length of the relationships, the perfect height ratio supposedly is 1:1.109 and was extremely consistent across the couples.

So girl 5'7", guy 6'2".

However extremely tall or short attract the opposite extreme, hence 6'6" guy with 5'0" girl.

I'm 6'2" and it definitely works for me if she's not in heels. I'd still be taller even with heels, but it just doesn't feel the same.

Could never figure out why not attracted to some of my girl friends who are gorgeous, seems they were either too tall or small.

luap_42 wrote: »
    A few years ago I read about a survey that had calculated the ratio of the height of the man to women across a massive number of couples. They also had statistics of how long these couples stayed together.

I think I saw a similar "experiment" on Brainiac

I can do science me :rolleyes:

luap_42 wrote: »

Could never figure out why not attracted to some of my girl friends who are gorgeous, seems they were either too tall or small.

SEEMS like you've really explored and exhausted the possibilities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Height alone is really important to so many girls. Im 5'7 and ive approached girls in clubs only for them to turn around and say "hey i think your really hot but your just too small for me". Even thou these girls are the same height or smaller than me. It happened numerous of times. My height doesn't bother me. My usual answer to these comments are "good things come in small packages" or "we're all the same height lying down". It never worked thou :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

GiftofGab wrote: »
    My height doesn't bother me. My usual answer to these comments are "good things come in small packages" or "we're all the same height lying down". It never worked thou :(

It will, when it matters most.

Much better to be with someone who likes you regardless of how you measure up in the height stakes, than someone who considers feet and inches a pre-requisite for happiness.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Exactly I used be a height snob when I was younger, but having gone out with a couple of guys the same height (five eight) or close to it, have no issues with it.
    Much better to be with someone who likes you regardless of how you measure up in the height stakes, than someone who considers feet and inches a pre-requisite for happiness.

+1 to all of the above, I've gone out with guys much taller than me, and the same height as me, it makes little difference in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

went out with a guy for over two years who was shorter than me and the guy before him was my height. Didn't really make a difference to me to be honest. However now the guy I'm with is a lot taller than me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I'm 5'6 and did go out with a guy years ago who was the same height or maybe 5'5', i always wear heels when I'm out so I was towering over him, since then I've always gone for taller guys...current boyfriend is 5'9 which is nice and I still feel protected..

Advertisement